ADVERTISEMENT

Get rid of east-west format

Was K. Bryant on that Tarboro team?? later played at UNC and for the Redskins (oops did I just post that?)....................
No he played at Tarboro in the 70’s. I’m not sure of the exact years.

Yep. The 3A title we won in 1984 against Kanapolis-Brown is arguably the most impressive title we’ve won - because they only had one champion per division, they played at the higher seeds home field, and the rumor was that Brown had more members in their band than Tarboro had on their entire football team....also Tarboro held brown to 0 first downs the entire game.
I remember reading about that game

i couldn't remember. Knew Tim Worley was from eastern part of the state. Tarboro has had some beasts at RB with Gurly, Bryant, and Dozier. WOW

Can we have all semi finals and championship games at central locations. The west clearly is the better division. I'm tired of wasting money on blowouts. This is starting to get ridiculous
Simple. No. The East needs to get better. Plain and simple. Not trying to be insensitive, but on the field is what I am referring to.

Last edited:
While the economic disadvantages have been highlighted, I'll say the HC not being in the building comment I saw earlier is more telling than that.
The state needs to do a better job when it comes to funding schools across the state period, but it seems the east lags behind considering the only real population center east of Raleigh are Greenville/Wilimington.
One thing I noticed of east teams that we have played is they simply do not set the edge. We've been able to shut down teams in title games by setting the edge on defense and when you do that and they cannot get their playmakers going east/west it really hampers them. An example was the little jet pop pass that Havelock had. It was shutdown all night, yet watching it on film it was one of their most successful plays.

In one of my previous posts in this thread I mentioned coaching. CC listed Wilmington and Greenville as population centers but NH County has 245k and Pitt County has 180K in the entire county. I think 80 -100 K move into Charlotte every year not to mention the surrounding bedroom communities. The coach has to have a reason to be in these smaller communities and that reason isn’t just football because they can get that anywhere. Even if you get a good coach he may have trouble finding quality assistant coaches.

Last edited:
In one of my previous posts in this thread I mentioned coaching. CC listed Wilmington and Greenville as population centers but NH County has 245k and Pitt County has 180K in the entire county. I think 80 -100 K move into Charlotte every year not to mention the surrounding bedroom communities. The coach has to have a reason to be in these smaller communities and that reason isn’t just football because they can get that anywhere. Even if you get a good coach he may have trouble finding quality assistant coaches.
All good points. I’d pause on the 100K a year. Maybe in the total metro area, but not that many even. Population center was a loose term. Population center was relative to other cities in the eastern part of the state.

Reactions: CatScratchFever23
Regarding Kelvin Bryant. Had had finished at UNC by the time Tarboro beat Kannapolis in the 3A title game.

Last edited:
And finding jobs for their spouse is a big problem in the East. Not a problem in the bigger cities which is why everyone is moving out of rural areas anyway. Can't support a family as a HFC in a small rural area.

A metro area state champion coach was interested in a Craven County job but his wife would have taken a huge pay cut. That may not be as much the case as the working remote systems seem to be growing but not all jobs will be that way.

Reactions: UNC91
A metro area state champion coach was interested in a Craven County job but his wife would have taken a huge pay cut. That may not be as much the case as the working remote systems seem to be growing but not all jobs will be that way.
Happened at New Bern more than once about 4 years ago.

Ain't nothing wrong with the Wing T! Murphy runs it right? WRH has won a few with it. Didn't Robbinsville used to run it? Who else ran the Wing T this weekend from the east that lost? Gotta run what you have the athletes for and to be a great spread team, you must have the QB to get it done.
Northside ran a version of the Wing T. I agree that you have to run what you have the athletes for. Murphy adapted the Wing T to the Spread T when they had a very mobile QB in Seth Curtis. The coach also has to be willing to adapt to game situations. Northside did a very good job shutting down the Murphy running game but luckily Murphy had a passing game to fall back on and a defense that kept the Northside offense in check with the exception of one long run for a TD.

Northside ran a version of the Wing T. I agree that you have to run what you have the athletes for. Murphy adapted the Wing T to the Spread T when they had a very mobile QB in Seth Curtis. The coach also has to be willing to adapt to game situations. Northside did a very good job shutting down the Murphy running game but luckily Murphy had a passing game to fall back on and a defense that kept the Northside offense in check with the exception of one long run for a TD.
Oh word. You need to marry the Wing T with the spread T. They are so easy to put together and make simple for your players. Just be able to run Waggle, Power Pass, Belly Pass, Bubble, etc.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
Oh word. You need to marry the Wing T with the spread T. They are so easy to put together and make simple for your players. Just be able to run Waggle, Power Pass, Belly Pass, Bubble, etc.

Much of the spread used today is already based on Wing T/ Single Wing principles.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
Yep. The 3A title we won in 1984 against Kanapolis-Brown is arguably the most impressive title we’ve won - because they only had one champion per division, they played at the higher seeds home field, and the rumor was that Brown had more members in their band than Tarboro had on their entire football team....also Tarboro held brown to 0 first downs the entire game.
I think it was 84 we played Tarboro in the playoffs. We had a terrible first half and was down multiple scores and almost came back to win in the 2nd half. What I would have given to have another minute on that clock. Jesse Campbell had one of the best halves of football in that 2nd half.

I think it was 84 we played Tarboro in the playoffs. We had a terrible first half and was down multiple scores and almost came back to win in the 2nd half. What I would have given to have another minute on that clock. Jesse Campbell had one of the best halves of football in that 2nd half.
Was that the game that was so durn cold?

I think that was Burlington Williams that was so cold. Action on the field made it even colder. Lol

I didn’t make the Burlington game. I went to a play off game in Tarboro that was really cold. Couldn’t remember if that one was it.

Last edited:
I didn’t make the Burlington game. I went to a play off game in Tarboro that was really cold. Couldn’t remember if that one was it.
I don't really remember but it was the playoffs so it probably was cold. What I do remember was Dick Sheridan sitting with us to watch Jesse.

What school are you from?

I think that was Burlington Williams that was so cold. Action on the field made it even colder. Lol
Looking at history, Williams and Cummings used to be power houses. They both just hit the bottom like HP Andrews. Reidsville is like the last titan standing from that group.

Looking at history, Williams and Cummings used to be power houses. They both just hit the bottom like HP Andrews. Reidsville is like the last titan standing from that group.

Off topic, but I think Cummings will be a sleeper in the east this season. Would be nice if they were able to have a nice season

Alamance County as a whole baffles me. Western and Eastern have good teams, but the drop off after that is ridiculous. Southern used to be the only AC team that was "not good". What the heck happened? Someone fudge with the districts that much? Wasnt too long ago Williams, Cummings, Western, Eastern and even Graham were big time players

Alamance County as a whole baffles me. Western and Eastern have good teams, but the drop off after that is ridiculous. Southern used to be the only AC team that was "not good". What the heck happened? Someone fudge with the districts that much? Wasnt too long ago Williams, Cummings, Western, Eastern and even Graham were big time players
Without doing history searches, I am betting big time coach changes.

Reactions: Rammer16
Plus the district keeps tossing around the idea of shutting down Cummings and Graham, consolidating them and building a new high school... along with some redistricting.

That's a program crasher in itself. Even if it isn't written in stone yet.

Graham? Really? never knew about this, whats their story? Always saw them as an in the back ground school

Graham was pretty strong in the mid 60's....they played Pisgah for the Western 3A title in 1966....We (being Reidsville) upset them during the reg. season.....my Junior year).....................Also going way back....Reidsville (Western rep.) played Graham (Eastern rep.) in the state title game in 1954.....Reidsville winning 20-6............Ironically the two schools have been in the same conference a few times since then....the schools are only about 25 miles apart........................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT