ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy's David Gentry to establish a new wins record

CHEERDUCK

Jun 5, 2001
Hickory, NC
Coach Gentry won the 330th game for Murphy High last week, tying Tom Brown of Maiden High, as the coach with the most wins at one high school in the state of N.C.

The record win should come this week and will most likely be a record Coach Gentry can hold onto for a long time/

Coach Gentry won the 330th game for Murphy High last week, tying Tom Brown of Maiden High, as the coach with the most wins at one high school in the state of N.C.

The record win should come this week and will most likely be a record Coach Gentry can hold onto for a long time/

Coach Gentry's record will be hard to top this day and age for sure.....His Bulldogs are OPEN this week, but they should get the record the following week when they host Hayesville which will be fitting since the record will likely come in front of the home folk!

Congratulations to Coach Gentry on his distinguished career and his accomplishments as Coach of the Bulldogs!

Charlotte Catholic is a private school. Gentry is a legend across the board but in the public school domain yes he IS the coach with the most wins....if he stays in a few more years he will have conquered public, private, charter etc.

I stand corrected. Oddo is a legend and his record is just as legendary. I see Gentry breaking that record in a year or two as he still has much left in his tank.

I agree. Coach Oddo's record is dismissed by many who look at Charlotte Catholic with disdain. Among the NCHSAA affiliated schools (and Catholic is an NCHSAA school), Oddo has the record. If someone wants to, for whatever self-serving reasons, eliminate Catholic, Bishop McGuinness and Cardinal Gibbons from the mix, then Murphy and Brown are tied.

Coach Oddo aside, Coach Gentry will have to wait at least one more week. Allen Brown had 331 wins at Thomasville. The state just hasn't gotten around to recognizing it yet. Hopefully, that is in the process of being corrected now that he has been named to the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Funny thing the NCHSAA does not show Gentry on their site for same school wins. Somebody better contact the NCHSAA if that is correct.

SAME SCHOOL WINS: 330, Tom Brown in 35 years at Maiden 273, Frank Barger (Hickory) 273-120-5 in 1 year at Mineral Springs, 31 at Hickory) 254, E.Z. Smith (Concord) 254-100-1 in 29 years at Concord, 1980-2008) 245, Thell Overman (Wallace and Wallace-Rose Hill), 245-66-6 in 30 year

May have miss counted but as of this week Gentry is 327 on another site. I counted twice and got 327 from 1984 through last Friday night at Murphy. The site may be wrong as it is not the NCHSAA.

Last edited:
I think some of his wins were from now gone Edneyville. He went to Murphy in 1983. I discovered he coached 12 years prior to Murphy.
Gentry's 330 wins at Murphy are correct, Gentry has an additional 56 wins at Edneyville to give him 386 total. If Gentry coaches two more seasons he will in all likelihood pass Oddo for most wins at one school and Holley for most wins total.

Last edited:
NCHSAA site is not updated regularly and has incorrect information or is lacking information.

I consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to work with Coach Gentry on occasion the last few years. Quality man and a great football mind.

A young coach told me this story that I will paraphrase from a playoff game with Murphy a few years ago. Had heard about him and never met him or seen him. I was kind of in awe. I am out on the middle of the field and this little old guy walks up and speaks to me. Nice as could be. I was floored. I thought, "we got this!" Reminded me of a little hermit coming out of a cave. After the game I should have asked him for my pants back because he ripped them off as he whipped my ass with a lot less talent.

"NCHSAA site is not updated regularly and has incorrect information or is lacking information."

NCHSAA can only be updated if the schools will send in the information. The NCHSAA is not all knowing!! James Alverson of the NCHSAA is the one who looks over the records department. Rick Strunk has retired. So, have someone authorized from Murphy High school submit the appropriate documents to Mr. Alverson and they will update their records.

"NCHSAA site is not updated regularly and has incorrect information or is lacking information."

NCHSAA can only be updated if the schools will send in the information. The NCHSAA is not all knowing!! James Alverson of the NCHSAA is the one who looks over the records department. Rick Strunk has retired. So, have someone authorized from Murphy High school submit the appropriate documents to Mr. Alverson and they will update their records.
Sorry Doug. Not buying it. Allen Brown's 331 wins at Thomasville has been submitted, as have other records for the Bulldogs. I can think of at least four off the top of my head, with the others involving players. Coach Brown didn't kowtow to the powers that be at the NCHSAA. It's politics, pure and simple.
Hopefully, with Strunk gone, things will change. But I'll bet that, when they induct Coach Brown in April, they will cite his 331 wins. You know, the ones they don't recognize.
Perhaps the saddest part is that Coach Brown would have at least have held the record for at least four years. Now, he may never hold it because Coach Gentry will likely overtake him.
The good news is that Coach Brown doesn't care, because he was never motivated by individual recognition.

Last edited:
The record book has not been accurately reflective fir years. To fix it correctly would be a massive undertaking. The nstional book had issues for years with the worst being QBs having a TD pass they threw counted as one they scored, also. Should have been TD Responsibility.

Charlotte Catholic HC Jim Oddo 358-145 at his one school. He retired after the 2013 season. That is the number Coach Gentry will break.

Sorry Doug. Not buying it. Allen Brown's 331 wins at Thomasville has been submitted, as have other records for the Bulldogs. I can think of at least four off the top of my head, with the others involving players. Coach Brown didn't kowtow to the powers that be at the NCHSAA. It's politics, pure and simple.
Hopefully, with Strunk gone, things will change. But I'll bet that, when they induct Coach Brown in April, they will cite his 331 wins. You know, the ones they don't recognize.
Perhaps the saddest part is that Coach Brown would have at least have held the record for at least four years. Now, he may never hold it because Coach Gentry will likely overtake him.
The good news is that Coach Brown doesn't care, because he was never motivated by individual recognition.

Rick Strunk was a friend of mine and did a great job. He always updated everything I sent him and James Alverson, his replacement, has done the same thing. If you got a beef with the NCHSAA, you should contact them and not criticize on a message board.

Charlotte Catholic HC Jim Oddo 358-145 at his one school. He retired after the 2013 season. That is the number Coach Gentry will break.
Btango, were all of Coach Oddo's wins under the auspices of the NCHSAA, or were some private school wins?

Rick Strunk was a friend of mine and did a great job. He always updated everything I sent him and James Alverson, his replacement, has done the same thing. If you got a beef with the NCHSAA, you should contact them and not criticize on a message board.
I believe your first sentence explains the second. The association has always been a good old boys club. If you were in the circle, you were treated well. Outside....well not so much.
There has been plenty of contact directly with the NCHSAA. You may notice that there is quite a bit of criticism of that group on this site. I believe most of it is legitimate. We may just have to agree to disagree.

Disagree. When someone posts something factually inaccurate based on information provided by the NCHSAA, then the NCHSAA has opened itself up for criticism. I don't think it's up to a Strunk or an Alverson to ensure that these records are correct but I do believe that the NCHSAA oversight body should perform some due diligence to ensure these records are complete and accurate.

I believe your first sentence explains the second. The association has always been a good old boys club. If you were in the circle, you were treated well. Outside....well not so much.
There has been plenty of contact directly with the NCHSAA. You may notice that there is quite a bit of criticism of that group on this site. I believe most of it is legitimate. We may just have to agree to disagree.

I remember seeing Coach Brown at a state title week press conferences chatting and laughing with Charlie Adams. A lot of coaches joust with the NCHSAA. Some come out better than others I am sure.

A lot of the criticism is often based on incorrect info or not knowing the full details. The NCHSAA makes decisions I do not agree with but I often see people complaining about the NCHSAA when they do not realize their coach is with the NCHSAA on it which would change their tune.

Rick Strunk is/was always a class act. Twenty plus years having involvement with him and always went the extra mile. Found him to be honest beyond expectation.

I spoke with him about the record book and he told me that it's upkeep had fell off. People do not believe but there is a lot going on at the NCHSAA offices. Phone rings constantly from coaches, schools, systems, third parties calling for info and confirmations to go along with a lot of complaints.

I agree.
I think we all need to get back to congratulating a great coach for all he has done for Murphy, Edneyville, and North Carolina. His legacy is secured and his numbers are impressive. I am sure they will get him in the record book with all of the documentation I have seen. Somebody at Murphy should contact them.

I agree.
I think we all need to get back to congratulating a great coach for all he has done for Murphy, Edneyville, and North Carolina. His legacy is secured and his numbers are impressive. I am sure they will get him in the record book with all of the documentation I have seen. Somebody at Murphy should contact them.

No doubt about his legacy.

What is in doubt is a lack of oversight by the governing body of the NCHSAA. A lot of morons rely on information from websites that are not well kept and I know that the NCHSAA crowd are no morons. However when they let some shoddy oversight go down the drain they are ripe for criticism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT