ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEASON IN DOUBT

I am told by people who work closely with the Power Five Conferences and the TV Sports Networks that the outlook for college football this fall is "shaky" at best. And if there is no college football you can bet there will be no high school football as well.

Most educational administrators will not allow games if there are no students allowed in classrooms.

Looks like the best hopes at this time are for a limited number of games late this fall and/or early next year.

Do not forget Corona Viruses spread more and get worse in the autumn and winter months

I don't mean for this to sound as d*ckish as it's going to come across but I could've went outside and had a conversation with a tree in my yard, and walked away with the same conclusion. At this point, who didn't know the season was shaky?

The problem is that this is such a multi-faceted issue beyond what a friend of a friend is saying. There have been wars fought for much less than the amount of money that CFB generates annually and the decision makers know it. If you think COVID-19 is being politicized and monetized now, we're talking about multi-billions in economic impact, hanging in the balance. It's not so easy to just say GOODBYE to all of it and trust me, they won't. If there is even an ounce of opportunity to play, they will and it's likely that college sports as a whole is in the balance if they don't. With no March Madness revenue and no college baseball season, many colleges are slashing programs right and left over the summer. With no CFB, they'll all be on the docket for discussion.

The same goes for HS football at the local level. You can worry about all the "liberal politicians" you want but they know that with no HS FB season that NO OTHER SPORTS will have a season either. Without the breadwinner, there simply is no means to make it happen. I would say that it's more likely we'll have a spring season before they simply cancel football altogether. They need the gate and concession $$$ something fierce.
Just for your information, I do not rely on second or third hand information.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Yes.

2020 football season will happen. It might be in spring or shorter season though.
I think it will be sometime after nov 4th.

Reactions: UNC91 and 97Cougar
lol.....yeah that will work ....not......maybe east of Raleigh but the mountains and piedmont areas would be really rolling the dice as far as winter weather goes.....it snowed 14 inches here in Reidsville on Dec. 9th 2018 just before the state finals..........don't see a football season starting in Dec. as viable............................

Reactions: UNC91
State your terms, football fans. If you want to do dinner we can do it on a Friday night, that will work. Because as I said, there won't be any high school football to get in the way.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
If the football season doesn’t start by October 1, I don’t see it starting before March 1. And even that early is risky in much of the state.

I will be shocked if it's not a all or nothing kind a thing. I just don't see the coastal areas playing and the mountains not and then the piedmont trying to decide which region to follow.

The NCHSAA will anger some students, parents and fans regardless what they decide to do. I'm glad it's not my job. Anyway, like the old saying goes, I guess that's why somebody up there makes the big bucks.

I don't see how schools can afford to play the games without paying fans in the stands.

I don't see how schools can afford to play the games without paying fans in the stands.

Oh I agree. People on here were saying Onslow was all out about playing “according to their sources”. The season was going to on as scheduled and the Onslow schools were going to dominate because they had been practicing. I guess their sources didn’t include the school board.

I don’t know how I am going to coach a Middle School team this year. With the new tangled school schedule, I don’t know how I am going to have kids at practice.

don’t know how I am going to coach a Middle School team this year. With the new tangled school schedule, I don’t know how I am going to have kids at practice.

My man there is absolutely zero chance middle schools are playing football this year.

My man there is absolutely zero chance middle schools are playing football this year.

There is talk about trying to play. I wish we would delay and try some Spring ball. I think that would be kinda cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT