ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Airy joins elite company with 800th win

DaddyDoug

Nov 29, 2008
Dublin, VA
twitter.com
Last night with their hard fought 17-14 win over previously undefeated and not scored on Starmount, the Mount Airy Granite Bears picked up their 800th career win and their 36th consecutive victory. The defending 2-time 1A NCHSAA State Champion Granite Bears moved to 6-0 on the season.

Congratulations and thank you to everyone who contributed over the years.

Shelby and Reidsville. Now, that is big time football company. The 3 winningest teams all started playing in 1915. However, Mt. Airy didn't field a team again until 1922 missing 6 seasons. We are honored to be mentioned with these 2 great programs. Here is an interesting fact: For 22 seasons from 1929-1951 with the exception of 1936 and 1933 either @reidsvillefootball or @granitebears1 football represented the west in the NCHSAA State Championship game. In those 20 seasons playing for the State Championship, Reidsville won 9 State Championship and claimed the runner-up spot 4 times. Mt. Airy won 5 during this span and claimed 2 runner-up spots. Both schools played in the same conference!!!

Famous Siamese twins Eng and Chang Bunker played for them in the 1800’s. They ran the neckbone offense.
Deacsnrams, I understand you are making a joke. Many a joke said in jest, has the intent to be hurtful.

Not only are you dissing MA, but all the precious conjoined twins that couldn't help their plight. Off handed remarks are very hurtful especially when you use people with disabilities.

Douglass, I respect your post. I only had to read it once to understand what you were trying to say.

It was in no way a diss toward conjoined twins. It was a celebration of their achievements on the gridiron. That style offense has never been replicated. They had 500 yards of offense in Mount Airy’s big win over Beulah Baptist Church’s Sunday school class back in the day.

• Angry
Reactions: TD-FridayNight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT