ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA to have 8 classes in 2025-26

I personally think eight is too many. I think six would have been better. The state of Texas doesn't even have that many classifications, and it's WAY bigger than NC.
Six classes does make more sense for NC. However, Texas has twelve state championship games for football. I don't think NC is ready for that!

Last edited:
Three classes for the purposes of making conferences, then subdivide for every sport come playoff time. That gives us six state champions in pretty much every sport, which would be fair.

There are some sports where we might not have to subdivide or even have combined playoffs, like we do now for women's lacrosse. Some of that can be handled on a case by case basis. But for most schools and most sports that would be the simplest way forward.

Three classes for the purposes of making conferences, then subdivide for every sport come playoff time. That gives us six state champions in pretty much every sport, which would be fair.

There are some sports where we might not have to subdivide or even have combined playoffs, like we do now for women's lacrosse. Some of that can be handled on a case by case basis. But for most schools and most sports that would be the simplest way forward.
That was presented to the schools in 2009 or so along with a football only alignment. Schools were surprisingly drastically against both options.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
That was presented to the schools in 2009 or so along with a football only alignment. Schools were surprisingly drastically against both options.
Thanks. I'm curious as to why they wouldn't go for it, though. Also, given that that was almost 15 years ago, I wonder if they would be more receptive to it now.

Two things on this. First, there has been an enormous turnover in folks who would vote on these proposals since 2009. Second, and maybe most importantly, the NCHSAA is not sending schools proposals about realignment on a regular basis to ask for their thoughts. There may be a few "key" players they poll to find out their opinions but those folks aren't always representative of the whole group. Also, I can see most folks being against a football only alignment as most schools fans already have a hard time keeping up with their current conference as a lot of them change every realignment.

The proposals were put forth at the regional meetings. They have those once or twice a year.

The football coaches need to work together if they want change. Get a good solid plan, with support of everyone to show a united front, in place and get the ADs to support it and push it up the chain. Football coaches association has always been a bit fragmented to me.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm curious as to why they wouldn't go for it, though. Also, given that that was almost 15 years ago, I wonder if they would be more receptive to it now.
The responses I heard were it would cause confusion, hurt rivalries and consistency. I think it would result in more work, communication, and logistical concerns but I think it would be worth a doing it one alignment to determine r that.

I also think going to five or six classes next alignment would have been a smart move before going to eight. I think it would be much simpler to see how it works out and determine if another expansion was the best option.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Not sure of all details but in concept I like 8. What I really do not like is schools having to compete against schools 1.5 to 2 times their adm.

Reactions: Emmasdaddy1
Not sure of all details but in concept I like 8. What I really do not like is schools having to compete against schools 1.5 to 2 times their adm.
The sensible solution to me has always been to have the smallest and largest classification have the fewest teams and the middle classifications where most schools fall to have a larger number of schools.

Four classes with 1A and 4A having approximately 17% of the football playing schools and 2A-3A having 33% of the schools per class. For team sports subdivide the two middle classifications.

The basic main concerns to me are two items.
1. The smallest schools in 1A and the smallest schools in the largest classification.
2. 1A and 2A being dominated by non traditional schools (charter, Parochial, open enrollment) including some "traditional" schools that allow students living outside of their geogrphical district to participate in sports.

Until those two problems are addressed they are not really addressing the non football issue.

Thats where a lot of schools are at now. Wouldnt more classes help eliminate that?

HighschoolOT has some really good projections on the potential realignment. Robbinsville would be 1A (329),
Swain 2A (555), Murphy 2A (426), Cherokee 2A (413), Hayesville 1A (372), Andrews 1A (221).

Draughn 3A (692), Mountain Heritage 3A (612), Mitchell 2A (509), Madison 1A (387), Rosman 1A (269), Avery County 3A (587).

Mount Airy 3A (614), South Stokes 2A (587), Starmount 2A (541), East Wilkes 2A (522), Alleghaney 2A (408), North Stokes 1A (310), Elkin (could not find info) (421), East Surry 3A (592)

Tarboro 2A (492), West Columbus 2A (448), North Rowan 2A (572), Eastern Randolph 3A (623), South Stanley 2A (493), Albemarle 2A (531), North Stanley 3A (667).

Find it hard to believe Madison has dropped from almost 700 to 387 in a couple of years.

HighschoolOT has some really good projections on the potential realignment. Robbinsville would be 1A (329),
Swain 2A (555), Murphy 2A (426), Cherokee 2A (413), Hayesville 1A (372), Andrews 1A (221).

Draughn 3A (692), Mountain Heritage 3A (612), Mitchell 2A (509), Madison 1A (387), Rosman 1A (269), Avery County 3A (587).

Mount Airy 3A (614), South Stokes 2A (587), Starmount 2A (541), East Wilkes 2A (522), Alleghaney 2A (408), North Stokes 1A (310), Elkin (could not find info) (421), East Surry 3A (592)

Tarboro 2A (492), West Columbus 2A (448), North Rowan 2A (572), Eastern Randolph 3A (623), South Stanley 2A (493), Albemarle 2A (531), North Stanley 3A (667).
Looks like we're going to have a lot of split conferences.:mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT