ADVERTISEMENT

Maiden vs Salsibury

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
If I have my picks of watching a game this Friday. This would be one of them. Unfortunately I want be able see any games. I think we will see Salsibury defense vs Maiden offense. Interesting to see how this game goes. Any thoughts or predictions.

Last edited:
If I have my picks of watching a game this Friday. This would be one of them. Unfortunately I want be able see any games. I think we will see Salsibury defense vs Maiden offense. Interesting to see how this game goes. Any thoughts or predictions.
I got a bunch of ‘em! But do me a favor please. Edit the spelling... it’s Salisbury.
They might get upset... and roll my Boom Devils!
I always prefer calling them Saws Brewery anyway...and it’s easier to spell. 😂😂

I’ve seen Salisbury play twice in my lifetime.... both were huge playoff games. They came to Newton Conover in a semifinal game...maybe 2008....and I was there at Wake Forest in ‘19 and watched them play Shelby in the championship.
The game at Newton might be the best game I ever saw!... definitely top 3! The game ended with Salisbury on Newton’s goal line...they were literally an inch from going to the state championship. There was a kid that played tackle for Salisbury that might have been the biggest football player that I’ve ever seen as well. Heartbreaking loss for him and the team!
They were huge and ran it right down your throat. One dimensional team at its finest!

Now....’19 vs Shelby. Salisbury looked like a championship caliber team as they came out on the field. Big stout young ‘uns!... had a bunch of them too. But....they were playing Shelby....ain’t much you could do. Shelby was incredibly good! It got ugly quick... but Salisbury never quit... I knew they wouldn’t.... those teams in their conference never do! Maiden has had WARS! against Thomasville...and Salisbury showed so much heart like them!
Salisbury was young if I recall correctly and lot of people thought ‘20 could be their year. Frankly, I’m surprised they lost two games. North Davidson and Oak Grove must be very good! I do believe that Salisbury is still one dimensional on offense with a power run game and have an impenetrable defense against the run! They couldn’t have change that much!

I’m more than concerned!...about this game! Maiden will definitely be the smaller team! I’m glad we played in the Fork... because we know what power running teams are all about...I just hope we can stop them!
We got speed!...boys!... and a QB that can slang it. They won’t have to worry about stopping our run.... we going deep! U can bank on that!

I actually think Maiden has a good chance at winning this game. I think it’s going to be a hard fought game. I believe the fans will get their money’s worth.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Last Salsibury poster I seen come on was way back when I had posted the Salsibury n Oak Grove game. Not sure there are any more.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
I don’t see them losing by 2 TD’s. From what I read about the Oak Grove game Salisbury’s defense dominated the first half until Georgia commit Jalon Walker got hurt. Up 7-0 and surrendered four first downs...2 via penalty at half. I do know these hornets don’t quit. Me, myself... I’ll pull for the CCC!

"I’ve seen Salisbury play twice in my lifetime.... both were huge playoff games. They came to Newton Conover in a semifinal game...maybe 2008....and I was there at Wake Forest in ‘19 and watched them play Shelby in the championship.
The game at Newton might be the best game I ever saw!... definitely top 3! The game ended with Salisbury on Newton’s goal line...they were literally an inch from going to the state championship. There was a kid that played tackle for Salisbury that might have been the biggest football player that I’ve ever seen as well. Heartbreaking loss for him and the team!
They were huge and ran it right down your throat. One dimensional team at its finest!... "
Excerpt of a post by Maiden Creek

I was at that Salisbury-Newton-Conover game, too... My friend, it was 2009; Salisbury's coach was Joe Pinyon, and you are correct, The Hornets ran right at you. I hardly remember them using the corners, talk about an eastern North Carolina offense, I have to admit, I do like that kind of football.
They had lost earlier in another close game to Thomasville, who under their Coach Brown ran a similar offense. Actually, Maiden's Coach Brown would have liked it. I thought Salisbury had scored on the final play but it was apparently short. I recall the big tackle laying face down on the field crying hard and hitting the ground with his fist. I felt sorry for him.
Newton-Conover, won the title the previous year, only losing a close non-conference game to Hibriten.

*A little bit of a post script: A long time ago, I went to dinner at a residence in Maiden, at a friend's invitation. She had a small son, maybe three years old. Coach Brown was one of the guests. After the meal, this little boy told him he wanted to play football. Coach Brown said "They'll knock your tooth out. Do you still want to play"? The little feller put his hand up to his mouth, thought for a second, and said "yes".
I heard it said, that, "if someone is from Cherryville, baseball is in their blood". That convinced me, then, if someone is from Maiden, football, is in their blood.

Good luck to the Blue Devils. I think they've got what it takes.

I know Salsibury of 2012 was special. I did see South Iredell play them at their home place in the semis of 2AA. South Iredell was down and had to make a comeback. South pulled it out 30-27. Salisbury had a chance to win it in the red zone but was unable to pull it off.
Also can’t forget Romar Morris of Salsibury back in 2010 when they went on to win the State Championship game. They were fast.

I know Salsibury of 2012 was special. I did see South Iredell play them at their home place in the semis of 2AA. South Iredell was down and had to make a comeback. South pulled it out 30-27. Salisbury had a chance to win it in the red zone but was unable to pull it off.
Also can’t forget Romar Morris of Salsibury back in 2010 when they went on to win the State Championship game. They were fast.
I remember both 2012 and 2010 fondly. I had a son that played on both those teams. I specifically remember the interception by Miller at the beginning of the second half that turned momentum South’s way for good. Great game!
Good luck to both teams!

"I’ve seen Salisbury play twice in my lifetime.... both were huge playoff games. They came to Newton Conover in a semifinal game...maybe 2008....and I was there at Wake Forest in ‘19 and watched them play Shelby in the championship.
They were huge and ran it right down your throat. One dimensional team at its finest!... "
Excerpt of a post by Maiden Creek

I was at that Salisbury-Newton-Conover game, too... My friend, it was 2009; Salisbury's coach was Joe Pinyon, and you are correct, The Hornets ran right at you. I hardly remember them using the corners, talk about an eastern North Carolina offense, I have to admit, I do like that kind of football.
They had lost earlier in another close game to Thomasville, who under their Coach Brown ran a similar offense. Actually, Maiden's Coach Brown would have liked it. I thought Salisbury had scored on the final play but it was apparently short. I recall the big tackle laying face down on the field crying hard and hitting the ground with his fist. I felt sorry for him.
Newton-Conover, won the title the previous year, only losing a close non-conference game to Hibriten.

*A little bit of a post script: A long time ago, I went to dinner at a residence in Maiden, at a friend's invitation. She had a small son, maybe three years old. Coach Brown was one of the guests. After the meal, this little boy told him he wanted to play football. Coach Brown said "They'll knock your tooth out. Do you still want to play"? The little feller put his hand up to his mouth, thought for a second, and said "yes".
I heard it said, that, "if someone is from Cherryville, baseball is in their blood". That convinced me, then, if someone is from Maiden, football, is in their blood.

Good luck to the Blue Devils. I think they've got what it takes.
That’s good stuff...Lincolnton....don’t know if you read my remark on another thread... but I wasn’t kidding about the milk carton and horse collar pasture ball at the elementary school every morning before school...that’s what we would do. You can’t make that stuff up! 😂
Since I’m watching the Masters... gotta share one about Coach Brown. Tom was an excellent golfer...on the very rare occasions he would hit a bad tee shot...he would look over at us and yell.... I COULD EAT THAT BALL!😂😂😂

After dabbling in some stats/scores/film I'll say this:

We both lost to Shelby last year in the playoffs. Since then our offense and defense have both improved from last year. We've gotten faster on offense and stronger on defense. I don't know about Salisbury, but from what I can gather, their offense returned most of their guys and their defense graduated a handful of seniors and are quite young. I think I heard that both their corners are freshmen?

Their conference and our conference seem to be similar. 3 teams at the top and it fizzles out from there. They were able to make it in because their conference had 3 qualifiers. I would treat them with the same amount of caution and respect as I would if we had 3 qualifiers and East Lincoln made it in. They would have been one hell of a 7-seed!

I would say they appear to be East Lincoln with different uniforms on, same/weaker Offense but a stronger Defense. They run hard and tackle harder. I would compare Salisbury stud OLB Walker to the middle linebacker that East Lincoln had. Can fly to the ball and won't be blocked. Whichever side of the field Walker is on, let's go the other way. And I would say that their RB is a clone of East's mighty mouse.

From what I can see it appears the Hornet offense starts off hot and fizzles out as the game goes. Whether that is the kids or the coaching I can't tell. Their RB runs real hard and if you don't wrap up he'll chew up yardage. Their defense is solid from start to finish and appears to be zone focused and corners play off the ball almost as deep as the safeties, similar to East and Newton.

Our offense starts slow and then gets better as the game goes, especially our rushing attack (I would chalk that up to our passing game wearing them down and backing them up all year). We're going to turn this into a track meet and make you outscore us, teams that rely on the run will be passing in the second half. Our two lowest scoring games (21 points in both) we had 4 turnovers in each (mix of fumbles and INTs), without those we score at least 3 more times. And more times than not our Coach will go for it on fourth down instead of punting it. We have all year and would guess we only convert about half. Our defense is stout, stronger than they look, young, can get winded from time to time and give up chunk plays, but has always made the stop when it matters.

It's the playoffs! Records out the window, you gotta show up and beat the man in front of you. Both of our teams are wide-eyed and young. This will be an exciting watch. If anyone from Salisbury has any questions, let me know. I'll be posting game updates as I have all year, maybe a tad more detailed than normal since it is the playoffs. See y'all on Friday!

What I heard is that they starting selling at the school this morning, leftover home seats will be sold at the gate. Already established number of guest tickets at the gate.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
That was back when it was Maiden and Mooresville at the top of the SD7...when Mooresville was 2A.
I think Mooresville went 2A in ‘87. But I’m not sure how long they stay 2A. Someone may have to correct me on that. I know Mooresville moved down 2A in the late ‘80s.

Reactions: Razzamatazz
I think Mooresville went 2A in ‘87. But I’m not sure how long they stay 2A. Someone may have to correct me on that. I know Mooresville moved down 2A in the late ‘80s.
The SD7 was: Maiden, Mooresville, Chase, Newton Conover, West Lincoln, Bandys, Cherryville, Bunker Hill, and maybe Bessemer.

That was in the early 90s. Was a fun conference even though we were the outlier.

After graduating from South Iredell I moved to Catawba Co for some 13 years or so. I lived not far from Bandys HS at that time. Which I live now in another county. That’s when I got in on those games. Seen some classic Bandys games back in the mid-late ‘90s. The SD7 was a fun conference to watch.

I know Mooresville was in the old Western Piedmont conference back in the 80s when they were with South Iredell, Statesville, Lincolnton, etc. They were 3A then. Mooresville moved to 2A when they joined in with the SD7. Then they moved back up in the 3A in the 90’s. When Corey Alexander was playing they were 3A. They did play Concord in the 1st rd of the playoffs of 97 when they had Corey Alexander. I don’t recall Mooresville being 1A unless it was before my time. I know Maiden moved to 1A for a period of time then they moved back up to 2A.

Last edited:
I thought Mooresville was 1a in the early 90s. I remember being no more than 7. Seeing Corey Alexander at Mooresville and Tyrone Westmoreland at South and Bobby at Statesville. Wow the 90s had great football players
We played Mooresville as part of the SD7 conference (2A) in ‘91 and ‘92. We left the SD7 before the start of the next season, but wound up playing them in the 2A playoffs in the fall of ‘95.

Ok I had to do a research. I can tell I’m rusty. Lol Looking at the NCHSAA where it show the start of every realignment.
Mooresville went 2A in 85/86. They moved back up to 3A in 97. Maiden went 1A in 97.
I knew somewhere in 90s mooresville went 3A but i couldnt tell you. Thanks! Those Maiden Games use to be a good one, I met the QB for Maiden in Semi Pro ball and I think he was from that 96, 97 time frame and he said those games were some of the best he was apart of and I think he said Maiden won

Ok I had to do a research. I can tell I’m rusty. Lol Looking at the NCHSAA where it show the start of every realignment.
Mooresville went 2A in 85/86. They moved back up to 3A in 97. Maiden went 1A in 97.
Maiden was still 1A when I started playing there. Then, we were in the Southern Foothills 1A conference, had Cherryville, Bessemer City, Hendersonville, Polk County, and Highland Tech. I believe HTech dropped out at the end of the conference and North Lincoln joined in once that school was built. We had to play 2A Newton, Lincolnton and Bandys non-conf.

My senior year we realigned back to 2A. That was the CVAC 2A/3A. Hickory, Saint, Foard, then the local 2As. That was the 2005 season. There was a three way tie for first between us, NC and Hickory. We beat NC, NC beat Hick, Hick beat us. Tom showed up for the drawing and talked them into giving him #2 if they wanted to draw for 1 and 3. Newton drew #1 and we had to go to Newton in the second round, proud to say we beat em twice in one year!

I always try to be impartial and unbiased, but based on what I've seen from Salisbury, I'd be shocked if this game was close. Salisbury has been a tail of two teams, the team with a healthy Jaylon Walker (who's a 4-star committed to UGA), and the team that had an injured Walker for 2 games.

With Walker healthy, the Hornets have been unstoppable on defense, the two games that he missed, they lost very close to North Davidson and Oak Grove, obviously two of the best teams in 2A this year.

I feel that Maiden will have a hard time dealing with Walker and Salisbury's overall athleticism. I truly feel that this Hornet team is better than last year's state runner-up squad. I hope it's a good game, but I think Salisbury has the advantage.

I always try to be impartial and unbiased, but based on what I've seen from Salisbury, I'd be shocked if this game was close. Salisbury has been a tail of two teams, the team with a healthy Jaylon Walker (who's a 4-star committed to UGA), and the team that had an injured Walker for 2 games.

With Walker healthy, the Hornets have been unstoppable on defense, the two games that he missed, they lost very close to North Davidson and Oak Grove, obviously two of the best teams in 2A this year.

I feel that Maiden will have a hard time dealing with Walker and Salisbury's overall athleticism. I truly feel that this Hornet team is better than last year's state runner-up squad. I hope it's a good game, but I think Salisbury has the advantage.
I’m loving this! Thank you! Mr. Hughes! I mean that! Sincerely!
I feel like my Boom Devils have been in the playoffs since week one! ...Every game has been a slugfest and our boys have hung on! I knew Salisbury couldn’t have fallen that far in one season. I’m super excited now! ....ain’t nothing In football I love more than pulling for an underdog....especially when it’s my Boom Devils! It’s ON!

I’m loving this! Thank you! Mr. Hughes! I mean that! Sincerely!
I feel like my Boom Devils have been in the playoffs since week one! ...Every game has been a slugfest and our boys have hung on! I knew Salisbury couldn’t have fallen that far in one season. I’m super excited now! ....ain’t nothing In football I love more than pulling for an underdog....especially when it’s my Boom Devils! It’s ON!

I would love it too if I were a fan of either team because hopefully, that means you'll be treated to a barnburner of a game!

Now let me be clear about one thing. Not for a minute am I saying that Maiden has no chance. I'm just being honest in assessing Salisbury and making sure that none of you come into this game clueless about them, and have a feeling that it'll be an easy win because that would set fans up for a huge letdown.

I absolutely think that Maiden can win. I know Coach Byrne well, I know for a fact that he'll have the team prepared.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT