ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Airy at West Stokes vs North Stokes

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
Boy oh boy, do we have to play this game? North Stokes is again having a very difficult season, won one, only scored 89 points all season. The very best the Bears can hope for is that no one on either team gets hurt. Another thumping does not do anything good for Mt Airy, and to just keep piling on a group of guys that I am sure are good kids playing a team way over their head does do North Stokes any good.

What should Mt Airy coaches do? Maybe, just play the starters the first quarter or less, and give the 2nd and third guys more opportunity to get experience. Injuries can come at anytime, but experience for 2nd/3rd players is hard to come by but extremely important if and when they are called on to step in when the game is on the line.

And I understand, and agree, that you can not put 2nd/3rd players in the game and ask them not to give it their all.

I would be interested in what others might think.

Why play this game...because N Stokes kids and Coaches are working their tails off everyday and they love the game as much as we do!!! MA needs the live game reps to fine tune our Offense (especially the passing game) and our Defense. We should win this game by a ton, rest our starters and get valuable playing time for our backups. Lots of reasons to play this game.

Mount Airy will play their 3rd and 4th grade team tomorrow while giving North Stokes 45 points. They say the RB for the team is a real stud. May be the next Walter Payton or Barry Sanders.

Play as hard as you can with first string first half. If it is out of hand play the 2nd and 3rd string with jv the rest of the way. North Stokes girls softball probably felt the same few years ago.

And you all wonder why we burst your balls.
I was not suggesting not to play the game, if you will read the post. The question was how do we play the game?
How do we play the game to get the 2nd and 3rd team players experience but not just beat the ungodly stuffing out of North Stokes. No doubt a group of good guys whom also loves the game. But is there a way to play it so that North is not just disrespected, beat into the ground.

I am assuming that Mt Airy wins big? Yes and so does everybody else on this site. So please take the crap responses somewhere else. My question is all about seeing if somebody could suggest a game plan that not only helps both teams.

This could just as easily be Mitchell vs Rosman or Mitchell vs Elkin, etc.
And my balls are just fine.

I'm not worried one bit about JV or Varsity against North Stokes this week but what concerns me is the middle school dropping two games this season to starmount and chestnut Grove could we be headed for tough times in 3 to 4 years

Starmount's middle school group is really really good. It's the best they've had in a long time I would say. I don't ever get caught up in middle school success or failures. How many times have we heard this is the next great group from a middle school team only to see subpar football when those kids get to high school?

Next three games for the Bears are very important. First they must win and win big to keep their ranking, secondly they must get reps for the starters so as to keep them conditioned for playing and finally most of all they need to come out healthy. Play starters until the running clock. Its disrespectful to NS not to.

I'm not worried one bit about JV or Varsity against North Stokes this week but what concerns me is the middle school dropping two games this season to starmount and chestnut Grove could we be headed for tough times in 3 to
Starmount's middle school group is really really good. It's the best they've had in a long time I would say. I don't ever get caught up in middle school success or failures. How many times have we heard this is the next great group from a middle school team only to see subpar football when those kids get to high school?
MA varsity team dominated in middle school everyone figured if they’d stick together they would be really good and here they are very good still. When these same varsity kids were in middle school starmount middle they beat East surry, and well we all seen what happened this year to them against East surry at the high school level. Sometimes middle school can show the future and sometimes it just doesn’t pan out like everyone thought

Next three games for the Bears are very important. First they must win and win big to keep their ranking, secondly they must get reps for the starters so as to keep them conditioned for playing and finally most of all they need to come out healthy. Play starters until the running clock. Its disrespectful to NS not to.
I don't think winning big has anything to do with rpi rankings. I hope not bc would cause teams to run scores up bad.

Reactions: thekidd12
I will say this.....every year I go to this game I always admire and appreciate how hard the North Stokes kids play and always leave being proud of those kids on the Vikings team. These kids always show up and will be better for it in life.

With this RPI system, you want your out-of-conference opponents to do well and keep winning. I think that is why Starmount has been so high despite their record (20-5).

East Surry 7-0
Community School of Davidson 5-1
Forbush 2-4
Pine Lake Prep 6-0

North only had 14 players dressed when we played them a few weeks ago. That Garcia kid at RB played hard.

Reactions: buzzcoach
On the coaches poll or other poles it might make a difference but the state is going by rpu

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT