ADVERTISEMENT

Game Updates

There are kids that have worked just as hard for that moment as the starters. Let em play. Like Bigoak said, if it's the starters that's one thing. The same if you're tossing it around every play or going for 2.

Let em play though. You never know when that kid that chucked a 60 yard bomb in the 4th is going to have to step into the starter role the next week. Especially in the times of Covid. You can only do so much in practice. No better time to show what you've got than a game.

There are kids that have worked just as hard for that moment as the starters. Let em play. Like Bigoak said, if it's the starters that's one thing. The same if you're tossing it around every play or going for 2.

Let em play though. You never know when that kid that chucked a 60 yard bomb in the 4th is going to have to step into the starter role the next week. Especially in the times of Covid. You can only do so much in practice. No better time to show what you've got than a game.
Sorry folks, but I completely disagree, especially with High School kids, what goes around come around, if someone throws a 60 yard TD pass on y’all up 50 I want you to remember what was said. It’s the perception of trying to run it up, you cant chunk it down the field and you can’t run trick plays, it’s that simple. Run your offense but put some limits on it. If something pops that’s one thing, but taking vertical shots in the passing game is over the line.

Sorry folks, but I completely disagree, especially with High School kids, what goes around come around, if someone throws a 60 yard TD pass on y’all up 50 I want you to remember what was said. It’s the perception of trying to run it up, you cant chunk it down the field and you can’t run trick plays, it’s that simple. Run your offense but put some limits on it. If something pops that’s one thing, but taking vertical shots in the passing game is over the line.
I agree. You cant tell a bench warmer not to score, but slinging the ball downfield whilst up big is classless, pure and simple. Isn't it funny, how it's always only one team that this gets brought up about? I recall their fans bragging about it a couple years ago, talking about "dropping dimes deep in the 4th", almost like our good buddy Rich Blackman used to...

I agree. You cant tell a bench warmer not to score, but slinging the ball downfield whilst up big is classless, pure and simple. Isn't it funny, how it's always only one team that this gets brought up about? I recall their fans bragging about it a couple years ago, talking about "dropping dimes deep in the 4th", almost like our good buddy Rich Blackman used to...
I agree with you. Like I said , up 50 with the starters in and throwing it deep is not the way to do things. 2nd and 3rd stringers on the field all bets are off. Let em play and play to score.. hate for the 2’s and 3’s go in to run 3 dives up the middle and punt. Those kids practice just as hard as the starters, their parents make the same sacrifices so give them the same opportunity to shine. Keep in mind theres still 11 players on each side of the ball no matter what the score is ! If you’re down 50 in the 4th and don’t want a long TD pass thrown on you PLAY DEFENSE !!!

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Meh, steam roll the opponent. If the defense can't stop you then that's their fault for allowing 50 plus points. However, if its 2 minutes or less in the forth I say call the dogs off and take a knee.
So…
With a running clock would that be with 4 minutes left take a knee?
I realize I’m an old guy but unless point spread has become a thing, and with Maxpreps super secret formula who knows, what’s the difference in winning by 50 or 56? Wait go for 2 and it’s 58! Woohoo!
Get out without anybody hurt and a W and without causing possible problems in the future or maybe the parking lot…

When I was coaching back in the early 80's, we were up on another team 43-0 with around 4 minutes to go in the game. Our reserves were playing and we had something like a 3rd and 6 to go for a first down. I sent a passing play in to simply pick up a first down and run out the clock. No more than that. Well, the back up quarterback spotted one of our receivers wide open downfield. What do you think he is going to do? He tosses a long touchdown pass and we are up 50-0. Man, that looked bad but how can you tell a kid not to throw that if it's there? Needless to say, after the game, the opposing coach wasn't too happy as he thought we had done that on purpose. I tried to explain what happened because I would not want that done to us either. He kept on my a$$ so I eventually told him he needed to do a better job of coaching and things like that wouldn't happen. He wanted to fight but I just walked off shaking my head. He wasn't coaching the following year.

The moral of the story is you can't tell backup players not to play hard when they get their chance.

Last edited:
It comes back on ya...remember there are teams like Reidsville and Shelby in 2a..and both will beat East Surry by 40...i just hope that when either of those two teams are up on East by 30 and the game is out of reach..that they keep the starters in...and keep it pushing...👍👍👍

Absolutely no class on last score
ES 60 yrd pass already up by 20 with less than 2mn left

I hope if MA does play them...that they beat ES by 60....CLASSLESS..
That play was solely about getting a kid a rep to prepare for the future. The receiver is a first year FB player, playing in only his 2nd FB game EVER (he didn’t play LL or in Middle School). Yes, he’s an athlete, but he still has a lot to learn regarding the intricacies of the position. ES had just ran the ball 3 times before that pass. Also the pass was a 20-25 yard pass, not a 60 yard pass downfield. Not the receiver’s fault that the DB fell down when they both went up for the ball. What’s he supposed to do, stop running? If it was a 40+ point lead with running clock and they were still throwing, you’d totally have a point. Throwing a 20-25yd pass to get in a rep for an inexperienced player isn’t running it up, at least not in those circumstances.

Whatever dude...totally uncalled for..and im sure the EW coach felt the same way...He has a lot of class from what i see. He wouldn't use reps as an excuse to even pass it when he's up 20 with less than 2mns left...So you can save that bs for someone else..Just remember..enjoy your run....Reidsville and Shelby..are waiting downstream...Good win ES..but pass unnecessary...and you know it dude..and it was a chunk downfield against a very inexperienced db that had got torched all night..easy target..he was a foot shorter honestly..def a good observation by the ES coach..but not neccesary...

So…
With a running clock would that be with 4 minutes left take a knee?
I realize I’m an old guy but unless point spread has become a thing, and with Maxpreps super secret formula who knows, what’s the difference in winning by 50 or 56? Wait go for 2 and it’s 58! Woohoo!
Get out without anybody hurt and a W and without causing possible problems in the future or maybe the parking lot…

It might be around the 4 minute mark. Mainly put in second string players in the 4th quarter and let the clock bleed. Sometimes we still end up scoring though.😁

Reactions: thekidd12
That play was solely about getting a kid a rep to prepare for the future. The receiver is a first year FB player, playing in only his 2nd FB game EVER (he didn’t play LL or in Middle School). Yes, he’s an athlete, but he still has a lot to learn regarding the intricacies of the position. ES had just ran the ball 3 times before that pass. Also the pass was a 20-25 yard pass, not a 60 yard pass downfield. Not the receiver’s fault that the DB fell down when they both went up for the ball. What’s he supposed to do, stop running? If it was a 40+ point lead with running clock and they were still throwing, you’d totally have a point. Throwing a 20-25yd pass to get in a rep for an inexperienced player isn’t running it up, at least not in those circumstances.
Hey when we going to get that big win from you all when you cancelled other week

Who was the qb that threw the pass and why didn't you just run the ball. Was you scared they might come back on you and win. Give me a break. Run the ball run the clock.

Hey when we going to get that big win from you all when you cancelled other week
Doesn’t look promising that MA and ES will meet up this year, but in the world of Covid you never know. If both teams happened to have other teams cancel on them in the same week due to Covid, I’d bet both schools would jump at the chance to make the game up. Bears are looking good so far this year! It’d be awesome if a rescheduling could happen later this season but as it stands right now neither team’s schedule is allowing it. Good luck to the MA squad - barring something drastic you guys are set up to breeze through the regular season and make a deep run in the playoffs.

I got a feeling if they played the BEARS this year they would have big trouble running or passing lol

ES..is no pushover...the Qb is poised..has decent escapability..and a cannon..they are not ES of the last three years..but not the pushover you Bears seem to think they are either...

can only play 10 games this season so it’s doubtful that Bears/Cards meet….last Non-con for Bears this week then it’s NW 1A play & Im about sure the league games will come first…anyone know for sure??

can only play 10 games this season so it’s doubtful that Bears/Cards meet….last Non-con for Bears this week then it’s NW 1A play & Im about sure the league games will come first…anyone know for sure??
I do believe league games do come first, the only way I see it possibly happening is what NW described. Mid week, both of your opponents Covid out and you guys playing. But you are correct, can not exceed 10 games.

MA had 2nd team in whole 2nd half with running clock. Ran ball every play idiot. Was 42-0 at half.
I don't care one way or the other what the score was..I was simply responding to someone from MA calling out ES when MI won 63-0. I know each team has guys that practice, run, sweat, and put on the uniform each day and they deserve to play just as much...and play the exact same way. You can't have 2 different offenses for the same team. That is stupid to expect any kid not to go in and play the way he expected to play. Goes back to it is my job to stop you and your job to stop me. Let's see who does it better...the only exception is maybe run a simple play instead of opening the playbook up 40...but again, it's not classless when other kids are playing just as hard. To me, that says something about the program and the expectations of ALL involved...

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Classless with the starting qb throwing bombs down the field with 1:45 left ..it wasn't the back up QB...and up 20...it's about the same as being up 20 and not taking a knee at the 1yd line when the other team has no timeouts and no shot to win..just so a reserve can score...but yeah...its about stoppin the other team...but win with class..it comes back your way..when not if..but when your team falls on hard times..trust me..when you face Shelby or Reidsville in the 2a playoffs and they're up by 30 on ya....you'll appreciate the Back up qb..just handing the ball to the fb/hb in between the hashes..instead of exposing your defense through the air to pad their stats..because maybe their coach wanted to make more of a statement..

Last edited:
Win by a lot, lose by a lot, win by a few lose by a few, every team has these experiences. What I have notice is that it is always the adults that complain. Players just play and only say something when influenced by adults. Football is a microcosm of life, players learn to deal with losses and move on down the road. Adults hold the grudges and play the never forget game. Should a coach run certain plays that appears to run the score up, probably not but we as adults should not take it out on the team that the young people are representing. They are kids and do not need immature adults putting them down and wishing blowouts on them. I think that we as adults take high school sports too seriously, where as many times the young men on the field see it as fun and are enjoying the moments with their teammates. Maybe we need to see the game from their perspective and enjoy it and root for our team and not wish bad on others. Remember that those young people are someone's children and are precious to their family.

True Statement ncballer...its obvious that it wasnt classless to you but needed and necessary for reps...good win to ES..they were the better team on that night definitely..i still say...Shelby..and Reidsville will be waiting...East Wilkes had several chances..but their offense sputtered at inopportune times...and i cant count how many td passes or just wide open passes they dropped..They had chances to compete better for sure...

I can remember 2019 East Surry played North Surry 7 on 7 East got out scored 7 to 3 every one was saying we weren't that good. We beat them in the real game 65 to 0. Don't put a lot of emphais in scrimmage games. I watched the game on TV by what I seen East Surry was the better team. I have no dog in the fight East Surry just looked like a better team.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWFB
If you don’t like someone scoring on you with 14 minutes left in the 1st quarter or 14 seconds left in the 4th quarter…then don’t let them.
I agree and sometimes when you get blown out or beaten pretty good it gives a team motivation to improve. The Reidsville and Shelby teams don't let up on you. It's like they not worried about the score they want seven more

True Statement ncballer...its obvious that it wasnt classless to you but needed and necessary for reps...good win to ES..they were the better team on that night definitely..i still say...Shelby..and Reidsville will be waiting...East Wilkes had several chances..but their offense sputtered at inopportune times...and i cant count how many td passes or just wide open passes they dropped..They had chances to compete better for sure...
You keep saying Reidsville & Shelby like that is supposed to bring fear to everyone who supports East Surry. Reidsville is a very familiar opponent and there is a ton of mutual respect between the 2 schools, players, and staffs. Would Reidsville win? Probably, but I don’t think ES will walk out scared to death like you think they should. Is Shelby good? Yes, everyone knows that, but they also aren’t as dominating as the Shelby teams once were (even their fans see that).

I’m sorry that a kid who has never played football before caught a pass with 2 minutes left and ran for a TD. I don’t know if that says more about him or more about the defense at EW? Good luck when you play MA, that will be 50-0 at halftime.

Reactions: VHSL-helper
You keep saying Reidsville & Shelby like that is supposed to bring fear to everyone who supports East Surry. Reidsville is a very familiar opponent and there is a ton of mutual respect between the 2 schools, players, and staffs. Would Reidsville win? Probably, but I don’t think ES will walk out scared to death like you think they should. Is Shelby good? Yes, everyone knows that, but they also aren’t as dominating as the Shelby teams once were (even their fans see that).

I’m sorry that a kid who has never played football before caught a pass with 2 minutes left and ran for a TD. I don’t know if that says more about him or more about the defense at EW? Good luck when you play MA, that will be 50-0 at halftime.
It’s Monday week 4 . Time to move on from week 3 . Agree or disagree is what it is . What’s week 4 look like for the cards. One set of cards will roll again and the next set of cards will be in a good one at the house . How’s East Wilkes match up with Wilkes central? Will Dave and the sauras have anything for the pilot cards?

EW should be a good game. Depending on of course who is in or out Covid wise...WC has had plenty of time to scout EW..but WC may be a lil rusty. They've had no games since week 1. Should be a good one.

Reactions: gdawg74
N. Moore and Chatham Central are the only 1A East schools that play football east of I-95.
Eastern Randolph is in the west which is the only reason they aren’t plying with NM and Chatham Central in that 1A/2A split conference. ER is 4 miles from the Chatham County line, but Randolph County is in the West, and Chatham County in the East. Thank the brain trusts at the NCHSAA for this rationale. Too much work to continued to do it the old way.

Eastern Randolph is in the west which is the only reason they aren’t plying with NM and Chatham Central in that 1A/2A split conference. ER is 4 miles from the Chatham County line, but Randolph County is in the West, and Chatham County in the East. Thank the brain trusts at the NCHSAA for this rationale. Too much work to continued to do it the old way.
ER is just 11 miles from J-M. Gotta look at that map to see how the dividing line is drawn. Guilford County is in the West, Alamance County is in the East. Montgomery County is in the West, Moore County is in the East. Anson County is in the West, Richmond County is in the East. Rockingham County is in the West, Caswell County is in the East. The NCHSAA basically made NC into two different states.

Well I personally like ER being in the conference they basically remained in. SWR replacing Andrews made it an all Randolph league. Built in rivalries and gates combined with limited travel is a win win. Even makes having Uwharrie in almost bearable…
Almost 😁

Reactions: Maiden Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT