ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article concerning state playoffs

EDEagle66

Oct 29, 2014
I read this article this morning concerning state playoffs and I wanted to share/get your thoughts on it.

just read on another forum that Trask high school (located near Wilmington, I think) had a 8-3 record but is sitting home for the playoffs....something is out of whack here..........

I makes no difference how they do the play-offs someone want like it.Last year it was the pods .Next year something else.Even if you went to only the conference champion qualifies [like it was years ago]a team like South Caldwell would make the play-offs.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
I hope they will make an adjustment that eliminates division winners in a split conference like South Caldwell if they aren't in the Top 64 of the maxpreps rankings (or top 48 in 1A and 4A) and/or go back to like it was two years ago and require a minimum .340 overall record winning %, in the 2015-16 school year, that .340 rule only effected teams trying to claim the second auto bid from a split conference division (Brevard baseball missed playoffs in 2016 with 7-15 record, .318 win%, despite being the 2nd place 2A team in a 2A/3A split conference), but I'd like to see them implement it for any team in a split conference outside the top two in the entire conference

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
in the 2A/2AA brackets, 8-3 Trask, ranked #64 by maxpreps is out, while 3-8 Graham, ranked #90 by maxpreps, made it in, because Graham finished second in their conference....like I said about South Caldwell, I'd like to see them revisit giving automatic bids to teams that really have no business in the playoffs, while I didn't like the way they used pods to seed the brackets last year, I did like it that everybody was a wild card except conference champions....(of course last year that also could have included division winners that finished next to last with 1 win like South Caldwell)...would like to see them go to only overall conference champions (whether split or straight conference), then only second place teams automatically if a league has 7 teams (instead of this year's rule with 5 teams), and everybody else is a wild card based on overall record winning percentage like we had kind of gotten used to (and conference record winning percentage to break any ties if we have 2 or more teams fighting for the last wild card spot)....then if you want to use maxpreps rankings for something, let it break ties for teams in the same tier with identical records like we did last year, but NOT dictating who the last few teams to qualify for the playoffs are

Why not just put all the teams in. Since we already have most of them playing.Add one more week.
I believe that they've NEVER let the playoffs go on for more than 5 weeks in a given post-season (except maybe 2001 when 3A was running a week behind [they started their 1st Rd when everybody else was on 2nd Rd] because of a lawsuit involving North Gaston, but they still only played 5 rounds).....(of course, I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm in the comment)

I believe that they've NEVER let the playoffs go on for more than 5 weeks in a given post-season (except maybe 2001 when 3A was running a week behind [they started their 1st Rd when everybody else was on 2nd Rd] because of a lawsuit involving North Gaston, but they still only played 5 rounds).....(of course, I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm in the comment)

No sarcasm. I think too many get in now and realize it's nothing more than a money thing.But why not put all in since most are already in.You could easily extend it one week by eliminating the open week during the season or you could just add a 2AAA .for those 52 teams that don't make it.

Reduce the number of teams that make playoff so it is four rounds in 1A and 4A. U see the 20/30/30/20 allow 2A and 3A to remain at five rounds.

Any team that does not make the playoffs can play a "bowl" game against an agreeing non playoff opponent the week of the first round.

In Cleveland County they can just have jamborees for 12 weeks and forget the playoffs. They go nuts over jamborees.

Reactions: sasha_nc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT