ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy /Mitchell game location

If Mitchell finished 2 in their conf, then thats why Murphy will have the home field advantage. Murphy won the smc.

I think the reason Murphy got a better seed is because Mitchell lost a conference game and was an outright conference winner and Murphy's loss was out of conference and they were outright conference champs.

I guess we will find out who the tougher conference is Friday. Don't think Avery would compete much in football in the SMC either.

I would think heels10 is talking about this year. Not History. As Redy said the bottom is weak in both.

Yeah that's convenient... Throw out the history of the SMC. Then opine that the WHC is a tougher conference. Then change the rules so that a team with a conference loss trumps a team without one. Makes sense.

Reactions: dogman35
Let's compare titles

The WHC had been an all 2a conference until the last 10 years when a couple teams moved to 1a, and as we all know teams in the mountains just don't win state championships above the 1a level outside the Asheville area. If I'm not mistaken there's not been a non Asheville area team win a championship above the 1a level in at least 30 maybe 40 years, I guess one of the 70s Pisgah teams or when Swain was 2a. I think that's the main reason for the lack of titles for the WHC. Just look at Mitchell for example, as a 2a team up until they became 1a about 8 years ago they had less than 10 playoff wins in their history, just in the past 6 years in 1a Mitchell has 13 playoff wins, above 1a is just a different animal.

It would be neat to see an ACC big 10 challenge type thing early in the season between the WHC and SMC. You would set it up by preseason coaches poll so you would have like this year, Mountain Heritage against Murphy, Hendersonville vs Robbinsville, Mitchell vs Swain, Polk vs Cherokee, Madison vs Rosman, Avery vs Andrews, and Owen vs Hayesville. I would take Heritage, Hendersonville, Mitchell, Cherokee, Madison, Andrews, and Hayesville. So I would have it at WHC 4 to 3, I think most years it would be a pretty close matchup, but the WHC is going to weaken next year losing Hendersonville.

Murphy, Franklin, Swain, and Sylva-Webster (now Smoky Mountain) all won 2A titles in the 70s and 80s, and Brevard won a 3A title in the 80s, but none since then for non-1A, non-Asheville mountain teams.

Murphy, Franklin, Swain, and Sylva-Webster (now Smoky Mountain) all won 2A titles in the 70s and 80s, and Brevard won a 3A title in the 80s, but none since then for non-1A, non-Asheville mountain teams.

Forgot about that Brevard team, I bet that is the last one, think that was 82. It's crazy that we are in that long of a drought. Heritage played for a 2a title in 09 but I can't even think of another non Asheville mountain team playing for one in at least the last couple decades, I may be forgetting someone though, been quite a few in western finals.

Go DOGS!! Much respect to MURPHY & SWAIN in particular..they will play anybody anywhere regardless of classification..

There have been many years that swain and murphy could have won the 2A and been a hard out in 3a not recently but some how they get those kids to play on a different level . Smc has never turned down competition rosman plays heritage and andrews, cherokee play mitchell and murphy plays hendo. Hayesville I think is picking up heritage next year it won't be pretty but can't get better playing home school teams.

Franklin has won as many games as anyone the last 10 years and swain and MURPHY are the only teams that play them..hayesville will play enka or heritage but not franklin(25 min away) and cherokee will play Mitchell but not Franklin and robbinsville..nevermind plum pitiful..nothing made me happier every Friday than a blacknight loss..GO DAWGS and much respect to the Devils...i,understand Pisgah and MURPHY are opening season playing week 1 next year...

Franklin has won as many games as anyone the last 10 years and swain and MURPHY are the only teams that play them..hayesville will play enka or heritage but not franklin(25 min away) and cherokee will play Mitchell but not Franklin and robbinsville..nevermind plum pitiful..nothing made me happier every Friday than a blacknight loss..GO DAWGS and much respect to the Devils...i,understand Pisgah and MURPHY are opening season playing week 1 next year...

The fact that many of those schools no longer play Franklin is a product of our state playoff system. In recent years playoff seeds have been determined by overall wins. Most of the smaller SMC schools will lose more often as not against a school like Franklin. Hayesville within the last couple of years played home and home with both Enka and Pisgah and split with both. They mutually agreed to end the series.

The question is why do the bigger schools schedule smaller schools? Usually for certain wins. Funny, you seem to find fault in the smaller schools for scheduling games they have a chance to win. Really strange that it is ok for bigger schools to schedule down, but a sin for smaller schools to selectively schedule up. Should the same standards not be applied to both?

Tougher conference huh....I find it interesting that Mitchell went to state last year and continuously wins in their "super tough" conference looking like a carbon copy of Murphy's offense....in the poor podunk SMC. Curious I say....curious.

The fact that many of those schools no longer play Franklin is a product of our state playoff system. In recent years playoff seeds have been determined by overall wins. Most of the smaller SMC schools will lose more often as not against a school like Franklin. Hayesville within the last couple of years played home and home with both Enka and Pisgah and split with both. They mutually agreed to end the series.

The question is why do the bigger schools schedule smaller schools? Usually for certain wins. Funny, you seem to find fault in the smaller schools for scheduling games they have a chance to win. Really strange that it is ok for bigger schools to schedule down, but a sin for smaller schools to selectively schedule up. Should the same standards not be applied to both?

Hayesville did not split with Pisgah.....Bears won both

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT