ADVERTISEMENT

how do playoffs work this year?

KW23

Feb 9, 2011
I know its early but didn't I see somewhere where there is no more regional sites just higher seeds host all games?

I believe there is still regional sites. I was told the regionals will be in Winston Salem. Higher seeds do host and there are no more Pods for 1a. Another change that was made is the first 3 rounds will be on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday which I personally like.

See the link. Lists first three rounds as Feb. 24, 26, and 28. Which are a tuesday, a thursday, and a saturday. It makes a lot more sense to do it that way, IMO. Time to actually prepare for your first round opponent, plus less time out of class with the Saturday travel.

NCHSAA Basketball

Never did make sense to me the way it was in the old days. Finish ur tourney on Friday, find out ur opponent whether home or away on Saturday and scramble to make plans to be where you need to be. The good thing about basketball as opposed to football is that you could win a State Championship and only miss 2 extra weeks of baseball. The whole situation with football is crazy. I would love to see that shortened by 1 week which you could do by reducing the field in half, and at least in 1A I do not think you would be leaving out any state championship contenders.

I think the 1A boys State tourney will be fantastic this year. There are a lot of quality teams.

The pods are no longer in any classification. So the love from the 1a Midwest pod on the girls side will be spread out this year lol. And the 1a boys and girls are wide open this year. It will be interesting. A lot of charters from last year have all the sudden become very competitive. So it will be a very competitive tournament.

From that link it says pods are still in place ? I heard they weren't either. What gives. I hope it's not. I'm not sure you give the smc boys enough credit this year.

Hey Braves I think what is confusing you is that there is still 2014 information on the site. I saw the same thing and got confused until I realized that it was the format that was used in the spring of 2014 and the new format has not formally been posted. The NCHSAA did however make that decision that pods are gone. I don't know if it is for good or not, but they will not be used this year.

On the boys side, I am not sure that it would have made as much difference this year, as there appears to be some really good teams in the West this year with Robbinsville, Hayesville, Cherokee, Starmount, and of course my Alleghany Trojans all appearing to be very good 1A basketball teams. I am having trouble figuring out the Southern Piedmont conference, because the team that I figured would be the strongest has started 0-3. This could mean that there has been noticeable improvement by last years mid pack teams.

Don't sleep on Avery. Preseason they were ranked high and have since dropped off the map. But they started the year without 3 starters and have played larger schools with good teams very tough (Freedom, RS Central, East Burke, Watauga, Smoky Mountain, etc.)

Who knows if they will make the same run or not, but they may be better than last year even though their current record shows otherwise.

Don't sleep on Albemarle. I don't see them losing so they will be looking at the overall 1 seed which means the first 3rds would come through Albemarle. This team is better than last year and very explosive. The girls have been dealing with a lot of injuries and are just now getting healthy so we should see what they are like but they look to be a very good team.

Both boys and girls have a lot of good teams it should be awesome.

This Avery team is better than last years team. Avery should roll through the WHC regular season and conference tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT