ADVERTISEMENT

High School Fencing

Cmon Sportsnut17 you know I got into this thread because I am a smart###.

Read some of my other posts.

Did follow link though. Interesting stuff on a sport I know little about.

Cmon Sportsnut17 you know I got into this thread because I am a smart###.

Read some of my other posts.

Did follow link though. Interesting stuff on a sport I know little about.
Did not, can't wait to hear back from Mr. GSO. It has been a fun thread. I would say Mr GSO, you and myself are the only people that has enjoyed it.

The coach of the Stockholm Fence Busters told me one morning at fencing practice as a group of hungover fencers stood adjacent to the Fencing Circle, " Hey, gringo, fencin' is what we professional fencers call a " smart " sport, " holding up two pair of fangers to accentuate the word " smart ", only having seven of them due to previous fencing bouts. "Ain't no damn dumbasses in fencin', " he snarled , as my Swedish interpreter, Gabriella, a lady that I'd brang diamond rangs and thangs to her door, setting them gently in the milk delivery box beside her back door , interpreted. She taught me such various Swedish phrases such as, " Why don't we go to your sister's house, Gabriella, and drank some of the likker in her cabinet , " or such inquires such as, " Yes, I'm a big shot professional fencer with four pockets slam full of currency " when in actuality the fencing league was equivalent to low A ball in baseball, or such phrases as " How much y'all sell Budweisers for up in here, " learning this phrase for late night thirst desires, or food phrases such as the following request, " Where is a dining establishment that serves freshly picked collards ? " I found out as soon as collards were mentioned, her love juices filled quicker than a five gallon bucket using a fire truck's hose.

Last edited:
The North American Fencing Federation Board of Directors humbly thank fans such as Mister Sports Nut One Seven, Mister Kidd, and Ms. King for your everlasting, undying, and insatiable intrinsical and extrinsical desire for amateur and professional fencin'. If not for fans such as the three mentioned, the NAFF would be 'asettin' on the same couch as the defunked USFL, scratchin' they arses and wondering where all the currency vanished.
P.S. Thank you again, Mister Sports Nut Seventeen, for providing unblemished and unbiased scores and highlights of the European Fencing League. Watching those highlights you posted, Mister Sports Nut, commenced feelings of hope, prosperity and anticipation to those professional and semi-professional lurkers that may not want to post, but are reading all the above information, soaking it in similar to a sponge in an overflowing gutter spout. This selection is dedicated to the too shy, reserved, or maybe they just had enough of the never ending chaos professional fencing provides , desiring to anonymously gather their fencing information from informative threads such as this thread... This next selection is dedicated to you - the ex professional fencer..

Last edited:
Every semi-professional fencer, at one time or another, has had an autograph seeker , a matrimony seeking groupie, or a laundry mat attendant inquire of this inquisitive inquiry, " From where did the term " double-edged sword " originate ? " It originated one evening in the arena of the Liverpool Lungers ( named after the infamous fencing move, the lunge, this move taking place when one fencer runs with all the velocity in their intrinsical being , sword 'aswangin' above their head, basically a kamikaze type maneuver ) , and back in the day, the dude that ran wide open toward their opponent had that sword thang sharpened on both sides, sprinting kamikaze like toward their unsuspecting opponent , hence the term, double-edged sword. This maneuver was in the same genre as thirteen players on the gridiron, seven players on the basketball court, or ten men on the baseball diamond, in other words, it was a form of what they now call rules infractions. The lunger would be similar to one of them mud soaked dudes at the outside music concert jumpin' in one of them Slosh Pits with a gallon of gasoline and a lighted cigarette, while Purple Haze played rhythmically in his cranium wiring.

Viewing the Country Music Awards this evening to expand the musical genre expansion, it was refreshing to see Joe Walsh, an ardent fencing fan, disperse the Country Entertainer of the Year Award to Jason Bodine , Jethro's and Elie Mae's second or third cousin.

Well, it's almost September, the prime month for recruitment in the PFA, or the Professional Fencing Association for those poor souls not involved in the semi addictive genre of professional fencing .

Reactions: thekidd12
Well, it's almost September, the prime month for recruitment in the PFA, or the Professional Fencing Association for those poor souls not involved in the semi addictive genre of professional fencing .
Does the PFA have a novice category?

I have been practicing a lot with Nerf pool noodles while watching Errol Flynn movie marathons on the Netflix.

Ain't ready for the big boys yet but usually can beat my wife on points...

Let me know.

It appears the major majority of fencin' fans are from the Triad region of North Carolina, which is one major reason for the birth of the newly formed Triad Thrusters. The Thrusters will begin play October 20th at a site to be determined, which means they presently ain't found any venues for the fencin' bouts. The Thrusters may wind up doin' the fencin' thang in a vacant lot in Greensboro for a season or two until some advertising currency can be located. Word on the street says The Thrusters have no fencers, but a carnival type tent will be set up in an abandoned parking lot where tryouts will be held next Saturday at a site to be determined by The Thrusters Board of " Trustees. " If you and your family are interested in some" clowns come to town " type entertainment, load up your VW van and attend a few bouts this season, and a C note says that when you leave the fencin' venue, provided one is located, that this'll be the most happy you've been and the jubilation will be matched only by your matrimonial event.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Thank you, Ms. King, for providing a forum where ex-major league fencing superstars will have a place to vent, share stories of climbing the ladder of the ever brutal world of big time fencing, and recalling and reminiscing concerning the day they hit The Show.
GSO,
When the so said SHACK was taken away a few years back, I thought It was the end of the world. I never once looked back like a goat looks at it's rear end. Not once, GSO, not once did I bother to peak for a new adventure floor. Maybe, just maybe you sent me a hint, but I never caught it. The Forum says "Open Sports Discussion", meaning---> open season. Perhaps, just perhaps this is a better and safe place to "VENT".

Would you agree Ms. King?

I dont need no Civil War

Last edited:
On behalf of the North American Fencing Federation, we're slangin' out the red carpet to Bulldogs Follower, the gentleman from the suburbs of Abemarle , and Governor Purnell for joining the fencing extravaganza . It's not required by the American Fencing Board of Directors that you present your essay titled, " My Most Enjoyable Fencing Bout, " but it would be certainly appreciated, cherished, and they will be framed and put on the walls of the Fencing Hall of Fame, which is located in Macon, Georgia. Please don't disappoint, dissipate, or dilute the throngs of fencing enthusiasts that await at least a composite review of your favorite fencing adventure. Maybe your favorite fencing memory took place after the event at the five hundred keg Fencin' Parry. Don't leave the fencin' fans out in left field.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Sword fighting and duels
Swordplay has been practised for thousands of years, as evidenced by carvings depicting fencers found in a temple near Luxor dating from around 1190 BC. From the 16th to the 18th century, duels were common, with combatants using a variety of weapons including quarterstaffs and backswords. Such bouts were bloody and occasionally fatal.

Birth of the sport
Fencing began the move from a form of military training to a sport in either the 14th or 15th century. Both Italy and Germany lay claim to its origins, with German fencing masters organising the first guilds in the 15th century, the most notable being the Marxbruder of Frankfurt, formed in 1478.

Rules of the game
Three innovations in the 17th and 18th century led to the popularity of fencing as a sport: the “foil” – a weapon with a flattened tip; a set of rules governing the target area; and the wire-mesh mask. Together, these developments ensured the safety of fencing’s participants.

Olympic history
Fencing was included for the first time at the 1896 Games in Athens, and has remained on the Olympic programme since then. The women’s fencing competition entered the Games in 1924 in Paris. Today, men and women compete in individual and team events, in which three types of weapon are used: foil, epee and sabre. The foil was, at first, the only weapon used by women, until the 1996 Games in Atlanta, when women’s epee was introduced. Women’s sabre appeared for the first time on the Olympic programme in Athens in 2004.

Among the figures who have marked this sport, Italy’s Nedo Nadi is the only fencer to have won a medal in every weapon in a single edition of the Games. In 1912, at the age of 18, he won in the foil. Then, after being decorated by his country for acts of bravery during the First World War, he won five gold medals in Antwerp in 1920, a historic and unequalled record: in the individual foil and sabre events, and in the team foil, epee and sabre events.

Neil Diamond attended New York University on a fencing scholarship, supposedly composing the following selection, " Shiloh, " a tune that is named after the fencing maneuver The Shy Low, a move in which the fencing competitor acts all shy, then slashes his or her opponent in the ankle region, thus the moniker of the fencing maneuver and also the tune by Neil " Shy Low " Diamond..
▶ 4:09

Reactions: thekidd12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT