ADVERTISEMENT

Grimsley v. Cardinal Gibbons

RammanuelKant

Aug 27, 2006
Whirlies defensive front seven is scary good led by #2 (6-6, 330 Jr.), Travis Shaw and four Senior LBs who can all make plays. #22 at DE simply can’t be blocked without help. DBs pillage errant passes frequently. Inside run against Whirlies is futile.

Offensively, RB #15 has gotten better every game and allows Grimsley to control clock. #14 QB can score from anywhere at anytime on the ground and from the air. Add in 5-6 dangerous receivers and a steadily improving (and young) OL and Grimsley is solid on both sides of the ball.

Butler game was a classic and they were scary good as well.

Reactions: Veejay4
Whirlies defensive front seven is scary good led by #2 (6-6, 330 Jr.), Travis Shaw and four Senior LBs who can all make plays. #22 at DE simply can’t be blocked without help. DBs pillage errant passes frequently. Inside run against Whirlies is futile.

Offensively, RB #15 has gotten better every game and allows Grimsley to control clock. #14 QB can score from anywhere at anytime on the ground and from the air. Add in 5-6 dangerous receivers and a steadily improving (and young) OL and Grimsley is solid on both sides of the ball.

Butler game was a classic and they were scary good as well.
I agree with everything that’s been said about Grimsley! I’ve seen them play and I feel like it’s their year to win it. I’d be interested to hear about Cardinal Gibbons.

Reactions: RammanuelKant
These kids want it, especially after falling short against E. Forsyth in 2019. I've been following CG for around 12 years and this defense is about as physical as I can remember. #95, #45 both corners and both linebackers are extremely talented. #12 is one of the most physical cover corners I have ever seen at CG. Their QB is very accurate and has gotten good protection from the O line all year. #2 and #23 are playmakers and will be very hard to control. I don't know much about Grimsley but this looks to be a great match-up of two of the best teams in the state.

Reactions: remotecougar
Gibbons is solid all around. I could be wrong, but the corners and LB and most the DL were underclassmen playing in the championship game last year. So there is big gam experience. They are talented at all levels. Most surprising thing seen in their last 3 games is the speed. Blown assignment last week aside I have not seen anyone out run them on either side. That includes NB and Richmond. Not huge but not small. Offensively much more diverse and efficient than what you saw from Butler. This should be a good one. Leaning to Gibbons on experience and depth.

These kids want it, especially after falling short against E. Forsyth in 2019. I've been following CG for around 12 years and this defense is about as physical as I can remember. #95, #45 both corners and both linebackers are extremely talented. #12 is one of the most physical cover corners I have ever seen at CG. Their QB is very accurate and has gotten good protection from the O line all year. #2 and #23 are playmakers and will be very hard to control. I don't know much about Grimsley but this looks to be a great match-up of two of the best teams in the state.
Grimsley will be the most physical team Gibbons has played this season. Big, fast, and physical. Gibbons will be competitive, but I have the Whirlies by 10.

What makes Grimsley better and more physical than Richmond? You predicted Richmond to lay the wood. I have not seen Grimsley. I saw Gibbons earlier in the year against Millbrook and Richmond

Reactions: crusaders13
Much respect to Grimsley on their great season, but I see Gibbons taking this one. I realize Grimsley is tough on both sides of the ball, but I know they haven't seen the formations coming at them Friday night. CG can and will adjust. The Gibbons defense has also held strong all year. I predict a Gibbons win in a competetive game.

Reactions: UNC91
Much respect to Grimsley on their great season, but I see Gibbons taking this one. I realize Grimsley is tough on both sides of the ball, but I know they haven't seen the formations coming at them Friday night. CG can and will adjust. The Gibbons defense has also held strong all year. I predict a Gibbons win in a competetive game.
The euphemism of ‘haven’t seen the formations’ of CG is funny to me. I am sure both coaching staffs have seen every snap that their opposition has run this year and have devised sets to counter those formations. Gibbons could be putting in new formations this week, but they would probably be the only ones Grimsley has ‘never seen’. I expect a competitive game as well but let’s see what both teams have in the tank come 4th quarter.

Grimsley 27-14

I think a lot of folks outside the triangle think scheme and dream... We learned on 2018 when they showed up in WF and gave us our first loss in 3 years. Not what we expected. They had lots of depth, speed and skill. This is not just a well coached team. It is a big well coached experienced fast team. 2021 looks a lot like 2019.

Reactions: crusaders13
Greensboro Senior High Purple Whirlwinds by fourteen.
GSO,
I had to purchase 2 different pods of 4 tickets

The first set of pod 4 seats is for Rufus, Neptun, Dallas, and Boquisha. They want to sit in the nose bleed section just so they can look at the horizon.

The second set of pod 4 seats is for Sterling, Rhet, Vernon, and Sawyer. They want a football so they want to sit right smack behind the field goal post.

The security fellers said no goats were allowed in. I instantly thought about you.

Is there any way you can overturn that?

GSO,
I had to purchase 2 different pods of 4 tickets

The first set of pod 4 seats is for Rufus, Neptun, Dallas, and Boquisha. They want to sit in the nose bleed section just so they can look at the horizon.

The second set of pod 4 seats is for Sterling, Rhet, Vernon, and Sawyer. They want a football so they want to sit right smack behind the field goal post.

The security fellers said no goats were allowed in. I instantly thought about you.

Is there any way you can overturn that?
Please inform Boquisha she owes me twenty dollars i loaned her at the Cleveland County Fair in the early 70's to attend the hoochie coochie show.

7:00 PM - Cardinal Gibbons vs. Grimsley

4A Championship @ UNC

• Streaming: NFHS Network
  • Asheville: WMYA MyNet
  • Charlotte: WCCB/MeTV
  • Greensboro: WMYV - MyNet
  • Raleigh: WRDC My28

Will this game be on the internet.

8 classifications. 2 of the 8 playing in state finals are open enrollment private religious schools. Forsyth County is open enrollment. How ever did East Forsyth become so dominant? Hell, let’s invite Tommy Knotts back. How can the NCHSAA allow such bullshit!
Yea, I don't want to talk bad about East here, but they can attribute a lot of their success to open enrollment.

Yea, I don't want to talk bad about East here, but they can attribute a lot of their success to open enrollment.
I’m talking more about the bull NCHFS that allows multiple different enrollment scenarios compete on the same platform. People talk about mountain football. Let’s open enrollment in WNC!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m talking more about the bull NCHFS that allows multiple different enrollment scenarios compete on the same platform. People talk about mountain football. Let’s open enrollment in WNC!
It's a county issue. Trust me there's negative and positive with open enrollment. Personally to me, the negatives outweigh the positives but that's another issue.

Congratulations to Grimsley for the win. How many interceptions did they have in this game. Impressive defense.
Congratulation to Grimsley. They played well. Thought our sophomore QB was just having jitters the first half, but 4 interceptions on the night, and it wasn't going to happen for CG. I'm sure the pressure from the Grimsley D had something to do with that. Grimsley QB was excellent, made big plays when it counted. Again, congrats to Grimsley on winning the championship.

Congratulation to Grimsley. They played well. Thought our sophomore QB was just having jitters the first half, but 4 interceptions on the night, and it wasn't going to happen for CG. I'm sure the pressure from the Grimsley D had something to do with that. Grimsley QB was excellent, made big plays when it counted. Again, congrats to Grimsley on winning the championship.
Gibbons had a fine team and best defense Whirlies saw this year.

Congrats to Grimsley on the 4A state title, had to do it with numerous Page players, but congrats nonetheless! ;)

Good win for Greensboro football and for the rivalry in general. Glad to see Grimsley relevant.

Congrats to Grimsley, the better team won tonight. CG had a shot in this game but turnovers killed any chance they had. The bad snap on a punt lead to a TD and too many under thrown passes. CG QB just didn’t make the throws needed to win this type game. #2 is a great looking kid and obviously has a higher ceiling than anyone else out there but #95 for CG was the best player on the field. That kid was something. He could not be blocked or slowed down 1 on 1.

Butler vs Grimsley was a much better game.

Congratulations to Grimsley but Butler really blew it last week and could have had another championship. Butler tweeted earlier this week they have a major schedule announcement. The last time they went to Greensboro and lost (Page), they scheduled them a year or two later. Make me wonder.

Reactions: nepsy7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT