ADVERTISEMENT

James Kenan

JeffFriday

Sep 25, 2014
I am in shock that James Kenan's fans showed such a lack of respect for Head Coach Ken Avent Jr and his staff. The fans chanted at times to change QB's and there was even a call on Facebook over the weekend for a coaching change. Suddenly four 4th round appearances in a row and a 2013 State Championship aren't good enough for a head coach that has won half of the school's total State Titles. Total lack of respect for a good coach. I hope Coach Avent has thicker skin than this poster does. Because I'd hate to see the Tigers in the state they were in before Coach Mott...

I'm not surprised to hear that. They had better take a step back and realize who their leader is. A fine man and a helluva coach

Reactions: aftermath
I think a lot of fans said things in the heat of the moment, that they really didn't mean. I think the world of Ken, but I do disagree with Friday night's game plan. You just can't get to the biggest game of the year, and then abandon what got you there. He ran the same play over and over Friday night. The quarterback had 28 carries on the read option, the two running backs combined carried the ball 22 times!

People are the same, MOB RULES, no respect, no idea what went into preparation, health of the running backs, changes needed on defense..kids played their hearts out and JK didn't get the result that they wanted...pride and poise!

People are the same, MOB RULES, no respect, no idea what went into preparation, health of the running backs, changes needed on defense..kids played their hearts out and JK didn't get the result that they wanted...pride and poise!
JKHS - so basically your saying Ken doesn't know what he's doing? Had he won with that plan would you have agreed with it? Let's face it JK was not supposed to win that game and they didn't.

Reactions: aftermath
No mob rules here enuff. Running backs played both way all year long, so that wasn't the issue. As I stated I think the world of Ken, but if it isn't broke don't try to fix it.

No doubt there will be people complaining about the coach of the losing team this Saturday as well.

JKHS - so basically your saying Ken doesn't know what he's doing? Had he won with that plan would you have agreed with it? Let's face it JK was not supposed to win that game and they didn't.[/QUOTE
As stated in my original post, I think the world of Ken, and think he is a great coach. I only said I didn't like the game plan. If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. Don't abandon what got you there the first place. If the read option isn't working, try something else! I don't understand what you mean by Jk wasn't suppose to win that game?

I think the game plan was the same as ever. Run the read option. QB read that he was supposed to keep the ball. Sorry the read option looks different sometimes.

The cold got to jk. They hardly warmed up for the game. The coach and his son stayed up way to late viewing tapes? Theres no way Avent was going to cary the team hoging the ball all nite. Did they just forget about there other two great rbs that got them to championship game?

Coach Ken Avent is a great coach and certainly a class act. Most in the stands know just enough football to warm their seats. Ken had a reason to go with the game plan used. It came, I'm sure, from hours of looking at game film to study just what could be used to defeat WRH. It did not work out and said above it just was not meant to be. As long as Avent is the coach at JK they will have a competitve football team vying for championships most every year.

Reactions: JeffFriday
Some people on this board and in the stands are amazing. You have a coach who has won, I believe, 7 Conference Championships in 10 years at JK, 2 state titles, and open the doors for his players to play at the next level. JK lost to a very good WRH team. Give credit to the defending state champions who returned most of their offense and have 2 D1 players on it.

People want to complain about the JK offense but their offense outgained WRH last Friday. If the JK fans want to complain about Ken Avent or his son as a QB I am sure there are 370 Schools in North Carolina that would take them. JK fans don't need to complain. You have been spoiled beyond what you deserve so don't criticize a man who has brought your community more than anyone else who has ever coached at the school.

This post is absolutely absurd. Ken Avent is one of the best, if not the best, coach in the state. I think many fans are just reacting to the lost, but the man knows what he's doing and has proven that. Look at JK before he got there and look at what he has accomplished. He has even played a role in changing the negative cloud that was once over the school by uniting a community through winning football games. It happens everywhere. After we lost to JK, earlier in the year, Joey Price was the worst coach in the state and now he's coaching in the SHIP later this week. So, it's just emotions of fans who, for a second, forgot they have a jewel for a coach. Deep down they know that, but it's just the way their frustration happen to come out. If Coach Price leaves, I'll love to have him in Wallace!

I dought either coaches leaves. Coach Avent has another son who knows football. Ill have to check but i think jk has won three state championships in football. They beat west montgomery two times. JK has one of the best programs in the state no dought. The dog pound is hard for any team deal with just ask any of the teams that got rolled over in there in the playoffs.

I dought either coaches leaves. Coach Avent has another son who knows football. Ill have to check but i think jk has won three state championships in football. They beat west montgomery two times. JK has one of the best programs in the state no dought. The dog pound is hard for any team deal with just ask any of the teams that got rolled over in there in the playoffs.

Ken Avent the current JK coach only has 1 son. His father Ken Avent Sr has two..Ken and John Bert. John Bert has helped ken for a while in different capacities and when Ken left North Duplin to go to North johnston John Bert took over.

They have only won 2 state titles but did go to one his first year at JK and lost to Thomasville. The did beat West Montgomery both times.

I would not be surprised 1 bit to see Coach Price leave WRH after this year. What more does he have to prove at WRH? Possible 4th state title this weekend. I could see him heading south of the border if the opportunity is there for him.

WRH was just better. Avent has won only two state titles. Thats hilarious. There are probably over 300 schools in the state that would take him right now.

I agree with Adoggbites,
Coach Avent is a great coach and we would love to have him at WRH if coach Price leaves...I have watched his coaching since his North Jonhston days-a class act and great football mind. I believe they just ran into a better, focused WRH with #8 playing defense-THANKS coach Price for putting #8 on defense!!!!!!!!!!!!! They better pray that he does not leave JK..I dont know how long coach Price will hang around but I would try to take him from JK or Alderidge from East Duplin if coach Price bolts...at

What game were they watching????
I want to know the stats of each of the JK running backs and their Qb stats for the game. They better be happy that they had him at QB or it would of been a more lopsided game----Avent jr, kept them in the game and was a threat every snap....

James Kenan has two State Titles from the mid 60's and the two under Avent. I seriously doubt Avent leaves JK next year is his son's Ken Avent III's senior year and he'll stay through that and probably as long as he feels like coaching.

You are correct. I checked nchsaa records and jk won two 1a championps in 1960 and 62. Coach Avent won in 2007 and 2013 in 1aa.

They said last nite on wilmington ch 6 that S Columbus coach is leaving to teach. Lets hope coach Price dont go back.

All I know is Coach Price is gearing up for noon on Saturday. Congrats to the Bulldogs on the win this past week. Good luck, Go Duplin County.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT