ADVERTISEMENT

NEW Breaking News from Stanly County

new_dawg

Dec 20, 2003
Albemarle NC
On WZKY (Albemarle Radio Station) local news this morning, Mayor Ronnie Michael made a statement on behalf of the Albemarle City Council, requesting that the BOE and the Board of County Commissioners jointly request a bond referendum to be placed on the March primary ballot that would, in essence, scrap plan B and instead fund the building of two new "state of the art" high schools in Stanly County. In this plan, the existing high schools would become middle schools. Though not stated, I would conclude that the middle schools would be used as consolidated elementary schools in places where elementary closures had been proposed.

Have heard no feedback on this from the public yet. My first impression is that it's the best-sounding idea I have heard so far. However, look for the western Stanly contingent to fight it because it will affect them.

Seems like btango should ask for some credit on this plan, because he has mentioned this as an idea several times before!

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
new_dawg if only Albemarle, Stanly County, the NCHSAA, the State of NC, and the US Goverment would listen to me we would be in business buddy. World peace, unity, and prosperity.

That takes care of East Albemarle and Norwood Elementary Schools. I would think EAMS goes to AMS. Norwood and Aquadale combine at SSMS. Not sure how they would handle West Stanly. I think the best option would be to leave Oakboro open for now and to look at WSMS as a long term plan for overcrowding that is already at Locust with more to come.

Need to situate the schools with a twenty year plan that western Stanly will need its own high school in the future even with the two high schools in place. Currenlty we would have two 1,200 student high schools. I do think that eventually you will have basically a Locust/Stanfield HS especially to the north of Locust and going toward Ridgecrest.

new_dawg if only Albemarle, Stanly County, the NCHSAA, the State of NC, and the US Goverment would listen to me we would be in business buddy. World peace, unity, and prosperity.

That takes care of East Albemarle and Norwood Elementary Schools. I would think EAMS goes to AMS. Norwood and Aquadale combine at SSMS. Not sure how they would handle West Stanly. I think the best option would be to leave Oakboro open for now and to look at WSMS as a long term plan for overcrowding that is already at Locust with more to come.

Need to situate the schools with a twenty year plan that western Stanly will need its own high school in the future even with the two high schools in place. Currenlty we would have two 1,200 student high schools. I do think that eventually you will have basically a Locust/Stanfield HS especially to the north of Locust and going toward Ridgecrest.

Aquadale Elementary was recently (approx. 3 years ago) renovated, so I don't think you would see students moved away from there, but moving Norwood Elementary to the existing SSMS makes perfect sense to me.

Hard to justify two schools less than four miles down the street from one another serving the same grades when SSMS can handle the capacity.

I've been harping for 2 HS's for years. I think this is the perfect solution. Biggest problem will be selling it to the voters but with the mess we are in it just might pass.

However, look for the western Stanly contingent to fight it because it will affect them.

That area will vote against it and they will be against redistricting. I look forward to see when these two come up for debate whate board member Barbee will say about it.

Hard to justify two schools less than four miles down the street from one another serving the same grades when SSMS can handle the capacity.

Have not looked at capacities, but I question if SSMS can handle K-5 from both schools. Right now it's set up for 3 grades instead of six. If it can hold 'em, no problem from my view.

Good catch @new_dawg. I didn't thing anyone listened too WZKY (Albemarle Radio Station) local news.

@btango you asked me before would I be for two HS, and I told you yes. The people of Albemarle feels that they are being singled out. Think about the tradition that Albemarle has built over they last 25-30 years. But that doesn't take away from the real problem of available funds and a decline in education standards in Stanly County. I would love to hear about more STEM students coming out of the system here in Stanly County verses traditional blue collar careers.

I hope this is feasible.

Last edited:
Reactions: new_dawg
I would fully support two high schools within Stanly County. However I do not know if this plan will ever come into fruition.

Western Stanly County will not support this bond referendum unless they receive something in return. In their eyes, everything is fine with their section of the county. The only leverage that the supporters of the bond referendum has is with Oakboro Elementary. As long as the powers to be sell the fact that Oakboro is not on the chopping block, one major hurdle will be resolved. Unless this is part of the plan, the bond referendum will most likely be defeated.

Second, you will need to move East Albemarle to the Albemarle Middle School campus, and then move Albemarle Middle School to Albemarle's campus. That's not a tough sell for me.

Third, you will need to move South Stanly Middle to the South Stanly High School campus. Then you have a dilemma on what to do with Norwood and Aquadale. Logically these two schools could be merged together and moved to the South Stanly Middle School campus as an elementary school.
Fourth, you move West Stanly Middle School to the West Stanly High School campus. The current Middle School could be used as an elementary school in the near future or immediately. This area is expanding, one of the few places that has noticeable growth within the county. This could also be used a leverage for passing the bond referendum by shoring up support in the Western area of the county.

Fifth, move North Stanly Middle to the North Stanly High School Campus, and then move Millingport Elementary over to the North Stanly Middle School campus.

Lastly, you would then have to find two premium locations to place the two high schools. There are four major routes in the county, being Hwy 24-27, Hwy 52, Hwy 49, and Hwy 73. I might consider creating one high school off of Hwy 24-27 near the Endy Elementary campus. This would be a good location for all the students currently districted to South Stanly and West Stanly. A good location might be around Chuck Morehead Park.

While redistricting is desperately needed, I wouldn't tackle that while a bond referendum is on the ballot. Redistricting will kill the bond referendum, much like a lack of redistricting has crippled Albemarle High School.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
If they go to two high schools I do not think it will be an even split of South and West together and North and AHS together. I think you will see a slight bit of overlap which is fine.

I think the key to getting this to pass would be to leave all the western Stanly elementaries open. WSMS will be needed in the future for overflow from Locust. I think they should look at doing K-2 and 3-5 splits with Oakboro and Endy coming together and Stanfield and Locust joining. This is what many towns have done including Thomasville. Not sure it would work well logistically but it may be beneficial from an educational standpoint. BOE and system would need to review it. I am sure western Stanly would be against it regardless but that is easier to sell as the school is not closing and enrollment is not lost.

If they could consolidate Norwood and Aquadale I think Aquadale may be a facility they could use in the future for some type of programs. With the consolidation there will not really be a need for magnet programs.

WSMS first opened as Running Creek Elementary, and before Ridgecrest opened there were at one time 6 feeder schools going to West Stanly. Now, there are 4 elementary feeder schools. If feasible, I'd consider creating 3 K-2 schools and 2 3-5 schools. Maybe have Endy and Stanfield as K-2 and Running Creek, Oakboro, and Locust as 3-5. The only downside is that you would have more fixed costs by keeping all of these buildings/campuses open.

If this works for this area, it might also work for Norwood/Aquadale.

Reactions: new_dawg
The goal is to close some buildings. The main reason for closing Norwood is the structure is in need of a physical overhaul.

This is only in the talking stages right now, and unless the commissioners and the BOE will work together to get this on the ballot, that's where it will stay. Quite frankly, I expect the BOE to be more in support of this than I do the county commission, even though a referendum is possibly the most accurate way to determine what the majority wants.

You can bet the two Burr-minions on the board (Burleson and McIntyre) will be against even allowing it to be placed on the ballot. I would expect Asciutto to be in favor of a referendum. Efird and Lawhon are both from the west side, so their friends and neighbors will probably lobby them against. That leaves Lowder and Dennis, both of whom are from the south end. Probably a toss up there.

On the other hand, the entire commission (all 7 members) are republican. As a whole, the GOP doesn't usually support bonds or long term financing. Asciutto usually votes his conscience, so I think he's the only guaranteed vote, unless Mayor Michael and the City Council can do a really good sales job on both the BOE and CC.

Those of us who are in favor of this proposal need to be calling, texting, e-mailing, writing letters or whatever it takes to tell the BOE and CC how we feel and ask them to represent US, and not a political party.

It's funny that you say the County Commissioners have politicized the process. What do you think this statement from the Mayor and City Council is?? The Albemarle City Council is the only one between Albemarle, Norwood and Oakboro that did not send a referendum to oppose the two plans. I know a couple individuals on the city council were against the plans, but the majority were for. Now that they see, this could be a political mistake on their part, they are saying, hey lets put a referendum on the ballot, so either way if it fails or passes, they can say, "hey we tried to do our part". I am in the construction industry and bid on school work all the time. New "state of the art" high schools cost $35-$50 million. The new school that is going in Davidson County right now, has a budget of $45 million. Do you really think, a county that voted down a 1/4 cent sales tax for education and 911, is going to pass a bond referendum for $90 million to build 2 new schools, especially when you are not building them due to increase population growth, but to consolidate?? The last referendum in Stanly County was passed to build new elementary schools, (Running Creek and Kendall Valley), then they converted them to middle schools. People do not forget when you lie to them about their money.

Also if the BOE wants to the fix the problem, how come only 1 of the 5, that were up for re-election chose to seek re-election? If you are so sure, that what you are doing is right, you stay and see the process through and take the good and the bad that comes with that change. And do not say, they were not getting support and getting bashed by the public, etc, etc. They knew going in, that bringing this up, would cause a major uproar, so it did not catch them off guard. Sounds like what a lot of politicians do, at the end of their terms. They pass unwanted, unneeded items, just as a parting shot. See the mess in Norwood with the out going commissioners passing the new Fire Dept on the way out.

Reactions: atucker2
outlaw, you are comparing the Albemarle city council requesting a plan be put to a vote to the way the county commissioners have dealt with this? To me the option the Albemarle city council offers seems to be the most sensible one, for about 20 plus years. The county built themselves into a corner with the continued building of elementary schools.

No, I do not think the voters will vote for the two high schools to be built but I do think that two schools with about 1200 students would allow for more employment skills classes and advanced curriculum classes. I also do not think the people of western Stanly will go for redistricting any of their students to AMS and AHS but they will want an addition built on West Stanly in a few years when their enrollment is over 1,000 while AHS and SSHS are both well below 500 with WSHS and WSMS students living much closer to the Albemarle schools than the West Stanly schools the students are districted to.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Davidson County is an example of separate school systems that appear to hamper the county. Thomasville and Lexington have their own schools systems with high schools that have space available. Thomasville is much like Albemarle. One high school that has seen enrollment and academics dwindle with a middle school and two elementary schools.

North Davidson and Ledford have space issues but it would seem that the six miles to Thomasville High School from Ledford HS and 7-8 miles between North Davidson and Lexington would allow for redistricting and not building a new school.

If the majority of the Albemarle City Council were for Plan B why would they have requested a referendum? Appears they have different views now, the two new high schools, so they are requesting a referendum.

As far as not running again, I would think that some feel there is no way they will get Plan B off the ground. As I have written before, the Plan A and B literally came up within a very short time of the BOE taking office. It would appear that the Stanly County Schools admin was the one with this in mind.

I am comparing the way the County Commissioners handled it to the way the City Council handled it, in politics only. Earnhardt said the County Commissioners politicized it and I do not disagree with that at all but I was saying the City Council has now done the same with the majority of them being in favor of the Plans (particularly Plan A actually) but now that they see this probably hurt them politically or could hurt them they are asking for a referendum. They are asking for one, so pass or fail, they can come out looking good - If a majority votes it down, they say hey we were in favor of the plan to start with, if it passes, they say hey, we helped to get 2 new schools built.

As for the western part of the county dedicating what happens, in looking at the address' of all the candidates that filed this time, only see 1 address that is from the western end of the county, so maybe the next board, will not be as focused on the western ends voices as some previous boards have been.

As for a short time for Plan A and B coming up, that is not true - The 5 that are coming off this next year, would have been on the board for 2 years already when this came up. Only 2 came on last year, and 1 of them, actually was on the board, filling out the term of a board member that had to step down, so actually 6 of the 7 have been on board decent amount of time before the Plans came up. The board is who asked the Superintendent to look into creating the plans, not the other way around. So again if they are the ones that want these plans, and have fought tooth and nail against any group or person that has tried to talk to them, that these are the best and only plans, then why not stick it out and see how it works out.

As for saying 2 schools brings more classes and offerings, that maybe true, but does not mean its a better education. If so, why are Anson and Richmond County schools (1 school counties) not the diamond jewel of education?? Some of the best schools are in the middle of Union County and Wake County with multiple other high schools around them, and they have kids begging to come there. In business, sports and life I think one of the best way to get better is to create competition, to make the others step up there game. I have thought all along, let the 4 high schools each offer the basic high school classes that you have to have, but then make them all different, as far as a trade school at one, a performing arts school at one, an agriculture school, etc, and let the kids themselves decide which school they want to go to. Then you have schools competing to get kids to come to them, thus forcing the schools to step up and to stand out. If schools know that a kid in their district has to come there until he/she is 16, what forces them to do things any better then the bare minimum?

City Council has now done the same with the majority of them being in favor of the Plans (particularly Plan A actually) but now that they see this probably hurt them politically or could hurt them they are asking for a referendum.

Albemarle City Council has never openly endorsed or condemned any of the plans. They have actually been criticized for not being more vocal before now.

The board is who asked the Superintendent to look into creating the plans, not the other way around. So again if they are the ones that want these plans, and have fought tooth and nail against any group or person that has tried to talk to them, that these are the best and only plans, then why not stick it out and see how it works out.

I have not seen the BOE "fight tooth and nail" against anyone. No one has been denied the opportunity to speak their mind. What they have done is stand their ground. There is a difference.

Some of the best schools are in the middle of Union County and Wake County with multiple other high schools around them, and they have kids begging to come there.

Apples and oranges. The public schools in Union and Wake counties have CONSIDERABLY higher enrollments than Stanly County Schools, so all schools there have the numbers and funding to offer advanced classes

I have thought all along, let the 4 high schools each offer the basic high school classes that you have to have, but then make them all different, as far as a trade school at one, a performing arts school at one, an agriculture school, etc, and let the kids themselves decide which school they want to go to.

This smacks of "open enrollment" which could lead to situations like in Forsyth County with Winston-Salem Prep. Stanly County has enough problems without creating a situation where parents and kids can, without any controls or restrictions, choose to have top athletes in one or more sports transfer in to create a 'super team'. I know your example cites academic offerings, and while that's a noble goal (and the goal that Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools had in mind with WSP), you can bet your sweet bippy that one school will turn into an athletics factory if this kind of policy is adopted.

As for the western part of the county dedicating what happens, in looking at the address' of all the candidates that filed this time, only see 1 address that is from the western end of the county, so maybe the next board, will not be as focused on the western ends voices as some previous boards have been.

District 3 has two running for the spot and each live in the Endy (West Stanly) district.

Two of the three running for at large live in the West Stanly district, one in Oakboro and the other in Endy school district.

One for the South district is running unopposed.

As for saying 2 schools brings more classes and offerings, that maybe true, but does not mean its a better education. If so, why are Anson and Richmond County schools (1 school counties) not the diamond jewel of education?? Some of the best schools are in the middle of Union County and Wake County with multiple other high schools around them, and they have kids begging to come there. In business, sports and life I think one of the best way to get better is to create competition, to make the others step up there game. I have thought all along, let the 4 high schools each offer the basic high school classes that you have to have, but then make them all different, as far as a trade school at one, a performing arts school at one, an agriculture school, etc, and let the kids themselves decide which school they want to go to. Then you have schools competing to get kids to come to them, thus forcing the schools to step up and to stand out. If schools know that a kid in their district has to come there until he/she is 16, what forces them to do things any better then the bare minimum?

Look a little closer at Anson and Richmond. I have been in both Anson and Richmond during school hours and have been to every school in Union County. Lets look at some differences between Weddington and Cuthbertson as compared to Richmond and Anson. Household income is really the only one that needs to be looked at. Wake County? Enloe is loaded with advanced academic magnets. How is SE Raleigh doing? It is tough to compare a county with the enrollments of Meck and Wake to Stanly County. Is Providence and Ardrey Kell strong academic schools in Meck County? How about West Charlotte and the current Harding? Worlds apart.

Richmond County is actually a very diverse school that sends students to a variety of colleges but as friends that coach there have told me they have their issues as well. The school, due to its enrollment (2,200 9-12) and diversity of educational level, has a lot of academic offerings.

Last edited:
This smacks of "open enrollment" which could lead to situations like in Forsyth County with Winston-Salem Prep. Stanly County has enough problems without creating a situation where parents and kids can, without any controls or restrictions, choose to have top athletes in one or more sports transfer in to create a 'super team'. I know your example cites academic offerings, and while that's a noble goal (and the goal that Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools had in mind with WSP), you can bet your sweet bippy that one school will turn into an athletics factory if this kind of policy is adopted.

Forsyth County has turned into a recruiting war for talent. WS Prep is a 1A school but its name is a little misleading as it is not preparing a lot of students for college with advanced courses. With less than 400 students it is hard to offer the full curriculum unless the students were all along the same educational levels.

Stanly County's high school enrollment divided by 4 works out to 615 students per school. Divided by 3 it is 822. The county is logistically better off as a three high school county at most based on enrollment numbers.

Last edited:
New Dawg - Not here to debate with you, but you obviously were not at the City Council meeting when these plans first came out - They discussed it and yes the majority were in favor of the plans - Go back and read minutes of the meetings if you don't believe me. (Also read the SNAP from Feb 10th for reference)

Also obviously you have not been to the Oakboro town meeting, Norwood town meeting, County Commissioners funding meeting that the BOE walked out on, ACES, People of Albemarle meetings either or you would have seen they have fought tooth and nail that these plans are the best -

If we are worried only about education, as the BOE has indicated they are only worried about (not sports), why would it concern you if they team up and make an athletic factory?? That should not be the concern if we are talking only about educating our kids?? If they are getting a great education, should that be a concern?

As for the address of the people running - I can only go by the address listed - They are 1 from Norwood, 1 from Oakboro, 1 from Gold Hill and the rest all Albemarle address' - Guess you know the address; better than I do on what actual district that compromises - I just seen lots of Albemarle..

As for the address of the people running - I can only go by the address listed - They are 1 from Norwood, 1 from Oakboro, 1 from Gold Hill and the rest all Albemarle address' - Guess you know the address; better than I do on what actual district that compromises - I just seen lots of Albemarle..

I know a couple of them and in general where they live. A lot of Endy has a 28001 zip code. The three from Endy district all live near the school not far from Highway 24/27.

Some additional info on school consolidations across the state.

Washington County (348 square miles not including water) is looking at combining Creswell and Plymouth to become a one high school county. Currently the schools have 103 and 328 students.

About six or so years ago Martin County consolidated from four to two schools and now there is talk of going from two to one with 860 students. County is 461 square miles.
Bear Creek and Roanoke became South Creek HS with Roanoke's campus being the new school. Enrollment is 300.
Williamston and Jamesville consolidated with Williamston's campus becoming Riverside HS. Enrollment is 560.

Montgomery County 492 square miles (land). East 672 and West 601 would be 1,273 enrollment. If Stanly County (395 square miles) went to two schools they would be about the same size as Montgomery County.

Btango, since the same comment (about other counties consolidating) was made on the consolidate stanly county schools facebook page, I assume you are the one that made the comment or you read and re-quoted it so I assume I know what side of the debate you are on. And I am not saying which side is right, because without debate we would be a communist country.

I would like to know your opinion on if you truly think high school and AP classes is where we should all be so focused. I know we all heard the statement, or read the book, that all I really needed to know, I learned in kindergarten. While maybe not all in kindergarten, but I think more learning has to happen 1.at home and 2. in elementary school. It is often been said, that if you are not a great reader by the time you get to high school, then more than likely you never will be as an adult. You are getting kids at the high school level that cannot read and write at a 3rd grade level, but yet, they are forced to take 4 years of high school English, going over Shakespeare and Harper Lee and Zora Neale Hurston. Is knowing 4 books by Shakespeare more important then knowing how to fill out a job application or do a college, or loan application properly?

Btango, I don't see this passing either. The County Commissioners will oppose thos idea and will convince others to vote against their own interest.

outlaw, I will answer your questions and give my ideas which are all over the board. I agree with you on a lot of what you are writing.

The info regarding other county consolidation prospects was on another prep sports site.

I asked the people that pushed to get Greystone opened what was the main emphasis. Their children and nieces felt they were not properly prepared for college at elite universities. I know others from Stanly County that have excelled at top notch colleges and some felt they were 100% ready to take on UNC and Wake while others were a little overwhelmed. Think it has a lot to do with the student regardless of the school. I think college acceptance and keeping up once there are much harder and more complicated now than twenty years ago. People laughed at the idea of opening Greystone but the success is impressive.

I think the most important thing, not just in Albemarle, but in American education is the lack of children being nutured at an early age and prepared for the basics. Children enter public school with learning and social disorders that are a hinderance to the education of not only themselves but others as well. Secondly, discpline is a societal issue that has grown out of control and that also is not being enforced at home from an early age. This is all part of the issues facing Albemarle.

The two classes from high school that I probably use the most are English and Typing. Prior to high school it would be basic math but the computer does most of that for everyone now. I had reading and speech issues as a little kid. I grew up in an enviroment that was not conducive to learning. Recognizing the problem (by teachers) and being placed in special classes at an early age probably saved me. All of my adult life I have lived to read, whether it be newspapers or magazines and books of all types.

I think when a student athlete enters high school that has the ability to go to college through athletics the coaches usually have an idea. These students need to be put on a path to qualify. Two students the last few years were big time recruits that were forced to go to junior college. This is also where the community comes in to play as tutors could be utilized to assist as teachers are limited on time. This goes for all students but seeing a student offered a full scholarship to Wake Forest and not qualifying is disheartening.

I will give my ideas on the schools a bit later.

Last edited:
outlaw, I do not want any of the schools to close. I get the community school concept and I appreciate it. It is very important to some of the people closest to me. The BOE must provide the best possible education for all students, meet federal and state regulation, all within a budget that seems to be way too low (comparing NC's money per student to other students). I do not think it is the BOE's task to determine if a school should stay open based on the economy or community around the school. That is for the county commissioners, economic development, and chamber of commerce. With that said, I think options are limited on keeping all schools open long term. Eventually, unless Stanly has an economic boom with an increase in school age residents, there will come a point that there is no option but to close some schools.

First, I do not think Oakboro should be closed unless a new high school is built that would allow for West Middle School to move to the current high school. At that time I could see the overflow of Locust to the current WSMS with Oakboro students being sent to the "new" Running Creek ES and possibly some to Endy. Growth will happen in far end of the West Stanly district that will push Locust Elementary further over their capacity. Closing Oakboro under the current Plan(s) seems to be a logistical mistake and more importantly to the board a big political one.

I do not think Stanly County has the current enrollment to support four high schools. I have wrote numerous times that the biggest issue for Albemarle HS is twofold, East Elementary and South Stanly. East Albemarle needs a new school building. Closing AHS allows East to move to the current AMS and AMS to the current high school. Redistricting students from West to AHS can save AHS. South's district lines with North and West do not have the population density to increase the enrollment substanially without requiring students to travel farther to South than they would West and North. Travel distance to WSHS and WSMS as compared to AHS and AMS is one of my biggest complaints and basis to redistrict students in the eastern section of the West district to Albemarle. I cannot fight for AHS/AMS on that basis and then redistrict students to South with a longer commute. The only way to have four high schools is for the South district to increase the population resulting in an increase in enrollment. For that to happen will require more job opportunities in that area so it becomes the "chicken or the egg" scenario.

Closing AHS allows the students to be distributed out to North and South which is more simple than moving all of North's students to AHS and sending an area of AHS students to South. It allows East to have a new school. If AHS stays open what do they do with East students? Aquadale is ten miles from East and that is too far to send elementary school students and Badin ES is still an issue in the future.

I do think AHS is the best option for expansion of a high school. AHS could add a gym and another two wings out the front on Park Ridge if needed and additional parking in the section beyond the original parking lot on the Second Street side. I would only support that if the school is completely rebranded as it would be the fair way to assimilate the South and North students.

Norwood Elementary is an issue in the South Stanly district. It is their East ES. If South stays open what do you do with the Norwood facility and students. Aquadale is not equipped to handle all of them and East / AMS are not only farther than Aquadale (from East) but I would think a less friendly drive.

If closing schools and consolidation is a true money saver that will allow for better educational opportunities I think they will need to look at building one (and increasing size of West) or two new high schools or expanding AHS and bringing South and North in with some of their students being redistricted to West which will soon need an additional wing. New high schools would appear to solve the elementary school structural issues.

Two new high schools allow Richfield and Millingport to move to the current NSMS and Badin to go to AMS and possibly some closer to North off Highway 742 to NSMS. Aquadale and Norwood to the current SSMS. Two new high schools allow for seven elementary schools to consolidate into four middle school facilities with four remaining open. Locust (some redistirct to current WSMS), Stanfield, Endy, and Central remain in their current buildings. All of that is a huge logistical undertaking that will take a lot planning, manpower and cost to initially make it happen. Even if the constituents wanted it I think it would be a beast to conquer with a lot of growing pains and I am not sure how easy it would be to raise the needed funds.

outlaw, I think with two high schools it would be much more logistically possible to offer remedial classes, career related classes, advanced college prep curriculum, and the arts. It would be more streamline with two new high schools as I think it is an easier process to build from scratch than to update/upgrade and exisiting structure.

There needs to be serious dialogue and a joint undertaking between economic development professionals and the schools. Curriculum needs to be put in place so when a company looks at relocating they see that there is a potential work force that is being trained in basic skills that they can use with a company. Also, a company relocating employees, especially management, is going to look at the educational system for their children which is is often going to be college prep oriented.

I understand the concept that you must take care of the average student as that is the majority of the enrollment but you cannot overlook the student that is struggling or the one that needs a more significant challenge. In America I believe we have sold out in letting students get by and in being very basic instead of preparing them for the work force. My hope is that Stanly County opens its mind and views of the future to do something that is dynamic and trend setting. I believe training students for a career may be the most important but also preparing some for the most elite college, and others to be able to do the basic daily requirements to have a decent life are just as important. Every child is important.

I appreciate your opinion and agree with most - I think what a lot of people fail to take into consideration is really this county has 6 high schools, not 4. Stanly Early College, and Graystone. Obviously Graystone is not part of the Stanly BOE but the Early College is - I believe SEC has 145 kids, that could easily be on maybe the Albemarle High School campus - If the parents do not have a problem with their kid driving to Stanly Comm, do not see any reason why they would have a problem with them driving to Albemarle for 2 classes and the college for 2 classes. I maybe wrong on my numbers, but I believe another 150 or so go to Graystone from Stanly County. I still believe a lot of people give way to much credit to charter schools. The top graduates from West, North, South and Albemarle are going to the same universities that the top kids from Graystone are going to. Though I only know 1 university administrator and can only go off what she personally says, they do not look at the High School and say wow, this kid graduated from Graystone, so we hold him/her in higher regard then this kid that graduated from North or West or South. Also less and less colleges are accepting high school credits to count towards college credits.

Second, I think the economic and job development thing is being way over used in the school debate. Most business when looking for a new place to move a company to, are not first looking at the educational system. They look at what tax breaks and funding they can get from the local government, and transportation. Stanly County could have a wonderful educational system, but they still do not have an interstate (unless you are at the Western end of county) within 35-50 mins away to be able to ship their products or get goods in, needed to produce their product. Look when most companies publicly put it out there that they plan to move, it will be random cities throughout the country that are "bidding" to get them to come and its almost always though tax incentives, water/sewer availability, and infrastructure availability, not hey come here, we promise you we will educate your children the best.

The last thing I will say about economical development and education and how it relates. Forbes did a study maybe 6-8 years ago and the numbers I am about to quote are not exact, but they are close. They surveyed the CEO of a lot of the fortune 500 companies at the time, and it was like 93% of them played a high school sport and only like 47% of them were in the national honor society, so lets just say college prep classes in high school is not always the answer to future success.

But I will say, if we are going to keep the Early College and Graystone is going to continue in its existence in the same location, then the other 4 high schools are probably too many, but the demographer seemed to indicate that 3 were needed. But I think, if we are going to move the Albemarle kids only, then they need to rebrand North and South, and help the Albemarle kids feel more welcome in their respective new school and not the outsiders.

Agree with the assessment.

A business that relocates may not be one that requires an interstate but there is no doubt that the location of Stanly County as compared to Rowan and Davidson is an issue due to those counties have an interstate running through them. When that company moves to the county or a doctor sets up practice in the county you want their employees living in the county and if they have school aged children the educational system comes into play.

I think your chances to get in at UNC are better as a top student at an academically inferior school than being further down the roster at Greystone if all other things are close to very equal.

A lot CEO's have MBA's from very prestigous colleges while others have a more basic degree with a lot of success in the industry. There are a lot more spots for high school sports than the NHS. The elite CEOs that came from Albemarle (Crutchfield at First Union and Grigg at Duke Power) were top shelf students. A lot of students are not going to take the most advanced college prep just as few will not be able to read when they get to high school.

I enjoy the conversation. If you hear anything please post.

Outlaw makes some very very good points. I pretty much agree across the board with what was stated.

One thing I have not heard any discussion on is we are hearing in NC mostly about consolidation, however I have ready numerous research studies on how after consolidation you see negative impacts economically as well and more importantly academically. That should be an area for concern.

The two state of the art HS is a great idea in theory but like outlaw stated that's a huge investment, if we are willing to invest $90 million in new buildings why don't we invest half that and pay our teachers well so we don't continue to lose great teacher, maybe provide what our teachers need in the classrooms, and maybe bring in a strong phonics reading program for our k-2 grades so they can be setup for success?

GS is a good school but how diverse are they? Gs will tell you they are not for everybody and are not for everybody.

My personal opinion is I like small community schools. I believe like any small entity you have different challenges. Before any changes are made or plans put in voted on etc you must redistrict properly if you go to 3 high schools the. You must do a proper analysis and decide which is the better asset long term. You cannot run on a year to year plan and be successful.

As a high school AHS is your biggest asset. Plenty of land and more available if needed. You can expand AHS as big as you need to with ample space plus it is in the middle of your biggest population in the county. WS is the largest population but remember between west and north they hold about 2/3 of the county in regards to district size so naturally they would.

Anyway, outlaw did have some very valid points and I agree. If you think though that consolidation will increase our academics performance your crazy. That's like saying if you build the 76ers a new stadium they will start winning. When everyone knows until you change the culture and operations that nothing will improve.

I take these studies with a grain of salt. I always consider who is paying for these studies.

We saw numerous consolidations during integration and these integrations/consolidations have been a long-term positive both academically and economically. Back in the 70's, the White Citizens Council used these same studies to support segregation. Most studies contain certain bias that should be highlighted and not ignored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT