ADVERTISEMENT

High School OT projections for playoffs

Just noticed one possible mistake they list Starmount as a 2nd seed automatic qualifier under I assume the rule.."6+ teams = 2 Berths (Conference Champion and Second Place or Conference Tournament Champion)"
Thing is they have Mtn Heritage as a wildcard even though they will be the second place team in a 6+ conference. I realize it's a split conference but they will be 2nd overall not just 1A and I don't see anything that distinguishes between a one classification conference and a split conference in this scenario.

Just noticed one possible mistake they list Starmount as a 2nd seed automatic qualifier under I assume the rule.."6+ teams = 2 Berths (Conference Champion and Second Place or Conference Tournament Champion)"
Thing is they have Mtn Heritage as a wildcard even though they will be the second place team in a 6+ conference. I realize it's a split conference but they will be 2nd overall not just 1A and I don't see anything that distinguishes between a one classification conference and a split conference in this scenario.
Yeah MH definitely should get a 2 seed out of the league they deserve it

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
2 seeds and wildcards are lumped together and seeded by RPI….so…it doesn’t really matter….that’s my understanding.
True just curious why the had Starmount listed as a 2nd seed and MH as wildcard bit like you say it doesn't really matter in the seeding because right now Starmount RPI is higher anyway.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I think starmount will drop bc they will lose to EW Friday imo.

This where you get seated still bugs me. In the other classifications they have around 50 teams some ,54 teams so the .500 and/or thing seems to have a purpose were you'll have automatic qualiters and wildcards and it to me seems to be dealing with wether or not you get in the playoffs while in one 1A all but two will.
But the NCHSAA put out two releases on the playoffs seeding what's in the handbook where you see the ".500 and/or" and another on simply on the playoffs and putting them together I'm still not certain teams like Thomas Jefferson will be seated with teams that won their whole conference. If not at currently #8 in the RPI I believe they might be seated lower then on this prediction. It will be interesting to see Saturday which way the rules actually goes because they haven't been very clear on it, at least to me. Here's the two put together.....

2021-2022 NCHSAA Team Sport
Contest Limitations, Playoff, and Seeding Format..............
Conference champions will be seeded before any other qualifying teams by RPI rating
• All other teams will be seeded after the conference champions by RPI rating of the school, regardless of conference finish....

Handbook...........
Seed all 1st place automatic berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).
NOTE: The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher in order to be seeded as a #1. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams.

I'd bet they put TJ as a champ. Lol
Well that's been the discussion around the playoffs seeding wether or not being the 1st place team in your classification in a split conference qualifies you to be seated first no matter your RPI the same as a team who wins a conference that has only one classification. Apparently this OT prediction goes with the as long as your 1st in your classification having seated TJ above teams with higher RPI's.

Last edited:
2 seeds and wildcards are lumped together and seeded by RPI….so…it doesn’t really matter….that’s my understanding.
Ah gotcha appreciate it. Not sure why I would think a no. 2 would be higher than wildcards😏 After all it is the NCHSAA

There are several 1 win 2 win and even 4 in the East and 1 in the West winless teams that can go to the playoffs.
So the question is how many if any will choose to opt out and just have team pizza night instead?

Reactions: Griddie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT