ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell (1-0) @ Smoky Mountain (1-0)

Mitchell county mountie

Aug 27, 2015
Mitchell has yet another interesting non-conference game this week, visiting Smoky Mountain. The Mustangs are back after their best season in a long time, and a thorough beatdown of Madison in week 1, led by 1500 yard rusher Dustin Stephens. Mitchell racked up over 300 yards in their week 1 meeting with 3a Statesville, but despite going deep into Greyhounds territory 5 times, only managed 1 offensive score. The Mountaineers defense was stifling, holding the speed-laden Statesville to less than 200 yards on the night. Can Mitchell contain Smoky's ground attack in the same fashion? These two were once fierce conference rivals, dating way back to the Sylvia-Webster days, but haven't played since 1990.

I'm going to give the Mountaineers more credit this go around. If they can control the line and protect the ball, they'll win.

If they can't protect the ball, I would say Smoky is more likely to capitalize than Statesville was.

Definitely another fun matchup.

Smokey Mtn will tell us more about MItchell. The Mustangs have very good run game. Starting to think Statesville is not very good. As for the game should be dog fight Mountaineers by 3

Last edited:
Smokey Mtn will tell us more about MItchell. The Mustangs have very good run game. Starting to think Statesville is not very good. As for the game should be dog fight Mountaineers by 3
Agreed that Smokey Mtn. Will be a huge task for the young Mountaineers, but why, all of a sudden, Statesville isn’t any good? Could it be they lost to a small 1a school or something you seen? Sorry but this just seems like a pretty bad way of saying Statesville must be really bad to lose to a bad Mitchell team.

I still think Mitchell has a lot of improvements that are needed, But to discredit a win against a school 3 times your size that has been really good lately is a backhanded compliment. YES Statesville lost a lot from last season but so did Mitchell.

Maybe I am reading your statement wrong and if so, I apologize, But man while Mitchell hasn’t gotten a ring ( thanks to the SMC mostly), IMO Mitchell has been one of the best 1a programs for a while now. But it is a never ending job to get respect outside WNC.

GO Mountaineers

Agreed that Smokey Mtn. Will be a huge task for the young Mountaineers, but why, all of a sudden, Statesville isn’t any good? Could it be they lost to a small 1a school or something you seen? Sorry but this just seems like a pretty bad way of saying Statesville must be really bad to lose to a bad Mitchell team.

I still think Mitchell has a lot of improvements that are needed, But to discredit a win against a school 3 times your size that has been really good lately is a backhanded compliment. YES Statesville lost a lot from last season but so did Mitchell.

Maybe I am reading your statement wrong and if so, I apologize, But man while Mitchell hasn’t gotten a ring ( thanks to the SMC mostly), IMO Mitchell has been one of the best 1a programs for a while now. But it is a never ending job to get respect outside WNC.

GO Mountaineers
Mitchell earn lot respect Friday night. Any good 3A team should never lose to a 1A, especially team that lost as much as Mitchell.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Got give Travis some credit, mountaineers playing lot better schedule this year. Avery will be in shock when they play real team lol.
Again no disrespect to you. I am sure I took it wrong. Thanks for the comments. I ill be interesting to see if Mitchell and Statesville play again. Seemed like lots if bad blood during the game.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Player2020
Again no disrespect to you. I am sure I took it wrong. Thanks for the comments. I ill be interesting to see if Mitchell and Statesville play again. Seemed like lots if bad blood during the game.

Go Mountaineers
You are very good poster on here, you tell it way you see it.

Really think that win over Statesville was huge for mountaineers. It taught them how win a tough game, it will pay off later in the year.

I wish McDowell was playing Mitchell this year. Although Mitchell would be favorites I feel like it would be closer than last few years. No non conference games for the titans.

I’m calling it now...Mitchell will represent the 1AA from the west this year!!
Hey now let’s slow down there just a bit. Still a lot of growth needed from this team to think about that again. While it was a good win, we think, Friday night still a whole lot of season between now and then. Offense has to learn to score when they get in the red zone. Conference play will be tougher than years past with several capable teams.

Think we will get a better idea in the next few weeks with Smokey Mtn., Owen and Heritage on deck.

And yes I wish Mitchell was getting to play McDowell this year. If they give him time Brewer will turn that program around, I think.

GO Mountaineers

Fyi..Robbinsville scrimmaged Smoky 2 weeks ago and had very little trouble with them when the 1st strings of each team went against each other. Mitchell will do fine I think

Fyi..Robbinsville scrimmaged Smoky 2 weeks ago and had very little trouble with them when the 1st strings of each team went against each other. Mitchell will do fine I think

Robbinsville is probably the team to beat in 1A. Mitchell is very young but talented. This group of Sophomores whipped every team they played in middle school with the exception of East Yancey.

Mitchell earn lot respect Friday night. Any good 3A team should never lose to a 1A, especially team that lost as much as Mitchell.
Travis pitman and staff have built a program where kids buy in and play hard. We don’t really know how good we are but with Travis’s teams you’ve always got the hope of victory. Honestly the guys a top 5 coach in wnc

You should have been there, Statesville is very good, the weather played a big factor, were used to playing on flooded fields, that takes away speed our defense is unreal they are punishing, it was one game, we'll see what happens fri

Robbinsville is probably the team to beat in 1A. Mitchell is very young but talented. This group of Sophomores whipped every team they played in middle school with the exception of East Yancey.
The Junior and Sophomore class whipped East Yancey, trust me I was there 14-6 at East Yancey With our juniors, and something like 48 to 0 at mitchell with our sophomore group, that one was a beatdown Gabe Silver never beat a Mitchell team in middle school, but has never lost to Mitchell in high school should be interesting this year

The Junior and Sophomore class whipped East Yancey, trust me I was there 14-6 at East Yancey With our juniors, and something like 48 to 0 at mitchell with our sophomore group, that one was a beatdown Gabe Silver never beat a Mitchell team in middle school, but has never lost to Mitchell in high school should be interesting this year
My bad, I knew they whipped everyone but I guess that green fog has degraded my memory.

You keep talking about middle school, so what happen in jv? Mitchell has beat Heritage maybe 1 time in 10 years.

Mitchell has arguably had the better team a few times (last season for sure) but Heritage just has their number. It must be somewhat mental at this point

Mitchell has arguably had the better team a few times (last season for sure) but Heritage just has their number. It must be somewhat mental at this point
Come on man, Mitchell came to play and got beat. Were you at that game ,Heritage should have won by more. To many people like to compare scores . Heritage defense is what won their games, ask Mitchell they score 1 touchdown.

Come on man, Mitchell came to play and got beat. Were you at that game ,Heritage should have won by more. To many people like to compare scores . Heritage defense is what won their games, ask Mitchell they score 1 touchdown.

I was at the game and at most of the games since 2008 or so. Mitchell was more talented than Heritage last year. Heritage flamed out early in the playoffs because they didn't have enough speed and explosive playmakers on offense. Yes they had a very good defense but when Reidsville and others are waiting down the road it hasn't been enough (I have watched most of the Reidsville vs Heritage games too). Mitchell has not played their best ball against Heritage for one reason or another. I am a casual observer but most of my family are Heritage grads and my dad and cousins played there.

I was at the game and at most of the games since 2008 or so. Mitchell was more talented than Heritage last year. Heritage flamed out early in the playoffs because they didn't have enough speed and explosive playmakers on offense. Yes they had a very good defense but when Reidsville and others are waiting down the road it hasn't been enough (I have watched most of the Reidsville vs Heritage games too). Mitchell has not played their best ball against Heritage for one reason or another. I am a casual observer but most of my family are Heritage grads and my dad and cousins played there.
I dont agree with you, we held mitchell to their lowest total yards. As for Reidsville we have played them couple times and lost close games. My opinion 99 percent time in football best team wins, no luck in blocking and tackling.

You keep talking about middle school, so what happen in jv? Mitchell has beat Heritage maybe 1 time in 10 years.
Dude once again you can’t determine what happens on varsity by jv records. Joeys got our number. It’s in kids heads. But this group of kids freshman and sophomores are used to beating Yancey county. Theyve beat them in football and basketball so it’s fixing to be very competitive. As far as wins. I remember in the 80-90s when we owned y’all and Avery every year pretty much so in small communities these streaks ebb and flow. Besides if y’all hadn’t got joey and Randy’s kids we’d have crushed y’all for four years and won a couple state titles. Smart on y’all’s part to hire a Mitchell county guy.

Reactions: Purple1995
Dude once again you can’t determine what happens on varsity by jv records. Joeys got our number. It’s in kids heads. But this group of kids freshman and sophomores are used to beating Yancey county. Theyve beat them in football and basketball so it’s fixing to be very competitive. As far as wins. I remember in the 80-90s when we owned y’all and Avery every year pretty much so in small communities these streaks ebb and flow. Besides if y’all hadn’t got joey and Randy’s kids we’d have crushed y’all for four years and won a couple state titles. Smart on y’all’s part to hire a Mitchell county guy.
I agree that you can have tides turning based on what kids do in middle school. Get used to winning games and the mental part of the game isn’t as much of an issue in the next few years. But there is one poster on here talking like it’s juniors and sophomores playing juniors and sophomores this year. Our seniors are some studs on both sides of the ball especially defense and as good as our defense was last year I think I could be better this year. And a lot of that is the seniors. I think we will see a good game with most of the conference teams this year. Difference may come down to who has the most experienced guys back.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I agree that you can have tides turning based on what kids do in middle school. Get used to winning games and the mental part of the game isn’t as much of an issue in the next few years. But there is one poster on here talking like it’s juniors and sophomores playing juniors and sophomores this year. Our seniors are some studs on both sides of the ball especially defense and as good as our defense was last year I think I could be better this year. And a lot of that is the seniors. I think we will see a
You do know mitchell county has 1 middle school team and yancey has 2 teams lol?

You do know mitchell county has 1 middle school team and yancey has 2 teams lol?
Yes and that does make a difference but the point was that some of these younger mitchell players have saw some success against Yancey teams. Some of the Mitchell players over the past years had not. That was the only point being made. Does it carry over to highschool? That is yet to be determined.

Last edited:
Yeah but it’s a mental thing like cougar 97 said. We had a better team a couple of those years y’all beat us we just flat out laid a big ole egg

Last edited:
I dont keep talking middle school really couldn't give to craps about it deerhunter started the middle school talk

I think this year Heritage Mitchell game will remind a lot of people of 90s football a lot of last names we have all heard before these seniors played each other for a title in middle school in a close game until a couple of min left in game, we have great linebackers so does Heritage we have an inexperienced qb on Varsity so does Heritage these teams are close in talent it'll come down to coaching Heritage will be favorite though

I think this year Heritage Mitchell game will remind a lot of people of 90s football a lot of last names we have all heard before these seniors played each other for a title in middle school in a close game until a couple of min left in game, we have great linebackers so does Heritage we have an inexperienced qb on Varsity so does Heritage these teams are close in talent it'll come down to coaching Heritage will be favorite though
You better start worrying about that maroon team the winner gets shot at whc championship

Reactions: UNC91 and Mhsneer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT