ADVERTISEMENT

Gates County vs Tarboro (HomeComing)

With just 3 more weeks & it’s playoffs time! Time to buckle down really but we’re good. In a good position for the number 1 seed(if nothing crazy happens) but this should be another W for Tarboro. Nothing more nothing less
Tarboro big. Hopefully they’ll work on some things , and use this as a chance to tighten up in certain areas as they get ready to make this final run

I believe this is the best chance we’ve had to get another title in the last several years. I surely do not see the dominance that we had in 17-20, but I believe this team is more deep and better overall than the previous two, and may have more speed and depth than the 21 team that actually got a title.

I believe this is the best chance we’ve had to get another title in the last several years. I surely do not see the dominance that we had in 17-20, but I believe this team is more deep and better overall than the previous two, and may have more speed and depth than the 21 team that actually got a title.
Interested to see what other Viking fans think?

Reactions: Downeastsmashmouth
I agree. Gotta work on some things defensively though. I think offense wise we are good.

I was listening to the Martin Co. Radio broadcast of the game last week. I had to laugh at the color guy claiming that 2019 East Surry had shown everyone the blueprint on how to defeat Tarboro. That "blueprint" was a once in a decade possibility only a very few 1A schools could replicate. I would feel kind of insulted if I was a Mt. Airy player and anyone was still touting East Surry as a blueprint for taking Tarboro down. The Granite Bears can replicate the preparation, the toughness and the skill needed to compete with Tarboro, but the blueprint has and always will be the ability to not beat yourself under the intense pressure that Tarboro applies. The Havelock game exposed the Vikings in a way no 1A non-conference game could. It showed the Vikings players the many ways they can be exposed if the opposition doesn't beat itself. It was the Vikings that found ways to beat themselves against the Rams, but you won't find any 1A schools that can bring the kind of talent and system together that Havelock does consistently every year. I really hope we can keep that game on our schedule every year. It may be a likely L each season, but every team should be seriously tested early in the season so the coaches can truly assess what the team needs to improve on for the post-season.

At the end of the day, defense wins championships. If Martin County could have run their offense and fielded Mt Airy's defense this past Friday, Tarboro would have been toast. The Vikings aren't where they need to be, but they have been exposed enough on defense to draw up some improvements for the post-season. I like our chances, but the West always has someone that plays sound defense and can go deep.

I was listening to the Martin Co. Radio broadcast of the game last week. I had to laugh at the color guy claiming that 2019 East Surry had shown everyone the blueprint on how to defeat Tarboro. That "blueprint" was a once in a decade possibility only a very few 1A schools could replicate. I would feel kind of insulted if I was a Mt. Airy player and anyone was still touting East Surry as a blueprint for taking Tarboro down. The Granite Bears can replicate the preparation, the toughness and the skill needed to compete with Tarboro, but the blueprint has and always will be the ability to not beat yourself under the intense pressure that Tarboro applies. The Havelock game exposed the Vikings in a way no 1A non-conference game could. It showed the Vikings players the many ways they can be exposed if the opposition doesn't beat itself. It was the Vikings that found ways to beat themselves against the Rams, but you won't find any 1A schools that can bring the kind of talent and system together that Havelock does consistently every year. I really hope we can keep that game on our schedule every year. It may be a likely L each season, but every team should be seriously tested early in the season so the coaches can truly assess what the team needs to improve on for the post-season.

At the end of the day, defense wins championships. If Martin County could have run their offense and fielded Mt Airy's defense this past Friday, Tarboro would have been toast. The Vikings aren't where they need to be, but they have been exposed enough on defense to draw up some improvements for the post-season. I like our chances, but the West always has someone that plays sound defense and can go deep.
Idk if the color commentator was as bad as the lead commentator (if you can call him one) was at the game last Friday. That guy was a embarrassment. As for the whole blueprint to beat Tarboro, I agree MA showed the last two seasons you can beat Tarboro without a passing game. But you have to play smart discipline football on all sides of the ball and the last two years that's what MA did when they beat Tarboro. 2019 East Surry was a passing attack that I truly don't believe anybody in the 2a ranks even, would have been able to stop. The thing is, Tarboro has played a LOT of spread teams since that game and I can count on one hand the amount of times a team has come somewhat close to replicating what East Surry did that night. I agree with your post as well definitely spot on

Last edited:
Reactions: Downeastsmashmouth

I definitely agree. I don't think we showed anybody how to beat tarboro. Unless you've got a 6'7 quarterback that can sling the ball around to two or three division 1 prospects. That was a great team for us. But the bears would be the closest thing to showing people how to shut down that offense. Although it seems simple. Let's line up in a six-man front not let you block our linebackers and they're going to make every tackle. And we're going to match you pretty much with speed so that you can't run outside. That's easier said than done and not many teams except for the two last ones that the bears had could do it.. I don't know if this is a down time for tarboro or not I noticed their enrollments are getting smaller. And Mount Ai to y is getting bigger but boy the amount of athletes in that area is something else. He must have been an idiot. But he was from Martin county so you got to take that into account. The Vikings are going to be just fine. They're going to be in it every year.

I definitely agree. I don't think we showed anybody how to beat tarboro. Unless you've got a 6'7 quarterback that can sling the ball around to two or three division 1 prospects. That was a great team for us. But the bears would be the closest thing to showing people how to shut down that offense. Although it seems simple. Let's line up in a six-man front not let you block our linebackers and they're going to make every tackle. And we're going to match you pretty much with speed so that you can't run outside. That's easier said than done and not many teams except for the two last ones that the bears had could do it.. I don't know if this is a down time for tarboro or not I noticed their enrollments are getting smaller. And Mount Ai to y is getting bigger but boy the amount of athletes in that area is something else. He must have been an idiot. But he was from Martin county so you got to take that into account. The Vikings are going to be just fine. They're going to be in it every year.
I can assure you Tarboro is definitely not down. This team along with next year's team are VERY capable of winning it all. The last two years Tarboro ran into two all time great MA teams especially defense wise. I've seen many teams stack the box against Tarboro and it doesn't work at all. Haters can make fun of Tarboro's offense all they want, but it's hard to stop. You have to play smart discipline football and stay focused at ALL times. One wrong read and boom a Tarboro running back is taking it to the house. MA did a great job the last two years of doing those three things I stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT