ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern 4A/3A

I think Freedom/Alex Central game is a toss up. Both teams are great at under achieving.
it really could go either way, and no one would be surprised.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Watauga should handle Hickory by 2 plus scores. I was impressed with Hickory's
performance against Freedom and Coach Stone is the real deal. Watauaga is just
another animal when it comes to this area!

Watauga has a way of keeping pressure on,opposing defenses..they run a unique offense and it is hard to control and stop even when you know what's coming. I don't think anyone can be counted out just yet .. But after this week some of the dust will settle ..It seems to me that AC and Freedom are in a must win situation..Hickory will have their hands full but they have good athletes and if they play,well they could give Watauga a fit..i have alot of respect for Coach Brewer at McDowell..Im wishing everyone a safe and good night

It looks like another night if great games..Watauga had a rough first half as Hickory did give them a hard time.The Pioneers controlled the second half and won 56 to 28. I saw where Freedom came back and beat AC..good win for them. I also saw where South Caldwell cruised over McDowell. Watauga gets St.Stephens next week and they always give Watauga a hard time..especially at their place. Things are starting to develop playoff wise but we still have a ways to go and some,games to be,played to determine the pairings...

Too much Castle for Hickory to contain tonight in the high country. Cody Young had a decent game for the Red Tornadoes. With tonight's performance he closed to within 100 yards of his father, Al Young, on the HHS career rushing list. He now has 2005 yards for his career.
Alexander Central will have an awful memory of their loss to Freedom after losing a 17 point 4th quarter lead to fall 46-42.

Watauga continues to eat up this conference, even with Satterfield on the sideline. Sounds like Hickory played them better than most but just wore down. Will be interesting to see how this conference finishes 2-5.

Hickory had them on the ropes in the first half..the double pass for a touchdown the last play of the half tied it up. Watauga had no real answer for young or the passing game,of Hickory in the first half. Castle had 200 yards plus rushing..it remains to be seen what they will do with Saint Stephens as they have always seemed to have issues playing down there. Hickory plays hard and has good athletes..they seemed to me to be trending upward.

Watauga has over 600 yards of total offense..Anderson Castle 4 touchdowns running and 3 passing..watauga had the ball for only 19 minutes..no drive over 5 plays I believe..St Stephens had no defense for the Pioneers. 67 to 14 with a-running-clock at approximately 8 minutes to go in the third quarter..They only have 27 Varsity players. Having gets them ready to play every week.

I think the Watauga/Freedom game will have a basketball score.... something like 64 to 56

Freedom will not keep watauga from scoring lots, only hope is to outscore. I give Watauga a 2 touchdown advantage

That game will have alot of outside factors ..I agree with your assessment..Watauga has-played pretty good defense minus the Reagan game but Freedom presents matchup problems. Freedom will have-the speed advantage and Birchfield..Watauga will habe the-equalizer with Castle and a-discipline advantage..this one-could go either way..Watauga is certainly on a-mission as they have only punted 5 times in-the last 4 weeks. Freedom has been fighting hard..i am looking forward to this one and wish both teams well...

Reactions: patsfball
Anytime a matchup includes a D1 QB, things are always interesting. Even more so when he has been accepted to a prestige college like Navy. That tells me Birchfield is extremely intelligent, makes smart decisions, and has great discipline. I think Watauga must play their most disciplined game since Reagan, but also, take some chances on different blitz packages. If he gets comfortable in the backfield, Birchfield will eat Watauga's defense alive. Watauga has been able to put together a few solid defenses over the last 3-4 seasons, this one is the least of those.

Always enjoy a matchup with Freedom, they're a classy bunch of folks down in Mo-Town. Always enjoy visiting my grandparents down there. Best of luck to both teams, I'll be cheering on my Pioneers from afar.

God Bless!!!

Good to hear from you Doss. Birchfield is a very good QB. Plays with a lot of confidence
and poise. And yes, this matchup is normally a good one and should play a big part in playoff seeding
for both. Watauga continues to impress even with Satterfield on the sideline. Pretty amazing what Habich
has done with that program. Glad to see it!

Habich and Castle will be too much for Freedom to overcome. I really see it as a 49-21 game with the Pioneers coming out on top and getting into trading scores with Watauga is not a wise move.

Watauga takes down a spirited and talented Freedom team tonight for their second straight conference championship 48 to 33. Watauga punted once . Anderson Castle over 200 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns .Jaden Birchfield played a tremendous game for the Patriots. Watauga used to be laughed at in the nineties..times have changed..both teams showed alot of heart and are to be congratulated for some great plays and efforts

Watauga takes down a spirited and talented Freedom team tonight for their second straight conference championship 48 to 33. Watauga punted once . Anderson Castle over 200 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns .Jaden Birchfield played a tremendous game for the Patriots. Watauga used to be laughed at in the nineties..times have changed..both teams showed alot of heart and are to be congratulated for some great plays and efforts

I listened to Mike Kelly call the 2nd half and he made me feel like I was there. What a great high school football game and the best team came out on top. Castle seems like he's been a Pioneer for 10 years and I wish him luck going forward, but am glad to see him graduate.

A week off should help the Pioneers going into the playoffs and we'll see if they can win a few more.

Last edited:
Mike has be there about 25 years and has always been a very positive announcer for whoever was involved in-a-game with-Watauga. If I am-correct there has been a Castle at qb for the past 6 years since his brother was there before him. Birchfield is the real deal. He made big play after big play for Freedom. I-hope-that both teams make a run in the playoffs.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Awesome night for Watauga. Back-to-back conference champions isn't something I've ever been able to associate with the Pioneers in my lifetime. Habich has done a fantastic job in aiding those young men to buy into his program. Great game by Freedom, they just would not go away. Feels like Freedom may get over the hump again next year, Watauga loses quite a bit of talent after this season.

BTW, when I still lived in Boone, I would talk to Mike Kelly on the phone regularly. His personality on the radio is identical to in person and on the phone. He is an amazing man, always upbeat, loves sports and watching the young generations excel athletically.

On to the playoffs. Best of luck next week everyone!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT