ADVERTISEMENT

HIGH POINT ANDREWS COACH

It makes perfect sense champ!

You have the wealthiest whites in HP Central and SW Guilford district and they don't want their schools to be "too black." As such this bullshit started in the early 2000's when they redistricted and took the middle core of Andrews white student population in the Johnson Street, 68 and Deep River area and split them between Central and SW Guilford. These were the core middle class kids of that school. During this time you've seen a drastic improvement in SW Guilford athletics overall especially in the revenue sports of basketball and football, while you've seen a drastic improvement in the Olympic sports at central like baseball for example. That's no coincidence. Kids from my old neighborhood that had generations go to Andrews have flipped between SW and now are in Centeal district. Ed Price who is a legend in High Point for all he's done for kids had all of his kids attend Andrews, never moved, and became HP Centrals school board rep because thats the district in which he lived. Literally 1 exit up from where kids would get off to to go Andrews but drive all the way across town to go to Central. Hell for a short period before it became too obvious, a portion of McGuinn, the street which Andrews is on was distracted to Central before that became too obvious what was going on. To try and make it right, they put these magnet programs at each school to give kids school choice options to mask it as if the kids had options. We all know that kids go where there friends are so Andrews has seen little benefit in diversity from the aviation academy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Champ_24
Regardless of the situation inherited by the new coach, it still makes zero sense to me how the JV team has numbers to play yet "aren't ready" 4 weeks after the first practice date. Do they not practice with the varsity kids?

Last edited:
I agree Deep River kids, Johnston st kids, oakview area kids, West Hartley area kids ALL should be at Andrews its literally less than 3 miles away. SMH sad

Champ 24 I can top that....we've had kids that literally live across the street from Reidsville high school...but a gutless school board would allow them to go to Rockingham County high school (6 miles away in Wentworth).....this is the main reason Reidsville is 2A size instead of 3A...................

Wow right across from Reidsville? I dont get the point of the school board to inflate 1 school and deflate another

Reactions: rambbq
Champ 24 I can top that....we've had kids that literally live across the street from Reidsville high school...but a gutless school board would allow them to go to Rockingham County high school (6 miles away in Wentworth).....this is the main reason Reidsville is 2A size instead of 3A...................
Sad but true. And we all know why.

Champ, you hit the nail on the head with the areas you highlighted. Sounds like you know High Point fairly well. Those areas for nearly 40+ years bled Red Raider red. You had a school that was once the poster child for balance and diversity always maintaing a 50-50 or 60-40 split at worst in demographics to now it's a modern day cooley high. It's a shame really. Candidly, it's amazing that Andrews has continued to win a state title in football, multiple in track, basketball and competed well deep into the playoffs in many other sports during the last 10-15 years. It's also disheartening when you start to see many of the marquee last names that were staples at High Point Andrews, starting to show up at Central and Southwest, and even Ragsdale to a lesser degree as these former legends are having kids come up through the ranks.

Talked to a former Red Raider star last week when I saw his grandson's name in the paper as being the leading tackler for HP Central as a freshman. He said the same thing. It's a shame what's being done, or not being done at Andrews. School has a lot of history and pride but it's systematically being eroded by politics and influence.

I sincerely hope that the school and the AD seek input from those in the community, and put together a formal advisory board to sit in on the process of hiring of the next football coach. Football and athletics as a whole are a cornerstone for academic and overall school success and atmosphere at an inner city school like Andrews and they can not afford to make the wrong hire in the offseason. A lot of past blame to be shared with leadership, as well as the community as a whole for lack of involvement in the last 10 years. New leadership has at times isolated former influential leaders in fear that it would overshadow them trying to make a name for themselves as principals. The community has also done a very poor job in continuing to support the kids despite the inherent challenges that exist with all that Guilford County schools has done.

HP Andrews have by far the worst offense I have ever seen. Just watched them lose to SWG and man Andrews has size and ATHLETES everywhere but their offense is built for the 60s. With the amount of talent on this team it is hard to understand why the hc run only 3 plays, punt on 3rd and 21, doubt offense got over 100 yards. SW could had and should had won by 40. Andrews is a very undisciplined team as well. Coaching is not very good. #5,#27,#1 and #15 are STUDS on both sides of the ball. Damn open up the offense this isnt pee wee football

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Heard the same thing out of the game tonight from a friend. Said red raiders have talent and size in spots to be dangerous in 2A yet severely unorganized. Also said special teams are embarrassing.

Gone I took my son to the game and he the nerve to ask me if this was a middle school game :p. He said these teams are nothing like Mallard Creek or Scotland. I explained to him COACHING is what makes a good team GREAT and a mediocre team TERRIBLE.

My 8 yr old called each play in the 2nd half before the play happened. Unbelievable the amount of size and skill to be so dreadful offensively and not disciplined at all. The HC stated out loud "it's just a game Chris", players didn't seem to react nor respect what he was saying or doing. You could easily tell he dont have any control over this team and may be in over his head.

#34 QB for SW is a gamer. Love his temperament and confidence. He makes their offense go. Team follows his lead without a doubt. #2 ILB for SW is a monster. They're not a bad team and they should had put 40 on the board.

Last but not least Andrews have zero Captions or Leaders. HC blames kids instead of coaching them up. 704 football is light years advanced compared to 336 outside of Page and Dudley. Given the amount of talent on this roster. 1 would think winning games would come easy. Guess not. Not bashing anyone just an honest assessment of the game. BTW Andrews lone touchdown came by way of an INT returned by the DEFENSE.

Sounds like last week Defense is solid they where put in bad situations due to the offense and special teams. SE scoreing drives where no more then 40 yards

CHAMP 24 when you are assessing coaches in the 336 area code.......you forgot to mention Reidsville and their head guy Jimmy Teague...who except for a 3 year sabbatical has been head man since 1992....His record for the Rams is 258 Wins..32 Losses....with 5 State titles.....Sorry to hear of HPA's troubles...they were truly one of the state's powers in years past.....................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT