ADVERTISEMENT

NEW BERN NEW COACH

JDNEWS reports Phil Padgett turns down New Bern Football job.

Distance was the driving factor there. He didn't want to go 45 minutes each way every day. I think timing had a little to do with it as well seeing how it's June 1st which doesn't leave a whole hell of a lot of time to build a staff.

Just promote one of the assistants and get your man next year.

Distance was the driving factor there. He didn't want to go 45 minutes each way every day. I think timing had a little to do with it as well seeing how it's June 1st which doesn't leave a whole hell of a lot of time to build a staff.

Just promote one of the assistants and get your man next year.
I thought they would promote from inside, but maybe your right . I would talk Coach Curling to do it one more year get new guy any thoughts on this?

I have heard that the number of coaches offered the job is seven still with no coach. Any one have further info?

Is it time to do a one year interim from within the staff?

I have heard that the number of coaches offered the job is seven still with no coach. Any one have further info?

I'm not sure the number but thought this was the perfect hire. They gave him everything he asked for, just have a hard time believing some things he told the paper but that's all irrelevant now.

I've been saying for awhile now just promote someone within for a year and then go out and get your guy. I told a few people yesterday maybe they should hire one of the quality assistants over at Havelock.

Coach Curlings retired April 17. I am in no way knocking him because this can be a very difficult decision, however NB is now dealing with a running clock as Summer workouts begin in just a few weeks. Many coaches have made moves over the past 6 months and many others may not want to step in this late in the game. NB would be a great job but all these variables have to be factored in.

I've been told as high as 11. A couple of those were called to come and interview or sit down and they didn't even apply - the school called them.

I've been told as high as 11. A couple of those were called to come and interview or sit down and they didn't even apply - the school called them.

Coaches know all about Craven County pay. Coach King at Havelock took about a 10K-15K a year pay cut to come back to Craven County and coach.

I understand pay is very important however, I find it hard that they can't find someone. There are plenty of bright, smart, and young coaches who are OC's and DC's that are chomping at the bit to become a head coach and really wouldn't care about how much they are making. How many of us took a job knowing its what we wanted to do and weren't making all that much but knew that opportunity to make more was in the future we just needed a break. All I've heard is that they have attempted to go after proven head coaches at other schools. Of course if you go after those types of coaches then pay and incentives are going to have to be more to sweeten the pot to get them to leave their current situation. My coach in high school thought about leaving because he wasn't getting what he thought he should get. He went out interviewed and was offered a job at our rival high school. The next day he was made Athletic Director. That is for a proven coach. However, when you know you're fighting a battle with money, sometimes you have to think outside the box. Look for some of the best OC's and DC's in the state that have never been a head coach. You will be hard pressed to tell me that only a handful of people applied for this job. I see on other message boards about all the "young up and coming coaches." Maybe that is where the search team should start looking instead of it having to be a previous head coach. To my knowledge, Coach Curlings had never been a head coach prior to being named the head coach at NB; he was just an assistant. Guys are out there that are willing to take less money to be a head coach; and the school doesn't need to sweeten the pot for them.

Reactions: sikner51
Some guys might not be interested in following in the footsteps of someone who cast such a large shadow and leaves pretty big shoes to fill.

Somebody said it best "getting late in the evening." Name someone interim and hope they can get the team heading in the right direction. If he does well you have your guy if not start on Nov. 5th. Pay must be awful and the cupboard must not be overflowing with talent as in years past. Hope you get your guy. I like it when NB is good it makes the boards that much better.

Reactions: ncjeff
Somebody said it best "getting late in the evening." Name someone interim and hope they can get the team heading in the right direction. If he does well you have your guy if not start on Nov. 5th. Pay must be awful and the cupboard must not be overflowing with talent as in years past. Hope you get your guy. I like it when NB is good it makes the boards that much better.

Cupboard is looking pretty good but is that enough for a guy to take a massive pay cut? Add to the fact that the coaching search began almost half a year after the season ended on top of the high cost of living in New Bern doesn’t bode well. Cupboard wasn’t bare at Havelock when Jim Bob left because of the school system.

Cupboard is looking pretty good but is that enough for a guy to take a massive pay cut? Add to the fact that the coaching search began almost half a year after the season ended on top of the high cost of living in New Bern doesn’t bode well. Cupboard wasn’t bare at Havelock when Jim Bob left because of the school system.
i said the pay must be awful

i said the pay must be awful

I’m moreso responding to the cupboard comment as the cupboard is far from bare but that alone won’t likely entice a coach to take thousands of $ less than what they’re making now.

We’ve got a good young assistant coach that coaches the JV, at this point just give him the keys and see what he does. If you don’t like it, make a big splash next year when the coaching carousel starts the end/first of the year.

Last edited:
Coach to be named Thursday. Press Conference set for Thursday @ 10am I think. All I can say is they are from out of state and headed to NC.

they forgot to tell you WERE ON THE CLEAN UP CREW. HEAD CLEANER NOT HEAD COACH. HOW YOU BEEN DOING

Best wishes to Coach Tapley. Hope he’s ready for this journey ... definitely not Wilkes Co., and he certainly ain’t in Kansas anymore.

Best wishes to Coach Tapley. Hope he’s ready for this journey ... definitely not Wilkes Co., and he certainly ain’t in Kansas anymore.

He's done well everywhere he's been which includes coaching in the state of North Carolina. We've been blessed with two great coaches the last 20+ years, hopefully that trend continues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT