ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Airy joins elite company with 800th win

DaddyDoug

Nov 29, 2008
Dublin, VA
twitter.com
Last night with their hard fought 17-14 win over previously undefeated and not scored on Starmount, the Mount Airy Granite Bears picked up their 800th career win and their 36th consecutive victory. The defending 2-time 1A NCHSAA State Champion Granite Bears moved to 6-0 on the season.

Congratulations and thank you to everyone who contributed over the years.

Shelby and Reidsville. Now, that is big time football company. The 3 winningest teams all started playing in 1915. However, Mt. Airy didn't field a team again until 1922 missing 6 seasons. We are honored to be mentioned with these 2 great programs. Here is an interesting fact: For 22 seasons from 1929-1951 with the exception of 1936 and 1933 either @reidsvillefootball or @granitebears1 football represented the west in the NCHSAA State Championship game. In those 20 seasons playing for the State Championship, Reidsville won 9 State Championship and claimed the runner-up spot 4 times. Mt. Airy won 5 during this span and claimed 2 runner-up spots. Both schools played in the same conference!!!

Famous Siamese twins Eng and Chang Bunker played for them in the 1800’s. They ran the neckbone offense.
Deacsnrams, I understand you are making a joke. Many a joke said in jest, has the intent to be hurtful.

Not only are you dissing MA, but all the precious conjoined twins that couldn't help their plight. Off handed remarks are very hurtful especially when you use people with disabilities.

Douglass, I respect your post. I only had to read it once to understand what you were trying to say.

It was in no way a diss toward conjoined twins. It was a celebration of their achievements on the gridiron. That style offense has never been replicated. They had 500 yards of offense in Mount Airy’s big win over Beulah Baptist Church’s Sunday school class back in the day.

• Angry
Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Shelby and Reidsville. Now, that is big time football company. The 3 winningest teams all started playing in 1915. However, Mt. Airy didn't field a team again until 1922 missing 6 seasons. We are honored to be mentioned with these 2 great programs. Here is an interesting fact: For 22 seasons from 1929-1951 with the exception of 1936 and 1933 either @reidsvillefootball or @granitebears1 football represented the west in the NCHSAA State Championship game. In those 20 seasons playing for the State Championship, Reidsville won 9 State Championship and claimed the runner-up spot 4 times. Mt. Airy won 5 during this span and claimed 2 runner-up spots. Both schools played in the same conference!!!
So the reason for getting 800 wins is longevity. Most schools are not old and have not played nearly as many games. It is a great feat, but others have not had enough games played to reach this milestone. I think it is a milestone that is relative to the years of a school playing football.

Douglass, I respect your post. I only had to read it once to understand what you were trying to say.

It was in no way a diss toward conjoined twins. It was a celebration of their achievements on the gridiron. That style offense has never been replicated. They had 500 yards of offense in Mount Airy’s big win over Beulah Baptist Church’s Sunday school class back in the day.

So the reason for getting 800 wins is longevity. Most schools are not old and have not played nearly as many games. It is a great feat, but others have not had enough games played to reach this milestone. I think it is a milestone that is relative to the years of a school playing football.
You could also so say a program that's been around that long had that much more opportunity to have lost a bunch also.
MA over all win/loss record is very good.

If you are a Moron here is your answer.... MA IS 800-338-35 courtesy of "Daddy Doug Bear Historian" in their existence. Pretty good record no matter how long you been playing. If MA would loose 461 straight games they would still have a winning record. That's a winning percentage of 70% and to do that over 100 years is pretty damn good!!!

Last edited:
I am not a moron. I just stated that they had more opportunities for wins. I also said it was a great feat. Please refrain from throwing insults when someone has an opinion. Many schools in NC have a great winning percentage, they just have not played as long as mount airy.

I am not a moron. I just stated that they had more opportunities for wins. I also said it was a great feat. Please refrain from throwing insults when someone has an opinion. Many schools in NC have a great winning percentage, they just have not played as long as mount airy.
Why do you assume I was speaking to you?? I said if you are a Moron then here..... MA also had more opportunity to lose in all those years!

Mount Airy Football 800-338 0.703%

Dean Smith 879-254 0.776%
Coach K 1202-368 0.766%

HOF Coaches or soon to be
Bobby Bowden 377-129 0.743%
Nick Saban 292-71 0.804%
Joe Paterno 409-136 0.749%

Top 5 college programs by W% via Wiki
Ohio State football 966-333 0.734%
Alabama football 968-337 0.734%
Michigan football 1006-354 0.734%
Notre Dame 950-338 0.730%
Oklahoma 947-341 0.726%

You are trying to belittle an accomplishment and at same time trying to come off like you are not doing so.

That's a nice house you got there, but I have seen better. I would have expected more considering how long you have been working.

That's a nice fish you caught there, but my kid went fishing for the first time yesterday and got one. I bet when he has fished as much as you, he'll catch one just as good or better than that.

You are entitled to your opinion regardless of the offense. People are entitled to their thoughts on your opinion and you as a result, again regardless of offense.

It a nice accomplishment and done so with a good win loss record regardless of number of games.

Reactions: buzzcoach
I will throw out an olive branch that you are correct about it being a product of program longevity, but it's a combination of longevity AND consistent winning. Same as Reidsville and Shelby. The longevity of the programs doesn't really diminish the win total considering the numbers in the case of any of the 3 schools. If they had a record of 800-1500, longevity would be the only factor in the win total.

Reactions: POWERATTACK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT