ADVERTISEMENT

MPC Week 6

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
Asheboro at Southwestern Randolph
Everyone else BYE

Aboro travels to Tabernacle, or so my family always called it, to face a 2-2 SWR team that lost to the Albemarle team Aboro whipped the first week of the season.

Personally I don't believe in comparing scores, but I do believe Aboro has the advantage in athleticism and that should help a great deal. SWR is kind of like South Davidson... they mean well but except on rare occasions they never seem to have the horses. Their wins are against North Moore and Mcmichael... I may actually go to this game if I can, otherwise I'll be keeping track of it however I can.

Everybody else gets a much needed week off to re-examine and retool themselves before conference starts... that will feature:

Oak Grove at Asheboro
North Davidson at Montgomery Central
Central Davidson at Ledford

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
@GSO-Triple5 my dad read our convo and he was wondering if your initials might be KM or LP based on your knowledge of Sumner, AJ, Southern Guilford and CK Siler. He played in the North South game with KM at Greenville in ECUs stadium and said KM was better than the qb from Raleigh Broughton or Charlotte that year, he can't remember. And he says LP was the best athlete he ever played against from SG, he apologizes for the flip in the end zone on the last drive in 1970. He was worried about LP after the game and hoped he didn't "get his bell rung" too bad... aka lingo for concussions back then.

Either way he appreciated the kind words and nostalgic memories. AJ and Sumner were big rivals but respected each other and if AJ had to consolidate he's glad it was Southern Guilford, even though his house in the late 60s and early 70s is part of SWG now...

JC, his youngest brother, went to SG after consolidation even though technically my grandparents had a new house at that point just across the county line on Tom Ball Rd with a Randleman address... my uncle wanted to play for CK Siler instead of Charlie Gregory at the time. This was just before Randleman became dominant in the early 80s so Coach Gregory didn't have that cache yet... many of my cousins went to Randleman, Southern and Northern Guilford. Personally i always wondered what it would have been like growing up in Guilford County, High Point, Archdale Trinity or Randolph County with my last name lol.

Thanks for the history walk-through, I truly appreciate your knowledge Mr. GSO sir

Last edited:
Reactions: GSO-Triple5
Parts of your previous essay made me smile, Mister Black Knight, but one of the main things I recall about Allen Jay, or AJ as you endearingly refer to them, was the gymnasium made of rocks. At one end of the gym sat a wood stove, and seems like it sat on a stage, or at least a raised platform. I remember this distinctly , Sir, mainly because it was so chilly one could store goat soup, half frozen Guilford County collards, or perhaps one could store corn if they desired it with a little bit of " frost " sprinkled here and yon. Is this gymnasium still standing , since its been decades since driving by Allen Jay. Southern Guilford had a pretty good baseball program, too, Mister Black Knight and other Southern Guilford standouts were D. Shore, R. Brown, and B. Burton. Mister Burton plied his trade on the diamond for Southern Guilford and also for the Greensboro Burtner American Legion team. I always figured he could hit one to Jupiter if he put his mind to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
P.S. Do you think KM could actually type ?
A few of Southern Guilford's players, and some from Southeast, too, played for Burtner. Grimsley's players also played for Burtner, while Greensboro Cone got Page, Northeast, and Northwest.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Parts of your previous essay made me smile, Mister Black Knight, but one of the main things I recall about Allen Jay, or AJ as you endearingly refer to them, was the gymnasium made of rocks. At one end of the gym sat a wood stove, and seems like it sat on a stage, or at least a raised platform. I remember this distinctly , Sir, mainly because it was so chilly one could store goat soup, half frozen Guilford County collards, or perhaps one could store corn if they desired it with a little bit of " frost " sprinkled here and yon. Is this gymnasium still standing , since its been decades since driving by Allen Jay. KM was a helluva pitcher, too, Mister Black Knight and other Southern Guilford standouts were D. Shore, R. Brown, and B. Burton. Mister Burton plied his trade on the diamond for Southern Guilford and also for the Greensboro Burtner American Legion team. I always figured he could hit one to Jupiter if he put his mind to it.
Yes the Rock Gym is still there. I'm thinking about asking AJ Prep Academy if they need help next year, maybe I'll find my way to Southern eventually haha. Many thanks sir.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT