| Falls Lake Academy vs. Chatham Charter - 1:00 PM @ South Johnston HS

1A West | Bishop McGuinness vs. Robbinsville - 3:00 PM @ Freedom HS

2A East | North Pitt vs. Seaforth - 6:00 PM @ South Garner HS

2A West | Salisbury vs. East Burke - 12:00 Noon @ Grimsley HS

3A East | Rocky Mount vs. Cape Fear - 2:00 PM @ Southern Lee HS

3A West | West Rowan vs. East Lincoln - 1:00 PM @ McDowell HS

4A East | Hillside vs. Panther Creek - 2:00 PM @ Lee County HS

4A West | Lake Norman vs. Charlotte Catholic - 2:00 PM @ Providence HS​

Honestly-I liked the schedule from last year better. With a little hustle you could get to more than one location and see games in multiple classifications. Maybe I can get back from the girls game at Grimsley to see part of the 1A girls at FHS, but it will be pushing it.

3A at McDowell and all 4 schools sit east of there, what sense does that make??
It's all about making use of that big gym.
Using Providence for 4A kind of works and I will be curious to see if they have to turn anyone away from the N.Meck/Myers Park game. But I expect a big crowd for the Cent. Cabarrus/W. Charlotte rematch from last year's regional and W. Rowan/E. Lincoln could also draw a nice crowd.

3A at McDowell and all 4 schools sit east of there, what sense does that make??
It happened very often when the regionals were in Winston Salem as well. I know McDowell and AC Reynolds girls played one year down there in the regional final and those schools sit 35 mins apart but instead, drove 2 hours east to play. There’s just not HS gyms in Charlotte big enough to host the majority of the crowds that will be at these events and the neutral court bigger non HS venues just don’t seem to be an option.

I watched Nantahala and Hendersonville play a regional game in Greensboro one year. 3 hours east of the further east of the two. It is what it is. It's something different and special and fun for the kids. Although it is a little different when you're making that trek to get to play in a college gym vs. some random out of the way high school.

I watched Nantahala and Hendersonville play a regional game in Greensboro one year. 3 hours east of the further east of the two. It is what it is. It's something different and special and fun for the kids. Although it is a little different when you're making that trek to get to play in a college gym vs. some random out of the way high school.
College gym really takes the atmosphere out of the game. High school gym such as McDowell or freedom allows for it not to be sold out but still an incredible atmosphere where you aren’t sitting 50 feet from the floor.

It depends on the college gym. Fleming Gym at UNC-G had a good atmosphere for some high school games I saw there. I imagine UNCA would also be good. But once you get to the big arenas I agree. Joel Coliseum was bad.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
The only time I can ever remember Freedom selling out the gym, as in "we can no longer admit anyone because of the concerns of the fire marshal" was in 1998 when the East Burke boys had their one good team.
They put several hundred other people in the cafeteria where they could watch on closed circuit TV that night.
I hope it does sell out, more money for the NCHSAA and probably a nice day selling concessions for FHS, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I bought a three tickets to see Reidsville play. I better be able to get in. How do you know if they sold out or not? At Grimsley 1 ticket buys both games so if the girls game is packed that don’t leave much room for boys fans coming in.

I believe that this may have been the case at Providence. Boys game Myers Park n North Meck being played 1st at 12. and then the girls game Lake Norman n Charlotte Catholic being played at 2.. Probably should have spread the games out more and had one game at 12 and the other at 4. That way fans would leave out the 1st game and the 2nd game fans would have a better chance getting in. JMO.

Last edited:
I believe that this may have been the case at Providence. Boys game Myers Park n North Meck being played 1st at 12. and then the girls game Lake Norman n Charlotte Catholic being played at 2.. Probably should have spread the games out more and had one game at 12 and the other at 4. That way fans would leave out the 1st game and the 2nd game fans would have a better chance getting in. JMO.
That’s my point. When do they stop selling tickets? When capacity hits for both games combined or will it be individual games. If that makes sense

The NCHSAA and the schools have to get together and figure out a plan for the regionals.

Central Cabarrus is twenty miles to West Charlotte. The schools are 90 and 110 miles to McDowell where they will play. How does that make any sense. Can they not get UNCC, Davidson, Independence Arena, Catawba, et al to let them play at one of those facilities.

Imagine UNCC hosting 3A boys and both 4A games at 12 noon, 2:30 pm, and 5 pm (or 12, 3, 6). I really think they could sell 6,000 plus tickets for one day with those three teams playing. $10 a pop covers all costs plus a chunk left over.

I do know from a college administrator that they do have concerns about high school games and potential violence and security issues.

That’s my point. When do they stop selling tickets? When capacity hits for both games combined or will it be individual games. If that makes sense
The games are too close together. Two hours does not cut it. I spoke with Que about this issue at LR when Cox Mill was playing SWG. They leave a lot of money on the table.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
According to go fan 1a east 2a east 3a east 4a east and 4a west are sold out. Just bought my 1a west ticket.

Reactions: thekidd12
I guess Lincoln Charter not selling many tickets because I know Reidsville fans are getting theirs .

Reactions: tarheel fan1
Are any of the basketball events online for one's listening pleasures ? Thanks in advance.
Sportstone.com will be broadcasting the Eastern Randolph 1A game.
Yes I know they are playing Bishop…
Couldn’t remember how to spell last half of name 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: cimsies
Sportstone.com will be broadcasting the Eastern Randolph 1A game.
Yes I know they are playing Bishop…
Couldn’t remember how to spell last half of name 🤷‍♂️
Thank you, Mister Kidd, and good luck to the Eastern Randolph Wildcats.
P.S. There was a dude that played for Manfred Mann's Earth Band named Tom McGuinness...Wonder if he's Bishop's long lost brother ?

The only time I can ever remember Freedom selling out the gym, as in "we can no longer admit anyone because of the concerns of the fire marshal" was in 1998 when the East Burke boys had their one good team.
They put several hundred other people in the cafeteria where they could watch on closed circuit TV that night.
I hope it does sell out, more money for the NCHSAA and probably a nice day selling concessions for FHS, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Brandon Hawkins was the reason why.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Some of the things I’m seeing out of the Charlotte media and other HS media outlets just leaves me shaking my head.

Some complain about the drive, others complain about the limited capacity. 4A West is a prime example. All the Charlotte crowd moaned and groaned for 3 days before the sites were selected fearing they would have to drive 90 whole minutes to McDowell or Freedom. Instead, they get a 1,500 capacity gym in Charlotte that sold out within 5 minutes and the moaning and groaning continues, can’t have it both ways. As you can tell, the large gyms of freedom and McDowell are not sold out and everyone can get in today to see those matchups.

Additionally, when McDowell hosted the 4A west last year, the joint wasn’t even half full

Judging from online ticket sales, a large contingent of Reidsville fans will be at Bob Sawyer Gymnasium on the Grimsley campus. Some are worried that the visitors from Salisbury and Connelly Springs will hang around and take the best seats.

Anybody think that will be an issue?

Judging from online ticket sales, a large contingent of Reidsville fans will be at Bob Sawyer Gymnasium on the Grimsley campus. Some are worried that the visitors from Salisbury and Connelly Springs will hang around and take the best seats.

Anybody think that will be an issue?
I'd be surprised if Salisbury's fans don't hang around, TGT....I"m assuming they'll clear out the gym before the Ram boys play...Good luck to the Reidsville Rams !!!

From what I heard, they are not clearing gym (you buy a ticket for the doubleheader)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT