ADVERTISEMENT

LIVE UPDATES from Winston-Salem

So BM was at a disadvantage and left? Funny. What a class act.

So, Did BM asked to be moved down to lil 1a? If so, WOW. I don't think the state just made them move down. That doesn't sound right.

no they petitioned the State, paid their dues and here they are....no body can make you move.....IMO: dont think Bishop will contend like years past for awhile.....the JV team was not very good and with Atkins and Prep only going to get stronger with the open door policy in Forsyth Co, it s going to be tough on everyone else.....never know though the feeder schools for them may have some players......does Coach Robinson still run the WS Stealers AAU?

This post was edited on 3/8 5:42 PM by bareman

They applied to get into the NCHSAA and were put in 1A because of classification. I doubt you can ask to be in 1A or 2A or 3A. Teams go where they put you. I have not heard that he gave up running the AAU organization though I don't think he has coached it in a quite a while from what I had heard. His coaches are mostly coaches from other high schools in the area from what I gather. But even when he was heavily involved in it many of his players did not play for his organization but played elsewhere so not sure it matters that much. McGuinness top 9th graders play on the varsity every year including this year. I saw on a roster early this year that I think that NONE of the WS Prep players are seniors so I think they return everyone, so I am not sure it will matter who else has what. BK- I apologized for insulting you personally a while back. I take it back. I think you let those small roles in Deliverance when you were a kid and that Jodi Foster movie they filmed up there get to your head. However, I am impressed with the progress you have made with hooked on phonics.
This post was edited on 3/8 7:07 PM by Dosso

You're correct Dosso.

Coach Robinson is still involved with the Stealers program in the sense that he started it and runs the open clinics during the summer, but he does not actually coach the kids at any level of the program due to his involvement with USA Basketball. His role is more administrative these days. The game/tournament coaches are from all over the area (Bishop assistants included).

Bishop was hit hard by the downturn in the economy and you're just now starting to see the effects. Most of the families at Bishop are middle class, so when the economy went down, they opted to send their kids to their local public schools. As a result, the enrollment has been way down recently, which means less athletes.

With things bouncing back, the enrollment should start to rise again and you'll see more athletes for the major sports. You'll start to see it next year for the girls hoops team. They've got a couple of really strong players coming up from the feeders that will contribute immediately. They won't contend next year, but they won't take much of a step back either.

They have been hurt by charter schools too, ironically.
This post was edited on 3/8 7:09 PM by Dosso

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT