ADVERTISEMENT

North Davidson Football

Stanimallector

Jun 11, 2004
I was talking to a parent that works with me, who kids will be attended the New School Oak Groove in Davidson County and they said that North Davidson will be allowed to keep their Raising juniors and seniors, which will make them a 4a school playing on the 2a level for the next 2 years before redistricting will be enforced. He said they feel like they will have a really good shot at winning the state championship in 2AA. I had to break the news to him that they're going to be mighty disappointed if they think they're going to drop down in classification and mow over everyone. The elite teams in 2A and 2AA can compete with the good teams in 4A. North Davidson is a good 4A team but they were never on the elite level. Thoughts ?

They also lost a really good head coach to the new school.

2015 North Davidson put a really impressive team on the field.

They will be a tough out in the playoffs but a lot football to be played.

They will dominate our conference and make some noise in the playoffs. I'd be a little surprised if they would win it all.

Reactions: Stanimallector
Their overall numbers will be like a 3A school until everyone has cycled through. They have been very good playing in the CPC and competing for titles against schools with several hundred more students. The Defense has to improve and they lost one of the best QBs in the state to graduation.

North Davidson will be very good. The new coach was the offensive coordinator for the past few years when North really put a lot of points on the board. However, many coaches from North have already gone to Oak Grove and they will be pressed to get coaches on board quickly and establish cohesiveness.

The defense has been less than stellar the last couple of years but moving down to 2A should help their performance, at least until the playoffs when they play 2A powers. Gotta get that unit shored up...

Special teams are not a worry. North has the best kicker in the state, committed to NC State and he punts as well as kicks.

North will start the season with a tough schedule featuring 3A Mount Tabor, 4A Davie County and 3A Asheville. They will then probably roll throught the CCC without much interference, except from maybe Ledford, East Davidson and Thomasville if those schools turn out to be good.

I don't know if North will win a state championship, but they sure do have a good foundation of talent in place to be seeking one.

I have the feeling it will start going down hill after this year. The county did ND no favor with the way the district lines were drawn.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
It will be interesting to see how ND does this year. After the first couple of non-conference games, they shouldn't meet any real resistance until a few rounds deep in the playoffs. I don't expect them to win it all, however. I would expect that there are a few 2A teams capable of beating them.

Coach Holcomb to Oak Grove was a big loss. The word on Flynn around here is that he is a very good offensive mind, but it remains to be seen if he has the temperament to be a head coach. Hopefully he will prove to be up to the task and the kids will want to play hard for him.

As Blue Star stated, North Davidson has a small window of time here to be really good. The way the districts are split up and with Holcomb going to Oak Grove, expect Oak Grove to be the power in the county in three years or so.

Waiting for that shelby fan to show up and say... "We beat such and such that lost to such and such that beat such and such that lost to such and such that beat North Davidson so therefore we can beat Alabama"

or

"4A Schools in NC play no competition and are all their wins and titles dont matter because Shelby might hypothetically beat them if Shelby ever played big schools that were not mediocre mountain schools"

Waiting for that shelby fan to show up and say... "We beat such and such that lost to such and such that beat such and such that lost to such and such that beat North Davidson so therefore we can beat Alabama"

or

"4A Schools in NC play no competition and are all their wins and titles dont matter because Shelby might hypothetically beat them if Shelby ever played big schools that were not mediocre mountain schools"
Seriously, you're starting to bring up "Shelby" in more threads than any Shelby poster. Get off our @&$@$, it's not a good look for you. You support a well respected, very successful program, too, these shots you're constantly taking at Shelby isn't a good look.

Last edited:
Seriously, you're starting to bring up "Shelby" in more threads than any Shelby poster. Get off our @&$@$, it's not a good look for you. You support a well respected, very successful program, too, these shots you're constantly taking at Shelby isn't a good look.

First, and rightfully foremost, I have a high amount of respect for Shelby as a community and football program. Genuinely good folk in Cleveland County. So maybe I should clear up a few things.

While interpreting this post or others as a shot is understandable, it really is not. Most of my posts in regards to SHS are made in jest, (if anyone thought I seriously believed Shelby bused in kids on ADM day to boost their numbers to avoid Reidsville, then they are an idiot) but I can get feisty when someone is just posting out of his you know what, acting as if their fine program is holier than thou.

This most recent post is more of a mockery, with a tad a malicious intent, of some of the comments we have all seen over and over again from certain, not all, Shelby fans. I simply just cant stand someone that pridefully boasts their teams accomplishments, while continuously bashing the accomplishments of others. Im not talking about "Smack Talk" Im talking about being a short name version of Richard. Lion Attack, I dont consider you to fall in the latter category.

So, instead of posting something perceived as a "shot", moving forward I will just call the person at fault an idiot and move on to commenting about the topic at hand, in this case a North Davidson program that has talent and depth that will make them a viable contender for the 2AA championship.

If they want State this is their window, because the shift will hurt in two years. Our time as big dog in DC is over. I know Lexington and Ledford especially are licking their chops.

Ledford will lose wallburg to oak grove, I don't think things will be getting better for them. But yes, the city schools are going to love it. Don't sleep on East either, this benefits them greatly.

not to beat a dead horse, but to beat a dead horse, North especially better enjoy the next 2, maybe 3 years max because once Oak Grove gets up and running with full enrollment 9-12, they'll be the marquee program in that neck of the woods. Ledford will feel some hurt losing the Wallburg area, but not nearly as bad as North. Ledford will still have enough kids from Friendship and Hasty area to be competitive

Forgot Ledford was losing from this also, but that said this still narrows the field A LOT for them against ND.

Still have a lot of conflicting feelings about Holcomb leaving, but dang I love the guy and he was probably smart enough to which way the wind blows. He should do well at Oak Grove.

Good observations guys. I love Holcomb and would still run through a wall for him. I wish Flynn the best as well. JV GAME IS GOING TO BE PACKED!!!

Ledford will lose wallburg to oak grove, I don't think things will be getting better for them. But yes, the city schools are going to love it. Don't sleep on East either, this benefits them greatly.

How would this benefit East? (Just curious. I'm not all that familiar with Davidson County)

I have watched Holcomb a bit. Guy is an excellent football coach.

Off topic.....but just read that Ledford DB Coleman Reich just committed to UNC. Congrats to that young man.

This whole talk of the demise of North Davidson athletics is a little premature IMO. It is also a little amusing when you actually sit back and take it all in. For the folks outside of the ND area, the reason folks are saying this is because the Midway community is leaving ND. Yes, there have been some great athletes come through ND over the years from Midway, but EVERYBODY acts as if the kids from Welcome, Arcadia and the Reedy Creek areas just stand there in awe from Midway kids, LOL! Nobody actually wants to say out loud why they think Oak Grove will be dominate in Davidson County (in football), it's because the majority of the African-American kids at ND normally come from Midway. I guess folks are just uneasy to say that in this day and age.

Just last week in the Lexington paper, Coach Flynn was asked how many kids he lost to Oak Grove (JV) this year. Now, remember, all kids on the ND JV team this year will be at ND for the remainder of their high school careers, and I saw them Saturday during a practice and they easily still had 40+ JV players. His reply was "9 or 10 kids". Now for those outside of the area, ND and Ledford usually average around 40-50 JV players apiece every year. IMO, for ND to only lose 9 or 10 to OGHS is telling. I have said from day 1 that Ledford would eventually be the one taking the biggest hit from Oak Grove. Wallburg has always been the lifeblood of Ledford and now it is gone.

Mark Holcomb going to Oak Grove will make them good in football, because the guy is a heck of a coach, but let's not forget who has been running the ND offense for the last few years. Flynn is a VERY good offensive mind and I personally think he will do a great job at ND. A lot of people I know really thought Flynn would actually get the Oak Grove job. The ND/OG games will definitely be intense in the next few years.

When the dusts settles and Oak Grove has all four grades stocked up, I think a lot of folks are going to see that not only will ND and Oak Grove have around the same amount of students, but that ND isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It would benefit East because they're in a curious predicament of having some good talent there and coming up. Ledford used to be the big Thomasville school but now East will be. That's why I think Ledford losing kids makes them more formidable, because of the numbers.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
It would benefit East because they're in a curious predicament of having some good talent there and coming up. Ledford used to be the big Thomasville school but now East will be. That's why I think Ledford losing kids makes them more formidable, because of the numbers.
BKN, I agree about the numbers. But East lost a really good coach in Vance Hanner. I really believe he is the reason East has had success against Thomasville in the last few years. I have no idea how East will adjust with their new coach, but I believe Hanner is now an assistant at Ledford. In general, Ledford has had better athletes than East. That may change with the Oak Grove opening.

or

LA...we're so far in this guy's head that he dreams about us....lol.

I can get feisty when someone is just posting out of his you know what, acting as if their fine program is holier than thou.

I simply just cant stand someone that pridefully boasts their teams accomplishments, while continuously bashing the accomplishments of others.

I will just call the person at fault an idiot...

It is....that isn't opinion, it is statistically proven....factual information. You guys have the most titles...period. Most may have been in archaic times with leather helmets and not a single one in a unified class but you can't argue against the number. You also had a 3 decade, 30 year, recent absence from championship play.....period. Again, you can't argue against it. It is fact. We live on facts....always...never opinion.

We are very prideful and we boast, only when provoked. We can't stand when someone claims to be something they most certainly are not. And when that happens, we will always be here to set the record straight. If you haven't realized, we never start these things....we only end them....and some people get their feelings hurt by the truth. And we never bash other's accomplishments.....we accept all statistical information and only present it in the correct place in line when it may have been taken out of order.

Be careful of the "rules".....but you'll never "cut" us.....as hard as you may try.

Oh yeah....and good luck to North Davidson...maybe we will meet up in the playoffs!

BKN, I agree about the numbers. But East lost a really good coach in Vance Hanner. I really believe he is the reason East has had success against Thomasville in the last few years. I have no idea how East will adjust with their new coach, but I believe Hanner is now an assistant at Ledford. In general, Ledford has had better athletes than East. That may change with the Oak Grove opening.
I agree to an extent. Hanner got the ball rolling, and we'll find out if the new coach can keep it going. The system is going to be the same essentially, and East has a ton of starters coming back. But this year won't tell us, the next few years will when the new coach has kids he developed on the JV level.

LA...we're so far in this guy's head that he dreams about us....lol.

It is....that isn't opinion, it is statistically proven....factual information. You guys have the most titles...period. Most may have been in archaic times with leather helmets and not a single one in a unified class but you can't argue against the number. You also had a 3 decade, 30 year, recent absence from championship play.....period. Again, you can't argue against it. It is fact. We live on facts....always...never opinion.

We are very prideful and we boast, only when provoked. We can't stand when someone claims to be something they most certainly are not. And when that happens, we will always be here to set the record straight. If you haven't realized, we never start these things....we only end them....and some people get their feelings hurt by the truth. And we never bash other's accomplishments.....we accept all statistical information and only present it in the correct place in line when it may have been taken out of order.

Be careful of the "rules".....but you'll never "cut" us.....as hard as you may try.

Oh yeah....and good luck to North Davidson...maybe we will meet up in the playoffs!

Again, discrediting and bashing others accomplishments.

Gotcha.

Im alil shocked HP Andrews don't have more non conference games with Davidson co schools.

This whole talk of the demise of North Davidson athletics is a little premature IMO. It is also a little amusing when you actually sit back and take it all in. For the folks outside of the ND area, the reason folks are saying this is because the Midway community is leaving ND. Yes, there have been some great athletes come through ND over the years from Midway, but EVERYBODY acts as if the kids from Welcome, Arcadia and the Reedy Creek areas just stand there in awe from Midway kids, LOL! Nobody actually wants to say out loud why they think Oak Grove will be dominate in Davidson County (in football), it's because the majority of the African-American kids at ND normally come from Midway. I guess folks are just uneasy to say that in this day and age.

Just last week in the Lexington paper, Coach Flynn was asked how many kids he lost to Oak Grove (JV) this year. Now, remember, all kids on the ND JV team this year will be at ND for the remainder of their high school careers, and I saw them Saturday during a practice and they easily still had 40+ JV players. His reply was "9 or 10 kids". Now for those outside of the area, ND and Ledford usually average around 40-50 JV players apiece every year. IMO, for ND to only lose 9 or 10 to OGHS is telling. I have said from day 1 that Ledford would eventually be the one taking the biggest hit from Oak Grove. Wallburg has always been the lifeblood of Ledford and now it is gone.

Mark Holcomb going to Oak Grove will make them good in football, because the guy is a heck of a coach, but let's not forget who has been running the ND offense for the last few years. Flynn is a VERY good offensive mind and I personally think he will do a great job at ND. A lot of people I know really thought Flynn would actually get the Oak Grove job. The ND/OG games will definitely be intense in the next few years.

When the dusts settles and Oak Grove has all four grades stocked up, I think a lot of folks are going to see that not only will ND and Oak Grove have around the same amount of students, but that ND isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

ND is losing more than just Midway kids. They are also losing a good deal of Northern Arcadia that has had a lot of growth and development the past few years.

ND is losing more than just Midway kids. They are also losing a good deal of Northern Arcadia that has had a lot of growth and development the past few years.

You're talking about the Freidburgh community. Yes, I'm well aware they go to Oak Grove and I still stand by my post above. Sure, new neighborhoods have popped up in that area over the last few years but that doesn't mean every house has kids in it. The houses with kids may not turn out to have any athletes in it. Not every kid plays sports. Like I posted above, ND only losing 9 or 10 kids to Oak Grove this year tells me the majority of ND's football players are in the Welcome, Arcadia and Reedy Creek communities. Just my $0.02.

People that have been around Davidson County long enough need to remember back when ND was a 2A or 3A school the records weren't all that good. Growth really helped them drive that success of late along with a really good coach and staff. ND should be the team to beat with 105 kids. Ledford has adapted and learned to play athletic teams the last eight years playing Asheboro, North Forsyth and Southern Guilford so they will be solid. ED returns lots of starters but better enjoy it because the JV has been bad the last few seasons. Don't count out Lexington, Thomasville and Salisbury. All three were the top CCC JV programs the last few seasons so they will be athletic and Are well coached.

Actually, when North was a 2A school back in the 60s they pretty much dominated the county, with the exception of Lexington and Thomasville who were the big schools back in the day. Then North moved up to 3A and had great to average teams, hardly ever terrible. North didn't get their butts handed to them until moving up to 4A in the mid 80s for the first time.

Coaching played a big part. Don Palmer dominated people for years, Hinkle was an average coach and his record shows that. Cline was good but left because he was scared of the 4A schools. Hooker was awful, Petree turned things back around even though his varsity record doesn't show it. Stewart piggybacked off that, Butts took it to a whole new level, and Holcomb piggybacked off that his first time round. Fleming was put in a no-win situation, and Holcomb brought things back. Now it's Flynns turn...

Lol, what's the one percent you disagree on, sir? I love debate, it's good for language and understanding.

BKN, sorry for the delayed response, you make some very good points with your posts. The only one I would respectfully disagree with you on; I am not sure Cline "left" out of fear of class competition, don't really want to debate it much, as we know that was many years ago, not gonna change anything....I enjoy reading your comments, as a whole, I feel the same about the majority of your posts as you! Ready for a good season!

To be fair, that was hearsay likely generated by fans who couldn't understand it back then... He may very well have just seen Hoover coming up and wanted to coach him, I dunno... I just find it odd that one would have success at North for two years and then go to Ledford... Oh well, I just hope that we have a good season, I haven't seen the team in any scrimmages yet because I've been busy. Does anyone have any opinions based on seeing the team as of now?

I was a Senior and played for Coach Cline at ND the last year before he moved to Ledford....

I can tell you (based on a first hand conversation 20+ years ago) that it was not about class/competition, nor the administration at ND, or even Brad Hoover coming up at Ledford; it was more about how ridiculous the ND fans were between the Thomasville loss and the West Rowan loss in the playoffs later that same season. His family (wife, son in the stands) was subjected to some pretty abusive language based on how "coach lost the game". Not sure that any father should have to explain to their young son why a fan would say "someone should just kill that dumb S.O.B." in relation to their dad. I'm confident there was more than just that, but that's just what was shared with me in private all those years ago. Honestly, I can't blame him if in fact that's true and would admit he probably handled the issue with more dignity than I would have as a parent/man.

Coach Cline was a great coach, good man as well; honored to have played for him those 2 years he was at ND.

Thank You Kicked Off!, I have heard people over the years bad-mouth Coach! I have and will defend Him anytime I hear it. And as you said, A Great Man and Coach. I learned more about Football in a 1-1 1/2 year period than I had my previous years playing under other coaches

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT