3. Mount Airy (5-0)
4. Murphy (4-1)
5. Mitchell (5-0)
6. East Wilkes (4-0)
7. North Rowan (3-1)
8. Cherokee (4-0)
9. Mountain Island Charter (3-1)
10. North Duplin (5-0)

Murphy lost to undefeated, larger and powerful Franklin by only 28-21 at Franklin and beat Pisgah!. Not sure Murphy isn't #1.
I think Robbinsville (3-1) will end up ahead of Cherokee.

Polls do not mean much after only 5 games.

Tarboro is the rightful #1, if Edenton Holmes beats Northeastern then they are the rightful #2. If Holmes loses I feel Murphy should be #2.

Not slighting my Mount Airy Bears at all, but I like us in #4. It is where you end up that counts. I just think polls are not too accurate early on. However, the Bears are really good. Good enough to win it all ---- just like about 5 other teams.

I may have to agree if Holmes beat Northeastern they may deserve to be #2 or #1. I personally don't think they will beat Northeastern which is a very good 2A team at this point.

Last edited:
Boy Robbinsville people are sure hoping we don't beat swain. Seems to be a little worry behind that . Time will tell but I wouldn't bet against the braves they are playing smash mouth grind it out football but can throw it when needed. Years before we been pass first now we gotta be 70-30 run and had almost 500 yards of offense compared to 250 for smokey . So keep basing your picks on that score lol

Reactions: TigerDen1
Boy Robbinsville people are sure hoping we don't beat swain. Seems to be a little worry behind that . Time will tell but I wouldn't bet against the braves they are playing smash mouth grind it out football but can throw it when needed. Years before we been pass first now we gotta be 70-30 run and had almost 500 yards of offense compared to 250 for smokey . So keep basing your picks on that score lol

AMEN!! Let'um keep thinking that. Heck, we beat Rsvile last year with a team of underclassmen!!
And, um, the Asheville Citizen picked SM by 14!!

Well Briggs doesn't run up the score so he has shut everyone down pretty quick. And your schedule hadn't been much better so keep finding ways to make yourself feel better

Ur is minus 14 or something. Our is minus 2 and nurphy is minus 1. Andrews is minus 15.

Not even close so far.

Keep worrying about our schedule. Probably should be worrying about Murphy . You will see Cherokee soon enough

In fact let's look closer . Last year and this year Cherokee has beaten two teams in max preps top 15. Who y'all beat. I'll be waiting

I said in the last year and this year . Read my friend . Robbinsville and north Duplin . Who cares if you play tough teams and lose 34/7 .. d

Not slighting my Mount Airy Bears at all, but I like us in #4. It is where you end up that counts. I just think polls are not too accurate early on. However, the Bears are really good. Good enough to win it all ---- just like about 5 other teams.

I may have to agree if Holmes beat Northeastern they may deserve to be #2 or #1. I personally don't think they will beat Northeastern which is a very good 2A team at this point.
If the Edenton Aces beat Northeastern they deserve to be #1,Tarboro #2. I saw Northeastern participate in the HSOT in August in Raleigh at Cardinal-Gibbons and they are loaded and talent with at least 4 D1 prospects and a # 3 star recruit in Freshwater at RB and LB and a #4 star recruit in J.R. Walker who can play QB,Safety,KR,and WR very well should have been the NC Preps preseason nominee for the athletes position destroy 3A Southern Durham and a few weeks later went to Norfolk,Va. and destroy 5A Norview. If The Aces win they deserve to be #1 in 1A football until they lose a game because both teams is averaging over 40 points a game and Edenton has beaten and dominated all the teams that were in their conference last season when they were 2A except Hertford County who they didn't schedule this year with a revamp team in all aspect. Keimon Bailey is the only RB that started last year their QB played RB last year and ran all over South Columbus in the eastern championship game and they lost three offensive linemen from last year team. They just keep doing what they do which is win since coach Hoggard and coach Mattera got together. Coach Mattera would have won in his second year at Thomasville if he would have stayed because the same thing happen to Edenton when he took over and turned that program a winner but your family comes before football and he did what he had to do like any of us would have done. The man is a winner and knows how to coach football.

Holmes (5-0) ADM 606 2016
Dropped to 1A this year..
Holmes Football Roster Shows 42 with 18 Seniors this year

2016 NCHSAA 2A State Runner-Up
1980 NCHSAA 3A Regional Finals
1967 NCHSAA 2A State Champions
1965 NCHSAA 2A State Champions
1964 NCHSAA 2A State Champions
1960 NCHSAA 2A State Champions
1957 NCHSAA 1A State Champions
1956 NCHSAA 1A State Champions
1954 NCHSAA 1A State Champions

Last edited:
Tarboro (5-0) ADM 609 2016
Was 2A in 2012 dropped to 1A around 2013 or 14
Tarboro Football Roster shows 48 with 20 seniors

2016 NCHSAA 1AA Regional Finals
2012 NCHSAA 2A State Runner-Up
2011 NCHSAA 2A State Champions
2010 NCHSAA 2A State Champions
2009 NCHSAA 2A State Champions
2008 NCHSAA 2A State Runner-Up
1998 NCHSAA 2A State Runner-Up
1993 NCHSAA 3A Regional Finals
1987 NCHSAA 3A Regional Finals
1984 NCHSAA 3A State Champions
1965 NCHSAA 3A State Champions

Last edited:
Monroe just went to 2A in 2013 with ADM 899 and now they have 3A ADM Monroe 3A ADM 1180 numbers. playing 2A. Why were they not put in 3A this year ?

Um, they are. They are in an all 3-A conference with Weddington, Charlotte Catholic and a few others.
I am sorry my bad ,I did not realize they had moved up to the Southern Carolina 3A conference. I guess I should have checked before posting. The went from 1A to 3A in 4 years or last 2 reclassification. 2014 2A & 2017 3A

Reactions: Bearcat67

End of discussion. Northeastern walloped Holmes as I suspected. Murphy struggled against Robbinsville and got some lucky breaks.

Hmm, Tarboro and Mt. Airy looking 1 and 2.

Lol give EW a plug in there. We beat up Surry Central a lil worse than MA did...but Tarboro and MA look like a solid #1 and #2 .

Murphy struggled against Robbinsville and got some lucky breaks.

Hmm, Tarboro and Mt. Airy looking 1 and 2.
"Struggled" is a bit much, 'Dogs outscored Knights 21-3 after the first quarter. Not sure what the lucky breaks were either, Robbinsville's only touchdown of the game was on a halfback pass after an absolutely bogus roughing the punter penalty.

Bottomline Murphy still won by 2 scores against a team that won't lose another regular season game if they play like they did tonight. Yes this was a below par performance from Murphy but Robbinsville played a real good game last night, hard to match the physicality an intensity level of Robbinsville after playing three cupcakes in a row.

'Dogs will be just fine, I still more than like their chances against anyone not named Tarboro when they bring their A game.

Last edited:
1A

1. Tarboro (5-0)
2. Holmes (5-0)
3. Mount Airy (5-0)
4. Murphy (4-1)
5. Mitchell (5-0)
6. East Wilkes (4-0)
7. North Rowan (3-1)
8. Cherokee (4-0)
9. Mountain Island Charter (3-1)
10. North Duplin (5-0)

I believe that North Duplin will be playing for the small 1-A state championship.

Reactions: DCGent1992
Robbinsville two claims to fame is two losers this year . Our schedule is tougher and we played Murphy to a two score game lol good job

Reactions: TigerDen1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT