ADVERTISEMENT

Just an idea....

KevinFromSwain

May 30, 2001
Far in'em thar hills
But I sure wish the state would allow the rest of the state to be divided up in some kind of regional format. The SMC hasn’t changed much over the last fifty years. I’d like to see some stability down east like we have up here in the hills. Just putting this out there.

But I sure wish the state would allow the rest of the state to be divided up in some kind of regional format. The SMC hasn’t changed much over the last fifty years. I’d like to see some stability down east like we have up here in the hills. Just putting this out there.
It’s not always about the state. Schools in the east tend to fluctuate in terms of size a bit more. Also, in 1A a lot of very small 1A schools have consolidated with other small 1A schools in the east. The numbers of students, schools are constantly changing down east. It’s obvious the far west schools have a more consistent economic landscape and only so many schools to pair together.

It’s not always about the state. Schools in the east tend to fluctuate in terms of size a bit more. Also, in 1A a lot of very small 1A schools have consolidated with other small 1A schools in the east. The numbers of students, schools are constantly changing down east. It’s obvious the far west schools have a more consistent economic landscape and only so many schools to pair together.
I understand, but how does a conference build a tradition when the conferences are in flux every couple of yrs?

Reactions: BK13T-$
I understand, but how does a conference build a tradition when the conferences are in flux every couple of yrs?
Every school has a story. Tarboro when I came through played Ahoskie, Bertie, Edenton Holmes, Plymouth, Williamston, Washington as conference opponents. Basically US64 East of Rocky Mount was our conference. When Tarboro went 2A, it all shifted south the US264 corridor with Farmville Central, Greene Central, SWE, Goldsboro, Kinston. Now, Tarboro is paired with Pamlico, Jones Senior, Southside, Northside. Other than Riverside and South Creek, there are very few teams that are a size fit, geographical fit and historical fit. Tradition at Tarboro is built on a unique identity that has followed us wherever we go. Everyone looks at the T offense and just scratches their heads. How does this team succeed doing THIS? It can only happen here.

Every school has a story. Tarboro when I came through played Ahoskie, Bertie, Edenton Holmes, Plymouth, Williamston, Washington as conference opponents. Basically US64 East of Rocky Mount was our conference. When Tarboro went 2A, it all shifted south the US264 corridor with Farmville Central, Greene Central, SWE, Goldsboro, Kinston. Now, Tarboro is paired with Pamlico, Jones Senior, Southside, Northside. Other than Riverside and South Creek, there are very few teams that are a size fit, geographical fit and historical fit. Tradition at Tarboro is built on a unique identity that has followed us wherever we go. Everyone looks at the T offense and just scratches their heads. How does this team succeed doing THIS? It can only happen here.
That was the same conference as when I came through also if you add Roanoke and Roanoke Rapids. What a great conference.

Robbinsville, Andrews, Hayesville, and Cherokee will always be part of the SMC. Although Cherokee did play in a different conference at one time. Rosman has the greatest chance of being in a different conference , just because how far away they are. Murphy and Swain could exit the SMC if the state goes to 5a or 6a. Or the SMC could become a 1a/2a split conference.

Reactions: recycled2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT