ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell @ Andrews

Old Mountaineer

Nov 4, 2018
Bakersville
Big test for Mitchell.
If the Mitchell I saw against McDowell shows up should be a good game if the one I saw against Allegheny shows it won't.
I realize that Allegheny is a better team than McDowell but their heads didn't seem to be in the game plus totally different offense I actually like a little more passing because the QB has a good arm and good receivers but though he threw a pretty 40 yard TD pass they're more effective in the short passes. And I believe I'd go back to under center when the long snap works in the shotgun things go well but it's just to inconsistent. They just need to stick with their strengths a strong running game with 4 or 5 good RB's plus one positive we found out last week the QB has some wheels and short passes eat clock and keep the other teams offense off the field.

Big test for Mitchell.
If the Mitchell I saw against McDowell shows up should be a good game if the one I saw against Allegheny shows it won't.
I realize that Allegheny is a better team than McDowell but their heads didn't seem to be in the game plus totally different offense I actually like a little more passing because the QB has a good arm and good receivers but though he threw a pretty 40 yard TD pass they're more effective in the short passes. And I believe I'd go back to under center when the long snap works in the shotgun things go well but it's just to inconsistent. They just need to stick with their strengths a strong running game with 4 or 5 good RB's plus one positive we found out last week the QB has some wheels and short passes eat clock and keep the other teams offense off the field.
Safe travels to all the Mountaineer team and fans 🙏🏼

Safe travels to all the Mountaineer team and fans 🙏🏼
I would like to see it but with my health problems it would be taking a chance it might go okay or something could happen and I'm 3 hours away from home at probably around 9:30 or 10pm .
It's not really the drive there but while I'm there I can have issues out of the blue.

I would like to see it but with my health problems it would be taking a chance it might go okay or something could happen and I'm 3 hours away from home at probably around 9:30 or 10pm .
It's not really the drive there but while I'm there I can have issues out of the blue.
Sorry to hear that. I wish I could tell you it was being streamed but it’s not and no radio coverage either. Also we have had a lot of issues with Verizon Wireless and last week I was only able to post 1 score then lost service which is ridiculous with Andrews setting down in a huge valley. We should have excellent service but years of complaints has accomplished no results. I will do my best to post scores and maybe that way you can keep up. Take care

My take for what it is worth, Andrews line will be better than Mitchell’s therefore Andrews wins. I think it is that simple.

As for last week, I think the change in the Mitchell offense was a good coaching adjustment from Mitchell. Alleghany was stacking the line with 5 linemen and had linebackers at 2 yards deep. Running lanes were hard to find, so they opened up the playbook. Now that may all be hogwash but that is how I saw it.

Go Mountaineers

Can't wait for this game. Great opportunity for both schools to see where they are at 4 games in. Andrews hasnt played any competition so far, so Mitchell will have the edge on that. Andrews has an opportunity to make a statement that they are still here and I hope that happens for them. Can't wait till Friday night. Good luck to Mitchell and safe travels over.

My take for what it is worth, Andrews line will be better than Mitchell’s therefore Andrews wins. I think it is that simple.

As for last week, I think the change in the Mitchell offense was a good coaching adjustment from Mitchell. Alleghany was stacking the line with 5 linemen and had linebackers at 2 yards deep. Running lanes were hard to find, so they opened up the playbook. Now that may all be hogwash but that is how I saw it.

Go Mountaineers
Well you maybe right and like I said I have no issues with throwing more but other than the one 40 yard pass the long stuff wasn't working. You can do the short passes and make it work like a running game by still eating clock or your guy may brake it for a big one like #11 did before the fumble. Another thing I don't understand if they're up in a box then that leaves a big hole behind the LB's which you see all the time but they never throw that pass it's short high completion rate pass and eventually they'll start backing off and you can run again. And I didn't get not playing #30 anymore than they did when they did run if you're going to run against a box put the big guy in ether to run or block as a fullback a lot of the second half he was on the sideline I can only assume because of the two fumbles but if that's was the reason sideling him puts more doubt in his head.
And you'd have to admit the snap on the shotgun is to unpredictable it killed a good drive.

Sorry to hear that. I wish I could tell you it was being streamed but it’s not and no radio coverage either. Also we have had a lot of issues with Verizon Wireless and last week I was only able to post 1 score then lost service which is ridiculous with Andrews setting down in a huge valley. We should have excellent service but years of complaints has accomplished no results. I will do my best to post scores and maybe that way you can keep up. Take care
I connected our local radio station WTOE and as of right now they're planning to go and broadcast it.
They said they'll connect me tomorrow to let me know for sure.

For the past two years, Andrews has been the underdog and Andrews won both. That being said, Andrews is once again the underdog in this one. Two well coached, very physical smash-mouth programs. Should be a goodun!
I would disagree with one thing. I think because Andrews won both of the last games including by 17 @ Mitchell last year plus Mitchell being a young team with so many new starters and the close game they had in the first and last week and it being @ Andrews that Mitchell is definitely the underdog in this one.

I really know how you feel, I can't sit on the bleachers that long for my back and I have bad knees and am not sure I could stand for 2 to 3 hours.

Big test for Mitchell.
Mitchell by 7 to 14 points ✅✔️☑️

Andrews has played one of the weakest schedules in all of 1a. I don't know how that will play out but it can't help. Should be a good game. I'm undecided

Reactions: Purple1995
For the past two years, Andrews has been the underdog and Andrews won both. That being said, Andrews is once again the underdog in this one. Two well coached, very physical smash-mouth programs. Should be a goodun!
On top of this the weak schedule is being thrown up again. And once again I say to each his own. Last year it worked out just fine. I like to look at it as fine tuning !! With only 20 players why in the world would we try to schedule any different. Mt Airy will win the Ship once again so everyone else is just playing for bragging rights

You’re right neither team are last year’s team. Also I remember well last year when Mitchell substituted late in the game and I was impressed with the aggressive play of their backup lineman so if that is this year’s starters it should be a tough physical game being that Andrews has most all of their starting linemen back. A lot of questions to be answered this Friday night for both teams.

Update the radio station just informed me that they just heard back from Andrews and the school told them that they don't allow broadcast at their games.
I can understand a technical reason but not allowing it I don't get.
It’s all about the Gate money. Our funding for all athletics basically come from the football program gate money. Having said that I don’t think letting WTOE broadcast will have little to no effect on that. I will post scores as they happen to this page, if and that’s a big if, I have any cell signal. It’s been pretty good today

It’s all about the Gate money. Our funding for all athletics basically come from the football program gate money. Having said that I don’t think letting WTOE broadcast will have little to no effect on that. I will post scores as they happen to this page, if and that’s a big if, I have any cell signal. It’s been pretty good today
I don’t understand that we packed the stands my sons senior year at Andrews and Wtoe was right behind me someone should be calling them tomorrow to talk em into this one not fair to some of our elderly that listen every week I know two in the rest home that live for it!

I don’t understand that we packed the stands my sons senior year at Andrews and Wtoe was right behind me someone should be calling them tomorrow to talk em into this one not fair to some of our elderly that listen every week I know two in the rest home that live for it!
By the way that was 2021 also not fair to the elderly Andrews faithful

I'll be there Friday, will post videos and scores as they happen on the FYN Facebook page. I'll try to keep it as current as possible for those that can't be there.

Last edited:
Well I messaged them on Facebook messenger yesterday and at that time they were planning to broadcast it. They messaged me @9:32 am that Mike called Andrews this morning and was waiting for a return call then they messaged me @ 1:40pm and stated.." we found out that they don’t allow broadcasts at Andrews. I’m so sorry"

I hope both teams play some great football. I’ll pick Mitchell only because they will have a chip on their shoulder which will rival Andrews’ chip for being picked the underdog.

Reactions: Purple1995
I agree. It's a bummer, but it's their choice. It's gotta be hard to fund their sports only having 200 kids,and being the "other" school in Cherokee County.
Thank you. You get it !! On top of that our County is not in good financial shape either. We have 3 High Schools in a County of 28,000. I totally understand people being upset especially for the elderly or people with disabilities, we have those also but it is what it is

Thank you. You get it !! On top of that our County is not in good financial shape either. We have 3 High Schools in a County of 28,000. I totally understand people being upset especially for the elderly or people with disabilities, we have those also but it is what it is
Hey man, I've got a soft spot in my heart for andrews. Every time I've been there, everyone was so nice and accommodating, great small town atmosphere. I'll always cheer for the wildcats.

Except this week.

Mitchell, while financially busted,has been blessed with success leading to gate sales, generous boosters, and a couple mines that need extra tax write-offs. We have an aging population of around 15000, and it has consistently been around 15000 since the 1900 census. No growth, steady, but our demographic has went from majority 18-45 to 45+, with a significant amount being 60+. It won't take long for Mitchell's numbers to be down with Robbinsville and Cherokee, and eventually, Andrews.

Hey man, I've got a soft spot in my heart for andrews. Every time I've been there, everyone was so nice and accommodating, great small town atmosphere. I'll always cheer for the wildcats.

Except this week.

Mitchell, while financially busted,has been blessed with success leading to gate sales, generous boosters, and a couple mines that need extra tax write-offs. We have an aging population of around 15000, and it has consistently been around 15000 since the 1900 census. No growth, steady, but our demographic has went from majority 18-45 to 45+, with a significant amount being 60+. It won't take long for Mitchell's numbers to be down with Robbinsville and Cherokee, and eventually, Andrews.
Our people are a lot alike. When I drove up last year had a great conversation before the game with one of the Deputy Sheriffs. Two of my children just graduated recently from Mars Hill and my daughter now lives in Burnsville so I go out often. We’re all just simple country people but our area is changing because of the influx of tourists and retirees moving in. Soon we will be the minority. I’m a diehard Andrews supporter but come playoff time I pull for all the mountain teams which sometimes that’s hard to do because of a few on here constantly beat their chest and gums. I’m 62 and I never thought I would see the Wildcats have a season like last year so that made this old man’s heart feel good and complete. Who knows what will be tomorrow night. It’s young men representing their schools and you never know what you will get but I live for Friday nights

Wonder if they could just radio broadcast back home 3 hours away—where it won’t really impact the gate—but not live stream on the internet.

But Andrews is far from greedy for doing what they need to do to get by.

Reactions: recycled2
Mitchell should drop Andrews next year because of this.
Well, they could. Ask yourself, who is it really hurting? This s a great series for players and coaches. It is difficult to find a good opponent that is competitive and fundamentally sound. For example Andrews probably got nothing from last week's game except for a W. It is great to have a game like this on your non conference schedule.

Copper Basin and Andrews would seem to be a natural fit to play each other. Similar size, not far away, part of same youth league. Copper Basin only has 9 games, and two are a home and home with that Christian school Andrews beat by 50 last week.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Copper Basin and Andrews would seem to be a natural fit to play each other. Similar size, not far away, part of same youth league. Copper Basin only has 9 games, and two are a home and home with that Christian school Andrews beat by 50 last week.
From my understanding Andrews tried to pick them up for the last 3 years and they won't do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT