ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Mauney of Hunter Huss

shutdownD24

Sep 6, 2014
Congratulations to Marcus Mauney of Hunter Huss for accepting a full athletic scholarship to Yale University. Marcus Mauney had plenty of options to play at the next level but the opportunity to attend Yale and the opportunites for after football life were too good to pass up. Marcus Mauney is a gifted student academically and most people do not realize that Hunter Huss has some absolutely tremendous ACADEMICALLY gifted student athletes on their football team in particular their senior class. Most have academic achievements that mirror or exceed their athletic achievements. Congratulations to young Mr. Mauney, his family, and Hunter Huss football.

Congratulations to Marcus Mauney of Hunter Huss for accepting a full athletic scholarship to Yale University. Marcus Mauney had plenty of options to play at the next level but the opportunity to attend Yale and the opportunites for after football life were too good to pass up. Marcus Mauney is a gifted student academically and most people do not realize that Hunter Huss has some absolutely tremendous ACADEMICALLY gifted student athletes on their football team in particular their senior class. Most have academic achievements that mirror or exceed their athletic achievements. Congratulations to young Mr. Mauney, his family, and Hunter Huss football.
Wow! The name Marcus Mauney still gives Thomasville fans chills. I assume he’s named after his dad’s cousin from the Shelby teams of the late sixties. The Mauney family has wreaked havoc on North Carolina high school football for over fifty years. Congratulations to the young man.

Wow! The name Marcus Mauney still gives Thomasville fans chills. I assume he’s named after his dad’s cousin from the Shelby teams of the late sixties. The Mauney family has wreaked havoc on North Carolina high school football for over fifty years. Congratulations to the young man.
He went on to play for Bobby Bowden at West Virginia.Anyway congrats to the young man and good luck at Yale.

Last edited:
I don’t think that the Ivy League awards Athletic Scholarships of any kind. Full or partial.

However, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a full ride. It would just be based on academic merit.

I googled:

Yes, the Ivy League cannot offer athletic scholarships, but this does not mean that they can't provide financial aid. In fact, all of the Ivys have a blind admissions/financial aid process, which benefits the student athlete in question.

Reactions: shutdownD24
I have worked with some players that went to Ivy League schools. No athletic scholarships but sports can assist the player getting into the school.

One player was a two time FCS AA at Harvard and two seasons on NFL practice squads.

I do not remember the exact numbers but if a family makes less than $75k per year the student will attend Harvard at no cost and receive about $6k in incidental money. Also, can receive government grants. Once you get there you have to perform.

Good for him. If you are a good student with an idea of what you want to do as a career and not likely to play in the NFL - the Ivy League schools are the route to go if you can. Only about 5% of those that apply are accepted and that shows the value as much or more than the $75K a year tuition and fees.

Typo on the “athletic scholly” part but his package consist of academic and grants that cover the full cost. Ivy’s normally do this to assist with athletic recruiting of course. Mauney is also on track to graduate valedictorian of his class. I love the blend of great academics and great athletics.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I don’t think that the Ivy League awards Athletic Scholarships of any kind. Full or partial.

However, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a full ride. It would just be based on academic merit.

I googled:

Yes, the Ivy League cannot offer athletic scholarships, but this does not mean that they can't provide financial aid. In fact, all of the Ivys have a blind admissions/financial aid process, which benefits the student athlete in question.
Since we are being literal, you are partially correct. It’s not a completely blind admissions/financial aid process as you stated. Ivy League schools and some D3 schools for that matter put together financial aid packages that those coaches are able to use in the recruitment process for student athletes. The Ivy League schools have huge endowments which has been used to help all students in general but especially those from middle class and disadvantaged income families. The enhanced financial aid has definitely impacted athletic recruitment for the Ivy League by allowing them to compete for a higher quality athlete because the financial aid package being offered is better than say a full athletic scholarship to Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, etc.

Yale is big time! Congrats to the young man, setting himself up for success long after his football career is over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT