ADVERTISEMENT

NEW BERN NEW COACH

51VcxXwhLyL.jpg

IT IS OFFICAL.
The new Coach is an Official? Isn’t that against the rules? If not, brilliant move!!! “One ref is signaling the NB RB down at the 5 yard line BUT the new NB Coach/Official is signaling TD” ....I like New Bern’s chances if this rumor is true.

IT IS OFFICAL.
The new Coach is an Official? Isn’t that against the rules? If not, brilliant move!!! “One ref is signaling the NB RB down at the 5 yard line BUT the new NB Coach/Official is signaling TD” ....I like New Bern’s chances if this rumor is true.

From what I've heard through the rumor mill is that they offered it to one guy at the beginning of the week - he turned it down. Then they offered it to another guy around mid week and - he turned it down. Wonder if the third time is the charm?

From what I've heard through the rumor mill is that they offered it to one guy at the beginning of the week - he turned it down. Then they offered it to another guy around mid week and - he turned it down. Wonder if the third time is the charm?

Have you seen what the teachers make in Craven County? The pay will still be the same on the third offer. Would make no sense for Beau in J-ville to move from Onslow to Craven.

Oh I don't know who the candidate will be or is. Just replying to the poster who said it was official. All I've heard through the rumor mill is they have extended offers to two people - who they are I'm not sure - and those two turned it down. So whoever they offer - which will be the 3rd - will take it because as the saying goes, "third time is the charm."

Oh I don't know who the candidate will be or is. Just replying to the poster who said it was official. All I've heard through the rumor mill is they have extended offers to two people - who they are I'm not sure - and those two turned it down. So whoever they offer - which will be the 3rd - will take it because as the saying goes, "third time is the charm."

Got ya. I did hear that Beau from Jacksonville turned it down, haven't heard anything else. My understanding was that a plan was in place for a coach in 2019-2020 but with Coach Curlings coaching this year. I think they want to hire outside but they might soon have to hire inside as a interim and look elsewhere at the end of this season.

Might have to go that direction with it being May 18th and spring ball in full affect and the end of school in a few weeks. My question is this. Knowing that coaches talk to one another non-stop regarding potential jobs why hasn't anyone taken this job? A team that has won three state championships, has the potential to be contenders, in a conference that has only one other 4A school in it - so looking at possibly having one of the easiest routes into the playoffs year in and year out, and living by the beach (I'm envious because I'm 4 hours away). I know they have been middle of the road since 14 they lost coaching positions and pay isn't all that great but that can't be the sole reason. Is the admin and AD that bad there? From an outsiders look that's what it looks like.

Might have to go that direction with it being May 18th and spring ball in full affect and the end of school in a few weeks. My question is this. Knowing that coaches talk to one another non-stop regarding potential jobs why hasn't anyone taken this job? A team that has won three state championships, has the potential to be contenders, in a conference that has only one other 4A school in it - so looking at possibly having one of the easiest routes into the playoffs year in and year out, and living by the beach (I'm envious because I'm 4 hours away). I know they have been middle of the road since 14 they lost coaching positions and pay isn't all that great but that can't be the sole reason. Is the admin and AD that bad there? From an outsiders look that's what it looks like.

I won't bash anyone on here but I will say that the pay sucks and the coaching turnover of young bright assistants have hurt mightily. But the pay is the biggest thing here, coaches need to feed their families. I like what I see coming from JV the next few years but you still need coaches to motivate and to guide these kids both on and off the field. Hoping we get some news in the coming weeks.

My apologies I wasn't asking you to bash anyone on here. Just curious as to why. I understand pay sucks, however coaches are teachers and that's where they make the chunk of their base salary. That is set by the state. Coaching pay is a supplement to their salaries they make from the state. Most counties average for a HC anywhere between $3,000 to $6,000 based on years of experience (not counting under-the-table pay) and asst. coaches average across the state is $1,500 to $3,000 based on years of experience. All programs loose good asst. coaches but I'm sure there are other programs in the same boat as NB. I mean I'm sure Scotland County offers the same amount for coaching pay for asst. coaches, maybe even less, as Craven and they seem to retool with young coaches. What's keeping people away from it. Take pay out of the equation and that's where the problem probably lies at.

Reactions: ncjeff
1. Ability to hire assistant coaches on staff at the school.
2. Local pay for the HFC and/or class load. Some coaches are blessed with one class, then football duties the rest of the day.
3. Cost of living down there. I lived in Carteret County for 6 years. No way we could ever buy a house with the cost of flood insurance on top of housing cost.
These are 3 reasons I could see as an issue for many coaches.

Reactions: FootballDude25
The pay can't be worse than it is anywhere else in NC.

I don't have the figures but below is a quote from Chris Hughes of Carolina Preps who knows a thing or two about high school sports.

"Of course to get an established and successful head coach, I feel that the county will have to work on improving its pay scale because right not it's not nearly as competitive as some other big systems."

Counties / systems have teaching supplements in addition to the state supplement. They vary and some counties add nothing. Coaching supplements and teaching requirements vary greatly between systems. It is much more affordable to live in some places than others but a local supplement can even things out while la k of a string supplement in a high cost area can be crushing.

NB will probably have to go with a younger guy from within. You roll the dice like that but if the established coaches from the past are in good paying situations they aren't coming.

NB will probably have to go with a younger guy from within. You roll the dice like that but if the established coaches from the past are in good paying situations they aren't coming.

Regardless of age, I think they'll be forced to hire within due to timing concerns. Have a interim coach this year and hope to get a home run hire for next year.

Regardless of age, I think they'll be forced to hire within due to timing concerns. Have a interim coach this year and hope to get a home run hire for next year.

Is it true they have been told no by several coaches that were not interested at all and a few that had some interest in the job?

Is it true they have been told no by several coaches that were not interested at all and a few that had some interest in the job?

I've heard they've had a few no's. I'm telling you guys, the pay is the issue here. New Bern has talent, the city is beautiful and is growing rapidly but it all comes down to the dolla bills. We can't hang with the bigger programs.

Agree with Port on this one about getting a younger coach or going from within for the short term. While I don't disagree money is an issue there has to be something else there. Why would Coach Curlings step aside from all he's accomplished? It couldn't be the pay.... I've read he's not retiring. Again, from what I've heard he will still be teaching for a one or two more years. That sends up red flag up about administration and AD. Plus who wants to be the new guy in town with the old guy still in the building? Again, don't disagree pay is an important factor but there is more to this than just pay.

Agree with Port on this one about getting a younger coach or going from within for the short term. While I don't disagree money is an issue there has to be something else there. Why would Coach Curlings step aside from all he's accomplished? It couldn't be the pay.... I've read he's not retiring. Again, from what I've heard he will still be teaching for a one or two more years. That sends up red flag up about administration and AD. Plus who wants to be the new guy in town with the old guy still in the building? Again, don't disagree pay is an important factor but there is more to this than just pay.

He stepped aside because of his health. He missed the entire 2016 season because of health matters, also. However, he will still be in the athletic department. I will say some folks in the administration do not value football as they should.

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE ONE OF THE KIDS , I KNEW AS A CHILD WAS A VOLUNTERR COACH. I WILL NOT MENTION NAMES . HE WAS THE EYES AND EARS OF THE COMMUNITY. HE HAS NOT BEEN WITH THE PROGRAM IN YEARS. HIS CONTRIBUTION WAS IMMENSE.GOOD MORNING .

Good Morning Oct1954. Hope all is well with the buses, the train, the transfer trucks, and the next scottish parade

The Bern will rise

He stepped aside because of his health. He missed the entire 2016 season because of health matters, also. However, he will still be in the athletic department. I will say some folks in the administration do not value football as they should.
Well that's not good news for the NB faithful! Once that happens the tradition can fall quickly. Look at AL Brown HS, their whole community was about their FB program for decades. Probably more so than anywhere else in the state(Maybe RC). Then slowly it changed one admin at a time. When the admin doesn't care about tradition, tradition will go somewhere else.

Reactions: FootballDude25
The way we look at legacy is that it’s something you pass on to somebody else in the future. One of the deals coaches usually want the players to buy into is that tradition is built hour by hour and day by day by the choices they make. The choices of those athletes decisions will determine what foundation people lay for a program. If the Bern feel that they have being bumped around by realignment, they need to go back into history and look at their success. They can bounce back. To have a program like the New Bern that has been successful every year starts with a foundation of past success. The Bern should rely on that tradition and start a tradition of their own to build on that. Winning builds confidence and confidence will help the Bern succeed and win. All this is just a cycle.

New Bern if they dont already have it need sound work ethic in the weight room, commitment in the classroom, and an overall team concept. It is needed in order to build future success.

Well that's not good news for the NB faithful! Once that happens the tradition can fall quickly. Look at AL Brown HS, their whole community was about their FB program for decades. Probably more so than anywhere else in the state(Maybe RC). Then slowly it changed one admin at a time. When the admin doesn't care about tradition, tradition will go somewhere else.

The City of Kannapolis also changed drastically over the last thirty years. Probably as much as any town in the state.

Low teacher stipend. Low coaching stipend. Central office not very supportive. High cost of living. Geographically remote (located northeast area of the state).

I think fir a coach with a family the financial burden is always an issue. Low supplemental pay and high cost of living. Double whammy.

Reactions: Steelers71
The City of Kannapolis also changed drastically over the last thirty years. Probably as much as any town in the state.
There is no question about that. As the mill jobs left, Kann was forced to provide revenue from a different source and they have acclimated. With that acclamation has come the bringing in of people from outside the area. Those people dont know or care about the FB programs history. The FB players were treated like royalty, now every sport has to be treated the same. Kids grew up and wanted to be part of that royalty. It isn't the same now.

Low teacher stipend. Low coaching stipend. Central office not very supportive. High cost of living. Geographically remote (located northeast area of the state).

I think fir a coach with a family the financial burden is always an issue. Low supplemental pay and high cost of living. Double whammy.

New Bern is not in the northeast area of the state.

NAME PLEASE. . WE WILL RISE AGAIN.2012. YOU PLAYED WITH CHERRY , JOSH . ONE OF YOUR COACHES. I REMEMBER HIM AS A KID COACH WILLIAMS.I GREW UP IN CT, . MATTER OF FACT I GOT ONE OF THOSE TEES HANGING ON MY WALL 12- 14. FAT DADDY FAMILY AND I ARE REAL CLOSE HAVE A NICE DAY COF 72

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT