ADVERTISEMENT

Indy VS Mallard Creek August 22nd

Xman8balla

Oct 5, 2006
Charlotte NC
I think this will be a great game to kick of the HS season ill be in the building to cover this one for NCpreps.com im looking forward to it. I think this game will set the tone for each team season but wont have as much effect as people will think. Either team would be able to bounce back from a loss an go on a win streak an win it all. I commend the coaches for schedule tough an not shying away from the lime light. I have always felt if you have a talented team an program play the best an put your money where your mouth is. Give your fans something to back up.

Mallard Creek has started slow in years past. Not this season. Mallard Creek has weapons galore. Honestly I have been around their 7 on 7s and observed them closely. I have never seen a collection of talent like this since I lived in Florida and watched St Thomas Aquinas win a NATIONAL championship in Florida.
I don't know if they can finish #1 in the nation, but I would be floored if anyone outside of maybe Byrnes gave them a tough go of it and that is only because it is @ Byrnes infront of about 15-20,000 people.
Sorry, but Indy is not going to enjoy this one. Hardin will get out coached and the Pats will get out played.
Mallard Creek 49 Indy 14....and that's if Palmieri goes easy.

Indy's QB was a back up last year. He got all his reps against 2-9 East Meck last year. Their back up broke his collar bone at a camp last weekend. Had problems completing passes at a 7 on 7. He will play his 1st game against probably one of the best defenses in the Southeast on a Saturday Night at Memorial Stadium. MC by a bunch.

I don't expect to see Indy's new QB throw more than 10 or 15 passes in this game, so his experience is irrelevant. Hardin is going to line up behind his new oline and run right at MC. If they can extend some drives in doing so, then this will be a game. If not, well, not so much.

Either way, though, don't expect to see MC light up the scoreboard in this one. Butler - who led the state in scoring last year in the 4A ranks - couldn't crack 30 against the Patriot D. SEVEN different teams couldn't score AT ALL against the Patriot D last year. They led the state is scoring average for a reason, and it sure wasn't because they were in the habit of giving up 49 points on the scoreboard. In fact, Mallard Creek is known for their defensive prowess...but they've fielded a defense as good as that Patriot defense (9.8 pts/game) exactly twice in their history (2012...7.5 pts/game and 2010...8.9 pts/game). Butler has only fielded one defense that good (2012...8.5 pts/game). And neither team has ever posted seven shutouts in a season before like Indy did.

If Mallard Creek cracks 30 points in this one, I'll be seriously impressed. It will be more than any other offense has done in the last 2 years, and to predict that MC will score 49 is disrespecting and insulting the state's best defense for no good reason whatsoever (7-on-7 results don't qualify as a good reason).

Here are two other fun trivia facts for those of you who haven't been paying attention...the last time Mallard Creek scored more than 28 points in a season opener was way back in 2009. And they've NEVER scored more than 28 in any game they've ever played at Memorial Stadium.

What in the hell are you rambling about now?
Mr. Hokiemtc, what I was referring to is that Mallard Creek was suppose to have a game in August against Don Bosco Prep, a national power from New Jersey. That's what Coach P agreed to or at least talked about it 5 months prior or so....@ Mallard Creek

Is it not going to happen?

Last edited:
So what if Mallard Creek didn't score more than 28pts in Memorial Stadium in 2011 or 2014. What does that matter? This is 2015 those kids aren't going out there saying "Well we havent scored 28pts since 2009 in a season opener so we won't this year" no that's stupid.
This team is absolutely loaded I have not seen this much talent on one team since 2010 St Thomas Aquinas in Ft Lauderdale. That team won a national title.
MC 49 Indy 14
Hardin had like 30-35 kids on his team at Providence...wanna know why?
Cause half of the team freaking quit. He would run them to the point of literal exhaustion. This is coming from a player not me. No 4AA school should have just 30-35 players on their team unless theyre just terrible.
Will the same happen at Indy? I don't know, but I wish him luck trying to run that ball on the MC defense. That'll be funny to watch. I'll cut up with nepsy7 in the stands when they try that

Mr. Hokiemtc, what I was referring to is that Mallard Creek was suppose to have a game in August against Don Bosco Prep, a national power from New Jersey. That's what Coach P agreed to or at least talked about it 5 months prior or so....@ Mallard Creek

Is it not going to happen?

Oh. No, it's not going to happen because they never could get the arrangements to work out. Mallard Creek's first five are Indy at Memorial, Butler, @ Byrnes (SC), Garinger and McDonogh (MD).

So what if Mallard Creek didn't score more than 28pts in Memorial Stadium in 2011 or 2014. What does that matter? This is 2015 those kids aren't going out there saying "Well we havent scored 28pts since 2009 in a season opener so we won't this year" no that's stupid.
This team is absolutely loaded I have not seen this much talent on one team since 2010 St Thomas Aquinas in Ft Lauderdale. That team won a national title.
MC 49 Indy 14
Hardin had like 30-35 kids on his team at Providence...wanna know why?
Cause half of the team freaking quit. He would run them to the point of literal exhaustion. This is coming from a player not me. No 4AA school should have just 30-35 players on their team unless theyre just terrible.
Will the same happen at Indy? I don't know, but I wish him luck trying to run that ball on the MC defense. That'll be funny to watch. I'll cut up with nepsy7 in the stands when they try that

The past is the number one most important predictor of the future. It does matter. There's a reason nobody is picking Garinger to win the 4A title, and I'm telling you right now that Indy will be the best defense that MC has faced since 2012. There will be no 49 points, and if the Mallard Creek kids think they are going to waltz into Memorial and blow Indy out, then they probably won't win the game at all.

Mallard Creek is indeed loaded...with recruiting stars, but they've yet to prove themselves to be a dominant force on the field, and I've seen teams in my backyard recently that were just as loaded with talent with a LOT more dominance being shown on the field. MC did not go undefeated last year, barely held on to beat Lake Norman by 7 in the state semis, and honestly didn't look all that hot against WF in the finals. Being down by 27 to Hough at one point? Hanging on for dear life to win by 7 against Vance? Having to pull away very late against 6 loss Brown? If the injury situation happened to MC instead of happening to Butler, then there's a snowball's chance in Hades that MC even makes it out of the second round last year. That was NOT a dominant football team in any capacity, and I think you'll have a hard time finding too many Creek guys who would argue otherwise. Can they get there? Heck yeah, sure. Are they there right now? Ummm, no, not even close. Certainly not close enough that they'll roll Indy in the opener.

I agree with you about Hardin (and a couple of Indy guys I know have the same concerns), but the participation numbers don't usually drop at first. That comes later on.

Oh. No, it's not going to happen because they never could get the arrangements to work out. Mallard Creek's first five are Indy at Memorial, Butler, @ Byrnes (SC), Garinger and McDonogh (MD).
Next time dont come at me with that "What in the hell are you rambling about now?", without first checking your attitude...LOL

You thought it was S2V going about my usual self again didnt you...:)

Hokie, last seasons Mallard Creek team was pretty young with a number of tenth graders contributing big minutes in big games.
Mallard Creek is easily one of the best coached teams in the state with the addition of the Vance DC Tripp Stone who really should be a HC and I think another coach from Vance that only strengthens an already elite coaching staff.
I firmly believe Mallard Creek will be ready. Having talked with people close to the program and who have been close for years the coaches and players are all attacking this differently.
Obviously they have to prove themselves on the field, but I for one am "drinking the kool aid" because these guys are totally loaded. However, I just think they have the kind of talent that you only see once every 10-15 years there. The kids they have are ridiculous. I mean a couple of days ago they had a 6'7" 365lb SOPHOMORE show up.....SOPHOMORE!
The numbers game may not show right away, but midway through his first season it started to so that may not be a problem vs Mallard Creek. However, should they meet in the playoffs it may be a different story.

I agree with you that all bets are off for the playoffs, but I think Mallard Creek is in for some tough battles over the first month, and I think they will be doing extremely well to start out 5-0 at all, much less blowing out all 5 teams. There's just nothing that has happened so far with any of the kids on Mallard Creek's roster that would suggest that they have the capability of blowing out the better teams on their schedule. They sure as heck couldn't do it last year.

Next time dont come at me with that "What in the hell are you rambling about now?", without first checking your attitude...LOL

You thought it was S2V going about my usual self again didnt you...:)

I did...which is actually why I asked! I notice that no one else bothered to ask, LOL.

I agree. I think by the time the playoffs roll around that they will be a machine, and I think they are hands-down the favorite to threepeat this season. They have a ways to go, though, to get there. They need to buckle those chin straps tight, put their heads down and get to work getting better (because they need to), and above all else, avoid reading their newspaper clippings. If their kids think they're already there, then that first month is going to be one heck of a evil wake up call.

Last years MC team was loaded with a bunch of guys who played JV the year before. They could have easily lost 4 games. Josh Brown who was just invited to the US.Army All American game played JV with very limited action on Varsity the year before. The other LB Tharum Ingrum played OL the year before. They got the 2nd fastest kid in the state Cravont Charleston off the track team to play CB. One of the starting safeties played wr the year before the other one played JV. The 1500 yd rushing rb Chaucery Bowman played JV the year before. Replaced the entire DL last year. Only one returning starter played on the OL last year. That's the team that won the State Championship.

This year their all back. They will not start off slow. I can assure you if Indy only has a running game, they will be blown off the map. This team could put 28 points on you in one quarter. I was somewhat skeptical about last years team at the beginning of the year. Not this one. They are very quiet on the field, but very business like. They will not come out slow.

None of them are aware or care about any newspaper clipping. They are more concern about keeping their positions on the field.

Last years MC team was loaded with a bunch of guys who played JV the year before. They could have easily lost 4 games.

And this years MC team is loaded with a bunch of guys who could've easily lost 4 games last year. Honestly, they could've easily lost 5 games last year, not 4.

MC's first month will be a tour of champions. Two of the teams they'll play were both ranked above MC for much of 2014 in the polls (because one of them actually beat MC last season), one of those games will be played in a place where MC has never fared very well, there's a wildcard team visiting from Baltimore that who knows how they'll stack up against Charlotte football, and then there's a visit ON THE ROAD to a 10 time champion and national power from SC.

5-0? Yeah, maybe, but it will be tough. 5 blowouts? Hahahahaha...oh geez...I think I've heard it all now. There's going to be some awfully long faces in the MC stands for the next little while. That's what happens when you place unearned, undeserved and unrealistically high expectations on a bunch of 17 year olds.

Last edited:
My expectations are really irrelevant and have no baring on reality. 5 Blowouts? Who said that? I believe they will come out fast. That's it! If whomever their playing does not match the intensity. It will be a long night.

That's not unearned, undeserved and unrealistically high expectations. That's just one guys opinion. If I'm wrong they will be OK. It's not like their walking around with pressure from a Fan on a High School football thread...LOL!

5 Blowouts? Who said that?

Read the thread. It wasn't you, and I do think your definition of "starting fast" matches my definition of "starting fast"....and that doesn't necessarily mean 49 points on the scoreboard. If you play a proven champ and control the game from start to finish with no turnovers, very few penalties, crisp execution and excellent intensity throughout, then you have started fast in my eyes. Even if that only means a 14 point win.

The alternative scenario is that you could have 80 points on the scoreboard like Butler had 2 years ago in their opener, but look so sloppy and unfocused doing it that the coach was mad as hell and was benching people left and right.

The scoreboard mainly depends on the opponent, and MC only has one of those types of opponents in the first month.

Last edited:
Ill be checking out the preseason #2 Scots on Friday the 21st and the #1Creek on Saturday

If you're coming up, then we should get together and I'll introduce you to a bunch of the Creek regulars from the boards. And CatholicCougs14 will be there, too.

Why on the 22nd? Your Scots visit Indy the following week, right? You coming two weeks in a row?

Read the thread. It wasn't you, and I do think your definition of "starting fast" matches my definition of "starting fast"....and that doesn't necessarily mean 49 points on the scoreboard. If you play a proven champ and control the game from start to finish with no turnovers, very few penalties, crisp execution and excellent intensity throughout, then you have started fast in my eyes. Even if that only means a 14 or 21 point win.

Gotcha! I believe they will be better than 35 points the 1st game.

Last year was last year. Lets not forget Indy lost a ton as well, way more than MC. Starting 3 year QB more than half the starting back 7 including a very good safety who was a big part of what they did last year on D. I expect Indy to be very good on defense, maybe great. Bigger question for me is if they can sustain offense. If Colon and the Indy defense has to be on the field a ton on a very hot steamy night it could get ugly late.

The biggest question for me is what will the Tripp Stone defense look like. He is a different animal than Palmieri and I expect the defense to look and play much differently. I think your gonna see some 3-4 and I think your gonna see pressure coming from a lot of different places. He was hired for a reason and I think one of those reasons is because Palmieri wanted a different look. I think the strength of this defense will be in its flexibility and depth in the front 7. Lots of big kids that can run in Ingram, Allen, Smith, Brown, Moss, Gibson, Hampton and even Mines to a lesser degree. Look at some Vance tape from last year and you see a ton of different looks. It will be interesting to see what he does with this group .

Sometimes when you run the same stuff you can become predictable. Think this is gonna be more risk reward.

If you're coming up, then we should get together and I'll introduce you to a bunch of the Creek regulars from the boards. And CatholicCougs14 will be there, too.

Why on the 22nd? Your Scots visit Indy the following week, right? You coming two weeks in a row?
I'd love to show up and watch MC for once but that's a 2 1/2hr drive for me

It will be a good time had by all even if Mallard Creek doesn't put up 49 ;)

Hokie its a Saturday and Im not otherwise busy, why not come see the 2nd best team in the state..
10-4 Catholic Cougs
Maybe we'll see an upset then week 2 would have even more meaning..hehe
S2v maybe youll be hoping for 4 wins and scrapping into the playoffs

I expect Indy to be very good on defense, maybe great. Bigger question for me is if they can sustain offense.

I think they are going to be hurting on offense for a while. New faces, new schemes, and traditionally run-heavy new coach. The offense is why I don't think they can beat Mallard Creek or Scotland either one, but I'm guessing the Indy defense is going to put on a show in both games. I'll be shocked if Indy wins either game, but I'll also be shocked if either one gets out of hand in the other direction. Seven shutouts is no joke, no matter what level of football you're talking about. Those guys just aren't going to get much help from the other two units for a while, and you can't be one dimensional and beat Mallard Creek or Scotland either one.

Hokie its a Saturday and Im not otherwise busy, why not come see the 2nd best team in the state..
10-4 Catholic Cougs

Have you ever seen a game in Memorial Stadium before? Two top 10 teams going at it under the Charlotte skyline is about as good as it gets in this state. Richmond has played at Memorial so many times that they have permanently reserved parking spots, but I don't recall the Scots ever playing a game there before? I know our 2004 playoff game was played on Butler's field and not uptown.

Have you ever seen a game in Memorial Stadium before? Two top 10 teams going at it under the Charlotte skyline is about as good as it gets in this state. Richmond has played at Memorial so many times that they have permanently reserved parking spots, but I don't recall the Scots ever playing a game there before? I know our 2004 playoff game was played on Butler's field and not uptown.
SOUNDS LIKE A BIG DEAL.......wish I could be there

Common denominator in beating Mallard Creek has been the signal caller. Ratliff, Fergesun, Summers all Division 1 recruits. All had different ways to beat you but all were mobile, big arms and very experienced seniors. All 3 playmakers.

Have a ton of respect for Hardin and the job he did at Providence. Well coached teams and a great in game adjuster. Looking forward to the chess match as much as a field loaded with athletic talent.

I have made as much out of the memorial stadium deal as anyone but I think it may be an advantage this time around. LJ and most of the team have played under the lights and the skyline. Awful lot of pressure on the Indy kid for an opening night but I think Hardin coaches his best when he has little to loose.

Last years Mallard Creek team was a good one, not a great one. Very beatable for 10 to 15 minute stretches and then would look great the next two quarters especially on defense. 2nd half against Hough, Vance really the whole game, 2nd half in the title game they played lights out. 2nd half against Lake Norman and first half against Hough not so much. Lot of youth, lot of kids playing new positions. Not many teams have only 2 starters from the previous team return on defense and win a title. 2010 Butler was like that in many ways.

If 2013 was all about Samuels and the defense, 2014 was all about Palmieiri and the coaching staff. Some great half time adjustments and very cool under fire. They don't beat Hough last year with Brand on the sideline. Love his intensity but simply to mercurial in those situations. Cox much more level headed.

10-4 Catholic Cougs
Would love to meet you. I'll be at Butler/Mallard Creek week 2 since Catholic has no game. I need to catch a Scotland game though.

Hokie have seen several high school games at Memorial. Im a fan, I travel off weeks and when
time is there to see other games. Less so since 2011 with Scotland going deep consistently.Oh
that night Richmond shanked the field goal playing Indy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT