ADVERTISEMENT

New schools in Char/Meck

I have heard that a new high school will be built on land right at the Palisades community. When the development was approved there was land set aside for schools. The only issue with this in my opinion is the current elemenatry school there is eight miles from Olympic, 13 miles from South Meck, and 18 miles from West Meck and 18 miles to Ardrey Kell in the opposite direction. It is not very centrally located with the river / lake (Wylie) being to the south west and the state line to the south east. My guess is residences from somewhere between Steele Creek, Shopton Road, and Westinghouse Blvd will zone to Palisades. It would appear that Ardrey Kell, South Meck, Myers Park, and Olympic will be shifting district lines to bring the enrollments more on line at each of the schools.

CMS has built schools in different ends of the county simultaneously a few times. Not sure if that will happen with this school. It would seem a redrawing of districts in the northern end would alleviate some of the enrollment as Hopewell has from 500 to 1,000 less students than bordering schools. West Charlotte and Harding both have lower enrollments but at one time it was intentionally done with WC due to academic criteria and court oversight.

Growth areas include Steele Creek area, Meck/Cabarrus line', South Huntersville and heading West toward the airport area. 485 opening on the north side 2-3 years ago has really changed the ballgame in the north.

AK- South Meck-Olympic area an immediate need and politics always lean to the South part of Meck County but you will be on trouble north of Harris Blvd very soon.

I don’t know much about the various neighborhoods in the Mecklenburg County area... but can anyone give me the history of E.E. Waddell High School and why it didn’t remain a high school? It couldn’t have been open for much more than 5 years.

Waddell is a head scratcher. The school opened for the 2001 school years (along with Hopewell) and closed after the completion of the 2011 school year. School was opened with the intent to help with overcrowding of South Meck, Olympic, and Myers Park. There seemed to be issues with students and personnel from the start. Many families seemed to use every option available not to send their children to Waddell. Test scores, discipline, teacher retention were often cited as concerns. In addition to Hopewell, CMS had opened three new district schools (Ardrey Kell 2006, Hough and Rocky River 2010) plus magnet Phillip O. Berry (2002) since the opening of Waddell and was not facing the over crowding it had or does today.

The Smith Language Academy was a crown jewel for CMS but was in need of a new facility. Talk was to close Harding and utilize the campus but with multiple buildings it was not as conducive to K-8 students. Also, there was a lot of support from the Harding alumni and the history aspect of the school. Waddell was a school that many did not think was "wanted" and moving SLA to Waddell and using the Waddell name alleviated several issues for CMS. One other argument also was Waddell was more geographically and logistically sensible for the county wide magnet.

Waddell will be re-opening as a high school in Charlotte very soon with the latest bond package approval. Scheduled for 2022. This will be a magnet with a small home zone possibly.

The Palisades school mentioned previously is also scheduled to open in 2022.

One not mentioned is a new Southern Mecklenburg County school to relieve populations at South Meck and Ardrey Kell. Rumors say this will be in the Pineville area, which would make some sense. This is scheduled for 2023.

The Palisades school mentioned previously is also scheduled to open in 2022.

One not mentioned is a new Southern Mecklenburg County school to relieve populations at South Meck and Ardrey Kell. Rumors say this will be in the Pineville area, which would make some sense. This is scheduled for 2023.

Is the Southern Meck school definitive for 2023-24 school year?

Is the Southern Meck school definitive for 2023-24 school year?

Pretty sure that it is, I have heard about CMS discussing acquiring land in the Pineville area, however you never know with them and bonds, its crazy how many things they change after voters approve a specific bond package. Almost like bait and switch sometimes.

Reactions: btango
InfoMan25 what happens to West Charlotte students when they rebuild West Charlotte in a few years?

InfoMan25 what happens to West Charlotte students when they rebuild West Charlotte in a few years?

That's a good question, I haven't heard any discussion about anything specifically but I'm sure they will be given some options and transportation provided to those options, but the sports teams should be fine I'm sure, just have to work out where they practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT