ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy vs East Wilkes Score

A lot of people seem to forget that MA has a lot of sophomores playing in key positions. That is by no means an excuse, but sometimes 15 years olds need to realize that you have to take ever opponent serious. They came out flat tonight. It happens.

Easy to forget. Goes back to what I've said before. We all love football, but it's amazing at how worked up some people get over a game played by teenagers that 99% of the time will not see another snap of football past high school.

All TD’s tonight were scored by sophomores I believe. #25 has stepped up in #8’s absence. That will help come playoff time. Also, still missing a lineman or two. But others have stepped up. Seniors and sophomores are leading MA this year. There are not many juniors. Great team win and some excellent defensive adjustments made at halftime.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
EW probably moved the ball better than anyone against MA..and definitely should've scored more points with all the redzone trips...Hats off to MA for staying focused.

First off I wanna say congrats to MA on the W, we all knew it was going to happen. EW very well should have been in the lead at half time. 3 red zone trips in the 1st half and come away with 2 field goals, hats off to Mt Airy Red zone d. The 2nd half, I feel like wilmoth went away from what ever type of game plan he had in the 1st half, which was working (minus stalling in the red zone) and started playing desperation football. Throwing all the time which resulted in all the INTs. I honestly think Wilmoth should have went for it right before the half instead of kicking the (missed) fg. That would have made the game 19-13 going into halftime with EW getting the ball to start the 3rd. But im sure he had reasoning behind his decisions. All in all a much better game than the score shows, however Mt Airy is a very good football team. Best of luck to both in the new few weeks, hopefully EW will get #3 back. I havent heard an update on him in a few weeks, anyone ??

I have waited to add my 2 cent but here it is. Take my hat off to EW. They came to play and play they did until MA's talented youth stepped up and said "enough".
Adkins and his staff are absolutely outstanding. Not perfect but darn near enough for high school. I wish some of the D2 colleges did as good as Adkins and Company. I go to see Lenoir Rhyne almost each Saturday and the current staff could learn a lot from JK Adkins.
Unfortunately, last night also told me that my Mt Airy Bears will have to play perfect in the playoffs to get past the 3rd or 4th round. They can but they are not a lock to win the Championship. If they do not, IT WILL NOT BE ADKINS FAULT.
So the Adkins haters should really take a step back and clear their heads from that crap. It does not reflect bad on Adkins, only on the ones spewing it.
If #8 gets back and in condition to play, #32 continues to regain his dominance (EW learned quickly last not not to run his way), and the lineman get back, well may the best team in 1A land win!
And lastly, I hope East Surry makes us Surry Countians really proud of them again in the playoffs.

Great reading thread , a little trash talk ( all threads need this ) and some seriousness. The thing that people forget is the familiarity between these two coaching staffs. I think this game played out exactly how it was supposed to. Wilmoth knew how to coach against this coaching staff. I think he done a heck of a job in the first half. Next #8 is detrimental to the Ma offense , the power he brings to the backfield opens up the finesse that 5 brings. #8 catches the ball from back there to. Offense has been out of sync of sorts sense he got hurt. The injuries have got playing time for the rest of the team which deff helps for next year. Bears should have all the pieces back come playoff time. When all the pieces are on the table they are a Dirty bunch to deal with. They might not play in the ship but its gonna take alotta 1a football team to put them out

If east had their QB playing I think game would have been better....surprised they kept first half close without him.

I did not see a whole lot wrong with the East Wilkes QB as it was. The 3 interceptions were not on bad throws, just really outstanding MA defender efforts. Just as very early in the game MA QB let a pass go toward our #5 and was dead on target, I knew TD was there. EXCEPT for a fabulous knock away by the EW defender at exactly the right moment.

In the 1st half, I think several people on this thread have it completely correct, EW played lights out good. But MA's youth finally woke up (as they did in the red zone in first half) and then the talent just took over. EW should hold their head high despite the lost.

This is for Buzz "who thinks he's a coach" coach. First off, you have no idea what it's like to coach high school football, build a team, create and run an offense, maintain a great coaching staff, run a weight room, and most importantly teach and coach teenagers to become young men. JK Adkins has done and continues to do this everyday at Mt. Airy HS. Secondly, you're an armchair QB that constantly second guesses most decisions made on the sidelines on game nights...hindsight is always 20/20. You never make a comment with some actual game analysis, such as, the defense should pinch more or slant to the wide side or those stack backers are doing a great job against the run or the "D" took away the A gap all night with those two 1 techniques or that slant and go "sluggo" in the 4th qtr had been set up perfectly earlier in the 1st half ....but I know why because you don't know anything about the actual inner workings of football or what it's like to make a critical call on the goal line or making a critical in game adjustment and not waiting until halftime.
Third, you also stated that Coach Adkins "got outcoached" by the EW coach, but never said in what capacity. If you're going to make that statement at least try to back it up with some logical/factual details, but when there are no details to that fact, you just showed how dumb you are when posting. You seem to fall back on the "I can have my opinion" when replying back to the people on these forums, but that's just your way of not being factual during your blabbing, demeaning, and ignorant posts. When you bash a coach, you're bashing the team as well. Some opinions should be kept to yourself...in fact, all your opinions should be kept to yourself.
Coach Adkins has done and is doing a wonderful job at Mt. Airy and has forgotten more about football than you will ever know.
Go Bears!!

That's the same East quarterback that's been playing all year. Not sure what you're talking about know if you're talking about number three then you're right. He would have made a difference. Look to me like Mount airy made some adjustments at halftime. Plus that was a short field for those two drives.

I think most of the frustration comes from clock management. Atkins is winning the time of possession for sure. It seems to take him the whole play clock to get a play in. At least this year he is not wearing out the qb by bringing him to the sideline every play.

This is for Buzz "who thinks he's a coach" coach. First off, you have no idea what it's like to coach high school football, build a team, create and run an offense, maintain a great coaching staff, run a weight room, and most importantly teach and coach teenagers to become young men. JK Adkins has done and continues to do this everyday at Mt. Airy HS. Secondly, you're an armchair QB that constantly second guesses most decisions made on the sidelines on game nights...hindsight is always 20/20. You never make a comment with some actual game analysis, such as, the defense should pinch more or slant to the wide side or those stack backers are doing a great job against the run or the "D" took away the A gap all night with those two 1 techniques or that slant and go "sluggo" in the 4th qtr had been set up perfectly earlier in the 1st half ....but I know why because you don't know anything about the actual inner workings of football or what it's like to make a critical call on the goal line or making a critical in game adjustment and not waiting until halftime.
Third, you also stated that Coach Adkins "got outcoached" by the EW coach, but never said in what capacity. If you're going to make that statement at least try to back it up with some logical/factual details, but when there are no details to that fact, you just showed how dumb you are when posting. You seem to fall back on the "I can have my opinion" when replying back to the people on these forums, but that's just your way of not being factual during your blabbing, demeaning, and ignorant posts. When you bash a coach, you're bashing the team as well. Some opinions should be kept to yourself...in fact, all your opinions should be kept to yourself.
Coach Adkins has done and is doing a wonderful job at Mt. Airy and has forgotten more about football than you will ever know.
Go Bears!!
He got out coached in his play calling. EW ran down MA throat in 1st half. Wilmoth offense play calling was really good. Adkins takes too long to get play in and MA couldn't get in rythm. He has finally started signaling in calls 8 games into season as to he use to make QB come to him every play. Trust me ik football. Ik how to coach. It's just my freaking opinion and this is a message board like why are y'all all butt hurt over my opinion.

Yeah #3 is the RB that hasn't played since week #2. He would def be a starter somewhere on any team in the conference..not just EW..he is a burner for sure..pure athlete...you cant replace speed and the athleticism he has..it has to be replaced by committee..and while at times it works..there's no ultimate relpacement at EW at this time for his speed... Lost a lineman that was tough as well after week 1#50 ...was a beast...

Only 2 teams in 1A are still undefeated in the state,
Eastern Randolph 7-0, Last 2 games against Wheatmore @ Home & Randleman, away.
Mount Airy 8-0, Last 2 games against Elkin @ Home & Alleghany, away.
Both teams should end the season undefeated, ER 9-0 MA 10-0
ER must have had someone that couldn't play as some other schools had missed games and a few forfeits. Not sure how teams with less than 10 games will be affected and may not be.

Reactions: thekidd12
Only 2 teams in 1A are still undefeated in the state,
Eastern Randolph 7-0, Last 2 games against Wheatmore @ Home & Randleman, away.
Mount Airy 8-0, Last 2 games against Elkin @ Home & Alleghany, away.
Both teams should end the season undefeated, ER 9-0 MA 10-0
ER must have had someone that couldn't play as some other schools had missed games and a few forfeits. Not sure how teams with less than 10 games will be affected and may not be.
As far as I can tell not playing 10 games doesn't matter as far as the playoffs. Well it could as far as conference games it may effect how you finish in the conference but like in ER's case they should finish playing everyone in their conference. The rule just states a maximum of 10 games doesn't give a minimum.

As far as I can tell not playing 10 games doesn't matter as far as the playoffs. Well it could as far as conference games it may effect how you finish in the conference but like in ER's case they should finish playing everyone in their conference. The rule just states a maximum of 10 games doesn't give a minimum.
ER had to bang a non conference game with Walkertown early on. Walkertown got someone to replace ER on that Friday.
They will, barring a Covid situation, play all teams in conference next two weeks.
Rule does have maximum but no minimum.

Out of 8 games, only 2 teams have scored 2 TDs each, missing the extra points. East Wilkes got inside the 10-yard line 2 or three times only to get pushed back to try field goals from 20 to 30 yards and only made 2, 3 point field goals and 6 points in the game. 8 games, 2 scored 6 points missing extra points and East Wilkes gets 2 fields for 6 and a 3rd missed. Mount Airy's field goal stans pushed them back for losses each time inside their red zone and no TDs. On the good side for EW is they have 20 seniors returning next year. Bears score on every position but 1. Good luck to East Wilkes in their remaining games, They are a hard-playing team .

Last edited:
Reactions: REWhitley
I don't know about y'all..........but if I won 45-6 and got "out-coached", I'll take "getting out-coached" every single time

I don't know about y'all..........but if I won 45-6 and got "out-coached", I'll take "getting out-coached" every single time.
I said in 1st half and he did. Alot of talent will make alot of coaching staffs look good.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT