ADVERTISEMENT

Maiden vs Salsibury

I always try to be impartial and unbiased, but based on what I've seen from Salisbury, I'd be shocked if this game was close. Salisbury has been a tail of two teams, the team with a healthy Jaylon Walker (who's a 4-star committed to UGA), and the team that had an injured Walker for 2 games.

With Walker healthy, the Hornets have been unstoppable on defense, the two games that he missed, they lost very close to North Davidson and Oak Grove, obviously two of the best teams in 2A this year.

I feel that Maiden will have a hard time dealing with Walker and Salisbury's overall athleticism. I truly feel that this Hornet team is better than last year's state runner-up squad. I hope it's a good game, but I think Salisbury has the advantage.
I have no doubt that Salisbury has athletes. We have a few of our own. However, our winning or losing a game hasn't been dictated by whether that young man were playing or not. It's been next man up and do your job. We've pushed through any and all adversity we've faced this year. Injuries, turnovers, bad coaching decisions, bad penalties, you name it.

Last year's Salisbury team is better...so is ours. The two teams we couldn't beat last year we beat this year. Salisbury lost the same games.

Salisbury made a run through the East bracket last year, made it Shelby, and met the same fate we did. Had Salisbury been placed in the West I don't believe they would have had the same success.

As I've said before, I truly believe this game is Maiden vs East Lincoln 2.0 as far as our fans are concerned. We came out and smacked em in the mouth and it took them a quarter and a half to realize they were in a football game. After that it was a track meet.

This will be an amazing game. Both teams are in a great spot. I believe this game will come down to whoever adjusts the best at halftime. The winner of this game may very well represent the west.

Thank you Chris, your insight is always welcome in the West! Those Eastern Boys though...they sure don't like your polls!!

I would love it too if I were a fan of either team because hopefully, that means you'll be treated to a barnburner of a game!

Now let me be clear about one thing. Not for a minute am I saying that Maiden has no chance. I'm just being honest in assessing Salisbury and making sure that none of you come into this game clueless about them, and have a feeling that it'll be an easy win because that would set fans up for a huge letdown.

I absolutely think that Maiden can win. I know Coach Byrne well, I know for a fact that he'll have the team prepared.
Understood! Chris.

Reactions: Chris_Hughes
Thank you Chris, your insight is always welcome in the West! Those Eastern Boys though...they sure don't like your polls!!

Thanks, Grizz.... I'm more West than East having grown up in the Piedmont, but I've also coached in the East and routinely visit teams in the Far East, Far West, and everywhere between. Most people don't like the rankings because they live in a bubble, they only see their teams and often judge others from a biased perspective. I try to take a step back, look at things objectively, and take input from coaches and film.

Thanks, Grizz.... I'm more West than East having grown up in the Piedmont, but I've also coached in the East and routinely visit teams in the Far East, Far West, and everywhere between. Most people don't like the rankings because they live in a bubble, they only see their teams and often judge others from a biased perspective. I try to take a step back, look at things objectively, and take input from coaches and film.
🤔

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Like you...worried bout Kinston.....these Salisbury boys had me worried from the start!
We gotta Bow up! Goob!

I’ll be pulling hard for the Nor’easters as well! Let’s GO!!!

Reactions: daagoob
GrizzlyDevil, darn, you should take up politics. You got talent-I can spot it. I've just spent the last forty years around a bunch of them, and from both sides. I wish OC could see your reply to Chris (who makes a sound argument), but by the end of your post I was sitting here mumbling, "Yes, Yes, that's right, I agree". :)

Last edited:
GrizzlyDevil, darn, you should take up politics. You got talent-I can spot it. I've just spent the last forty years around a bunch of them, and from both sides. I wish OC could see your reply to Chris (who makes a sound argument), but by the end of you post I was sitting here mumbling, "Yes, Yes, that's right, I agree". :)
You’re spot on! Lincolnton!
Oh Grizz brings it! I’d vote for him!

Thank you Mr. Lincolnton, believe it or not I've been told that before, and while it interests me, I hate snakes (on both sides) and I prefer not get in bed with em! It would take some convincing to get me to do it.

...I just want to make sure the Blue Devils are well represented here. I've been to every game, know some of the kids and am close to one of the coaches. This is a great bunch we have this year and they have what it takes. It's the playoffs fellas! Time to double clutch and get triple busy!

You’re spot on! Lincolnton!
Oh Grizz brings it! I’d vote for him!
The first thing I'd do once voted in is re-establish "The Creek" section in the endzone, and I'd re-route all visitors by them from gate to seats. We'd call it the Splash Zone and Maiden Creek would be the mayor!

Then I'd remove the track and put the stands back up against the field and would install a tunnel under the stands like the old days. Let the smoke roll boys!!

The first thing I'd do once voted in is re-establish "The Creek" section in the endzone, and I'd re-route all visitors by them from gate to seats. We'd call it the Splash Zone and Maiden Creek would be the mayor!

Then I'd remove the track and put the stands back up against the field and would install a tunnel under the stands like the old days. Let the smoke roll boys!!
It couldn’t get any better than that!.....unless the “Nature Boy” himself came outta the tunnel with Boom Devils!😂
Can’t wait til Friday! Brother!

The Lord gives us certain abilities, you know, and see, you already have some ideas... Speaking of the fellers in the end zone, they never bothered me, but at the original stadium, going to the visitors side meant going by them; Then leaving, you had to go back by them. They would chirp a little bit, sometimes, but I wouldn't have wanted to push things with them. I think they just wanted visitors to know that this was their house and we (the visitors) were just that.
I was there at one game, it wasn't Lincolnton playing them, might have been Starmount, but I'm not sure. Something must have happened during the game that got them going; but they were really chirping. I sat on the visitors' side because there weren't any seats on the home side, then after the game I got my backside out of there pretty quick.
LOL, The splash zone.

Some epic games were played in the old stadium.
I talked to a man from Tabor City, NC. He had driven up to watch The Tabor City Red Devils play Maiden for the state title. I'm thinking that's around 200 miles or about 50 miles this side of Myrtle Beach. It was 1978, the game was played at the original Tom Brown Stadium.
This guy was staying in a hotel in Lincolnton and after the game he had come into the snack bar portion of a bowling alley that was behind this hotel. That's where I ran into him. I recall how disappointed he was. Seems like Tabor City was undefeated and may have been strongly favored to win and the Blue Devils had beaten them badly. He said the temperature at game time was below freezing and the Maiden Coach was walking the sidelines in shorts. He said he thought to himself, "who are these people". LOL.

I talked to a man from Tabor City, NC. He had driven up to watch The Tabor City Red Devils play Maiden for the state title. I'm thinking that's around 200 miles or about 50 miles this side of Myrtle Beach. It was 1978, the game was played at the original Tom Brown Stadium.
This guy was staying in a hotel in Lincolnton and after the game he had come into the snack bar portion of a bowling alley that was behind this hotel. That's where I ran into him. I recall how disappointed he was. Seems like Tabor City was undefeated and may have been strongly favored to win and the Blue Devils had beaten them badly. He said the temperature at game time was below freezing and the Maiden Coach was walking the sidelines in shorts. He said he thought to himself, "who are these people". LOL.
Only time I ever saw the Old Ball Coach in pants was at church.

The Lord gives us certain abilities, you know, and see, you already have some ideas... Speaking of the fellers in the end zone, they never bothered me, but at the original stadium, going to the visitors side meant going by them; Then leaving, you had to go back by them. They would chirp a little bit, sometimes, but I wouldn't have wanted to push things with them. I think they just wanted visitors to know that this was their house and we (the visitors) were just that.
I was there at one game, it wasn't Lincolnton playing them, might have been Starmount, but I'm not sure. Something must have happened during the game that got them going; but they were really chirping. I sat on the visitors' side because there weren't any seats on the home side, then after the game I got my backside out of there pretty quick.
LOL, The splash zone.
An incorrigible bunch who loved their role as the 12th Man! Ya had to beat us too!
Some Did...most didn’t!

Lincolnton did! Regularly!

He should’ve came to the Creek after the game. 😂😂😂 have mercy!

Betcha don’t remember ....that was the last game played before we switched sides. Yep, home side was changed to the other side. We had concrete bleachers on both sides starting in ‘79 and the tunnel under the stands began then!
Great Memories! Lincolnton! Thank you!

Last edited:
GrizzlyDevil, darn, you should take up politics. You got talent-I can spot it. I've just spent the last forty years around a bunch of them, and from both sides. I wish OC could see your reply to Chris (who makes a sound argument), but by the end of your post I was sitting here mumbling, "Yes, Yes, that's right, I agree". :)
As you know, Lincolnton, you and I both have been around a bunch of politicians....and a few public servants. It’s my experience that the public servants were of the nonpartisan types. The party hacks are the ones not to be trusted. They’ll lie and sell you a bill of goods because somebody told them to, because it’s good for the party. The nonpartisan public servants will tell you the truth...at least as they know it. They’ll explain it in a way that convinces you.

I think you’re on to something with your observations. Haven’t seen Maiden or Salisbury, but my Red Dogs have had plenty of experience with both. Won some, lost some. Joe Pinyun is still laughing about us handing them two conference championships. One for spiking the ball on the goal line on fourth down, and one for the three take a knees on the goal line to run them out of time outs. The OC that made that take a knee call is back with the program, so hopefully it’s not the gift that keeps on giving😊

As you know, Lincolnton, you and I both have been around a bunch of politicians....and a few public servants. It’s my experience that the public servants were of the nonpartisan types. The party hacks are the ones not to be trusted. They’ll lie and sell you a bill of goods because somebody told them to, because it’s good for the party. The nonpartisan public servants will tell you the truth...at least as they know it. They’ll explain it in a way that convinces you.

I think you’re on to something with your observations. Haven’t seen Maiden or Salisbury, but my Red Dogs have had plenty of experience with both. Won some, lost some. Joe Pinyun is still laughing about us handing them two conference championships. One for spiking the ball on the goal line on fourth down, and one for the three take a knees on the goal line to run them out of time outs. The OC that made that take a knee call is back with the program, so hopefully it’s not the gift that keeps on giving😊
OC, I had one boss that was far to the left and one far to the right. The rest were moderates but frankly, I liked them all. It takes a nerve (that I've never had) to run for office, I digress, though... I know the Bulldogs and the Hornets have been rivals for a long time. Just wondered if you'd seen Salisbury play, this year, or maybe the teams they lost to (North Davidson or Oak Grove). The Maiden guys would probably be interested in your assessment of them. I saw where Chris said the losses might have been the results of missing a key defensive player.

Last edited:
An incorrigible bunch who loved their role as the 12th Man! Ya had to beat us too!
Some Did...most didn’t!

Lincolnton did! Regularly!
MC, Most of my memories of leaving Maiden were bad ones cause we got beat. It was always exciting to go there.

You mentioned changing sides. When I said the man from Tabor City mentioned Coach Brown working the sidelines in shorts in freezing weather I had him pictured in my memory as being on what would be the visitor side and I didn't know why, but now I do. You solved the riddle for me.

MC, Most of my memories of leaving Maiden were bad ones cause we got beat. It was always exciting to go there.

You mentioned changing sides. When I said the man from Tabor City mentioned Coach Brown working the sidelines in shorts in freezing weather I had him pictured in my memory as being on what would be the visitor side and I didn't know why, but now I do. You solved the riddle for me.
Lincolnton stomped our arses in ‘78....at Maiden too!
I’m betting you knew that too!

I know when I lived over in Catawba Co I worked with a guy that played in the 1978 State Championship game. He would tell me all about Maiden football team. He had good stories about Tom Brown. I got to know a lot of good folks over in the area.

I was planning on going to Mt Pleasant Friday night, but if you guys have some smoke your gonna be passing around well I might change my mind and come to Maiden. Do that in Belmont and you’ll spend the night in the pokie.
Now that right there was funny!

The Eagles are overdue for a title. In 2018 they had Reidsville down by a couple of scores at the half but let them come back. I saw that game; even then, it looked like they had everything it took to win a title.
I saw Wallace-Rose Hill with Javonte Williams beat Reidsville in 2017, but Northeastern had given WRH all they wanted the week before. Every year that they go deep in the playoffs they gain more knowledge of their mistakes and what should have been done for them to win. Right now, they would be about the scariest opponent to meet up with, especially the title game.

OC, I had one boss that was far to the left and one far to the right. The rest were moderates but frankly, I liked them all. It takes a nerve (that I've never had) to run for office, I digress, though... I know the Bulldogs and the Hornets have been rivals for a long time. Just wondered if you'd seen Salisbury play, this year, or maybe the teams they lost to (North Davidson or Oak Grove). The Maiden guys would probably be interested in your assessment of them. I saw where Chris said the losses might have been the results of missing a key defensive player.
I’m afraid I have no scouting reports on anyone this year. First time since 1959 that I haven’t seen a single Thomasville game, nor anyone else. With the capacity limits, I felt that families of players needed to come first. By the time the limits increased, I’d seen too many photos of the maskless crowds in some places.
I’ll catch some games in the fall. It’s given me a lot of Friday nights with Mrs. OC to watch the mountain vista and take a few deep breaths. You may remember that I made her that promise in 2014. Just took me a while to keep my word.

I’m afraid I have no scouting reports on anyone this year. First time since 1959 that I haven’t seen a single Thomasville game, nor anyone else. With the capacity limits, I felt that families of players needed to come first. By the time the limits increased, I’d seen too many photos of the maskless crowds in some places.
I’ll catch some games in the fall. It’s given me a lot of Friday nights with Mrs. OC to watch the mountain vista and take a few deep breaths. You may remember that I made her that promise in 2014. Just took me a while to keep my word.
Said a lot...in a few! Tip of the hat!...to a Wise Ol’ Red Dog.

Reactions: Lincolnton
OC, you’re a good family man, but I know she knows that. For someone my age I’m not sure it’s safe to attend, yet. Several good games around here, I’d love to see, but I’d better opt for listening to them: Burns-Hibriten, Salisbury at Maiden (8 miles away). West Lincoln is at Mt. Pleasant, but that’s in the lower end of Cabarrus County, around 70 miles away, The Lincolnton radio station might carry it.
Several should be easy to pickup via the internet.

OC, you’re a good family man, but I know she knows that. For someone my age I’m not sure it’s safe to attend, yet. Several good games around here, I’d love to see, but I’d better opt for listening to them: Burns-Hibriten, Salisbury at Maiden (8 miles away). West Lincoln is at Mt. Pleasant, but that’s in the lower end of Cabarrus County, around 70 miles away, The Lincolnton radio station might carry it.
Several should be easy to pickup via the internet.
Because I spend a lot of my times in Ashe County and have some familiarity with Oak Grove, I’d like to catch that one online, or at least on the radio. I listen to “The Farm” up there and they may carry it. My father-in-law graduated many years ago from Fleetwood, an Ashe County High predecessor. We may listen together. Lots of good first round matchups, especially in 2A.
Won’t be long until we can ask Cheerduck to meet up. That place you took me in Lincolnton was pretty tasty.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
That restaurant is going full speed and a crowd is there daily. I’m still using the drive throughs.
I look forward to the day, too.

Because I spend a lot of my times in Ashe County and have some familiarity with Oak Grove, I’d like to catch that one online, or at least on the radio. I listen to “The Farm” up there and they may carry it. My father-in-law graduated many years ago from Fleetwood, an Ashe County High predecessor. We may listen together. Lots of good first round matchups, especially in 2A.
Won’t be long until we can ask Cheerduck to meet up. That place you took me in Lincolnton was pretty tasty.
Did someone say food?

Will it be live streamed anywhere?
South Fork Network....and it cost $20. My understanding is that it has greatly improved. Video and audio... possibly best around.
$20 is a little steep for a tightwad like myself.... but what the heck!.... I usually spend $20 on a ticket, couple of dogs, and some 50/50 tickets anyway! 😆
I hope this helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT