ADVERTISEMENT

MA VS TARBORO ROUND 3

State Championship was definitely last week in Robbinsville..not near enough variability in Tarboros offense..I saw where they had completed 16 passes all year..pretty easy for the better western teams to defend that.

Reactions: Swain97
I think that is all I have to say, The BEARS said it all on the field . This BEAR Fan is going to get some sleep. Congratulations To those 1A State Champions !
tenor.gif

Game Stats Click below
What happened to Tarboro's 3, 1,000 yds players ?
You might be the dumbest person up here with no class. You make all of the fans look like garbage, even though I know they’re not because at the end of the day we’re all supporting our guys. Congratulations to Mt Airy man. Tarboro played great defensively in the first half, but when the defense is on the field the whole game, it gets tough. Mt Airy capitalized when they needed to and got the job done. Great season men, back to back champs is something to be proud of.

Congrats to Mount Airy! Great team.

As for Tarboro, defensively they are still state championship caliber - but offensively they have got to evolve some. I thought last year would be a wake up call but I guess not.

And again, congrats to Mount Airy!

Just got home and had time to think and reflect about the game. Yes Mt Airy won. Having said that, Tarboro is lights out good. The first half was just about as even as you could get. The Bears had a little more offense but Tarboro was able to convert to points a Mt Airy mistake.

The Bears, in the playoffs, have been able to make key adjustments in the 2nd half and they did again in this game. But take nothing away from a most excellent Tarboro team. They were a class act, players were gracious to each other the entire game. No cheap shots, nothing but hard nose effort on both teams part.

With what each team has coming back, I have no doubt we could see each other again next year.

Great ballgame to watch. The Granite Bears were as solid as a rock. Few mistakes that they were able to overcome. Reid was a big boost in second half. Glad they put the ball in his hands. Hard to believe any team could hold Tarboro to under a 100 yards of offense.

Y'all knew!!! MA by 14 .....well 18 pretty close. Tarboro very good D MA just the better team. Hold your heads up Tarboro y'all played great and get off that bench at end of game....not sure why the whole team went and sit on the bench. Seen few Tarboro players that MA players tried to help up but turned away and got up on own but good sportsmanship by both for the most part.. Tarb specials teams definitely better. MA just best in State 1A this year

Last edited:
Y'all knew!!! MA by 14 .....well 18 pretty close. Tarboro very good D MA just the better team. Hold your heads up Tarboro y'all played great and get of that bench at end of game....not sure why the whole team went and sit on the bench. Seen few Tarboro players that MA players tried to help up but turned away and got up on own but good sportsmanship by both for the most part.. Tarb specials teams definitely better. MA just best in State 1A this year
Congratulations

You might be the dumbest person up here with no class. You make all of the fans look like garbage, even though I know they’re not because at the end of the day we’re all supporting our guys. Congratulations to Mt Airy man. Tarboro played great defensively in the first half, but when the defense is on the field the whole game, it gets tough. Mt Airy capitalized when they needed to and got the job done. Great season men, back to back champs is something to be proud of.
Congratulations
Just got home and had time to think and reflect about the game. Yes Mt Airy won. Having said that, Tarboro is lights out good. The first half was just about as even as you could get. The Bears had a little more offense but Tarboro was able to convert to points a Mt Airy mistake.

The Bears, in the playoffs, have been able to make key adjustments in the 2nd half and they did again in this game. But take nothing away from a most excellent Tarboro team. They were a class act, players were gracious to each other the entire game. No cheap shots, nothing but hard nose effort on both teams part.

With what each team has coming back, I have no doubt we could see each other again next year.
Congratulations

I would not be surprised in the least bit if Tarboro and Mount Airy collide again next year. I just hope for Tarboro's sake the play calling is better. Not gonna beat Mount Airy running up the middle.
You are probably right about a repeat for the state 1A title in 2024. If other 1A teams are tired of this, it is up to them to get better and work harder. I just can't see any 1A teams coming out of the east other than Tarboro. But it sounds like the Vikes have some work to do on offense if they want to get another 1A title. Do they need to throw the ball more or add some more wrinkles to their running game? And as I stated in another thread, it would help the Vikings if they played some tougher non-conference games. I'd like to see them play N. Nash, Central Nash, S. Nash or even someone like a Greenville Rose. But those schools are probably hesitant for fear of losing to a 1A school.

As for Tarboro, defensively they are still state championship caliber - but offensively they have got to evolve some. I thought last year would be a wake up call but I guess not.

And again, congrats to Mount

And again, congrats to Mount Airy!

I have followed MA and Tarboro for years. I respect both programs and both a great football history and a number of State Titles. I predicted that MA might win because they had more Seniors. The most positive for Tarboro in this game. They have a kicker last year they didn't. Looking at Tarboro roster they have a ton of players returing next year. MA will lose some, but return some key players. I have a ? for Tarboro fans about the offense. They had 3 RB that rushed for over a thousand yards, but the QB didn't get much involved in the running game. To an extent that might have hurt Tarboro offense. I don't know who the QB will be next year, but this outsider believes the QB needs to get involved in the running game to give the defense more to think about. The 2017, 2018, 2019 Tarboro team did have a QB that was more involved. Any comments from Tarboro? And i hope Tarboro will find a good opponent for 2024 to fill their schedule. Congratulations, to both programs on a great season.

Reactions: Jmappfan5
I have followed MA and Tarboro for years. I respect both programs and both a great football history and a number of State Titles. I predicted that MA might win because they had more Seniors. The most positive for Tarboro in this game. They have a kicker last year they didn't. Looking at Tarboro roster they have a ton of players returing next year. MA will lose some, but return some key players. I have a ? for Tarboro fans about the offense. They had 3 RB that rushed for over a thousand yards, but the QB didn't get much involved in the running game. To an extent that might have hurt Tarboro offense. I don't know who the QB will be next year, but this outsider believes the QB needs to get involved in the running game to give the defense more to think about. The 2017, 2018, 2019 Tarboro team did have a QB that was more involved. Any comments from Tarboro? And i hope Tarboro will find a good opponent for 2024 to fill their schedule. Congratulations, to both programs on a great season.
We didn't run our quarterback as much this year as we have the previous two. I think the main reason why is because he's committed to East Carolina as a safety. They didn't want to risk him getting hurt. But I do agree we could have at least tried something with him at QB today. QB draw or something. Probably wouldn't have made a difference but would have at least tried it.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
The next two years are the years people around the program have been saying Tarboro will be back at the 17, 18, 19 “elite” level. However, that remains to be seen in my opinion. They have some work to do.

I understand what your saying totally. But I also see they beat Tarboro 20-7 last year and literally basically have that returning squad coming against Tarboro again. Personally, I could see this game being 3 or 4 score difference.
Hmmm. 18 points, 3 scores. Tarboro under 100 yards. Couldn't run up the middle on MA D. Just like I imagined. Hats off for heck of a game by both teams and Congrats to MA.

I have just watched the game "again" only this time from the sofa seat. LOL Completely different view than being at the game on the 45 yard line.
What I saw much differently this time was the amount or respect both teams players showed each other. Yes I saw it yesterday but the camera held on the completed play longer than ones eyes do when at the game. Most outstanding.

The interviews after the game: Mason saying while it was nice to get the MVP Award, he could careless, it was much more about his team winning. I though that statement said volumes about the way the team, each players, has the others back in the game and in practice. Huge.

What is coming back next year is a lot more than most people realize. Yes #11 Martin is back, yes 3rd Floyd is coming back. People still do not recognize #22 DJ Joyce as they will. His play at DE is seen, but what has not been fully recognized is how dangerous a running back he is. OMG just wait for it. And #12 may make some real believers in "what is in the water at Mt Airy?" So the next two years is good.

The real question to me is: what will be coming up as a freshman class. Our JV was undefeated and will bring some really good players and with another year of growth, maturity, and weight room, next year will be another good year for the Bears.

I do not know what this years 8th grade group is. I just do not know.

I have just watched the game "again" only this time from the sofa seat. LOL Completely different view than being at the game on the 45 yard line.
What I saw much differently this time was the amount or respect both teams players showed each other. Yes I saw it yesterday but the camera held on the completed play longer than ones eyes do when at the game. Most outstanding.

The interviews after the game: Mason saying while it was nice to get the MVP Award, he could careless, it was much more about his team winning. I though that statement said volumes about the way the team, each players, has the others back in the game and in practice. Huge.

What is coming back next year is a lot more than most people realize. Yes #11 Martin is back, yes 3rd Floyd is coming back. People still do not recognize #22 DJ Joyce as they will. His play at DE is seen, but what has not been fully recognized is how dangerous a running back he is. OMG just wait for it. And #12 may make some real believers in "what is in the water at Mt Airy?" So the next two years is good.

The real question to me is: what will be coming up as a freshman class. Our JV was undefeated and will bring some really good players and with another year of growth, maturity, and weight room, next year will be another good year for the Bears.

I do not know what this years 8th grade group is. I just do not know.
As always great post Whitley. Agree with next year’s perspective. There is a real possibility for two more championship years with this group. Realignment in 25 doesn’t add any unexpected wrinkles in the west. Adds a little parity for Tarboro and the east as Wallace Rose Hill is back at the table. Next years Bears team will have that dynamic the Tarboro fans are asking for , the bears will have a gunslinger at qb that can throw it and run it just the same. Excited to see 2 under center with another year of growth. Next year’s team is gonna be filthy in a whole different kinda way. A Joyce and Martin backfield is something special indeed. Gonna be interesting to see who assumes the role of general on the field with 15 leaving. He was special in his own way. Might not be as deep next year but make no mistake about it the Bears will still be the team to beat out west

One last comment about this game. I really want to thank Eastern Randolph, Murphy and Robbinsville for being tough, well coached, hard charging, and talented for helping get Mt Airy prepared for Tarboro.
There is no tongue in cheek in this. These teams were really very special in three distinctive ways. And that helped our team and coaches be prepared for a very talented Tarboro team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT