ADVERTISEMENT

High School Fencing

GSO-Triple5

Dec 5, 2010
Greensboro, N.C.
New Jersey is the hotbed for high school fencing, with Georgia also having participants in this intriguing , hospitable, and exciting sport. East Chapel Hill High School, along with a handful of other institutions , have had slash have fencing squads for participation in this interesting, perplexing, and exotic sport. Being out of the loop in the fencing world for a few years, I was hoping for some input slash feedback concerning fencing, possibly the next " boom " sport. If you'd care to share your most enjoyable experience while attending a fencing event, or if you've had the pleasure of participating in fencing, there are throngs of wannabe fencers, including said scribe, that would love to read your personal experience in fencing, the next " boom " sport in the Southeastern United States. Thanks in advance for your participation in this Fencing Extravaganza.

We've discovered, Ms. King, we've discovered here at Tina and Toni's Trailer Park a newly discovered sport called " Curtain Rod Fencing, " a sport that was invented to utilize the curtain rods in one's house or mobile home.

Before escaping the grueling and somewhat addictive world of semi-professional fencing, memories of extended Greyhound bus adventures, attempting to find a place to stash that damn sword , or whatever they call it, the throngs of scantily clad groupies that waited patiently at the VW van for a glimpse or photo of their fencing heroes, the late night waffles and scrambled hash browns at some off beat joint with Sanitation Grades of C or D, the stunning and exciting performances at junior varsity basketball events, but I most remember LuAnn " Longthroat " Mooncharm, a Georgia maiden that could swaller her fencing apparatus, later landing a gig with Sword Swallers Of America, equivalent to being a starting running back for the New England Patriots or the closer for the Chicago Cubs.
P.S. If by chance you're reading this, Ms. Mooncharm, please give me a ring on the telephone.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Thank you, Ms. King, for providing a forum where ex-major league fencing superstars will have a place to vent, share stories of climbing the ladder of the ever brutal world of big time fencing, and recalling and reminiscing concerning the day they hit The Show.

GSO-Triple5

Did you compete in high tensile or woven wire?

Or were you in the old school barbed wire division?

I need to stop this...

Down our way to get into fencing you have to take ag classes?

Also a Tractor Supply credit card comes in handy.
When reading your essay, Mister Kidd, when reading the part concerning the ever popular " ag classes " , an infinite numeral of extreme proportions tickled the cranium wiring, although at the school I attended it was known as Advanced Goating. I fondly remember a fellow classmate donning a goat outfit he purchased at Halloween Is Us, actually lapping a house fly offen a blade of grass containing morning dew.

Reactions: thekidd12
Mr. GSO,

From Bishop McGuiness twitter page:

Varsity Men's Épée Fencing Team 1ST in state! Men's Foil Team finished 3rd. The Women's Foil Team, despite being shorthanded, placed 7th.

Mr. GSO,

Varsity Men's Épée Fencing Team 1ST in state! Men's Foil Team finished 3rd. The Women's Foil Team, despite being shorthanded, placed 7th.
Thought "epis" had become so expensive no one could use anything besides Benadryl now?

And shorthanded women's foil team?

Walmart out of Reynolds Wrap?

I got to stay out of this thread...

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Thought "epis" had become so expensive no one could use anything besides Benadryl now?

And shorthanded women's foil team?

Walmart out of Reynolds Wrap?

I got to stay out of this thread...
None of it meant anything to me, but thought I would post it.

None of it meant anything to me, but thought I would post it.
It's OK Sportsnut17. I googled some fencing terms to help us both out.

Apparently a fencing "bout" has lots of words that may come into play, many of them french in origin so we ain't paying much attention to'

In just one encounter contestants could possibly have:

An En garde

An Advance

An Engagement

An Attack

A Counter-parry

A Lunge

and A Thrust.

Man you won't believe the videos I "accidentally" stumbled upon while looking all those words up together.

Took me almost 2 hours to weed through them.

Seriously baseball needs to start to get me away from trolling this thread...

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Seriously baseball needs to start to get me away from trolling this thread...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the fencing update, can't wait for Mr GSO to come back and do some explaining. And HS baseball officially starts tomorrow, even though it never really stopped at most HS. Let me rephrase that not only does baseball not stop, no other HS sports does anymore. The 3 sport letterman is almost extinct.

Seriously baseball needs to start to get me away from trolling this thread...

Thanks for the fencing update, can't wait for Mr GSO to come back and do some explaining. And HS baseball officially starts tomorrow, even though it never really stopped at most HS. Let me rephrase that not only does baseball not stop, no other HS sports does anymore. The 3 sport letterman is almost extinct.[/QUOTE]

You are right but let me do a little humble bragging.

My youngest, a junior, is going to have to wait until after basketball finishes to begin baseball practice, a sport in which he was a starter at ss in his sophomore season. If all goes as expected he should do well again this spring as it is his best of the 3 he plays. He also was a WR/LB on the football team.

So glad he has chosen to play all three in HS. I think partly because he has played travel baseball for many years,even playing some showcase ball this past fall, and realizes that by taking some time off, no matter how short, he can come back to the sport charged up when time rolls around.

Wow that was a "little" bragging?

Thanks for the fencing update, can't wait for Mr GSO to come back and do some explaining. And HS baseball officially starts tomorrow, even though it never really stopped at most HS. Let me rephrase that not only does baseball not stop, no other HS sports does anymore. The 3 sport letterman is almost extinct.

My youngest, a junior, is going to have to wait until after basketball finishes to begin baseball practice, a sport in which he was a starter at ss in his sophomore season. If all goes as expected he should do well again this spring as it is his best of the 3 he plays. He also was a WR/LB on the football team.

So glad he has chosen to play all three in HS. I think partly because he has played travel baseball for many years,even playing some showcase ball this past fall, and realizes that by taking some time off, no matter how short, he can come back to the sport charged up when time rolls around.

Wow that was a "little" bragging?[/QUOTE]
I like hearing those stories and bragging is what Dad's are suppose to do.

Being an ex shade tree professional fencer, I'm more than happy, joyful, and peaceful spirited to explain the thrilling, captivating, and invigorating rules, regulations , and inside info to the best of one's intrinsical and extriniscial capabilities.When the two fencers meet at the middle of the fencing circle, or whatever they call it, then both fencers say simultaneously, " On guard, " which is usually followed by a few choice curse words, then they proceed in swangin' them swords here and yon. The next fencing term Mister Kidd inquired about was advancing and engaging. When you walk into the Fencing Circle, you are on what we professionals call the advance. When the fencing bout is officially under way, we call this the engaging stage. The next term, counter parry , takes place when one has been asked to exit the after hours party, causing the party goers to announce, " To hell with this parry, let's go to the counter parry. " A lunge is when a fencer takes his or her sword and lunges at his or her opponent, causing the other opponent to thrust, mainly to get outten the way as not get stabbed or cut with that sword thang.

Me too!!!

Sounds exactly like them videos I came across on the internet.

You can actually watch people do that live?

God Bless America...

Wow that was a "little" bragging?
[/QUOTE] I like hearing those stories and bragging is what Dad's are suppose to do.[/QUOTE]

Well then I forgot one other thing I should have included my son also began his junior year tied for number one in his class.

Not bad for a boy playing football,basketball and baseball.

Now that bragging was not meant to be humble.

Being an ex shade tree professional fencer, I'm more than happy, joyful, and peaceful spirited to explain the thrilling, captivating, and invigorating rules, regulations , and inside info to the best of one's intrinsical and extriniscial capabilities.When the two fencers meet at the middle of the fencing circle, or whatever they call it, then both fencers say simultaneously, " On guard, " which is usually followed by a few choice curse words, then they proceed in swangin' them swords here and yon. The next fencing term Mister Kidd inquired about was advancing and engaging. When you walk into the Fencing Circle, you are on what we professionals call the advance. When the fencing bout is officially under way, we call this the engaging stage. The next term, counter parry , takes place when one has been asked to exit the after hours party, causing the party goers to announce, " To hell with this parry, let's go to the counter parry. " A lunge is when a fencer takes his or her sword and lunges at his or her opponent, causing the other opponent to thrust, mainly to get outten the way as not get stabbed or cut with that sword thang.
GSO-Triple5

Thank you sir for the definitions of the terms and also for "dumbing them down" for the uninitiated such as myself. Like I said my appreciation of this sport has grown by leaps and bounds, especially since the titillating results of my web search of these terms.

Also a shout out for the use of visual effects in your posts which include some OG longhair shots from the bands of my youth. OK I still listen to most of them. No good music has been made since 1985 anyway.

When I was just a youngster, my family would gather around the black and white television set , aluminum foil gracing the rabbit ears, when Howard Cosell would remark, " Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for Friday Night Fencing. " My oldest sister, who was in high school at this time, would be sittin' there with toilet paper betwixt her toes whur she'd painted them up so she and the mucho foxarama girl that lived three houses down the street would go ridin' around, or whatever they did. But when The Fencing Bout Of The Week would come on the television set, we were suddenly on the same page, both intensely focused on the fencing action and MIster Cosell's description of the bout. As the years wore on, some of her other friends would seem to drop by for Friday Night Fencing, and as more years wore on, we all would go out and parry. Sometimes, after our age gap had seemingly decreased, we would parry for three or four days at a whack, jumbled up similar to Memphis Soul Stew.. So, thank you, to whomever is responsible for bringing the North American Professional Fencing Association and Friday Night At The Fencing Bout to the forefront once again..

When I was just a youngster, my family would gather around the black and white television set , aluminum foil gracing the rabbit ears, when Howard Cosell would remark, " Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for Friday Night Fencing. " My oldest sister, who was in high school at this time, would be sittin' there with toilet paper betwixt her toes whur she'd painted them up so she and the mucho foxarama girl that lived three houses down the street would go ridin' around, or whatever they did. But when The Fencing Bout Of The Week would come on the television set, we were suddenly on the same page, both intensely focused on the fencing action and MIster Cosell's description of the bout. As the years wore on, some of her other friends would seem to drop by for Friday Night Fencing, and as more years wore on, we all would go out and parry. Sometimes, after our age gap had seemingly decreased, we would parry for three or four days at a whack, jumbled up similar to Memphis Soul Stew.. So, thank you, to whomever is responsible for bringing the North American Professional Fencing Association and Friday Night At The Fencing Bout to the forefront once again..

An Allman Brothers performance I truly have never seen or heard. Thanks for sharing Mr. GSO!

After the Love Valley gig in nineteen and seventy, Mister Sports Nut, Mister Betts frequented the area quite frequently, even purchasing a house there, actually writing " Blue Sky " while residing in Love Valley , named after his then girlfriend, Sandy " Blue Sky " Wabegijig.

I have heard stories of Love Valley but that was just a shade before my time. I was only 7 years old in 1970. Most were recounted through somewhat hazy recollections so to hear some that may be a little more lucid is very interesting.

Who said fencing was boring? Not I.

However don't those outfits make the competitors look a little like maniacal beekeepers?

Last edited:
As the original poster remarked in his second sentence, Mister Kidd, the co-educational fencing on the professional level can be rather exotic, starting from the early days when the sport was known as " Fightin' With Swords, " later changed to fencing when Buster Fencer and his wife, Anna Cherry ( she always kept her maiden name because she thought the last name Fencer sounded wino-ish ) would sit on the front porch of their Mississippi mobile home lodging facility and swat hell outten 'skeeters and the infamous flyin' Palmetto Bug, using tobacco sticks to accomplish this accomplished accomplishment . Soon, other members of the trailer park would join in, eventually using jumper cables tied on a broom stick for their fencing sword. There's a whole lot of stuff that happened in betwixt the formation of fencing and presently , but that's a quick synopsis of the fastest growing sport in the United States, fencing, the sport enticing mystical , magical, and hypnotic dreams to any individual that's ever donned a Fencin' Suit and one of them densely woven mask thangs, or whatever they call 'em.

Probably the most satisfying aspect of professional fencing would be the co-eds that chose fencing as their temporary profession. They were a free spirited group which loved to explore the taverns in various locations around the Midwestern United States, and during the off season, most would sign with a squad that was based in Europe, competing in a twelve team league with teams from France, Spain, Italy, and the United Kingdom. The fencing playoffs were similar to a World Cup Kickball Championship on a double dose of steroids, fans going absolutely berserk as soon as they'd yell that " on guard " thang. Then there were the fencing groupies that follered the fencing participants around like ticks on an antelope's ass.

Their swords were sharpened and coiled as the fencers wore aluminum foil
Resembling fonky creatures from outer space
Both fencers loudly shouted " on guard, " as the stadium seats seemingly jarred
Empty Bud cans scattered all over the place.

Next to the keg sat Ms. Mooncharm smokin' Camels and dranken Boone's Farm
Her lips wore an erotic type pout
" Ain't nobody gettin' in my damn draws, " her lips tightened ditto her jaws
" I'm up in here to witness this here fencin' bout."

The first fencer slowly started to advance as the opponent crouched in their fancy fencing stance
Better known as a lunge or attack.
The engagement lasted almost an hour, the participants presenting their lightening quick power
Some patrons enjoyed Coke and Jack Black.

The lunge and thrusts were nearly complete as fencing fans hit the bright city street
The moonlit sky was mucho el starry.
Ms. Mooncharm shyly crouched in the darkened corner as she wooed Arizona State's Bob Horner
It was now time for the after bout parry.

Last edited:
Mr. GSO,

Thanks, Mister Sports Nut, for providing an update of the Villains fencing bout. It's extremely difficult, especially emotionally, searching for European fencing scores every Saturday and Sunday morning and not being able to find one score of one fencing bout. I do hope you'll keep all the fencing fanatics up in here notified of any movement in the European Fencing Federation. Again, Mister Sports Nut , thank you for your fencing scores, and I hope you and yours are well.

This next selection is dedicated to the Board of Directors , Chief Operation Officers, Currency Counters , and the infamous Anti-Common Sense Committee for making the United States Fencing League damn near extinct. I hope you sons of beaches are happy.

This next selection is dedicated to the Board of Directors , Chief Operation Officers, Currency Counters , and the infamous Anti-Common Sense Committee for making the United States Fencing League damn near extinct. I hope you sons of beaches are happy.
Mr. GSO, I will admit I know little or nothing about fencing, but I do enjoy your music selections to go along with your post!!

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
With the North American Fencing League playoffs looming this weekend, things may get a tad testy if a certain two teams reach the Final Fencing Bout. Those two particular teams may not even make it to the Final Fencing Bout, which is equivalent to football's Super Bowl or baseball's game seven of the World Series, but if those two do make it to the Final Fencin' Bout, the event could shatter an all time viewer rating for professional fencing . Every time my intoxicated uncle's fencin' team wins, he calls over here talkin' all his big time fencin' jabber, usually disguised by his pseudo French accent, spillin' more wine than he's consuming.

A marvelous time was had by all patrons at the annual Fencin' Super Bowl, as hundreds of thousands fencing fanatics showed up wearing fencin' garb only seen on chain gangs, sheep herders, and illegal merchandise handlers. Parries were held all over the city, as the women folk were 'aslangin' them beads and blowin' them party thangs that make a duck soundin' noise, the watering holes overflowied with passengers, the bathtub gin flowing more frequently than an Italian water fountain at one of them fancy Paris museums , making this year's Super Bowl Of Fencing one that fencing fans and parrie goers will not soon forget.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Good luck to your son and the Eastern Randolph baseball squad, Mister Kidd.
P.S. Also a great big shout out and Congratulations to the Bishop McGuiness fencing squad for winning all the fencing bouts, especially to the Teepee squad, a squad that captured first place, I think, but wouldn't swear to this particular statement.

I thank thee GSO-Triple5 for both the well wishes placed on my son,as well as his team, and the entertainment that has been provided on following you down this perplexing rabbit hole of both professional and amateur fencing.

It has been a fascinating yet enigmatic experience that has lifted my spirits in surprising ways at a time that such was needed.

You sir are an entertaining and imaginative man, who like myself, has a slightly askew view on many subjects.

Again I thank you for the voyage and perhaps in the future you will allow me to perhaps hitch a ride on yet another journey.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
In your previous essay, Mister Kidd, you subliminally mentioned minor league fencing, a subject that is dear to many here in the mobile home park. A bunch of us were sittin' around the cement pond last summer when suddenly Doris " Darlene " Skinner mentioned she used to swang them fencin' sword apparatuses around in high level competition. As the interested swimmers and sunbathers commenced to firin' questions toward Ms. Skinner, it was perplexing to hear the inquisitive inquires they fired in her vicinity. As the humid Greensboro afternoon wore its way to the reddish hue of sunset, there appeared toward the southwest sky a cloud blacker than a West Virginia coal mine entrance. The wind blew so hard , it sounded similar to an Amtrak train as it breezes down Main Street in Mebane. Evidently, the likker and medication kicked in for Ms. Skinner about this time, because when a big ass oak tree limb fell into the cement pond, she jumped into the pool, hair curlers and all, and fetched that limb like it was made of C notes, or something similar to that particular equality of monetary value.. She pulled herself outten the cement pond, sisters ploppin' here and yon because the tree limb had knocked her bathing attire out of whack, which in turn knocked one of her sisters slap outten her bikini style swimming slash bathing attire. Long story short, she stomped hell outten one of them limbs and made a facsimile of a sword, and commenced to go into all that on guard, attack, thrust, and all that other stuff. This was long before all this camera phone, goody goody, la de da BS, but I would have love to have had that on some kind of recording device to slap in up on YouTwo, FaceLook , or Snip Chat for monetary gain , but I agree that one could , if one so desires to express themselves, especially when it comes to fencin' , one could strike up a conversation concerning the perplexing sport of fencing, and most of the time fall outten the warshtub smellin' like a rose of Cimarron when engaged in this type conversation, especially if one has been involved in semi-professional fencin'...

Last edited:
,Unless one has been involved in the bizarro world of upper level management in the Professional League Of Fencin', one would have no idea of what goes on in the recruiting wars for top notch fencers. It's not unusual for a fencin' recruiter to be in Oslo, Norway one night, and some one horse town in Switzerland the next. The language barrier can be quite distracting, along with the extra potent adult beverages and the ultra foxy chicks from Norway, Finland, and Sweden, each country presenting its distinct version of rhythm and blues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT