Pinecrest
@ Laney
Ashley @ Southern Wayne
Red Springs @ South Brunswick
Trask @ Topsail
Socastee @ West Brunswick
Whiteville
@ NB

Wow. I have felt that NH def wouldn't be nearly as good as last season but I didn't expect this.

Hoggard's road to a conference title looks easier with New Hanover's lost, but the Vikings appeared to struggle at times to move the ball against Holly Springs. Laney seems to be who they are … middle of the road conference team that can't compete with Hoggard and New Hanover. Ashley got a win, but port city, hotterhand and myself could beat Southern Wayne. South Brunswick lost to a more athletic Red Springs team. Coach Lewis has his work cut out for him again this year. Topsail got a win over a depleted Trask squad … odd situation of players transferring the week before the season opener. Coach Hickman starting his high school coaching career with a victory … Played Hoggard tough in the Jamboree, but a lot of work still remains for the Trojans. North Brunswick had a tough opener against Whiteville. Coach Davis will have the Scorpions headed in the right direction if the administration provides the help he needs.

Reactions: portcity FB
I think the most surprising loss was South Brunswick. Yes Red Springs usually has athletes but it won’t get any easier for the majority of the schedule. I didn’t see anyone giving Rose a chance against NH but I kept hearing about all the D1 athletes that were getting looks and the cats couldn’t stop Wallace in the jamboree so it seemed logical it could go in Rose’s favor. Hoggard done enough to win and face an underachieving Orange team and should get a W. Laney.... next is Ashley fighting eagles taking control of the game and planting the seed of hope until.....next is Topsail who will look good and bad depending on who they are playing, if they don’t start attempting to pass the ball will like last year go down the same out of control spiral of losses. I attended the Whiteville/NB game and let me say this, Whiteville could win the MEC. Speed at all positions and they look really well coached. Oh wait, I’m supposed to talk about the scorps....all I’ve got is they have a new coach. West Brunswick has good size and could be knocking on the conference door come end of the season. If they beat Whiteville this week, that would mean they have a really good defense or they can score a lot of points.

Rose scoring 49 did not surprise me, NH scoring 6 on a Rose team that hasn't been able to stop a middle school team does. Maybe Rose has figured some things out.
We will see with Ashley, SW is one of the weakest programs in the state. Hoggard offense will have to improve if they want to make some noise. Laney gets blown out again.

hotter, you are right about Whiteville. They were by far the most impressive team (in my opinion) at the Jamboree. The Wolfpack reminded me of their teams back in the 80's. A special coach and a special team could add up to big season for Whiteville

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT