ADVERTISEMENT

Ledford Christmas Classic

Are they still having this particular tournament? The reason I ask is.....

There is a tourney starting on the 27th in Asheboro sponsored by Sportstone. It follows the same format as the tournaments the past couple of years. Games all day from 10:00 til 8:30. The lineup is as follows.....

Randleman vs. Eastern Guilford

Trinity vs. West Brunswick

SW Randolph vs. NCLA (Kernersville)

Asheboro vs. Providence Grove

It's the same lineup for both girls/guys. Very interesting field. I know next to nothing about West Brunswick or NCLA.

No, I know because Davie is in the tournament this year for boys and girls.

The tournament has a few different teams:
Girls- Ledford, Davie, ED, WD, SD, Tville, Wheatmore, Bethany
Guys- Ledford, Davie, ED, WD, SD, Tville, Lexington. Not sure if there’s another team to make 8.

Are they still having this particular tournament? The reason I ask is.....

There is a tourney starting on the 27th in Asheboro sponsored by Sportstone. It follows the same format as the tournaments the past couple of years. Games all day from 10:00 til 8:30. The lineup is as follows.....

Randleman vs. Eastern Guilford

Trinity vs. West Brunswick

SW Randolph vs. NCLA (Kernersville)

Asheboro vs. Providence Grove

It's the same lineup for both girls/guys. Very interesting field. I know next to nothing about West Brunswick or NCLA.
West Brunswick is 1-7 and Eastern Guilford is 0-6. You think their records is why they were invited ?

West Brunswick is 1-7 and Eastern Guilford is 0-6. You think their records is why they were invited ?
I think it's more to do with both of those teams having Randolph County ties. EG is coached by former Asheboro legend Joe Spinks. West is coached by former Trinity player Aaron Taylor and their football coach, Shane Handy, used to coach at Randleman.

Reactions: thekidd12
West Brunswick is invited and interested because a former Trinity player/athlete (Kelly disciple) is the coach of the team.
I didn't know Taylor was down there till a couple of minutes ago. I still remember him transferring in from East Montgomery and playing for Kelly. I always thought he did a great job coaching the HP Central girls.

I think it's more to do with both of those teams having Randolph County ties. EG is coached by former Asheboro legend Joe Spinks. West is coached by former Trinity player Aaron sTaylor and their football coach, Shane Handy, used to coach at Randleman.
Would West Brunswick and Eastern Guilford been invited if they were both undefeated ?
P.S. If I'm not mistaken, Northwest Guilford won the first three Courier Tribune Christmas tournaments and that's when the talking heads decided to have an all Randolph tourney. Northwest had a player with the last name Thompson that burned up the nets, and they never invited another Guilford County squad to their everybody knows everybody soiree. Good luck to the Eastern Guilford Wildcats.

I didn't know Taylor was down there till a couple of minutes ago. I still remember him transferring in from East Montgomery and playing for Kelly. I always thought he did a great job coaching the HP Central girls.
How the mighty have fallen. Saw a score where HP Central girls were defeated 86-1. How does that even happen?
I thought my Thomasville Lady Bulldogs might be the worst in our area, but maybe not.
Lot of championships between those two schools.

Would West Brunswick and Eastern Guilford been invited if they were both undefeated ?
P.S. If I'm not mistaken, Northwest Guilford won the first three Courier Tribune Christmas tournaments and that's when the talking heads decided to have an all Randolph tourney. Northwest had a player with the last name Thompson that burned up the nets, and they never invited another Guilford County squad to their everybody knows everybody soiree. Good luck to the Eastern Guilford Wildcats.
To answer your first question.......I have no idea. They did invite NCLA, who is 5-1.

As far as the Courier-Tribune, you're very mistaken. Northwest did win the very first tournament in 1991. Not only was Steve Thompson on that team but also the legendary Rusty LaRue. LaRue might still be the greatest player to ever play in the CT.

Northwest was in the CT until 1999. During that time, the Vikings won two CT championships (1995 and 1998). Trinity won in 92, 93, 96, 97, and 99. Randleman actually won in 94.

And the Vikings weren't the only team from Guilford to participate. Southern Guilford was in the CT from 1993 to 2006.

The very first lineup (1991) was the five RC schools at the time plus Northwest, West Montgomery, and Southern Alamance. In 1993, both West and Southern dropped out and was replaced by Southern Guilford and Jordan Matthews. When Northwest left, they were replaced by North Moore. Both North Moore and Southern participated until the two newest schools in RC (Providence Grove/Wheatmore) opened around 2008.

On the girls side, McMichael participated from 1991 to 1998.

Speaking of Guilford County and the CT......here's a fun fact. A guy by the name of Darryl Brown from Southern Guilford made the All-Tourney team in 1994.

Thomasville girls are terrible if they can't even score points i would just cancel the season that's just embarrassing to the past girls that use to blow teams out of the water. Men's team isn't much better either smh

To answer your first question.......I have no idea. They did invite NCLA, who is 5-1.

As far as the Courier-Tribune, you're very mistaken. Northwest did win the very first tournament in 1991. Not only was Steve Thompson on that team but also the legendary Rusty LaRue. LaRue might still be the greatest player to ever play in the CT.

Northwest was in the CT until 1999. During that time, the Vikings won two CT championships (1995 and 1998). Trinity won in 92, 93, 96, 97, and 99. Randleman actually won in 94.

And the Vikings weren't the only team from Guilford to participate. Southern Guilford was in the CT from 1993 to 2006.

The very first lineup (1991) was the five RC schools at the time plus Northwest, West Montgomery, and Southern Alamance. In 1993, both West and Southern dropped out and was replaced by Southern Guilford and Jordan Matthews. When Northwest left, they were replaced by North Moore. Both North Moore and Southern participated until the two newest schools in RC (Providence Grove/Wheatmore) opened around 2008.

On the girls side, McMichael participated from 1991 to 1998.

Speaking of Guilford County and the CT......here's a fun fact. A guy by the name of Darryl Brown from Southern Guilford made the All-Tourney team in 1994.
Thank you for the informative information, Juke Box Hero....good stuff. Hoping you and yours are well and have a wonderful Christmas.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Round 1 boys on 12/27
10:30 AM Davie VS Thomasville
1:30 PM South Davidson VS West Davidson
4:30 PM Bethany VS East Davidson
7:30 PM Lexington VS Ledford
Any favorites on who will win this tournament, I think Davie will probably win but maybe a team will come out of nowhere, we will see.

Round 1 Scores
Davie 69
Thomasville 50

West Davidson 64
South Davidson 52

Bethany 18
East Davidson 69

Lexington 72
Ledford 58

Round 2 12/28
Davie VS West Davidson 4:30 PM
East Davidson VS Lexington 7:30 PM

I would say the Davie/TV game was the “championship.” Davie shouldn’t struggle with the remaining of the field. 6/8 teams have a losing record.
I always disliked that the tournament is not set by records, but predetermined.

Reactions: Deacsfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT