ADVERTISEMENT

just how good is mount airy

Mount Airy has a good team, for sure and they seem to have a solid chance of going undefeated in the regular season. They play in a weak conference though and it might catch up with them.

Mount Airy is good, but a lot of their success this year has been because of weak competition and because they have one of the best WRs in the state, along with some other really good athletes to throw the ball to. They are a very solid team and will likely go undefeated as well as deep into the playoffs, they will not beat Tarboro though.

Reactions: Swo_05
Well if you want to find out how good Mt Airy is you just have to meet up with us and play that's the only way to tell I will say we have 5 players that can take it to the house on you and a record setting QB this year in passing as a sophomore my take on this offense is they make it happen quick they are heavy on the talent side on offense and getting much better on defense . We love playing as underdogs seems like that is where some of our greatest wins in history has came from we are also members with Reildsville and Shelby in the 700 plus win club that's how good we are and ole by the way we have a pretty Dang fancy electronic scoreboard at Wallace Shelton stadium to I'm proud of my team GO BEARS

Same ole song and dance as every year. Mount Airy has been the class of the field for many years from the northwest part of the state, but you'd think they would have more than 1 state title to show for in modern time. They're sort of like Oklahoma. Always take care of business in the regular season which garners lots of hype but not much to show for when it matters.

Last edited:
If MA goes small they have a real good chance to win a state title, if they go big they have no chance, like everyone else not named Tarboro.

It’s just they way it is right now. MA is good, but Tarboro is great.

15 years ago Starmount, Murphy and Maiden were good, but Albemarle was great.

I’m sure in a few years someone else will be great and East Surry will still lose in the first two rounds and you will still need a translator to figure out what most of the MA posters are saying.

It’s just they way it is right now. MA is good, but Tarboro is great.

15 years ago Starmount, Murphy and Maiden were good, but Albemarle was great.

I’m sure in a few years someone else will be great and East Surry will still lose in the first two rounds and you will still need a translator to figure out what most of the MA posters are saying.

No dog in this fight but this post is hilarious.

This post is hilarious—- considering this dominating team you are screaming about was up 12 - 0 with 6 minutes to go and 18 - 7 with a little under 5 minutes to go. Now here’s some real talk vikes are loaded they are the champs, that schedule they play ain’t much to talk about just like the bears schedule, the other thing is if your team ain’t won 700 plus then set down and shut up. Now the other certain thing is the west will run through Wallace Shelton this year , big a or small. If you think Donovan Greene is the only weapon the bears have you will be sadly mistaken. Bring your squad to town and we will line them up and play a little football. This years team is gonna be a tall order for anybody they play , INCLUDING THE VIKES!! Every snap they are getting better , learning and growing in the new offense and under the new coaching staff. Whole lotta weapons. Now for a little food for thought, if Greg Greene would have played last year you would be saying his name a whole lot on this board , and you will by seasons end. You say the qb has all these people to throw to so his stats has to look good — guess what — he still has to make the throw. Has to get the ball to them. You come check him out, he is able to check down off of his 1st option, able to get to his second and third option When’s the last time you seem a sophomore qb playing at the 1a level do that ,, that’s what I thought — NEVER.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan
You do realize that schools that were built ‘65 to ‘70 have only played about 700 games. So unless your school is older than dirt, you would have to be undefeated with 45 state championships in a row to win 700 games?

Congrats on that conference championship Andy Griffith’s senior year though.

1-Bears going 1AA (enrollment keeps climbing)
2-Bears have very good skill people
3-lost a lot from last year especially on the lines; have gotten better each week
4-kid off soccer team stepped up to be kicker: consistently kicks out of endzone on KO’s;
5-do they have a chance to get back to ‘ship:yes! But so does several other teams; Nov is not far off

Gdawg...you jumped ship quick when East Surry started losing..All we heard was Gosnell was the greatest qb since sliced bread...now you don't even mention his name at all in a sentence. The QB from My.Airy is blazing the stats..not the QB from East Surry, He is the one you should've been hyping up in the first place

We are good enough that any of you guys teams won't beat us I guess you had better pull for Tarboro

Deff not jumping ship on Gosnell , he is as good as I’ve said he was , didn’t play against ragsdale. His size and athletic ability will allow him to play at the next level. Let’s not forget all that talent at East Surry are juniors. They are the 2nd best team in the west , behind the bears at this point and both are close to each other. There’s not a team in the west besides the bears that beat East Surry right now. That’s right now / tomorrow night. Gosnell will play D1 / high D1. The cards make serious noise this year and play in the ship next

With the speed Mt Airy has they have a chance against anyone. Most 1a schools can't defend against a good passing game.

With the speed Mt Airy has they have a chance against anyone. Most 1a schools can't defend against a good passing game.
Tarboros whole team is fast, not 4 or 5 players like Mt Airy. You got to have time to throw the ball and Mt Airy's o-line is not as good as last year. Tarboro d-line will be in the backfield with pressure all game.

As a Tarboro Fan I can agree that this years team is really good. Legit backfield of 6 RB’s, good O-Line, and unlike previous years, this team can throw the ball ablittle too.

Defense is unreal, only allowed 12 total points (only 6 on defense).

That being said, we aren’t taking anyone for granted, there are some good teams in the East & West, and anyone can be beat on any given night.

As a Tarboro Fan I can agree that this years team is really good. Legit backfield of 6 RB’s, good O-Line, and unlike previous years, this team can throw the ball ablittle too.

Defense is unreal, only allowed 12 total points (only 6 on defense).

That being said, we aren’t taking anyone for granted, there are some good teams in the East & West, and anyone can be beat on any given night.

Confident but Humble is the only way to go if you want to win another title....Teams that think they're too good too lose will often get humbled in the end....

Tarboro was this year's preseason favorite right after they beat the Bears last year, and that hasn't changed.....

To be the champ, you've got to beat the champ, and I'm sure that's part of the mindset for the Seniors at Mount Airy who were humbled last year by the Vikings in the title game....

Most folk rightfully believe that Tarboro will stroll to another title, and that might very well happen which wouldn't surprise anybody, but the best team in each classification doesn't always win the title, even though they may have the trophy....Upsets can and do happen!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT