ADVERTISEMENT

NCPreps 2A Poll - Week 6

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Here is the NCPreps.com 2A football poll for Week 6 of the 2022 high school football season.

2A

1. East Surry (5-0)

2. Reidsville (4-1)

3. Monroe (5-0)

4. Maiden (3-1)

5. Wallace-Rose Hill (4-1)

6. Burns (4-1)

7. Chase (4-0)

8. Hertford (4-0)

9. Salisbury (4-1)

10. Shelby (2-3)

Forest Hills should be in top 10 somewhere

I think they're better than numbers 7-10 right now.
Every ranking I've seen Forest Hills is ranked in the top 10 except this one. Maxpreps, Massey, CalPreps and The Charlotte Observer/News and Observer poll. 5-0 even after beating a very good Charlotte Latin team isn't enough I guess.

Every ranking I've seen Forest Hills is ranked in the top 10 except this one. Maxpreps, Massey, CalPreps and The Charlotte Observer/News and Observer poll. 5-0 even after beating a very good Charlotte Latin team isn't enough I guess.
Maybe because the combined record of your schedule so far is 4-18. 3 of those wins were by one team. You're hanging your hat on that Charlotte Latin game but their resume isn't great either.

Maybe because the combined record of your schedule so far is 4-18. 3 of those wins were by one team. You're hanging your hat on that Charlotte Latin game but their resume isn't great either.
But they also have Chase ranked #7 with opponents having 2-15 record and they don't have any signature wins at all.

Just for fun my top 10. Feel free to complain or gripe and rip me a new one. Just for fun and I'm home bored. 😆 🤣 🤪 Feel free to add or subtract or add more. Thought I'd try at the halfway point of the season.

1. Burns 4-1.
2. Reidsville 4-1
3. Monroe 5-0
4. East Surry 5-0
5. Wallace Rose Hill 4-1
6. Shelby 2-3
7. Forest Hills 5-0
8. Hertford Co. 4-0
9. J.M. Robinson 4-1
10. Salisbury 4-1

Opponent/Class
Biggest win so Far: MaxPreps rankings
1. Burns - Crest #8 3A
2. Reidsville - Eastern Alamance #10 3A
3. Monroe - Marvin Ridge #40 4A
4. East Surry - Mount Airy #2 1A
5. Wall. Rose Hill - Clinton #19 2A
6. Shelby - Hibriten #67 3A (#1 SOS)
7. Forest Hills - Cha. Latin #5 NCIHSAA
8. Hertford Co. - Tarboro #7 1A
9. Robinson - Cuthbertson #45 4A
10. Salisbury - Thomasville #9 1A

Close to getting in/not in ranking order:
Greene Central 5-0
Chase 4-0
West Lincoln 4-0
Bunker Hill 4-0
Hendersonville 4-1
Maiden 4-1
Clinton 4-1

Just for fun my top 10. Feel free to complain or gripe and rip me a new one. Just for fun and I'm home bored. 😆 🤣 🤪 Feel free to add or subtract or add more. Thought I'd try at the halfway point of the season.

1. Burns 4-1.
2. Reidsville 4-1
3. Monroe 5-0
4. East Surry 5-0
5. Wallace Rose Hill 4-1
6. Shelby 2-3
7. Forest Hills 5-0
8. Hertford Co. 4-0
9. J.M. Robinson 4-1
10. Salisbury 4-1

Opponent/Class
Biggest win so Far: MaxPreps rankings
1. Burns - Crest #8 3A
2. Reidsville - Eastern Alamance #10 3A
3. Monroe - Marvin Ridge #40 4A
4. East Surry - Mount Airy #2 1A
5. Wall. Rose Hill - Clinton #19 2A
6. Shelby - Hibriten #67 3A (#1 SOS)
7. Forest Hills - Cha. Latin #5 NCIHSAA
8. Hertford Co. - Tarboro #7 1A
9. Robinson - Cuthbertson #45 4A
10. Salisbury - Thomasville #9 1A

Close to getting in/not in ranking order:
Greene Central 5-0
Chase 4-0
West Lincoln 4-0
Bunker Hill 4-0
Hendersonville 4-1
Maiden 4-1
Clinton 4-1
I think you still have Forest hills too low ... that win against Latin was big .. but in the end we will all see who is gonna be king of 2A this year. That’s the thing I actually like about no split

I think the big thing with NCPreps Ranking is they favor schools who have star players (for the state) and are perennially good. You do get some exceptions...I think they just favor them.

I also think at times they are just waiting on big games to happen.

1. East Surry (5-0) - Big time QB - Top 3 in 2A...ya'll can argue which spot he's in - Year in Year out success

2. Reidsville (4-1) - Big time QB - Top 3 in 2A...ya'll can argue which spot he's in - Year in Year out success

3. Monroe (5-0) - Athletes all around - Year in Year out success...great in 2A then switched to 3A and are now back in 2A - they're getting a nod based off dominating 4A and being in the toughest 2A conference (per rankings)

4. Maiden (3-1) - Year in Year out success - returned most of the team from last years 4th round run - Star WR who's one of the best in the state - One of the hardest conferences in 2A

5. Wallace-Rose Hill (4-1) - Year in Year out success - proven system that produces top RB talent every year

6. Burns (4-1) - Excellent senior talent - Success with the one of the hardest schedules - Good every year

7. Chase (4-0) - Recently successful but arguably the best RB in the State

8. Hertford (4-0) - I admit I don't know anything about them

9. Salisbury (4-1) - Year in and year out success but I still don't know if they are a top 10 team - this is the spot that could have multiple teams: West Lincoln, Hendersonville, Robinson, Forest Hills, Greene Central, Princeton.

10. Shelby (2-3) - Until a 2A team can beat them they deserve to be here - even if just at No. 10 due to their record, which is debatable due to how hard their nonconf is

The next few weeks will sort some of this out.

I think you still have Forest hills too low ... that win against Latin was big .. but in the end we will all see who is gonna be king of 2A this year. That’s the thing I actually like about no split
If we get by a decent 3A Parkwood team after the bye this week I think we'll meet Monroe undefeated. Monroe though has to get by a decent 4A Porter Ridge team this week who hung on til the 4th quarter with Cardinal Gibbons.

FH remaining schedule:
3A Parkwood 2-3
2A West Stanly 3-2
2A Anson County 3-2
Trinity Christian Fayetteville 2-1 (NCISAA)
2A Monroe 5-0

If we get by a decent 3A Parkwood team after the bye this week I think we'll meet Monroe undefeated. Monroe though has to get by a decent 4A Porter Ridge team this week who hung on til the 4th quarter with Cardinal Gibbons.

FH remaining schedule:
3A Parkwood 2-3
2A West Stanly 3-2
2A Anson County 3-2
Trinity Christian Fayetteville 3-1
2A Monroe 5-0
They are waiting to see if the Latin win was a fluke or if that's who you are.

But they also have Chase ranked #7 with opponents having 2-15 record and they don't have any signature wins at all.
Fair point. I guess Chase had a lot more success than you guys last year and returned basically everyone.

I also see your 2A rankings down below. While we do have arguably the best win on your 2A list, I don't think we're #1. Top 5 for sure. But I think we're lacking in a few areas that could bite us this year. Offensive Line needs to improve and I think our run defense needs to step up. I would put our pass defense up against any 2A team. Thanks for the shout out though.

They are waiting to see if the Latin win was a fluke or if that's who you are.

Fair point. I guess Chase had a lot more success than you guys last year and returned basically everyone.

I also see your 2A rankings down below. While we do have arguably the best win on your 2A list, I don't think we're #1. Top 5 for sure. But I think we're lacking in a few areas that could bite us this year. Offensive Line needs to improve and I think our run defense needs to step up. I would put our pass defense up against any 2A team. Thanks for the shout out though.
With FH our O-Line needs to step up just a tad in pass protection but our defense is stout. Our Defensive end Ephraim Deese 6'4" 220 is almost unstoppable and Middle linebacker Caden Smith may be the best linebacker in Union County as a junior. He's definitely a top 3 in Union County.

With FH our O-Line needs to step up just a tad in pass protection but our defense is stout. Our Defensive end Ephraim Deese 6'4" 220 is almost unstoppable and Middle linebacker Caden Smith may be the best linebacker in Union County as a junior. He's definitely a top 3 in Union County.
Did your offense score against Latin?

Reactions: Maiden Creek

We scored on a punt return TD, defensive TD and a field goal. Offense got to the 5 yard line but was intercepted. We then got to the one yard line but two dumb penalties pushed us back. We had to settle for a field goal. Score shouldn't have been as close as it was. Dumb mistakes. We also played that game without our star RB who was hurt also without our starting kicker who was also hurt.

Last edited:
I think the big thing with NCPreps Ranking is they favor schools who have star players (for the state) and are perennially good. You do get some exceptions...I think they just favor them.

I also think at times they are just waiting on big games to happen.

1. East Surry (5-0) - Big time QB - Top 3 in 2A...ya'll can argue which spot he's in - Year in Year out success

2. Reidsville (4-1) - Big time QB - Top 3 in 2A...ya'll can argue which spot he's in - Year in Year out success

3. Monroe (5-0) - Athletes all around - Year in Year out success...great in 2A then switched to 3A and are now back in 2A - they're getting a nod based off dominating 4A and being in the toughest 2A conference (per rankings)

4. Maiden (3-1) - Year in Year out success - returned most of the team from last years 4th round run - Star WR who's one of the best in the state - One of the hardest conferences in 2A

5. Wallace-Rose Hill (4-1) - Year in Year out success - proven system that produces top RB talent every year

6. Burns (4-1) - Excellent senior talent - Success with the one of the hardest schedules - Good every year

7. Chase (4-0) - Recently successful but arguably the best RB in the State

8. Hertford (4-0) - I admit I don't know anything about them

9. Salisbury (4-1) - Year in and year out success but I still don't know if they are a top 10 team - this is the spot that could have multiple teams: West Lincoln, Hendersonville, Robinson, Forest Hills, Greene Central, Princeton.

10. Shelby (2-3) - Until a 2A team can beat them they deserve to be here - even if just at No. 10 due to their record, which is debatable due to how hard their nonconf is

The next few weeks will sort some of this out.
Salisbury has been one of the top 2A teams in the state the last few years and they are super athletic once again. The QB, RB and WR are really good players and make stopping them a task. I don't think they are winning state good this year, but a tough playoff game if healthy.

Salisbury has been one of the top 2A teams in the state the last few years and they are super athletic once again. The QB, RB and WR are really good players and make stopping them a task. I don't think they are winning state good this year, but a tough playoff game if healthy.
Yeah, their margin of victory over Thomasville got my attention. They are being slept on.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I believe Chase is the real deal this year. They have speed size and skill. If they are healthy come playoff time they WILL make a run

The defense is pretty fast and very good vs the run. The pass d isn’t at the same level as the run d but that could have improved

Also it doesn’t seem that a ton are playing both ways. With most 2a schools there a few

How is Shelby's run defense this season?
If you're running back is a giant bowling ball (ref AC Reynolds) you can run over them with no resistance.

If he's quick and fast then you have to throw to him in the secondary and he will be fine out there, other wise it'll be hard for him, unless he can shake his way out there on the edges(their other weak spot).

Reidsville has a better shot at them this year if they play

:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
How is Shelby's run defense this season?
Hard to tell. Only team that really had success running the ball was ACR, KM some. The pass is what has hurt Shelby in the other games. The Crest loss was seriously one of the worst losses I have ever witnessed. Moved a player who was playing linebacker to safety, and the safety who is much bigger, to linebacker, hat and some other changes. It looks encouraging. Time will tell. The Burns game will tell all.

Last edited:
Reactions: notanyonesfan
If you're running back is a giant bowling ball (ref AC Reynolds) you can run over them with no resistance.

If he's quick and fast then you have to throw to him in the secondary and he will be fine out there, other wise it'll be hard for him.

Reidsville running game not as good as last season. We are splitting carries with 4 running backs.

Reidsville running game not as good as last season. We are splitting carries with 4 running backs.

your passing game with the shifty receivers is what I'm referring to. The secondary is more suspect than the defensive front.

..or throw to some of the backs out in space

If he's quick and fast then you have to throw to him in the secondary and he will be fine out there, other wise it'll be hard for him, unless he can shake his way out there on the edges(their weak spot).

Will sound arrogant to some, and will ruffle some feathers, but a lot of those deficiencies lessen vs 2A opponents. It’s just a fact. But with that said, Shelby is not the team they were last year.

Reactions: Chopper747

If he's quick and fast then you have to throw to him in the secondary and he will be fine out there, other wise it'll be hard for him, unless he can shake his way out there on the edges(their other weak spot).

To your credit, though, this post was spot on.

Will sound arrogant to some, and will ruffle some feathers, but a lot of those deficiencies lessen vs 2A opponents. It’s just a fact. But with that said, Shelby is not the team they were last year.

I feel the same way. I still feel Shelby is our main detractor from going to states. Then Burns, Monroe, Chase and Forest Hill worry me after shelby

If you make it to the title game playing mostly running teams that can't beat you to edge the MOST of the time you have a point, but I think Burns, the other side of 704(FHS/Monroe), and Reidsville can have the same success Crest had on offense.

Ya'll will have to out score everybody to get there, which is very possible in 2A I'll give you that. But it wont be easy with the 4 teams mentioned above.

Last edited:
I feel the same way. I still feel Shelby is our main detractor from going to states. Then Burns, Monroe, Chase and Forest Hill worry me after shelby

Dont worry about one dimensional Chase with their Barry Sanders clone. Ya'll can outscore them to a win. As I told LA, it's the other 4 you have to worry about.

It'll be an offensive race for 4 qtrs. I expect basketball scores in the post season sans any injuries.

Dont worry about one dimensional Chase with their Barry Sanders clone. Ya'll can outscore them to a win. As I told LA, it's the other 4 you have to worry about.

It'll be an offensive race for 4 qtrs. I expect basketball scores in the post season sans any injuries.

Chase itself doesn't worry me. I just don't want to play them again after already playing them just last season. I think it would be much closer if they did play us this season.

As mentioned before, Shelby lost a kid, a great db to Stuart Cramer. He tried to go to Crest, initially. Upset he couldn’t play runningback, so he left Shelby. Anyway, his loss was HUGE. Fastest player on the team, with multiple ints and KO returns for touchdowns, before an injury took him out for the season last year. That loss has really haunted Shelby. You just don’t lose a player like that without it hurting you some. A loss for him, too. He would get more exposure at Shelby, in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT