ADVERTISEMENT

NW 3/4A

I think last night's game should have been 21-7 Gaffney. Freedom's long TD pass getting called back because two guys were mixing it up in the backfield was the sort of call that makes your face twitch for days afterwards. Legitimately the game could have been as close as 21-14 if Freedom comes down with a TD pass that was dropped on the goal line in the first half (it's possible a defender got a hand in). There was one TD Gaffney scored where Freedom had multiple shots at a tackle and couldn't bring the kid down, which was another face twitcher.

But Gaffney made mistakes as well and it could have been as bad as 45-0 if they executed well. There were a couple of turnovers inside Patriot territory that could have led to more points for the Indians, so consider that as well. Ultimately the young Patriot team showed me something by not being overwhelmed by an athletic team in an intimidating environment (lots of small colleges don't have a stadium as nice as "the reservation"). I'm hopeful going forward after last night.

I think last night's game should have been 21-7 Gaffney. Freedom's long TD pass getting called back because two guys were mixing it up in the backfield was the sort of call that makes your face twitch for days afterwards. Legitimately the game could have been as close as 21-14 if Freedom comes down with a TD pass that was dropped on the goal line in the first half (it's possible a defender got a hand in). There was one TD Gaffney scored where Freedom had multiple shots at a tackle and couldn't bring the kid down, which was another face twitcher.

But Gaffney made mistakes as well and it could have been as bad as 45-0 if they executed well. There were a couple of turnovers inside Patriot territory that could have led to more points for the Indians, so consider that as well. Ultimately the young Patriot team showed me something by not being overwhelmed by an athletic team in an intimidating environment (lots of small colleges don't have a stadium as nice as "the reservation"). I'm hopeful going forward after last night.
I was expecting a rout by Gaffney but freedom held there own.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Week 5
Chase @ Freedom
Hibriten @ Oak Grove
South Caldwell @ Cuthbertson
North Davidson @ Watauga
Sun Valley @ Alexander Central
Ashe @ Johnson County

Last of the non conference games then I think everyone has a bye before conference starts.

I'll take:
Freedom
Hibriten (we just need to get out healthy)
Cuthbertson
Watauga
Sun Valley
Ashe

Last edited:
Agreed... I bet Ashe will be glad to get out of 3a next year... Playing 3a with 2a numbers has been a downfall for them

Reactions: beamer24
The idea was how could we account for the real differences that exist between some of the schools in the system. Take the parochials for instance. Nobody thinks that Catholic is the same as other schools with 1200 kids or that Bishop McGuiness is like any other rural or small town 1A school. It's clear that those schools are drawn from a population that is more likely to be middle class or higher, than a traditional public school. The kids that go to those schools may have advantages that kids at other schools don't (and we can often see this by how they do in the "country club" sports like tennis, golf and swimming).

But how do you account for that? You've got to have some objective way to determine that for classification, so they used the numbers of kids who are on free or reduced lunch. The intent of the rule was to try to see if there was a way to make things "fairer" for traditional public schools who have to compete against non-traditionals and we all know there have been plenty of complaints about how Bishop dominates girls' basketball or how hard it was for 3A schools to go up against Catholic. Under this system at least Catholic had to go up in classification.

Ashe county cant pull from everywhere like bishop and Charlotte catholic can though lol

The idea was how could we account for the real differences that exist between some of the schools in the system. Take the parochials for instance. Nobody thinks that Catholic is the same as other schools with 1200 kids or that Bishop McGuiness is like any other rural or small town 1A school. It's clear that those schools are drawn from a population that is more likely to be middle class or higher, than a traditional public school. The kids that go to those schools may have advantages that kids at other schools don't (and we can often see this by how they do in the "country club" sports like tennis, golf and swimming).

But how do you account for that? You've got to have some objective way to determine that for classification, so they used the numbers of kids who are on free or reduced lunch. The intent of the rule was to try to see if there was a way to make things "fairer" for traditional public schools who have to compete against non-traditionals and we all know there have been plenty of complaints about how Bishop dominates girls' basketball or how hard it was for 3A schools to go up against Catholic. Under this system at least Catholic had to go up in classification.
I'd prefer some type of multiplier instead of the free lunch and wells fargo cup scores.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK and KW23
I would think that is the way to go. I think when SC realigned this past year, they said any kid that lives out of district counts 1.5. So basically for charter schools every kid counted 1.5, and at the traditional public any transfer that didnt live in the district counts 1.5

I would think that is the way to go. I think when SC realigned this past year, they said any kid that lives out of district counts 1.5. So basically for charter schools every kid counted 1.5, and at the traditional public any transfer that didnt live in the district counts 1.5
Ya that concept seems a little more realistic, especially from a numbers standpoint.

The association was trying something new and trying to figure it all out. Looking at what other states have done and copying them is fine, but I think using the cup standings is fine. A school that consistently dominates their classification should be moved up and those that are regularly near the bottom can be moved down.

Reactions: beamer24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT