ADVERTISEMENT

HD/Cherokee Girls

Yep I just confirmed it .. This is one I been wanting to see too... Glad the coaches or ads worked it out ..

I don't know for sure but I seriously doubt the Varsity Boys will be playing. It was my understanding that that was one of the reasons the game scheduled for February 2nd didn't pan out. HD JVs couldn't play that day due to already having a game scheduled and the HD Varsity Boys didn't want to play so that left Cherokee traveling for only one game. I am not sure if the JVs are playing or not but I would assume that HD boy's coaching staff didn't change their minds about playing. Again, that is only an assumption but in all honesty, there's only one game I have been eager to see and that is the Varsity Girls anyway. If I find out there are more games scheduled then that is just an extra bonus.

Thanks WNC. I think everybody has been eager to watch these two girls teams hit the court against each other. I'm anxious to see everyone's predictions and team comparisons. Its gonna be a good one!

Originally posted by lad0215:
Thanks WNC. I think everybody has been eager to watch these two girls teams hit the court against each other. I'm anxious to see everyone's predictions and team comparisons. Its gonna be a good one!
Here is my early take:

Size and post play both go to HD. They are much bigger and are very good in a halfcourt game.

Guard play goes to Cherokee. Their point guard controls the game and makes good decisions. Their perimeter is better at ball pressure and reacts better in extending pressure full court. HD's point guard is very good on penetrating with the ball and sound defensively. This is more than likely the only position CHS will have a size advantage. The point guard matchup will go a long way in determining who wins. HD is a good shooting 3 point team, but I think Cherokee may shoot it a little better. I believe that if HD can make it a halfcourt game they win. HD will have to handle the pressure of CHS. If it is a run and gun affair the Lady Braves win.

This is a tough game to call but I will go with Cherokee by 4, in a large part because it is at Cherokee.

Our girls have been a nice surprise this year. I really thought our boys would be close to where they are but the girls have kept getting better all year.. This will be a tough game from all I've read but this group of girls never seem to fail to meet the level of play .. Our girls are lacking in the size dept but that's the way they have been the last few years.. I think it will be a good game and hopefully the girls can pull it out ..

The Lady Braves and the Lady Eagles are both highly talented, highly motivated, and well coached teams. This is going to make for a great game. In response to previous comments, I would like to say the following:

When making team comparisons, it is very difficult to make assessments based on only one or two areas. First and foremost basketball is a TEAM sport and the game will NOT be won by one or two players just like it will not be lost by one or two players.

Let me bounce a couple of things off the wall that were mentioned in a previous comment:

Ø Guard play: The comment seemed to only address offensive guard play. On that note, I don't like to mention individuals in posts about team sports, but since the point guard position was already mentioned in an earlier comment, I would like to add that HDs point guard is also able to handle the pressure and control the court but I do not think this position alone will determine the outcome of the game. It is a TEAM sport. I think a lot will be determined by how the teams handle the defensive pressure on the backcourt. If you haven't had the wave of defense HD can produce in your face, it is hard to tell what the guard play will be. It's hard to shoot 3 pointers with someone's hand in your face. Both teams will have to work hard under defensive pressure to get open and get good shots.

Ø Team speed: HD's team speed is deflating to other teams. Cherokee has tremendous speed as well. This may be more about endurance than speed.

Ø Pressure: Almost every team HD has played has attempted to run a full court press. After halftime they seem to move away from it. HD is too deep and team speed is too much. HD's full court and half court pressure creates a lot of points from turnovers. The team that benefits will be the one that can last the longest. It is unlikely that either team will do a lot of running and gunning.

Ø Home court: This is definitely an advantage for Cherokee. The openness of an arena venue versus the typical gym venue will take a little while to get used to. Depth perception has been proven to be different. Great thing about it being on a Saturday is there is plenty of time to shoot-around

As far as my prediction of the winner of this game..it will be the TEAM that shows up to play.

Well I for be can't wait to watch this one .....I'll pay my money and get some pop corn and enjoy it .... Wish smokey boys were playing our boys after then it be a perfect wnc night

This post was edited on 1/27 9:27 AM by BravesGWY

WNC1A, yes it will be a TEAM win, but if you watch basketball surely you realize it is about match ups. You are obviously a HD supporter but I support neither. I just gave my honest opinion of the keys to the game. I have seen both teams play, have you? This is just my UNBIASED look at the keys of the game.

Looks like he is saying because cherokee has a great player they won't win.. I would say the other players will make you pay dearly if you focus on her ... I think both teams are very good. I haven't seen hiwasse play but our girls don't back down... Can't wait to watch ..

This post was edited on 1/27 5:11 PM by BravesGWY

I don't think he was saying that at all about the one player. In fact he said it wouldn't be lost because of one player as well.

You brought up another point I have been meaning to ask about. Why don't Cherokee and Smokey Mountain play? Smokey has had arguably the best team in the mountains the last few years and the Braves are exciting too. Only makes sense to me.

Originally posted by gal durnit:
I don't think he was saying that at all about the one player. In fact he said it wouldn't be lost because of one player as well.

You brought up another point I have been meaning to ask about. Why don't Cherokee and Smokey Mountain play? Smokey has had arguably the best team in the mountains the last few years and the Braves are exciting too. Only makes sense to me.
I'd like to see that, too. Smoky's girls had been down for a few years, but they're strong this year, as well. Would be two great games, I think. And I'm sure the gate would be huge considering how close the schools are.

I ask that a few years ago as it seems like we play smokey in every other sport and it was said that smokey didn't want to play our girls .. I know coach Mintz and Tullos haven't backed away from any one, but I sure would love to see those boys and girls play this year.... The crowd would be crazy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT