ADVERTISEMENT

Mid State 3A round up

MidState3A

Jul 30, 2013
All but one team was in action last night, Northern Guilford will open up next week. Conference went 4-4 and it looks like once again the conference will be very top heavy with EA, NG and WA all very strong.

EA 56 Graham 14: Eagles pick up right where they left off on offense last year with John Lamot, arguably the most explosive player in the conference (along with CJ Freeman of course) leading the way with 180 yards on the ground and another 130 in the air. Big news for the Eagles is holding the dynamic duo of Jamie Newman and Daniel Graves to only 14 points after surrendering 49 a season ago. If the eagles defense is as improved as this score might indicate, EA could very well repeat as conference champs.

WA 51 Cummings 16: Sounds like the game was close early on with the Warriors asserting their dominance in the second half. Might be a trend all season as teams have to deal with bruiser Darius Pinnix in the backfield. Not gonna be fun for opposing defenses to try and wrap up that big playmaker. Add in Trey McCollum back for his third year directing the offense and the Warriors are in good shape this season.

Morehead 34 Western Guilford 0: Don't know many details but a goose egg on the board is always impressive, especially from a team that has struggled some in the past in Morehead. The Panthers seem to have some excitement about them this season and although I don't think they can knock down any of the big three, looks like Morehead might at least put a scare into them and battle Eastern Guilford for fourth place.

Eastern Guilford 36 Southern Guilford 29: Speaking of the Wildcats a good early win in the post Jarius Morehead campaign. Looks like Doug Robertson has EG headed in the right direction with a win over the storm. Tough test next week against SE Guilford might show some more, and depth is always a concern, but good to get the season started in the win column.

Williams 6 Southern Alamance 14: Looks like it might be a tough season for the Bulldogs, with a disappointing loss to Southern Alamance (who only won 1 game a season ago) to start the year. Sounds like the Bulldogs could not stop the run, which does not bode well with WA, NG, and EA all featuring dominant rushing games.

Rockingham County 26 Walkertown 29: Tough opening loss for Derick Minor's coaching debut as the Cougars dropped a close one to 1A Walkertown. Cougars led at the half but could not hold on. County rival Reidsville is up next for RC, which could get ugly.

McMichael 0 Reidsville 49: Not much to say, Reidsville is good and McMichael... is not. We will find out more about the Phoenix when they host East Davidson.

Northeast Guilford 7 Parkland 29: Not the debut new head coach Jason Lippard was hoping for as the Rams were handled thoroughly by Parkland, who while is a 4A school, won zero games last year. Doesn't get any easier for NE who plays strong 4A teams in High Point Central and Ragsdale in the coming weeks.

All but one team was in action last night, Northern Guilford will open up next week. Conference went 4-4 and it looks like once again the conference will be very top heavy with EA, NG and WA all very strong.

EA 56 Graham 14: Eagles pick up right where they left off on offense last year with John Lamot, arguably the most explosive player in the conference (along with CJ Freeman of course) leading the way with 180 yards on the ground and another 130 in the air. Big news for the Eagles is holding the dynamic duo of Jamie Newman and Daniel Graves to only 14 points after surrendering 49 a season ago. If the eagles defense is as improved as this score might indicate, EA could very well repeat as conference champs.

WA 51 Cummings 16: Sounds like the game was close early on with the Warriors asserting their dominance in the second half. Might be a trend all season as teams have to deal with bruiser Darius Pinnix in the backfield. Not gonna be fun for opposing defenses to try and wrap up that big playmaker. Add in Trey McCollum back for his third year directing the offense and the Warriors are in good shape this season.

Morehead 34 Western Guilford 0: Don't know many details but a goose egg on the board is always impressive, especially from a team that has struggled some in the past in Morehead. The Panthers seem to have some excitement about them this season and although I don't think they can knock down any of the big three, looks like Morehead might at least put a scare into them and battle Eastern Guilford for fourth place.

Eastern Guilford 36 Southern Guilford 29: Speaking of the Wildcats a good early win in the post Jarius Morehead campaign. Looks like Doug Robertson has EG headed in the right direction with a win over the storm. Tough test next week against SE Guilford might show some more, and depth is always a concern, but good to get the season started in the win column.

Williams 6 Southern Alamance 14: Looks like it might be a tough season for the Bulldogs, with a disappointing loss to Southern Alamance (who only won 1 game a season ago) to start the year. Sounds like the Bulldogs could not stop the run, which does not bode well with WA, NG, and EA all featuring dominant rushing games.

Rockingham County 26 Walkertown 29: Tough opening loss for Derick Minor's coaching debut as the Cougars dropped a close one to 1A Walkertown. Cougars led at the half but could not hold on. County rival Reidsville is up next for RC, which could get ugly.

McMichael 0 Reidsville 49: Not much to say, Reidsville is good and McMichael... is not. We will find out more about the Phoenix when they host East Davidson.

Northeast Guilford 7 Parkland 29: Not the debut new head coach Jason Lippard was hoping for as the Rams were handled thoroughly by Parkland, who while is a 4A school, won zero games last year. Doesn't get any easier for NE who plays strong 4A teams in High Point Central and Ragsdale in the coming weeks.

Add in the sophomore for Western that scored 4 touchdowns and set up a couple more with some nice punt returns and they are loaded with weapons all over the field

I've got to say I was a little shocked by that EG-SG score. The Storm must've lost a bit more than I thought they would. I wonder if EG can do the same thing to Southeast this Friday.

Add in the sophomore for Western that scored 4 touchdowns and set up a couple more with some nice punt returns and they are loaded with weapons all over the field
That soph must not have played on JV last night cause they got smacked.

Oh well, it sure was fun kicking WA's tail every year up till this year. Enjoy it while it lasts bud...you sure have it bad for NG. That makes me happy and trust me when I say this...it'll happen to Y'all again really soon! Just wait on it. LOL

What you think that losing to page was one of those cup cake games like most people start out with.....naw, iron sharpens iron in case you don't know....NG still got enough to get it done in conf play....that heart burn will return to WA...don't worry...enjoy...for now

Like I said. Northern better hit that recruiting trail hard or the next 3 years is going to be some long seasons for the Nighthawks! We handled Page pretty well in the jamboree. It certainly wasn't a 52-14 beatdown that's for sure lol!

WAFootballer, no worries bud...we built it and they will come. Just wait on it!

You said it best! They will come! They gonna have to come cause they aren't in your school district right now lol! You don't get it! That's y no one has any respect for your program and everyone will run it up every chance they get! I love it!!

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
No you're the one who doesn't get it moron...they come, they stay, they play and most importantly, they kick your team's tail every season. We're showing you some mercy this season idiot...be thankful and count your blessings cause I promise another butt whooping is coming soon! lol

Gee, thanks for the mercy! Cause we were shaking in our boots awaiting on you guys to come to Elon this year! Nice to know that yall will take it easy on us this year! Like I said if that 50 point drubbing we gave your JV team last year is any indication of things to come in the future, you better get back on that recruiting trail lol! Oh wait! Isn't that illegal in public schools? My bad I forgot, yall are Northern Guilford where rules and respect don't apply!!

you notice you're the only one still touting that recruiting excuse...maybe WA doesn't take transfers, but every other team in Guilford County or anywhere else sure does. Ask Page how they went from an 0-7 start last season to 2-0 now and being talked about like they might be a major contender.

you notice you're the only one still touting that recruiting excuse...maybe WA doesn't take transfers, but every other team in Guilford County or anywhere else sure does. Ask Page how they went from an 0-7 start last season to 2-0 now and being talked about like they might be a major contender.
Transfers are one thing, recruiting is totally something different!! Wouldn't expect u to understand that but whatever floats your boat dude!

WA I don't expect to convince you of anything bud...I just wish you would enjoy your team's new found success a little more and stop maligning NG's kids and coaches with a bunch of tired, worn out excuses that quite frankly could easily be acted upon if there was even a shred of truth to any of them. Fact is a 6 year old FB program that has 4 rings from the last 5 seasons. You don't get many fans and supporters outside of your programs with stats like that. What you get is a bunch of know-it-all, bandwagon jumping, conspiracy theory touting knuckle heads like you. The only difference between you and the rest of them is that after 6 years and nothing to speak of but an 8 qtr self-reported violation for allowing too many jv players to dress during a 49 point blowout at Williams, is that you are basically the only blow hard that is still singing that old song. Trust me bud, if the NCHSAA, the Refs, the AD's at the other schools, or anyone else could find anything on Roscoe, they would be lining up to hang him. The 8 qtr violation didn't happen under Roscoe's watch either. Love him or hate him, he really doesn't give a damn. Trust me. But you'll never find a more organized, detail-oriented and motivational coach. So how about we call a truce WA? You enjoy WA's success this season and ever how many more they have and NG will reload in hopes of kicking y'alls tail again sometime soon.

Transfers are one thing, recruiting is totally something different!! Wouldn't expect u to understand that but whatever floats your boat dude!

I don't ever recall Western Alamance ever having to forfeit a game due to a rules violation or for using an ineligible player. Do you know if this ever happened in Western's 50+ years of playing football?

I disagree with your assessment since I know a few members of the staff at Northern who know what happens over there as well. Unfortunately I will agree that what they do is legal as far as transfer rules apply. You are right there is nothing you can do about that so I have no argument about that. I also agree that it does go on other places as well, not just Northern, its just you guys are closer to home I guess. But I will defend myself in saying that I have never, nor would I involve a kid in this discussion. These kids are 17 years old and younger and aren't making these decisions. I'm sure you guys have some bad apples as well as some really good ones as well. I mean every program does including us. So yes a truce is fine. What I won't agree on is your assessment of Roscoe. Good coach? Obviously. Good man personally? No idea, I've never met him so who am I to judge. Respected? Not at all. I personally know several hs officials that despise the man and cringe everytime they draw the Nighthawks on Friday night. I do look forward to continuing the series and running up that score once in the next couple years. May not be this year but certainly in the two to follow. If you guys are even competitive after this season then we'll know the real truth. Even you got to admit that your JV team was pretty bad last year and from what I can tell from the roster you guys only had JV moved up. So you can see what I mean when I say reload cause the cupboard is bare?

To my knowledge it has never happened. And in the rare event that we have had a kid transfer in, they have not been allowed to participate even in practice till the paper work clears! And I can promise you any transfer we have had in the last 10 years has been far from an impact player.

Every high school team is going to have a cycle where the caliber of athletes drop. Its the nature of high school athletics. Our day is coming but so is yours and we have already had our time for running up the score so i expect you to do the same if and when you get the chance. No surprises there.

Every high school team is going to have a cycle where the caliber of athletes drop. Its the nature of high school athletics. Our day is coming but so is yours and we have already had our time for running up the score so i expect you to do the same if and when you get the chance. No surprises there.
Fair enough there, but not a matter of if but when. Like I said before, may not be this year as I think you guys are still pretty good, but the 2 years after that for sure. Unless these mystical "transfers" magically appear at Northern Guilford.

That could happen. They could get transfers in next year. Who knows. It won't be because a coach got then to come but because of their own choosing.

When people see opportunities at NG they tend to make moves so I know that would disappoint you greatly but don't get too happy.

Now you're asserting that NG coaches are transferring players in against their will?

With Western Alamance and Eastern Alamance as the logical 1st and 2nd place team in the conference, who gets 3rd place, Morehead or Northern Guilford?

Eastern could finish as high as third. In my mind, they are slightly behind Morehead and Northern Guilford.

Northern Guilford will not finish 1st or 2nd this year, barring some magical recruits that show up in the near future.

I got wa first right now. But wa or ea hasn't played anyone yet. We get to see what wa can do vs butler, although that game probably won't change my opinion on them being 1st. I want to see how ng does vs nw, I think it will be close.

Keep in mind it's not how you start but how you finish that can determine a playoff bid or not. Losing ooc games is for bragging rights. Conf games are what counts.

I personally don't know what to expect out of tonight's game with Butler. With that said whether we get blown out or pull out a miraculous victory we will be better after playing. Much more positive can come out of this game for us than staying in county and playing a bad Graham team that lost to Williams last week. I think we can keep it competitive for a while at least. I can promise you that we will play hard for 4 quarters and won't be intimidated. I mean what do we have to loose!!!

Reactions: et8fan
I personally don't know what to expect out of tonight's game with Butler. With that said whether we get blown out or pull out a miraculous victory we will be better after playing. Much more positive can come out of this game for us than staying in county and playing a bad Graham team that lost to Williams last week. I think we can keep it competitive for a while at least. I can promise you that we will play hard for 4 quarters and won't be intimidated. I mean what do we have to loose!!!

I like the new and improved positive attitude WAFootballer!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT