ADVERTISEMENT

MaxPreps Preseason Top 100

Grimsley is the favorite to win it all in 4A. maxpreps has them ranked in the nation, they will blow out everyone in the playoffs.
Weddington not even ranked, they must have lost a step.

Grimsley is the favorite to win it all in 4A. maxpreps has them ranked in the nation, they will blow out everyone in the playoffs.
I was considering Butler, Chambers, or MC as the contenders.
Chambers has the best opportunity of the three.
MC has been close every season.
Butler is schedule to have a great run.

You're correct though.

You are way off the mark with this take! Grimsley will not be the favorite in 4A. The last two seasons were the best chances Grimsley had at winning a ring, especially last season with a senior heavy bunch. Yes, I know they have a top QB in the ‘26 class, Bryce returns at DE and a solid Rb but as a team Grimsley will not be as good as they were last season. Losing 20+ seniors, many 3 year starters and the two best skill players that coaching staff has had on the outside gone due to graduation. The secondary will be good but young and they brought in Ryan Deebo from Northwest but don’t be shocked if they start the year off 0-2 or 1-1.

Last edited:
I would bet that Weddington will be in the mix.
Weddington will be in the mix of course. Don’t pay attention to MaxPreps rankings outside of the top 10 with the Mater Dei’s of the world. Weddington will be better than Grimsley and isn’t ranked on there. Only question mark I have for Weddington is the offensive line. I know they had some guys in the wings but only bringing back 1 starter up front is tough. Outside of the line every other position, especially on defense is solid. If Weddington doesn’t repeat this season, they’re my pick to win the following season in whatever classification they fall in.

I was considering Butler, Chambers, or MC as the contenders.
Chambers has the best opportunity of the three.
MC has been close every season.
Butler is schedule to have a great run.

You're correct though.
Independence , Weddington, East Forsyth, Butler and Hough. Grimsley will still be talented also but Chambers I don’t see as a contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Grine
Independence , Weddington, East Forsyth, Butler and MC. Grimsley will still be talented also but Chambers I don’t see as a contender.
Are you making this claim in light of the staff or the Chamber players' departures?

Are you making this claim in light of the staff or the Chamber players' departures?
Both! Chambers was better last season than they will be this upcoming season and I didn’t consider them a true contender last season but said they would still be good. I know what chambers has and I know it’s still some talent on that team and coach will still do his part. I just don’t see them as title contender.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
To be quite honest, Rolesville has the best roster in 4A this year but doesn’t get as much hype as the Western teams in the state because there aren’t many posters from the Eastern side of the state on Preps in 4A. 19 starters back from a team that went 12-2 and beat Butler (despite all the miscues in that game). They have just as much, if not more D-1 talent on that team as anyone. It’s Championship or bust for them this year and we will find out early on if they’re for real as they should be the favorites to beat Grimsley heading into this years match up. I still would pick the West to take it all but if anyone in the East can win it this year it’ll be them.

This might be the first time I’ve ever thought this about Hough but they may actually be as talented offensively this year as they’ve been in a long time, possibly ever. Offense has always been their Achilles heel but bringing back Sutton at WR while also bringing in Evans and Wynn at WR as well. Tinnin coming from North Meck joining a good rb room and they will be really good upfront on the line. Only question mark for me is QB. I still think Royal has more upside than Trey but you can’t teach experience overnight.

Both! Chambers was better last season than they will be this upcoming season and I didn’t consider them a true contender last season but said they would still be good. I know what chambers has and I know it’s still some talent on that team and coach will still do his part. I just don’t see them as title contender.
Nonetheless, some people(fanbase or not) will disagree with us both simply because they think the comment is offensive to them and the program. Their behavior is so awful that they will simply just pick random thoughts from the content above and blow it up. In any case, I agree with you.

Reactions: New3ra
Nonetheless, some people(fanbase or not) will disagree with us both simply because they think the comment is offensive to them and the program. Their behavior is so awful that they will simply just pick random thoughts from the content above and blow it up. In any case, I agree with you.
I don’t pay it any mind! Im very confident in my picks and leave out the fandom/bias that most come on here with.

Reactions: 2Grine
You are way off the mark with this take! Grimsley will not be the favorite in 4A. The last two seasons were the best chances Grimsley had at winning a ring, especially last season with a senior heavy bunch. Yes, I know they have a top QB in the ‘26 class, Bryce returns at DE and a solid Rb but as a team Grimsley will not be as good as they were last season. Losing 20+ seniors, many 3 year starters and the two best skill players that coaching staff has had on the outside gone due to graduation. The secondary will be good but young and they brought in Ryan Deebo from Northwest but don’t be shocked if they start the year off 0-2 or 1-1.
Don't go messing up my voodoo jinx reverse sandbagging technique. 😂 😜

Rolesville begins the season with Butler, then Grimsley. Should be a good litmus test all the way around.

Weddington will be in the mix of course. Don’t pay attention to MaxPreps rankings outside of the top 10 with the Mater Dei’s of the world. Weddington will be better than Grimsley and isn’t ranked on there. Only question mark I have for Weddington is the offensive line. I know they had some guys in the wings but only bringing back 1 starter up front is tough. Outside of the line every other position, especially on defense is solid. If Weddington doesn’t repeat this season, they’re my pick to win the following season in whatever classification they fall in.
Weddington was the best O line we saw last year, by far. I thought they played well together.

Weddington is loaded and will be very hard to beat. They are the favorite. As a poster mentioned above, Hough will be next level good offensively this year. This may be their best team in last 3 years.

Chambers will be down some. You cant lose that many players and a coaching staff and not have some bumps. Word on the street they have a few more guys looking to leave just trying to get paperwork in order.

Mallard Creek is non factor. NO disrespect. They are avg 4-5 losses yearly at this point. This is not the same MC team we were used to prior to 2020.

Rolesville, and Grimsley will be very tough to beat also.

The sleeper and my pick is Butler. Think we see a Steve Kerr type run of ships at Butler next few years. Excellent coaching staff over there. They will take a fresh look at the team. People under estimate how good of a coach Ferebee is. he is a coach that if he has great talent will take full advantage, and get the maximum out of them.

To be fair to Mallard Creek if you replace those non conference games with East Meck and Rocky River their record would look a lot different. They have plenty of talent and athletes to compete.

I heard that Ferebee has buttoned up some things at Butler so we will see how that turns out. I also heard that his staff has moved some kids that were playing out if position because of perceived “favoritism”. Curious to see how everything goes.

To be fair to Mallard Creek if you replace those non conference games with East Meck and Rocky River their record would look a lot different. They have plenty of talent and athletes to compete.

I heard that Ferebee has buttoned up some things at Butler so we will see how that turns out. I also heard that his staff has moved some kids that were playing out if position because of perceived “favoritism”. Curious to see how everything goes.
MC has athletes to compete not win it all. They are definitely a competitor but not a challenger to the ship.

Talked with a Butler coach and they are super excited about this season. Really thinks they will be on a different level. They have those first 4 games circled. Butler is my favorite. When you speak with someone and they are giddy but humble oh my. Look out for Butler.

Reactions: Champ_24 and New3ra
Weddington is loaded and will be very hard to beat. They are the favorite. As a poster mentioned above, Hough will be next level good offensively this year. This may be their best team in last 3 years.

Chambers will be down some. You cant lose that many players and a coaching staff and not have some bumps. Word on the street they have a few more guys looking to leave just trying to get paperwork in order.

Mallard Creek is non factor. NO disrespect. They are avg 4-5 losses yearly at this point. This is not the same MC team we were used to prior to 2020.

Rolesville, and Grimsley will be very tough to beat also.

The sleeper and my pick is Butler. Think we see a Steve Kerr type run of ships at Butler next few years. Excellent coaching staff over there. They will take a fresh look at the team. People under estimate how good of a coach Ferebee is. he is a coach that if he has great talent will take full advantage, and get the maximum out of them.
I have a hard time believing Weddington will be a Top 5 team, they lost QB Tyler Budge, WR Keenan Jackson, CB Samuel Neely and TE Brooks Maulk. Those guys will all be playing college football and they were difference makers.

Reactions: UNC811
I have a hard time believing Weddington will be a Top 5 team, they lost QB Tyler Budge, WR Keenan Jackson, CB Samuel Neely and TE Brooks Maulk. Those guys will all be playing college football and they were difference makers.
Weddington got some key additions. Four star DL Trajen Odom, Ohio State commit. Kelson Tate at WR just to name a few. The back up QB last season could’ve went elsewhere and started for other teams but stuck it out and will be solid. I don’t think Weddington is just the clear cut favorite to repeat like some think but will be very capable of beating anyone.

Last edited:
Weddington got some key additions. Four star DL Trajen Odom, Ohio State commit. Kelson Tate at WR just to name a few. The back up QB last season could’ve went elsewhere and started for other teams but stuck it out and will be solid. I don’t think Weddington is just the clear cut favorite to repeat like some think but will be very capable of beating anyone.
Weddington is loaded. They got in more transfers and the D-line is a monster. Weddington BUtler on 9/13 will be a all timer. Cant wait.

Independence
Weddington
East Forsyth
Mallard Creek
Butler
Grimsley
Rolesville

Okay, I have a hard time believing one of these 7 won't win the State this year. I'm probably missing some teams from the coast that might have a chance. Can anybody think of some more teams that have a good chance?

Independence
Weddington
East Forsyth
Mallard Creek
Butler
Grimsley
Rolesville

Okay, I have a hard time believing one of these 7 won't win the State this year. I'm probably missing some teams from the coast that might have a chance. Can anybody think of some more teams that have a good chance?

Cardinal Gibbons? I'm not all sure what they have back though

Independence
Weddington
East Forsyth
Mallard Creek
Butler
Grimsley
Rolesville

Take MC out and add Watauga and your list is spot on.

MC has athletes to compete not win it all. They are definitely a competitor but not a challenger to the ship.

Talked with a Butler coach and they are super excited about this season. Really thinks they will be on a different level. They have those first 4 games circled. Butler is my favorite. When you speak with someone and they are giddy but humble oh my. Look out for Butler.

They definitely have state championship talent. We're just not doing the National Inquire report like other programs. :DGiving out detailed information about every position group. Defense will be as sound as last year. On the offensive side, the fastest group of kids on the Southeast. If used properly, absolutely no one will be able to run with them, unless you have an entire track team in the secondary. Creek did good against Nationally ranked front 7' last year (BUFORD) I don't believe they'll see a team with that type of talent this year. Hopefully we will go tempo (No huddle) with the speed, not giving defenses an opportunity to adjust. If we can't get the offense rolling, we'll finish similar to last year. It will definitely not be because of lack of talent.

Beat Indy last year, held our own against Nationally ranked Buford. Almost had a running clock against Marvin Ridge (41-7) who beat Weddington the previous week. It's all about match ups, and I like our chances.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT