ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Matthews at Providence Grove

Chute Boxe Hero

Aug 11, 2005
Well, I left with about six minutes to go and the score was 54-0 PG. Heck, PG might still be scoring TD's as I type.

PG pressed the easy button multiple times on this one. The Pats scored on their first two plays. Zander Cheek ran back the opening kickoff for the first TD. Then, Cheek scored on a long bomb from Luke Thomas down the right sideline. Zane Cheek scored a couple of TD's and I think Caleb Rogers had a couple. Rogers has turned into a nice, dual-threat back. I've got to shoutout Karson Bowman too, he had a great game on defense.

I'll sum up JM with this sentence: They do what they can with what they have. They had 19 players total and I think they played all of them.

I'll share more thoughts on PG tomorrow......

Alright, here's those thoughts......

I need another look. JM's not the greatest measuring stick. The next two weeks will tell tons more about PG. They have Asheboro next Friday followed by Ledford the week after.

PG's got some solid bones. They have a plethora of weapons on O. Luke Thomas can make about any throw you want. The Cheek twins and Caleb Rogers are versatile and speedy. They've got better size in the trenches than I thought. They get after it on defense.

That being said, I'm not sold on PG making a deep run. I wouldn't favor them over ER and I'm not sure I'd favor them over Asheboro. I think PG could fall anywhere between 15-25 in the 2A ranks. I really hope I'm wrong about that first sentence.

I think their defensive play will ultimately determine how far they go. That offense shouldn't have much trouble putting up points on most nights.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Something else I have to add.....

PG plays the absolute worst music of anyone anywhere. Not only did they play Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" when PG was up by 47......they played a cover of Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer". I mean....how about playing something like "Let the Good Times Roll" by The Cars when we're up 47. Just a suggestion.

Alright I'll shut up and go to bed now.

Something else I have to add.....

PG plays the absolute worst music of anyone anywhere. Not only did they play Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" when PG was up by 47......they played a cover of Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer". I mean....how about playing something like "Let the Good Times Roll" by The Cars when we're up 47. Just a suggestion.

Alright I'll shut up and go to bed now.

You save that one for when it's a barn burner with your rival not when you're having a good time.

I'm fond of either that Cars song or Everybody Dance Now. Both hype me up in different ways. Sadly my school's soundtrack was bipolar. We used to have listen to Dancing Queen or John Denver when we did good.. in the words of Homer Simpson: "Ugh.. John Denver." :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
It's so sad seeing JM like they are now. We scrimmaged them at Thomasville in 2016 and they had depth issues then with that coach that won all those games. It hasn't gotten any better for them either. It's really sad; they were so good for so long.

They badly need to go to 1A.

You save that one for when it's a barn burner with your rival not when you're having a good time.

I'm fond of either that Cars song or Everybody Dance Now. Both hype me up in different ways. Sadly my school's soundtrack was bipolar. We used to have listen to Dancing Queen or John Denver when we did good.. in the words of Homer Simpson: "Ugh.. John Denver." :eek:
Yeah, nothing gets the testosterone flowing quite like ABBA or John Denver.

The absolute worst was the time when PG played that Celine Dion song from the Titanic after a touchdown. You don't know how badly I wanted to go up there and destroy all the sound equipment.

Last edited:

The absolute worst was the time when PG played that Celine Dion song from the Titanic after a touchdown. You don't know how badly I wanted to go up there and destroy all the sound equipment.
dang. That's terrible.

Siler City started changing in the 90s as more Hispanics began moving there. J-M I think was 1A in the 90s and 2000s. Still no midldle school football in Chatham County which I still don't understand the thinking behind that.

Last edited:

Now hold on just a dang minute...
You KNOW Dancing Queen is a quite snappy tune (remember I graduated in 81)...
And Thank God I'm a Country Boy fits nicely (It's PG ok works for ER, SWR, Randolph Co in general)...
Don't be so set in your ways Chute...
Not every football team has to come out to Thunderstruck...
Although everyone knows how much I personally hate Sweet Caroline at baseball games so I kinda get it...
If I just knew some of these announcers personally I might could help you out...;););)

Now hold on just a dang minute...
You KNOW Dancing Queen is a quite snappy tune (remember I graduated in 81)...
And Thank God I'm a Country Boy fits nicely (It's PG ok works for ER, SWR, Randolph Co in general)...
Don't be so set in your ways Chute...
Not every football team has to come out to Thunderstruck...
Although everyone knows how much I personally hate Sweet Caroline at baseball games so I kinda get it...
If I just knew some of these announcers personally I might could help you out...;););)

Dancing Queen's awesome and I love it, but we just used to play it at the worst moments especially when we were doing good.. it honesty fits at the end of a game but not during it. A better song of that type is What a Feeling, from Flashdance. Sports teams actually used it back in 83/84.. the Sixers did in their title season documentary.

Country Boy's awesome and always gets a good reaction from the crowd. What I hate is Leaving on a Jet Plane, for some reason it got on the pre game warmup lineup in 2019 and it was PAINFUL to sit through. We on the staff hated it, the kids REALLY hated it, and the crowd mocked it. Def not a warmup song, in fact it makes a game like a funeral. Could be worse.. we used to have to listen to mid 00's emo and goth rock back when I played ball. Some of the least motivating crap I've ever heard. Then my junior year we had to deal with Guns and Roses's Knocking on Heaven's Door for ages.. drove us insane.

Only ballad we had our senior year was Copperhead Road but that's more of a guy oriented one 🤣

Reactions: thekidd12
Guess I need to start paying attention. The only music I usually hear was the obnoxious. But has nothing to do with canned music, but I do notice the bands and they certainly make the HS football game experience better.

Siler City started changing in the 90s as more Hispanics began moving there. J-M I think was 1A in the 90s and 2000s. Still no midldle school football in Chatham County which I still don't understand the thinking behind that.
When Clinton signed NAFTA all the manufacturing left and basically JM is a school with around 75% hispanic enrollment due to the chicken plant. With no middle school football, JM has struggled to get players out especially the hispanic players. Coach Scotten did a great job and battled to the end. Sam Spencer did as well and actually ran the wing t to try and shorten games which was very wise. He got a raw deal by the higher ups, embarrassing, and he deserved better. But it is Chatham County.

PGrove is for real, this is their year to win the conference if they are going to do it. The ER game will be great and Randleman should not be counted out quite yet imo. PG won’t make it far in the playoffs with what they will have to face however, too many west 2A teams with many more athletes. 2A west is going to be brutal

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT