ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Talk All State

maddox#1

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2003
The 2015 all state team will be coming out soon....Who 's on , who is off...........

I want to start it off by saying one guy that needs to be on it for sure is Offensive Lineman Josh Worley from Lexington High school. He is a Junior and had an incredible year. His leverage and foot work are A+....
. He is a 6 ft. 4 in. 270 lb. Guard for the Jackets , top 5 person in his class with the grades , and an all round student. Made all Conference and All COUNTY........a Most deserving young man......

From the Shelby Golden Lions I would have QB Darquez Lee with 4600 yards and 61 tds,LB Dax Hollifield with over 200 tackles,WR Jayden Borders with 26 td catches,S Demonte Poole with 12 interceptions and C Jake Appling.

Jatvis Hutchins at East Rutherford has to make it at DB. 12 picks in 12 games. #1 in NC #2 in the Nation. 6'2" 175 lbs. can also come down hill quickly and lay some wood. Great athlete in arguably the toughest conference in the state.

Jatvis Hutchins at East Rutherford has to make it at DB. 12 picks in 12 games. #1 in NC #2 in the Nation. 6'2" 175 lbs. can also come down hill quickly and lay some wood. Great athlete in arguably the toughest conference in the state.
Shelby's Damonte Poole also had 12 picks.

12 picks in 15 games. .8 avg.
vs
12 picks in 12 games 1.0 avg

Hutchins wins.
Props to Shelby on state title

Don't know if you saw the list of ncpreps All State, overall, but Hutchins is one of the defensive backs. Congrats to the young man. I'm certain Poole of Shelby will join him on the 2A list whenever it's released. Both were outstanding this season, two of the best in the state.

https://ncpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1838521

Reactions: woody85
Don't know if you saw the list of ncpreps All State, overall, but Hutchins is one of the defensive backs. Congrats to the young man. I'm certain Poole of Shelby will join him on the 2A list whenever it's released. Both were outstanding this season, two of the best in the state.

https://ncpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1838521
Yeah saw that. Expect him to make Associated Press All State as well. Great kid and a big deal for the East Rutherford program. Thanks

Sorry there is not going to be an individual class all-state team any more.

That's a shame. They are clearly above anyone else in that classification. Doesn't matter if it's safety or nose guard. They're on a different level.

Reactions: Lion Attack
That's a shame. They are clearly above anyone else in that classification. Doesn't matter if it's safety or nose guard. They're on a different level.
Back to back to back champs, you ain't never lying, on another level for sure. Thanks for the love.

"If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin(relevant)."

Last edited:
Jayden Borders was #2 in the state behind Surrat in receiving yards by only 40 yards and was #1 in the state with 26 touchdowns but doesn't make the all-state team? smh. Someone who has 175 less yards and one less touchdown does?

Darquez dominated Chaz in passing yards and touchdowns and won a state championship...

Thought maybe only one from each team could make it but two from EL and two from Weddington?!?!

Could someone please explain?

Jayden Borders was #2 in the state behind Surrat in receiving yards by only 40 yards and was #1 in the state with 26 touchdowns but doesn't make the all-state team? smh. Someone who has 175 less yards and one less touchdown does?

Darquez dominated Chaz in passing yards and touchdowns and won a state championship...

Thought maybe only one from each team could make it but two from EL and two from Weddington?!?!

I personally think the two chosen are better players (yes I have seen them play). There is more to football then just stats . Injuries, schedule, team, scores a lot factors into an individual stats. Don't know how they pick the team but I'm just assuming they attempt to pick who they think is best at position regardless of stats could be wrong. It takes nothing away from two Shelby players just 1 team if there is a 2nd team I'm sure they both would get their due. If you just picked scoring and assists Harden is better than Lebron which we all know isn't true.

Past years there have been teams that had more than one player one the all class all state team. Mallard Creek, Scotland, Page, Butler, Crest, West Rowan, and may be Havelock.

Saw twelve of the players play this season and two last year. All solid. One is a great high school player but probably does not project well at the next level. I like seeing him picked for his performance and not college potential.

Based on teams I saw play this year I would say the biggest ommission is Thad Moss from Mallard Creek. Game changer on O and D. Big time player, big time potential.

Best two players I saw were Osbourne from Hough and Powell from Rose. Both sides of the ball and specialties.

Borders of Shelby is much better than the others. Better hands, better speed, and excellent field vision. His ability after the catch is second to none. For the rest of the selections they look very reasonable. I could make a case for lots of offensive linemen but all of those on this roster are going to do well in college.

Reactions: Lion Attack

This site has been pro E Lincoln and Surratt brothers all year IMO. Feel free to object.

This site has been pro E Lincoln and Surratt brothers all year IMO. Feel free to object.

Completely concur....what's interesting is Borders was the #1 selection at WR and was one of the highest "vote getters" for the All State team receiving 13 of 18 votes?

Still looking for that explanation but I think hitman nailed it.

As far as Lee vs Surratt, Surratt is so far better all around athletically it's a big margin. Forget the stats.

S. Surratt is a very good athlete especially when it comes to basketball. He was targeted an extreme amount by his brother so he should have stats. I have seen East Lincoln play many, many times and he was not even the best receiver last year or this year on his own team. Valentine was last year and Dollar this year. S. Surratt is a beast in a gym with major skills.

You also have to look at competition. The Surratt brothers had far easier competition to rack their stats up against. Meanwhile Lee, Borders, and Hollifield are doing it against the 3AA State Champions (Crest), the 3A State Runnerups (South Point), the 3A Western Finals runner up (Kings Mountain), Freedom, Reynolds, Carver, and Mount Pleasant. Yeah we had some cupcakes on the schedule as well but we were the #1 SOS in 2A while EL was #35 and lost to the only real team they played....and I don't think Surratt at QB would have helped much in that game. You think Surratt would have near the stats he did against Crest, South Point, etc...?

And.....how do you "forget the stats"? At QB, Lee was phenomenal this year with 60 tds that puts him 4th all time in the state of NC for a season. Borders had 26 TDs this year making him second all time for the state in a season. You can't forget the stats GDG.

Chazz Surratt - NCHSAA Male Athlete of the Year - Gatorade NC Player of the Year - Finalist for Parade's National Player of the Year - NC all-time record holder for career yards and TDs - several D1 scholarship offers - signed football scholarship to UNC

CJ Powell - top performers in the Shrine Bowl - D1 scholarship to Clemson

Sage Surratt - one of the receiving leaders this year - D1 football offers from UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, ECU

Being part of Rivals network it would be kind of bad not to select the best in NC in conjecture with some of their rankings. AP team left off one of the top OL in the country in Landon Dickerson of South Caldwell. He is from a rural part of Western foothills so not a lot of coverage. Dexter Lawrence got 16 out of 18 votes. He at one time was the #1 ranked HS player in the US.

This is my team, my opinion, everybody has one. Post your team and see who likes it or disagrees!

Did not know Landon Dickerson did not make the AP All State. Seeing him in person is the deal maker. Kid has major lineman skills and not only pancakes his man but then pummels the next kid in the way. For me he and Dexter are the best recruits in the state. Kids termed athlete are a dime a dozen. Big 300 lb linemen that move like running backs are rare.

Last edited:
Can someone list the stats for the QBs to include all passing numbers along with rushes and yards?

Btango: Here are Lee's stats (15 total games) he missed entire first round game in playoffs due to injury

Rushes: 52 for 147 yards lost however 195 for a net of -48 yards with 2 rushing touchdowns

Passing: 222 completions 390 attempts (57%) with 4562 yards passing and 60 touchdowns with 13 interceptions

Courtesy of the official stats provided by the Sherman brothers (Shelby statiticians)

Reactions: btango
With above being said:

Looking at the NCSHAA record book we should have broken two passing records this year

Total touchdowns passing for season with 69 previous record Independence with 58 in 2001
Passing yards average per game: 318.4 previous record Cummings with 298.5 back in 1990

The record book is often wrong and is in this case. Cox threw for 66 TDs in 2004. Leak threw for 64 either 2001 or 2002.

Also, Leak threw fur over 5,400 yards in 16 games or just over 330 yards.

Including privates Will Grier threw for 77. Do not think any public schoolers have more than Cox.

Reactions: ocdavis31
The record book is often wrong and is in this case. Cox threw for 66 TDs in 2004. Leak threw for 64 either 2001 or 2002.

Also, Leak threw fur over 5,400 yards in 16 games or just over 330 yards.

Including privates Will Grier threw for 77. Do not think any public schoolers have more than Cox.
Only NCHSAA numbers count. Davidson Day played basically a lot of weeny schools that would be the equivelent of a freshman team. If the records are not correct per the NCHSAA why would they not correct the list? I would assume it has been brought up to the organization.

Only NCHSAA numbers count. Davidson Day played basically a lot of weeny schools that would be the equivelent of a freshman team. If the records are not correct per the NCHSAA why would they not correct the list? I would assume it has been brought up to the organization.
It's been a source of frustration for Thomasville fans for many years that the NCHSAA records don't accurately reflect the stats of several Bulldog players and coaches. Apparently, it is a list that only includes stats as provided by the school. If a coach or AD doesn't report the stats to the association, they're not included.
As an example, Allen Brown has 331 victories. Coach Brown was for many years the head coach and AD. Believe me, Coach Brown is the last person to seek recognition with anyone, much less the state association. You won't find his numbers listed. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in their record book.

I noted that Grier threw for most I n state history overall because that is factual. I agree about the competition!! He threw five or six against Albemarle, which lost in the 1A west regional. He was also a very strong QB with great mechanics and a super high football IQ.

It is real simple, the records for individual touchdowns thrown and passing yards for Leak and Cox are more than the listed record for a team:. I know the season Leak threw 64, Cox threw some also including his first varsity pass.

I pointed out items such as I just listed above to the NCHSAA close to ten years ago but they did not have anyone to work on it. I think the NCHSAA requires the school to submit but will accept newspaper documentation. The list originated with Tim Stevens from the RN&O. He passed it to the NCHSAA.

In all fairness the national federation had the same type of issues. I contacted people in California and Texas to for confirmation on all time touchdowns and scoring during the TA McLendon years. They listed the TD scored leaders as mustn't all QBs because they were combining the rushing and padding TDs which is TD Responsibility. I was told the federation used volunteers for that list among other things.

Ron Cuccia was the Cali QB I spoke to directly Great conversation. A few quotes, "who cars how many TDs I scored, all I cared about is we were 13-0 all three seasons." "It surprises me people really care what 17 years old did 30 years ago." He was retired at 46 years old living in LA after selling his business. Graduated from Harvard.

Man, you ain't never lying. As far as Borders vs Sage Surratt goes, Borders is better, period. He's faster, he's has great hands, and is able to get separation from defenders better w/ his superior quickness.Don't get me wrong, Sage is good. Deanna bought up his D1 offers, heck, he was getting looks before he even recorded noteworthy stats, courtesy of his brother. Recruiters figured the fruit doesn't fall from the tree. Sage has size on Borders, but as far as the other intangibles, Borders has him beat.

No argument with me on the quarterbacks. Darquez Lee produced more passing yards, but Surratt threw 4000+ yards and supplied over a 1000 yards rushing, albeit versus weaker competition, no Crest, South Point, KM, ACR's as his opposition. He had superb stats, nonetheless.

Last edited:
If I had to pick s QB to drive my team 80 yards in two minutes with no time outs with equal talent and the same opponent it may be James Smith from Mallard Creek. Surratt would definitely be in the mix also.

Smith is not the best QB I have watched but he is the most clutch player I have seen. Three state titles and the last two years he had to make huge plays or drives to make it happen. Put up big numbers both years. West Point and Annapolis are both in the mix but not sure that is what he is looking for.

Chazz Surratt - NCHSAA Male Athlete of the Year - Gatorade NC Player of the Year - Finalist for Parade's National Player of the Year - NC all-time record holder for career yards and TDs - several D1 scholarship offers - signed football scholarship to UNC

CJ Powell - top performers in the Shrine Bowl - D1 scholarship to Clemson

Sage Surratt - one of the receiving leaders this year - D1 football offers from UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, ECU

Being part of Rivals network it would be kind of bad not to select the best in NC in conjecture with some of their rankings. AP team left off one of the top OL in the country in Landon Dickerson of South Caldwell. He is from a rural part of Western foothills so not a lot of coverage. Dexter Lawrence got 16 out of 18 votes. He at one time was the #1 ranked HS player in the US.

This is my team, my opinion, everybody has one. Post your team and see who likes it or disagrees!
I agree Deana. Well said. Great historical programs in Shelby, but people think the sun rises and sets in Shelby. It doesn't. Lots of great athletes in other places too. Good selections this year.

I agree Deana. Well said. Great historical programs in Shelby, but people think the sun rises and sets in Shelby. It doesn't. Lots of great athletes in other places too. Good selections this year.

It may not rise and set on Shelby but it certainly ask what time to come up. Shelby-back to back to back, Crest-back to back and 32-0. Willie Greene should toss his name into this all state QB selection. He has the only stat that matters...nobody beat him.;)

Reactions: '98 State Champion
It may not rise and set on Shelby but it certainly ask what time to come up. Shelby-back to back to back, Crest-back to back and 32-0. Willie Greene should toss his name into this all state QB selection. He has the only stat that matters...nobody beat him.;)
Exactly,when Shelby and Crest are better than everybody else that means we have better players than everybody else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT