ADVERTISEMENT

Grimsley vs Porter Ridge

RammanuelKant

Aug 27, 2006
Pirates traveling to Greensboro’s venerable Jamieson Stadium for a 2nd Round matchup against the defending 4A State champs riding a 21 game winning streak. Any thoughts?

Watched Grimsley coaching staff make incredible adjustments last year during a comeback win against Butler, down 21-0. I’ll take Grimsley.

Watched Grimsley coaching staff make incredible adjustments last year during a comeback win against Butler, down 21-0. I’ll take Grimsley.
What adjustments? Butler gave the game away.

What adjustments? Butler gave the game away.
Of course they made adjustments. That’s how they were able to make plays on the offense side of ball, which they didn’t do in the 1st half, and stop Butler’s offense. It was a huge momentum swing. Butler never countered. So yes, they gave the game away.

Reactions: Veejay4
A team will need at least four touchdowns to beat Grimsley. With Shaw rounding back into shape, the Whirlie front four presents problems. QB Barnett is playing as well at that position as anyone in the state, averaging 265 yds/game with 38 TDS and only 3 picks.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
How many Pirates play for the Whirlies?
Like 2. It’s funny listening to the butthurt in this thread like the same thing wasn’t happening to Grimsley for decades on end. They lost players to different schools all the time over the years. Page just can’t stand that the school down the road that they’ve always dominated is top dog now.

How many Pirates play for the Whirlies?
Like 2. It’s funny listening to the butthurt in this thread like the same thing wasn’t happening to Grimsley for decades on end. They lost players to different schools all the time over the years. Page just can’t stand that the school down the road that they’ve always dominated is top dog now.

Currently 3, 1 already graduated, but 4 players total transferred from Page, 2 of them being D1 athletes. Lawson Albright (now at Northwestern University), starting QB Alonza Barnett (James Madison U commit), starting RB Jeiel Melton, and starting safety Antione Shaw.

Page has never had 4 players with two of them being D1 players transfer over from Grimsley in the span of a year, and then go on to win a State title with said players leading the offense. Page fans aren't used to losing needless to say, but I will say that Grimsley being relevant is a good thing for the rivalry and Greensboro area football in general. I wouldn't say that we "can't stand it," I for one, would just like to see Grimsley win something organically with their own players and not with numerous starters from other teams. It will be interesting to see what the Whirlies can do in the future with their own players leading the offense in the backfield.

Reactions: nepsy7
Currently 3, 1 already graduated, but 4 players total transferred from Page, 2 of them being D1 athletes. Lawson Albright (now at Northwestern University), starting QB Alonza Barnett (James Madison U commit), starting RB Jeiel Melton, and starting safety Antione Shaw.

Page has never had 4 players with two of them being D1 players transfer over from Grimsley in the span of a year, and then go on to win a State title with said players leading the offense. Page fans aren't used to losing needless to say, but I will say that Grimsley being relevant is a good thing for the rivalry and Greensboro area football in general. I wouldn't say that we "can't stand it," I for one, would just like to see Grimsley win something organically with their own players and not with numerous starters from other teams. It will be interesting to see what the Whirlies can do in the future with their own players leading the offense in the backfield.
Two of those " transfers " are the Grimsley AD's kids. You seem to be grasping for thin straws. How many athletes have transferred into Page the last five years ?

Two of those " transfers " are the Grimsley AD's kids. You seem to be grasping for thin straws. How many athletes have transferred into Page the last five years ?
Pirate44 can’t be satisfied with his team’s many accomplishments over these many years. He has to discredit others around him. With attitudes like that, no wonder nobody wants to transfer to Page anymore.

Pirate44 can’t be satisfied with his team’s many accomplishments over these many years. He has to discredit others around him. With attitudes like that, no wonder nobody wants to transfer to Page anymore.
Whoa. The wicked savagetry is strong with this one lol

Reactions: mrhonda
Incorrect, I wasn't even counting the other younger Albright kid, because he didnt transfer. just the older one Lawson, who played for Page for 2 years.

Last edited:
Look guys, transfers happen, yes. I'm not saying Page has never gotten any (although i cant remember specifically any coming in from Grimsley...). All I've said was that it was weird seeing 2 Page players play as Grimsley's starting QB and RB the past 2 seasons. On top of that, they win a title with said players. You're telling me that if Page had won the 4AA title back in 2011 with Grimsley starters transferring in at QB and RB, that Whirlie faithful wouldn't say anything? pssshhh yeah right, its a huge rivalry for a reason, a little bit of talk here and there is normal. its what makes a rivalry so great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT