ADVERTISEMENT

Indy VS Mallard Creek August 22nd

Mallard creek is as good as advertised remains my of 2004 Independence squad there loaded all over. Scary thought they have one senior on there o-line. There WR are lethal an James Smith was good outside of early interceptions. Butler will be interesting but I think we won't know how good this team is until they play Byrnes or Vance

Mallard creek is as good as advertised remains my of 2004 Independence squad there loaded all over. Scary thought they have one senior on there o-line. There WR are lethal an James Smith was good outside of early interceptions. Butler will be interesting but I think we won't know how good this team is until they play Byrnes or Vance

It probably won't be Byrnes that tests them, home field atmosphere or not. Byrnes has a plethora of their own issues at the moment.

I attended this game. No doubt the creek is loaded. I didnt really learn anything about Indy because the creek did their thing. The one thing I take from this game is how blessed I am to come from an area where football is a passion. This was one of the worst atmospheres for a high school game I have ever been to. Other than the students it looked as if people were more interested in their cell phones than the game. And that was when it was close.I guess in Charlotte where people actually have lives other than football things are just different. At any rate. Congrats to the Creek. You guys have another beast of a team.

They play 4A ball, so it's not surprising you've never heard of them since you guys duck any and all 4A competition.

You're pretty proud of that 4A team aren't you....the dominating, incredible, awesome Independence loses by FIFTY-TWO points. 52, 52, 52, 52, 52 do you realize how many points we are talking about here? Independence lost by 52. One more time....THE GREAT AND ALL POWERFUL Independence LOST by 52. They lost by OVER SEVEN TOUCHDOWNS!!

Let's see where (prior to this massive loss) Indy was in Simmons ratings...Why don't you tell me where Shelby is and where Independence is. http://www.simmonsratings.com/overrank15.htm Then tell me according to his pretty accurate prediction formula who would be FAVORED if Indy came to Shelby. I'll help you out....the puny little 2A team would be favored over the GREAT AND POWERFUL 4A Independence.

Then tell me who won the game between 1A Wallace Rose-Hill and THE BIG 4A Laney. Oh and what was the score between this little puny 1A school and a big 4A school. hokie, you are so damn caught up on this 4A crap. Crest was the best team in the state over all classes last year and they were 3A.

Friday night we played Freedom. They are 3A but they also have the best back in the state over all classes that will be playing for Alabama next year....yeah the University of Alabama. Can you believe ALABAMA is recruiting someone from 3A and not BIG BOY 4A football? What is Alabama thinking???? And by the way....little 2A Shelby beat him.

So we "duck" 4A competition? What was Crest in the '90s? What Was Freedom and North Meck? Ashbrook in the '00s? You really have no idea what you are talking about and it's pretty funny to watch your "proof" about BIG BOY football crumble in front of your face.

Where is West Charlotte?
Where is Independence?
Where is Butler?
Where is Richmond County?

They come and they go....won't be long until we're saying this about Mallard Creek.

Now answer a real question? Where is Shelby? Continuing to dominate North Carolina high school football year in and year out like we have for over 100 years.

#15 in '15 (Oh and it'd be a 3-peat)

Had it been Shelby it would have been worse, but they know that and aren't silly enough to schedule it. Back to the 2A board

Yeah Im a huge Shelby believer but good 4AA football teams would best every 1a,2a,3a team. Crest is good. Especially their first 22 only problem is depth. Mallard Creek 2s and 3s would be starters everywhere else, #fact, why so many players leave their program and get starting positions at other schools

31-49 Byrnes over northwestern.

Can someone give me the date Richmond county came and went?

Jus t found out that Indy defensive line will be tough they have a nice 6'3 205 Defensive end who been there all four years getting college interest who will help the kid commited to Penn State hold there side of the ball down. I know mallard creek will eventually wear them down but I look forward to seeing mallard creek o-line vs Indy d- line.

If that Indy D-Line wasn't as tough as you mentioned, I wonder what the final score would be.

No...NW was up for most of the game, but a couple of
Where is Independence?
Where is Butler?
Where is Richmond County?

This post didn't even make any sense. Richmond has the best 4A winning percentage of all time, is tied for the most 4A state titles of all time, and spent some time ranked #1 overall in the state as recently as last season.

Butler has only been open since 1997, but has the 2nd best 4A winning percentage of all-time, is tied for the 4th most 4A state titles of all time, and spent some time ranked #1 overall in the state as recently as last year (after beating #1 Mallard Creek for the third time in the last 6 tries). Butler also has season-ending national rankings of #2 (maxPreps...2009) and #3 (USAToday...2012) recently, and had the maxPreps national Coach of The Year winners in 2009 (Newsome) and 2012 (Hales). They also a maxPreps national Player of The Year winner in 2009 (LeMay).

Independence is tied for the most 4A state titles of all time, had a national public school all-time record winning streak (109 games), has the all-time North Carolina record winning streak, has the all-time North Carolina record consecutive state titles won (7), and spent almost the entire season ranked in the top 5 overall in the state as recently as last season. They also had the national all-time career yardage record holder for a decade (Leak...almost 16,000 yds), and the national all-time career TD pass record holder (Leak...174 TDs).

When was the last time Shelby had the best 4A winning percentage in state history?
When was the last time Shelby had the most 4A titles in state history?
When was the last time Shelby won any 4A titles at all?
When was the last time Shelby was ranked #1 overall in the state?
When was the last time Shelby beat the #1 overall ranked team in the state?
When was the last time Shelby even had enough balls to play the #1 overall ranked team in the state?
When was the last time Shelby was nationally ranked in the top 5?
When was the last time Shelby was nationally ranked at all?
When was the last time Shelby finished with top 5 national rankings in multiple years?
When was the last time Shelby had a national coach of the year?
When was the last time Shelby had multiple national coaches of the year?
When was the last time Shelby had a national player of the year?
When was the last time Shelby held the all-time national record winning streak?
When was the last time Shelby held the all-time state record winning streak?
When was the last time Shelby won 7 straight state titles?
When was the last time Shelby had a career yardage national record holder?
When was the last time Shelby had a career TD passes national record holder?

I'll be waiting for the answers to these questions in order to further evaluate the greatness that is Shelby.

Reactions: CougarsOfAHS
This argument again...
I think some posters should just copy and paste their same material from last season.

ChampFromSomeOtherCentury should just change his user name to be Those_Who_Can't_Take_Shots_At_Those_Who_Have

Crest was not the best team in the state, maybe top 5. And shelby is better than some on here think, they wouldn't get close to mallard creek though.

Well hokiemtc, despite an opening fragmented sentence going to nowhere, that might be the most grammatically correct post you ever made. Is someone ghost writing for you? Or did you finally find spell check?

You could not respond to the 1A Wallace Rose-Hill crushing of 4A Laney on Friday, but we will answer your questions because it is so much fun to humiliate you.

Richmond’s winning percentage means nothing in light of their recent playoff performances. They are a has- been and they know it. You are the only one still living their Magic. They could barely find a head coach.

Butler was also flavor of the month. So much so Newsome went to Kannapolis. They got the press because they were in Charlotte. That will be the reoccurring theme. You are blinded from the truth by all the bright lights.

Independence. With their current non-rankings and performance Friday night? You really want to bring them up? Knox was a great coach, but he bent/broke rules. At Indy and W Charlotte. He had to leave the state to go to SC where they encourage it. Not surprised he is winning still. Winning streaks are a function of competition as well as excellence. So Knox wins with a Charlotte all star team against horrible competition for 7 years. Yipee. They go out of state and promptly lose.

Shelby has the best PLAYOFF WINNING PERCENTAGE in state history, despite APPEARING the most years in the playoffs of any program in state history. 80.62%

Shelby is second for most State Titles at 14. That is twice as many as Richmond Co or Indy. Reidsville has 18.

When was the last time Mallard Creek, Richmond Co, Indy, or Butler won a state title above 4A? That was a stupid question hokiemtc.

Shelby has been ranked #1 in the state several times over the years. The most current would be….now.

Shelby beat Crest in 1997 at their place 18-7. Crest was defending 4A champs and ranked #1.

When did we have the balls to play #1? See above. We play them every year. They are #1…now.

Shelby’s national ranking is #1…now. For all time wins in NC. 739

We have held that top spot for decades.

Shelby’s last three former coaches are in the NCHSAA Hall of Fame. That is good enough for us.

Shelby has the high school football player of all-time out of North Carolina – Bobby Bell. NFL Hall of Fame, third in the Heisman….look him up.

Shelby has not only played in, at a minimum, back-to-back state title games in the past six decades; 1968/69, 1974/75/76, 1986/87/88, 1997/98, 2004/05/06/07, 2013/14 but has also won the Championship in each of the past six decades, 1968, 70/72/75/76, 86/87, 98, 2005/06, and 2013/14. No other high school football program in the state has even played in one title game in each of the five past decades. Shelby has also been back-to-back Champions 4 times, 1975/76, 1986/87, 2005/06 and 2013/14.

Wouldn’t you call that a winning streak, hokiemtc?

We’re done here.

#15 in ‘15

You could not respond to the 1A Wallace Rose-Hill crushing of 4A Laney on Friday, but we will answer your questions because it is so much fun to humiliate you.

I have no idea what you're talking about here...but congrats, I guess? I have a list of nationally ranked Charlotte schools right here in front of me, but somehow Laney got left off that list. My apologies, Laney fans.

Richmond’s winning percentage means nothing in light of their recent playoff performances. They are a has- been and they know it. You are the only one still living their Magic. They could barely find a head coach.

If Shelby played the teams that Richmond plays in the playoffs, you'd never win another playoff game ever. Conversely, I can only imagine the carnage that Richmond would sow if they could play in the 2A playoffs like Shelby does.

Butler was also flavor of the month. So much so Newsome went to Kannapolis. They got the press because they were in Charlotte. That will be the reoccurring theme. You are blinded from the truth by all the bright lights.

Butler has been ranked #1 overall in the state at some point in 5 of the last 6 years, and top 5 at some point in each of the last 8 years. I'll take that flavor of the month every month, thank you. Shelby has accomplished neither, BTW, in this century (if not ever?).

Independence. With their current non-rankings and performance Friday night? You really want to bring them up? Knox was a great coach, but he bent/broke rules. At Indy and W Charlotte. He had to leave the state to go to SC where they encourage it. Not surprised he is winning still. Winning streaks are a function of competition as well as excellence. So Knox wins with a Charlotte all star team against horrible competition for 7 years. Yipee. They go out of state and promptly lose.

If Shelby had played Mallard Creek Friday night, they'd be unranked right now as well. It really does matter who you play, which is why teams that duck competition like Shelby will never garner any respect on this board. I'm pretty sure Indy could barely squeak by Freedom just like Shelby did if they ever actually scheduled down in class (which they don't).

Shelby has the best PLAYOFF WINNING PERCENTAGE in state history, despite APPEARING the most years in the playoffs of any program in state history. 80.62%

Shelby is second for most State Titles at 14. That is twice as many as Richmond Co or Indy. Reidsville has 18.

You forget, this is the 4A board. Very little of anything you posted was achieved against 4A competition. There's about a dozen 4A schools I can think of off the top of my head that would have better numbers than that playing against the teams that Shelby has played against.

Shelby has been ranked #1 in the state several times over the years. The most current would be….now.

You forget, this is the 4A board, not the small ball board, which is why I said "overall". Mallard Creek is the overall #1 ranked team in the state. Shelby barely cracks the top 20 in the overall rankings even during their best years.

Shelby beat Crest in 1997 at their place 18-7. Crest was defending 4A champs and ranked #1.

What century did this happen in? So let me get this straight...your last quality win over a 4A power was way back 20 years ago...and yet this somehow qualifies you to continuously hijack threads two decades later which don't care about or ever mention Shelby in any way?

So let me get this straight...your hypocritical ass talks about how Richmond, Butler and Indy are past tense programs (despite all of their recent #1 rankings), but your only claim to fame is something that happened 20 years ago?

When did we have the balls to play #1? See above. We play them every year. They are #1…now.

No they aren't, and haven't been in 20 years. Mallard Creek is ranked #1 in the state...a fact even your malnourished brain would know if you ever climbed out of that little 2A fantasy world you live in. Crest cracks the top 10 in the overall rankings about once a decade. Richmond, Butler and Indy all LIVE in the top 10 in the overall rankings.

Shelby’s national ranking is #1…now. For all time wins in NC. 739

We have held that top spot for decades.

That's a longevitiy ranking, not a quality ranking. Winning percentage is the state's benchmark quality ranking...especially winning percentage against 4A teams.

Shelby has the high school football player of all-time out of North Carolina – Bobby Bell. NFL Hall of Fame, third in the Heisman….look him up.

I saw that, and that's one heck of a fine accomplishment. Congrats to Mr. Bell! But he's not the best or highest lauded player ever to come out of North Carolina. I've been a football fan for 40+ years now, and I honestly had never heard of him until the HoF induction.

Shelby has not only played in, at a minimum, back-to-back state title games in the past six decades; 1968/69, 1974/75/76, 1986/87/88, 1997/98, 2004/05/06/07, 2013/14 but has also won the Championship in each of the past six decades, 1968, 70/72/75/76, 86/87, 98, 2005/06, and 2013/14. No other high school football program in the state has even played in one title game in each of the five past decades. Shelby has also been back-to-back Champions 4 times, 1975/76, 1986/87, 2005/06 and 2013/14.

Wouldn’t you call that a winning streak, hokiemtc?

Again, this is the 4A board, not the small ball board, and this is even yet another longevitiy ranking. I wonder how many consecutive state titles Mallard Creek, Richmond, Butler or Indy could win playing the 2A brackets?

It must be sad to think you're all that in football, but the only proof you have are rankings related to how long your school has been open, or your one shining moment 20 years ago. Mallard Creek and Butler have already dwarfed anything Shelby has ever accomplished, and each school has only been open a small fraction of the time Shelby has. So sad. Indy and Richmond have both dwarfed anything Shelby has ever accomplished, and neither school has been open half as long as Shelby has. So sad.

This is 4a board Shelby should worry about teams like east Lincoln for who they top 2A team is in the state. Shelby is good this year but would not be the top 5 4a teams in the state this year. Mallard Creek is turning into a monster I don't think Shelby wants any part of that just being honest. They won't be falling off no time soon . They are currently back to back champs working on three in a row.

hokiemtc,

If a 4A school had the 4A resume that Shelby has at 3A/2A, and that school established that resume against 4A statewide competition, would you say they're the best program of all time in the state?

Shelby is listed @ #36 in North Carolina ranking. That's about right.

What's wrong hokiemtc? You were so mouthy before but now, silence. Were you up all night thinking of us? It's a simple question. So why don't you get off your sad, hypocritical ass (your words, not ours) and answer it?

98 State Chumps: I am reaching out to Ms. King to bring a halt to you hijacking the board every year. You are classless. Your efforts to convince anyone that Shelby is relevant on a 4A board is not working. Hokie has destroyed you with factual data on all levels, but you continue to show up?

The only place Shelby dominates is in your mind.

nepsy7 are you carrying the water for hokiemtc now? You guys are the ones into name calling and foul language. So now you two are going to cry to Deana? She loves us. The last time we looked, this site was called "Rivals". It is not limited by classification. Posters go up and down on all of them.

Still waiting on hokiemtc to answer....

These forums are also split up into different classifications for a reason. You have been coming on here for the last 2 years that i know of, talking about Shelby and hi jacking threads. Nobody from 4A good or bad teams, have any interest on what's going on with Shelby.

Last edited:
To throw my .02 cents into the hat...Having seen this for multiple years from Shelby fans...What you accomplish is the opposite of what you desire. Instead of growing respect for Shelby, you make folks dislike them. Why not try a different tact. Stay silent and allow others the chance to praise them for their on field accomplishments. You might get more respect that way.

nepsy7 you are kidding us, right? You are crying because we have "highjacked" your 4A board? Big boy football but little boy board? hokiemtc blabbed his manifesto first. We just followed and shot him down. Then asked him a question he can't answer. So he hides behind you now. And since 25% of the current state titles reside in Shelby and Cleveland County, you might be surprised at who is interested in us. It is only you and your buddy's colossal arrogance that keeps you from seeing beyond 4A.

1Twister, for you, we can cut and paste. We have answered that question for years now. We liked it better when there was no social media. We were happy to let the Golden Lions success story speak for itself and spread by reputation and word of mouth. But the Internet changed all that and in this media crazy age, all of us must speak up often. Otherwise, other programs will claim what is not rightfully theirs. It is that simple. By definition and factual historical data, the Shelby Golden Lions are the most succesful, sustained, winning high school program in NC-The True Dynasty. And no one else is close.

US? It's just you. Their is no us.
nepsy7 you are kidding us, right? You are crying because we have "highjacked" your 4A board? Big boy football but little boy board? hokiemtc blabbed his manifesto first. We just followed and shot him down. Then asked him a question he can't answer. So he hides behind you now. And since 25% of the current state titles reside in Shelby and Cleveland County, you might be surprised at who is interested in us. It is only you and your buddy's colossal arrogance that keeps you from seeing beyond 4A.

US? There is no us. Have you ever considered that there's no question to answer? Hokie looks like he's not coming back, so now will you leave? Shelby is great.

hokiemtc blabbed his manifesto first. We just followed and shot him down. Then asked him a question he can't answer

If you or your little team ever gets mentioned on this board for any reason, I can promise you that it was you who did it, because you are the only person here who gives a rat's you-know-what about your little irrelevant program.

All everyone ever asks here is that you go back to your own board (you know, that one that isn't named 4A) and to stop hijacking threads here left and right, year after year, to brag about your little non-4A school that is too chicken to play 4A schools. How you're even still allowed to do this year after year is beyond me.

And I re-read your last few posts, I didn't see any questions that I didn't answer. Loud and clear, BTW. It's not my fault you're not listening.

Last edited:
Nice try hokiemtc. The question is staring you in the face...post #98 on this thread. "How you're even still allowed to do this....waaa....waaaa." We are in your head now.

Since you evidently didn't reread anything I'll put it right in your face...again...

If a 4A school had the 4A resume that Shelby has at 3A/2A, and that school established that resume against 4A statewide competition, would you say they're the best program of all time in the state?

Some of the accomplishments you listed would warrant GOAT status, yes. Some of the stuff you listed weren't really accomplishments, though. You even bragged in one post about how old your school was (for all-time wins or something like that).

98 champion.....you are a bullheaded and you are a very loyal supporter of Shelby HS. The problem is that you are giving yourself a bad rep of the school. 4A is highly competitive classification and far more competitive than 2A . Don't get me wrong, there are mighty fine schools in 2A but at the same time, there is no way in hades that Shelby can beat highly rank 4A schools that win state titles and ranked in top 25 in USA. Yes Shelby had beaten some 4A schools in the past but no one in Charlotte. I remember seeing some state titles games at UNC that show three games in one day. I can clearly remember that not one single school from 2A and 1A can beat state champ or runner up in 4A. That what Hokiemetc and other fans trying to tell you.

There is nothing wrong to show your pride for your school but Shelby this year will not be on the same field as Mallard Creek simple because of size and speed. Shelby has won more champions BECAUSE they were and are still in 2A. Look at Thomasville, they won a couple of state titles in 2A then moved down to 1A for about ten years and won four of them. They went back to 2A and had not reached 2A final yet. Now I know Thomasville in past few years went downhill due to lack of athletes on the team and coaches moving in and out. If Shelby get more kids and go to 4A.....you guys might be get in playoff and win some games. The key word is that Shelby or any other schools WILL NOT WIN 15 STATE TITLES simply because of some schools get great group of kids that have a lot of D1 talent to win state titles. Independence won 7 in a row then they got district changed. The Charlotte added few more schools then Independence was no longer in power.

Shelby area had not add new schools or will add new schools in foreseeable future. That is the reason why Shelby had and has been a 2A power school. Like some other posters mention, go back to 2A board and talk with posters on that board. I am glad that Independence is getting better past few years. I got a gut feeling that Mallard Creek football team is going to be something else to remember and probably could be one of the greatest team of all time. That is not set in stone...they got many football games left.

Only you 98champion should argue with Reidsville fans about bragging rights for 2A ball and numerous state titles. I could not even think about seeing 15 state titles in 4A from one schools unless it spanned over 150 years . That mean that particular school win 1 state title in each decade. Now you can see how hard that can be???? Gosh darn it...I forgot that you are thick headed man. I met some fine supporters from many different schools .......there are always a few bad apples in each barrel. I get the feeling that some fans just don't like Shelby on the board just because of you and some other fans that giving the school a bad rap.

Its no shame saying Shelby can't beat Mallard Creek, I mean we aren't even sure who can right now.
If Shelby beats Ac Reynolds this friday,I'd say they'd have a strong case to be a top 25 team in the entire state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT