ADVERTISEMENT

Need clarity about the new playoff seedings?

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
After reading on the NCHSAA website about the new upcoming playoffs that will seed 48 teams instead of the previous 64 that was in place last year....I'm left wondering how the NCHSAA will determine the 8 teams that receive the BYES in both the 1A & 1AA playoffs?...Are conference champions still given the preferred status as previous years?...The reason I ask is that South Robeson will likely be the 1A Representative from the Split-Class Three Rivers Conference, but how will the Mustangs be seeded in the upcoming playoffs?....Will they receive a BYE for being the top 1A school from that conference?....If so, that could mean that a team that won 3/4 games or less would receive a BYE over a possible 2nd place 1A school from another conference that likely will have a better overall record?.....What about the Atlantic-6 who now only has 4 members in their conference after Cape Hatteras cancelled their season?....Will only the Conference Champion from this conference be able to qualify now that the conference only has 4 teams?

There are 14 Conferences in the state that contain 1A schools with either membership in an all exclusive 1A Conference or in a Split-Class 1A/2A Conference....Does this mean that there will be 2 2nd place teams from these conferences that will be awarded a BYE in either the 1A or 1AA playoffs?

There of course will be 8 BYES each for the 1A playoffs with 4 in the East and 4 in the West, and the same will apply for the 1AA playoffs, meaning 16 teams out of the 48 teams will receive BYES, leaving 32 teams competing in the first round with 16 in each the 1A & 1AA, meaning 8 teams in the West will play 4 first round games with 4 first round games in the East for 1A,, and the same setup will happen for the 1AA playoffs if I understand this new setup correctly, but my biggest question as mentioned above is which teams receive the 16 BYES from the 14 1A Conferences?

Thanks in advance for helping me to better understand this new Playoff Setup!

Conference champions 1st, then they go by maxpreps ratings to my understanding. Not sure about the 1a/2a conferences but to my understanding you no longer get seeding preference based off how you finish in 1a in a split conference. For example if you finish 4th in a 1a/2a conference but we're the top 1a finisher they would go to maxpreps ratings and seed you accordingly. A true conference champion gets a bye then the highest rated teams. That's the way I understand it but I could be totally off.

They'll be seeded off Maxpreps ratings. The ratings will also determine which teams get in after conference champions and 2nd place teams in straight 1A as well as anyone that finishes 2nd overall in a split conference if 1 1A team wins the conference. I curious if Maxpreps will release the ratings because it says on the website the ones they have posted are not used for the playoffs.

(1) Teams in their classification with the highest MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system) will be selected to fill the remaining slots in the bracket.

Guess NCHSAA leaving themselves an escape clause if needed?

South Robeson will probably be stuck in the west with probably a home game but not a bye. But what I'm wondering is with the brackets we are going to have 4 teams from each side with byes.

Conference champions 1st, then they go by maxpreps ratings to my understanding. Not sure about the 1a/2a conferences but to my understanding you no longer get seeding preference based off how you finish in 1a in a split conference. For example if you finish 4th in a 1a/2a conference but we're the top 1a finisher they would go to maxpreps ratings and seed you accordingly. A true conference champion gets a bye then the highest rated teams. That's the way I understand it but I could be totally off.

To my understanding after conference champs it goes to win loss and then maxpreps rankings for tie breakers unless there was a head to head.

To my understanding - there will be automatic quailfiers this year - any conference or split conference division that has 1-4 teams will receive 1 AQ. 5-8 teams gets 2 AQ. 9 teams gets 3 AQ. AQ's are seeded in first - 1's by MaxPreps rating, then 2's by Maxpreps, then 3's by Maxpreps and then everyone else by Maxpreps until you reach 48 teams. If a split conference has 2 teams from the same division be 1 and 2 in the overall conference, those 2 teams are both AQ's.

the playoffs got better in 1A/4A...got rid of dead weight teams....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT